PDA

View Full Version : Will Wallace be as good/better than Santonio?

SH-Rock
05-18-2010, 03:54 PM
Do you guys think that Wallace can replace Santonio?

Not only do I think he can, I think he has too. That boy must work hard he has a lot of pressure on his hands now

AllD
05-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Apples and oranges. Holmes specialized in YAC and playoffs/Super Bowl. Holmes is probably the third best clutch Steeler receiver after Swann/Stallworth. Unfortunately he is a screw up off the field and has a high opinion of himself without regard to his drug problem.

Wallace's body of work is not large enough to determine a head-to-head comparison at this time although his speed allows him to stretch the field more. However, he has come up with some big catches already and his rookie stats were outstanding relatively speaking. His work ethic also seems better and he has that hunger to succeed without the prima donna bullsheet. Hopefully he doubles his superfan base this season with some clutch catches in the post season.

tube517
05-18-2010, 04:08 PM
Great point on the YAC. I was watching some 2008 games on my DVR and Tone is awesome in the open field. Wallace is going to stretch the field and I think Heath is going to have another good year. I hope MW17 can get in sync w/Leftwich because he said Byron guns the ball and Ben's throws are "soft".

In order for MW17 to have a good year, the #3 WR has to step up, be it Sanders, El, Battle or whoever else. We all know what El brings but I'm curious to see Battle and Sanders, and even the other rookie.

Apples and oranges. Holmes specialized in YAC and playoffs/Super Bowl. Holmes is probably the third best clutch Steeler receiver after Swann/Stallworth. Unfortunately he is a screw up off the field and has a high opinion of himself without regard to his drug problem.

Wallace's body of work is not large enough to determine a head-to-head comparison at this time. However, he has come up with some big catches already and his rookie stats were outstanding relatively speaking. His work ethic also seems better and he has that hunger to succeed without the prima donna bullsheet. Hopefully he doubles his superfan base this season with some clutch catches in the post season.

rich4eagle
05-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Santanio was a helluva player.........Wallace can be huge.............

at this point I cannot even support the question..............Santonio was huge playmaker loss...........can we replace him remains to be seen:tt04::applaudit:

polamalubeast
05-18-2010, 04:33 PM
It's still disappointing to have lost Santonio Holmes

They were incredible in the big game and he was very clutch.

It is not easy to replace.

But I think that Wallace will become an excellent player, but the loss of Santonio weakened our WR group.

One thing is on, Wallace can make the job, but I liked better than Santonio and wallace is still in the same team.

BlastFurnace
05-18-2010, 04:56 PM
I sure hope so. Santonio's play making ability and RAC are going to be hard to replace. I watched a highlight show of the 2008 season and Santonio is all over it.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Wallace is a Nate Washington kind of guy with deep speed, but not the route running, hands or RAC ability that Holmes had.

Basically, Wallace and his speed make teams have to keep a safety over to him for deep help, so that guys like Ward, Randle El, Miller, Sanders can work underneath. He's not the same player as Holmes, but more like Washington was.

pete74
05-18-2010, 05:58 PM
nobody can answer this right now. holmes is a great player and until we see some #1 CB's covering wallace we have no clue how he will do. wallace looked great his rookie year but alot is going to change from last year to this and i hope he can step up and and play great

as for everyone that voted wallace will be better then holmes, your just hoping. nobody has any clue and wont know until after this following season

MasterOfPuppets
05-18-2010, 05:59 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqal3HRugLM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqal3HRugLM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

MasterOfPuppets
05-18-2010, 06:06 PM
in 4 years holmes averaged 3.9 rec per game, and 63.9 yds per game. ... i'm pretty confident wallace could match those numbers from a starting role.

MasterOfPuppets
05-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Wallace is a Nate Washington kind of guy with deep speed, but not the route running, hands or RAC ability that Holmes had.

Basically, Wallace and his speed make teams have to keep a safety over to him for deep help, so that guys like Ward, Randle El, Miller, Sanders can work underneath. He's not the same player as Holmes, but more like Washington was.

could it be because he played a different role ? can you really compare a split end and a slot receiver ? are routes not designed for specific positions ?:noidea:
could it be he looked more like washington, because they played the same position and was asked to do the same things ?

zulater
05-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Wallace is much better than Nate.

Riddle_Of_Steel
05-18-2010, 06:31 PM
I would like to follow the emotions here and say that Wallace will eventually be better than Holmes, but we can't say for sure.

Yeah, Wallace looked great beating slot CB's and MLBs on deep patterns downfield, but will he be able to do that against teams' #1 and #2 CBs and defensive backs? Will he be as good without Holmes next to him to draw defenders?

I thought Holmes was wildly inconsistent when it comes to catching the ball-- I have seen him drop a fair share of balls that bounced right off his numbers on his jersey, but he got better. We did not get to see Wallace make too many clutch catches in traffic because he was usually 10 yards ahead of the defenders....

I remain optimistic...it took Holmes at least two seasons to emerge as a receiving threat. Maybe Wallace beats him to it.

zulater
05-18-2010, 06:37 PM
I would like to follow the emotions here and say that Wallace will eventually be better than Holmes, but we can't say for sure.

Yeah, Wallace looked great beating slot CB's and MLBs on deep patterns downfield, but will he be able to do that against teams' #1 and #2 CBs and defensive backs? Will he be as good without Holmes next to him to draw defenders?

I thought Holmes was wildly inconsistent when it comes to catching the ball-- I have seen him drop a fair share of balls that bounced right off his numbers on his jersey, but he got better. We did not get to see Wallace make too many clutch catches in traffic because he was usually 10 yards ahead of the defenders....

I remain optimistic...it took Holmes at least two seasons to emerge as a receiving threat. Maybe Wallace beats him to it.

Good post.

pete74
05-18-2010, 06:43 PM
ben and holmes were soley responsible for us running the final drive and beating arizona in the super bowl. holmes is a great wr and we can only hope wallace will be as good or better. with that said watching wallace in the green bay game this past season really gave me hope

HometownGal
05-18-2010, 07:46 PM
nobody can answer this right now. holmes is a great player and until we see some #1 CB's covering wallace we have no clue how he will do. wallace looked great his rookie year but alot is going to change from last year to this and i hope he can step up and and play great

as for everyone that voted wallace will be better then holmes, your just hoping. nobody has any clue and wont know until after this following season

^^This.

While I certainly believe Wallace certainly has the potential to become as good, if not better, than Santo, it is premature to make a solid prediction at this point in Wallace's career. For that reason, I declined to vote.

Galax Steeler
05-19-2010, 03:43 AM
Alot of Holmes receptions came on quick slants. This will know become Wallaces territory I believe he has the hands and speed to become every bit as good as Holmes. It will be interesting to see who the no.1 receiver in Pittsburgh will be this year.

stlrtruck
05-19-2010, 07:36 AM
I don't think the problem is going to be about Wallace being better than Holmes, the question is going to be whether or not our QBs can hit him in stride and not make him wait for the ball.

steelerschik
05-19-2010, 08:10 AM
I'm glad to see this question because we have a Pat's fan friend (yeah, sucks I know). He's basically stating the Steelers went backwards this offseason, lost our star WR and Ben for 25% of the season and that we are toast. I'm not sure how the Steelers went backwards either. Now he also said that Ben was healthy for all 16 games last season. I can remember that he was out for the Ravens game, but can anyone refresh my memory if he missed anymore than that? Honestly I think I blocked out all of last season from my memory and am trying to not remember! I loved Santonio on the field, but I'm just having a hard time thinking he alone (well according to Pats fan friend) could make or break this team. I loved watching Wallace last season, reminded me of Holmes. I think that kid is going to be something great on this team very much Holmes-like, so I would venture to say he will be at least as good as Holmes.

Steelers>NFL
05-19-2010, 09:00 AM
Not sure if he will be better than Tone.
But hopefully he will be better or do a lot less "showboating" after the play.
Once or twice, is ok. But Tones was pissing me off doing it after the end of
his play all of the time.

steel9guy
05-19-2010, 09:07 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqal3HRugLM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yqal3HRugLM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Great video. I think Wallace will be just as good if not better. But this will be his first test going up against 1 and 2 corners.

mikeyg
05-19-2010, 03:48 PM
Great video. I think Wallace will be just as good if not better. But this will be his first test going up against 1 and 2 corners.

so it sounds like you are hedging your bet there

he will be as good or better but up against #1's and 2's.

i don't know how well he gets off the line - he is small. Joey Galloway like.
ARE better still have something in the tank or we will ALL be missing Tonio by mid season.

tony hipchest
05-19-2010, 04:00 PM

:huh:

ward- 6'0" 205 lbs
wallace- 6'0" 199 lbs
holmes- 5'11" 192 lbs

he will be as big )if not bigger) than most the db's covering him so should be able to get off the line just fine. probably gonna take another year or 2 to be as good as holmes was though, which is fine, because holmes developed slowly.

Nadroj 20
05-19-2010, 04:05 PM
I think he has the potential to be better at some point in his career, and i really do not think hes too far off from being just as good as holmes now...(maybe 1 or 2 years).

Im a big wallace fan and i think this guy can be our guy for years to come.

Prok
05-19-2010, 04:14 PM
^^This.

While I certainly believe Wallace certainly has the potential to become as good, if not better, than Santo, it is premature to make a solid prediction at this point in Wallace's career. For that reason, I declined to vote.

Good point.

I voted as good though just because he looks to have as good or better potential than Holmes. Hopefully he is not into pot so much either. lol

But the kid definately has some serious upside. The seperation he gets deep stands out big time. If he improves the route running he's gonna be a damn good WR for years to come for us IMO.

I don't think that facing better CB's is gonna hinder him much either. It's all in how well he learns and how much film he's committed to studying.

I think we got a big star in the making with him.

:tt:

Psyychoward86
05-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Wallace has had a better rookie year than any single year that Nate Washington has had as a #3 receiver. That's not to say im on the Mike Wallace bandwagon yet, because let's be honest, he was going up against nickel corners and other back-up trash last year because opposing defenses were far more concerned about Hines, Santo, Miller, and containing Big Ben and Mendenhall. He isnt going to get the beauty treatment this year, he's going to be up against #1 and #2 corners. Even with Hines hitting up a 90+ reception, 1,000 year season, Wallace might face some double coverage.

God am i glad this team has a pretty nice plethora of weapons

steelerdude15
05-19-2010, 09:11 PM
I feel he'll fit in just nicely. :tt02:

Cinnjerm
05-19-2010, 09:14 PM
I think he'll be better. Think about where Holmes was at the same point in his career. Wallace was clutch in pretty much every opportunity he was given and to anyone who says otherwise I'd refer you to the first Bengal's game and obviously the Packers game from last year.

Psyychoward86
05-19-2010, 09:30 PM
I think he'll be better. Think about where Holmes was at the same point in his career. Wallace was clutch in pretty much every opportunity he was given and to anyone who says otherwise I'd refer you to the first Bengal's game and obviously the Packers game from last year.

......against backup defensive backs who barely see the field...

Riddle_Of_Steel
05-19-2010, 09:47 PM

I agree with you, my man. But thinking back to that Green Bay game-- that TD catch hopefully gives us a glimpse of what he will do. Against nickel corners or not, that catch was a thing of beauty that easily rivalled Homes' SB XLIII winning catch...

Steeldude
05-20-2010, 12:39 AM
Holmes is probably the third best clutch Steeler receiver after Swann/Stallworth.

i'll take ward and lipps before holmes. holmes' hands are just too inconsistent. i have also seen him give up on plays.

focosteeler
05-20-2010, 12:44 AM
I don't think the problem is going to be about Wallace being better than Holmes, the question is going to be whether or not our QBs can hit him in stride and not make him wait for the ball.

for sure!! there is no doubt in my mind if ben hits him in stride against the vikings when they are practically on the goal line its a 99 yard TD pass...watching those reverses on the highlight vid, you can see the afterburners kick in, i can only hope he gets the ball with one man to beat so i can watch him burn them.:tt04:

Galax Steeler
05-20-2010, 03:32 AM
ARE better still have something in the tank or we will ALL be missing Tonio by mid season.

He has to get off the line pretty darn fast because Ben don't have all the time in the world to throw the ball and Wallace is out catching bombs.:noidea:

pancake
05-22-2010, 04:44 AM

One thing I noticed on the high light reel, Wallace doesn't like contact.

Galax Steeler
05-22-2010, 04:47 AM

If I am running with the ball I wouldn't be looking for contact either.:chuckle:

jollyrob68
05-22-2010, 05:17 AM

Where did you see that he didn't like contact? He looked good to me.:tt:

Kindjunior
05-22-2010, 06:50 AM
There was no evidence on those highlights that indicates he doesnt like contact. Silly comment

SteelKnight
05-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Great point on the YAC. I was watching some 2008 games on my DVR and Tone is awesome in the open field. Wallace is going to stretch the field and I think Heath is going to have another good year. I hope MW17 can get in sync w/Leftwich because he said Byron guns the ball and Ben's throws are "soft".

In order for MW17 to have a good year, the #3 WR has to step up, be it Sanders, El, Battle or whoever else. We all know what El brings but I'm curious to see Battle and Sanders, and even the other rookie.

Some good points here.

LOL on Leftwich. I always have said he bullets everything and has no touch (even short passes). Balls will be bouncing off of people's hands and they will say if it touches your hands it should be a catch. Touch is important. I think Leftwhich does this because he's paranoid about interceptions. Batch is the opposite with his floaters. Ben throws it just right...with a good mixture.

I really hope Sanders wins #3. He can help stretch the field. I also hope they don't switch Wallace to running only those cross routes that Holmes ran. They sould still let him hit a lot of deep routes. I guess in the Steelers playbook, #3 goes deep. Nate Washington used to do that. Personally I don't think they sent Holmes deep enough times. In the pass 2 years Holmes only had 5 passes over 40 yards. Wallace had more than that in his rookie year alone as a non starter. My point is, I hope they don't start having him run only short and medium routes.

Steely McSmash
05-22-2010, 10:44 AM
I said Wallace will be better because to date, I think Holmes has only been good ON AVERAGE.

SBXLIII was by far his best performance up to that point. WR really start entering their primes in the third year so my guess is that Wallace projects to exceed the level of greatness Holmes showed here.

Holmes is still getting better IMO and might yet be a great receiver if he's able to produce consistently. He's very exciting with the ball in his hands.

OF course from last year's stats when Wallace catches the ball there's almost a 1 in 6 chance that it's going to end in 6 points. That's pretty exciting as well.

scsteeler
05-22-2010, 11:27 AM

Looking at the footage of Wallace he will get open and make the catch and burn you deep but he will not give you much yardage after first contact based on the 2009 highlights. that may change in 2010. I Think Wallace will be very good for us but yes I will miss Santonio.

Psyychoward86
05-22-2010, 07:30 PM

How much contact are you going to try to get yourself into when you have 4.3 40 speed?

Looking at the footage of Wallace he will get open and make the catch and burn you deep but he will not give you much yardage after first contact based on the 2009 highlights.

I think that's because he played a little slot for us too

zulater
05-24-2010, 07:32 AM

Nickel defensive backs see the field plenty, probably at least half the defensive snaps in a normal game.

Wallace has a lot to prove, we get that. But I guarantee you if you put Wallace on the trade market he'd bring you back a lot more than a 5th round pick. Holmes leaving opened the door for Wallace to show us what he's got. I think we're going to be quite pleased with the end result.