PDA

View Full Version : Woodson: Dixon is best choice for Steelers

mesaSteeler
05-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Woodson: Dixon is best choice for Steelers
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/05/18/woodson-dixon-is-best-choice-for-steelers/
Posted: May 18th, 2010
(Note there is a video with this article which is more complete than the article is. See link above. - mesa)

Mike Tomlin doesn’t want an open quarterback competition when the Steelers reach training camp. He told reporters Tuesday he’ll establish a clear pecking order among Byron Leftwich, Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch between now and then, as the Steelers determine their early season replacement for Ben Roethlisberger.

For now, it’s Leftwich getting the bulk of the first-team reps. But when NFL Network analysts Solomon Wilcots and Rod Woodson discussed the topic on NFL Total Access, there was a consensus: Dixon is the best answer for the Steelers.

“I believe this young man has the arm strength and he has the ability to understand the system and make some plays for this football team,” Woodson said. “They need some playmakers on offense, and I think he adds that at QB, just like Roethlisberger does.”

Added Wilcots: “I could see where you would want to start the veteran and maybe have the young player sitting in the wings. [Dixon] better get ready to play. He’s a guy who is very mobile. I think he can add to the offense, and not take away from it.”

tony hipchest
05-18-2010, 09:38 PM
jim miller had a similar take today on sirius-

dixon will cause defensive coordinators fits gameplanning for him and that he has been in the system long enough and has put in all the work to be ready to show what he's got (unlike jacarcas russell).

steel9guy
05-18-2010, 09:38 PM
Let Dixon have a chance at least. Byron is gonna get killed behind our o line.

steelpride12
05-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Why not. He is the future of this team at the QB position and the Ratbird's game early when he played well is n example of what he brings to this team. He will cause problems because of his mobility and his accuracy and skill reading the defense will come with experience.

Psyychoward86
05-18-2010, 10:01 PM

even with his nonexistent mobility and slow release, he barely got touched when he played for us in '08 because he got rid of the ball

devilsdancefloor
05-18-2010, 10:02 PM

i have to disagree i think with lefty in there things wil come out in time and he wil not ask the lineman to block for 6 to 8 seconds or longer. If it isnt there lefty will throw it away instead of waiting for or hoping for something to develop. But i have to agree with woodson. For 1 not alot of tape on dixon and what they have was a very vanilla game vs the ratbirds last year.:tt03::tt03:

GBMelBlount
05-18-2010, 10:12 PM
Woodson: Dixon is best choice for Steelers
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/05/18/woodson-dixon-is-best-choice-for-steelers/
Posted: May 18th, 2010
(Note there is a video with this article which is more complete than the article is. See link above. - mesa)

For now, it’s Leftwich getting the bulk of the first-team reps. But when NFL Network analysts Solomon Wilcots and Rod Woodson discussed the topic on NFL Total Access, there was a consensus: Dixon is the best answer for the Steelers.

“I believe this young man has the arm strength and he has the ability to understand the system and make some plays for this football team,” Woodson said. “They need some playmakers on offense, and I think he adds that at QB, just like Roethlisberger does.”

If you look long term and fully utilize his abilities, Dixon is the best choice imo.

zulater
05-18-2010, 10:30 PM
It's Tomlin and to a lesser degree Arians decision to make. I'll leave it to them to figure out who gives us the best chance to win. .

Merchant
05-18-2010, 10:58 PM
I got a feeling Lefty is going to be our starter coming out of the gates judging from the way things have been going. I want Dixon to win the job though, him taking snaps and getting a few more games under his belt is better for us in the long run if Ben goes down in the future and he's gotta step in.

BlastFurnace
05-18-2010, 10:59 PM
I hope Dixon does not start at all. I didn't see anything special at all in last years game against the Ravens.

.24lockdown
05-18-2010, 11:39 PM
I hope Dixon does not start at all. I didn't see anything special at all in last years game against the Ravens.

So don't start him because he wasn't "special" in his first career start in a primetime road game against a division rival, in basically a must-win situation.....??

scsteeler
05-18-2010, 11:56 PM

I saw a lot for a QB that had one day to prepare for the game with a limited about of reps and plays for him to get ready for the Ravens. I thought he performed very well. The Ravens are always tough to play against and for the most part you take away a couple of bad plays and he did a very good job.

I think there are two kinds of opinions when evaluating Dixon and that would be fans that see what Dixon can become if given the shot and chance to prepare as the starter and those that just see him as a gadget guy that can make a play running every once in a while.

I think Dixon should be given the chance to see if he has what it takes to be an NFL QB and if not then you know he will need to be a Slash type player or you cut him next year. I am one to believe that he can be a very good NFL QB.

zulater
05-19-2010, 12:08 AM
The coaching staff has an entire training camp and preseason to figure out who can best get the job done. I'll trust them to get it right and wish them all good luck.

Steeldude
05-19-2010, 12:42 AM
i'll take the pocket QB over kordell part 2

whoever does start i am sure we all agree that we want them to do well and help the team win games.

tony hipchest
05-19-2010, 12:47 AM
i heard an interesting stat today on NFL radio-

b. leftwich's last win as a starter in the nfl was in 2006 w/ the jags. i cant verify, but am pretty sure it is true.

07- didnt do shit w/ atl.
08- never started w/ steelers.
09- didnt do shit w/ tb.

hell, i think even batch won 2 games as a starter in 05 (which tells you how long ago lefty's final win was).

sometimes you gotta sink or swim with the young guys and art II has already put out the decree that he wants the youngsters developed more quickly.

i would hate to think arians or tomlins jobs are hinged upon bens fk-up, but who to start in the 1st 4-6 games can prove to be a crucial decision.

not that im worried... i have faith that d. lebeau and the defense will bail them out, yet again, regardless who starts.

shinoff2183
05-19-2010, 02:43 AM

You serious the ****er took us to almost winning the game, batch AINT GOT NOTHING ON HIM, AND LEFTWICH aint got nothing on him. Leftwich one against the redskins thanks to gays blocvked punt recovery.

Ill also add I think gay did just as good as taylor last year and everyone is calling for gays head, WTF

Galax Steeler
05-19-2010, 03:34 AM

But what about Pouncey.:chuckle:

DanRooney
05-19-2010, 03:47 AM
You serious the ****er took us to almost winning the game, batch AINT GOT NOTHING ON HIM, AND LEFTWICH aint got nothing on him. Leftwich one against the redskins thanks to gays blocvked punt recovery.

Ill also add I think gay did just as good as taylor last year and everyone is calling for gays head, WTF

Leftwich went 7 for 10 for 129 yards and a TD to Nate Washington in one half against the #4 defense that year. He outperformed Ben by a longshot in the first half which is understandable because they did not gameplan for Leftwich.

In comparision, Dixon went 12 for 26 for 145 yards with a TD to Nate Washington and INT that ultimately cost us in full game against the #3 defense.

As you can see. Dixon's performance was extremely overrated by delusional Steeler fans. I don't see how you can translate 145 yards and a less than 50 percent completion percentage as good.

solardave
05-19-2010, 05:02 AM
jim miller had a similar take today on sirius-

dixon will cause defensive coordinators fits gameplanning for him and that he has been in the system long enough and has put in all the work to be ready to show what he's got (unlike jacarcas russell).

I'm telling you. He's Kordell with a brain. He will be better suited for the job. I like Leftwich but there is a reason he isn't starting long term for anyone. Inconsistency I guess. 4-6 games calls for consistency. I vote for Dixon!!!:tap:

Steelers>NFL
05-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Not sure who would be the best choice yet. We will find out when training camp starts up.
But, Dixon would be the most exciting choice. He would add some excitement to Steeler football.
No doubt.

Nadroj 20
05-19-2010, 09:14 AM
I have felt this way since Ben's suspension became official....Dixon should be our starter

markymarc
05-19-2010, 10:00 AM
I am glad to see that Solomon Wilcots, Rod Woodson and Jim Miller all agree that Dennis Dixon is the best option for the first 4 games. Even if Lefty is named our starter IMO that will be the wrong decision.

To me now is the perfect opportunity to allow Dennis Dixon show what he can do over a 4 week period.

SteelGhost
05-19-2010, 10:09 AM
I am glad to see that Solomon Wilcots, Rod Woodson and Jim Miller all agree that Dennis Dixon is the best option for the first 4 games. Even if Lefty is named our starter IMO that will be the wrong decision.

To me now is the perfect opportunity to allow Dennis Dixon show what he can do over a 4 week period.

I agree :thumbsup:

revefsreleets
05-19-2010, 10:36 AM
None of these guys is going to be allowed to call their own plays, which means Arians will be the sole offensive play caller for at least games 1-4. Since Ben calls plays that work, and Bruce calls plays that don't, we should expect to be soundly beaten 50-0 in each game, regardless of which QB starts.

atlsteelers
05-19-2010, 10:42 AM
if ben was not in the longterm plans of the steelers - dixon is the starter

since ben is in the longterm plans of the steelers - go with the veteran.

i personally like both guys...but i think we ride the veteran since it is only a short term solution and we are not devoloping dixon to take ben's place as a starter

PalmerSteel
05-19-2010, 11:01 AM
unless byron completely stinks it up in the preseason, he will at least start the season in week 1 imo, but will be on a short rope for dixon to get in there.

wootawnee
05-19-2010, 01:01 PM
i have to disagree i think with lefty in there things wil come out in time and he wil not ask the lineman to block for 6 to 8 seconds or longer. If it isnt there lefty will throw it away instead of waiting for or hoping for something to develop. But i have to agree with woodson. For 1 not alot of tape on dixon and what they have was a very vanilla game vs the ratbirds last year.:tt03::tt03:

Rothliserger takes sacks on purpose rather than throw it away.........It pads his stats and if he throws it away his % goes down, if he get sacked nothing happens..........This is a true fact that is known...........

kirklandrules
05-19-2010, 02:12 PM
I got the impression it's lefty's job to lose. They are setting him up with the starting lineup and he'll have plenty of reps throwing to the starting receivers. I like Dixon, but won't sh!t myself if lefty gets the nod ... he's a veteran who knows how to read defenses, identify blitz packages and is decisive with his throws. Also, I don't think Dixon is another Stewart. Dixon may not have completed every pass against the ratbirds last year, but at least I didn't see him throw a 6 yard out into the dirt. That used to make me mad as hell.

Besides, you may see BA call 35 run plays in each of the the first 4 games.

BlastFurnace
05-19-2010, 02:15 PM

Dixon had 2 good plays the entire game. The only thing that kept that game close was that the Ravens couldn't score on our defense...not because of Dixon's passing.

I'm not saying that Leftwich or Batch is the answer either. The obvious answer is that the falloff from Ben to any of them is like falling off a cliff.

steel9guy
05-19-2010, 02:56 PM
I also think that Dixon's mobility is a better fit for this offense than a standard drop back qb.

wootawnee
05-19-2010, 05:38 PM
i heard an interesting stat today on NFL radio-

b. leftwich's last win as a starter in the nfl was in 2006 w/ the jags. i cant verify, but am pretty sure it is true.

07- didnt do shit w/ atl.
08- never started w/ steelers.
09- didnt do shit w/ tb.

hell, i think even batch won 2 games as a starter in 05 (which tells you how long ago lefty's final win was).

sometimes you gotta sink or swim with the young guys and art II has already put out the decree that he wants the youngsters developed more quickly.

i would hate to think arians or tomlins jobs are hinged upon bens fk-up, but who to start in the 1st 4-6 games can prove to be a crucial decision.

not that im worried... i have faith that d. lebeau and the defense will bail them out, yet again, regardless who starts.

Batch won opening day 06 primetime thursday night against Culpepper and the Dolphins............................

pete74
05-19-2010, 06:17 PM
personally i would rather see dixon play all 4. if he does well then we can have a great backup or an awesome trade guy and if he sucks then cut him. leftwich is a vet and tampa didnt even want him so why should we

AllD
05-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Lefty looked real good against the Skins two years ago...

This is his last chance to do anything meaningful. The real story is will Dixon do enough to take the job from the vet. If he plays at the same level then Lefty will probably get the snaps, but most likely will not get a sandwich named after him.

Batch is in there to offset BB's poor public image.

St33lersguy
05-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Leftwich should start, he is the best QB on the roster right now. Lefty is a servicable backup, Dixon is a Kordell clone, and I mean in terms of lack of skill as a QB

Riddle_Of_Steel
05-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Rothliserger takes sacks on purpose rather than throw it away.........
I hope this is a parody post...but for some reason, I don't think it is....:doh:
It pads his stats
Puh-lease, pray tell, explain to us how taking sacks pads a QBs stats....sacks count as passing attempts, which the QBs total yardage passing gets hurt by, and consequently, his yards per attempt goes down(arguably one of the most important stats as far as QBs are concerned).
and if he throws it away his % goes down, if he get sacked nothing happens..........This is a true fact that is known...........
Football knowlege...EPIC FAIL.

Psyychoward86
05-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Rothliserger takes sacks on purpose rather than throw it away.........It pads his stats and if he throws it away his % goes down, if he get sacked nothing happens..........This is a true fact that is known...........

http://anyworld.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/fail3.jpg

Steelerfreak58
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Why grab Dixon and not let him play? Byron lost his job to Gerrard sure he is great insurance and good for backing up but I think Dixon has the ability to lead the team if given the chance. It is not like he is just coming in as a rookie he has had a couple years to absorb the system and knows the speed of the game. Let the kid have a shot. Hell he may give Ben some good competition and keep Ben's dumb ass in line in fear of losing his starting job if he does well.

Let the kid play!

Steelerfreak58
05-19-2010, 10:17 PM
Leftwich should start, he is the best QB on the roster right now. Lefty is a servicable backup, Dixon is a Kordell clone, and I mean in terms of lack of skill as a QB

He played 1 game almost beat the Ravens (one of the best defenses in the league) coming off less then a day notice and not getting any reps with the first team. How in the hell do you say he is a Kordell clone?

MACH1
05-19-2010, 10:19 PM
The only one who's going to start is the one who win's the job in camp.

Psyychoward86
05-19-2010, 10:21 PM

no he's not, he was looking to pass all day long. The only time he took off running is when the pocket was obliterated and pass rushers were really closing in. Ben probably would've gotten sacked several times during that game. Dixon didnt even get touched.

It is possible to be both mobile and a decent throwing quarterback you know....

Psyychoward86
05-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Of course, we all have to take into GREAT consideration that Rashard Mendenhall almost broke the 100-yard rushing mark against the freakin' ravens that night. I was proud of him that night more than anybody, even Dixon. If Kemoeatu wasnt replaced in the lineup by Foster due to injury, we Mendy would've been the 1st to reach the mark against the ravens in like 30-40 games.

Steeldude
05-20-2010, 12:47 AM
from what i have read about camp, leftwich is getting better with each pracitice and dixon is getting worse. batch has been the most consistent of the 3 QBs.

Steeldude
05-20-2010, 12:49 AM
How in the hell do you say he is a Kordell clone

college. what are you saying that suggests he won't be another kordell?

maybe dixon will be a great QB. perhaps another steve young, but IMO he will be another QB casualty ala tee martin, pierre etc...

MasterOfPuppets
05-20-2010, 01:43 AM
from what i have read about camp, leftwich is getting better with each pracitice and dixon is getting worse. batch has been the most consistent of the 3 QBs.

:link:

Steeldude
05-20-2010, 06:33 AM
:link:

it was a pay link. i would have quoted it, but i believe that's against the rules here.

here it is http://pit.scout.com/2/970876.html

scsteeler
05-20-2010, 08:07 AM
Why grab Dixon and not let him play? Byron lost his job to Gerrard sure he is great insurance and good for backing up but I think Dixon has the ability to lead the team if given the chance. It is not like he is just coming in as a rookie he has had a couple years to absorb the system and knows the speed of the game. Let the kid have a shot. Hell he may give Ben some good competition and keep Ben's dumb ass in line in fear of losing his starting job if he does well.

Let the kid play!

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit:

What he Said!

Psyychoward86
05-20-2010, 06:18 PM
college. what are you saying that suggests he won't be another kordell?

How about the way he played in the Ravens game? He was looking to pass all day long, not run like around like an asshat. The only times he dared to takeoff running is when the pocket was annihilated and he had been holding onto the ball for a while. He did that in his exhibition games too, especially right before the '09 pre-season

pete74
05-20-2010, 06:35 PM
Of course, we all have to take into GREAT consideration that Rashard Mendenhall almost broke the 100-yard rushing mark against the freakin' ravens that night. I was proud of him that night more than anybody, even Dixon. If Kemoeatu wasnt replaced in the lineup by Foster due to injury, we Mendy would've been the 1st to reach the mark against the ravens in like 30-40 games.

actually it was done twice last season

BKAnthem
05-20-2010, 09:14 PM

Dude hadn't started a game that actually meant anything since he tore up his knee in college....given that i thought he did rather well...

steelerdave1969
05-20-2010, 09:39 PM
even with his nonexistent mobility and slow release, he barely got touched when he played for us in '08 because he got rid of the ball

I have to agree Psycho. I am not crazy about him coming back but he has experience. But I would go with Dixon here myself. He is very mobile and he proved against a very tough Ravens Defense IN BALTIMORE that he can play the game. Give Dixon the chance and go to Byron if need be.

TheWarDen86
05-20-2010, 09:44 PM
The only one who's going to start is the one who win's the job in camp.

Yep. Smarter folks than us will evaluate what they see (which is much more than any of us as well) and make the determination.

That said, I'd like to see Dixon win it, but I think we have good enough competition that we'll be okay with whom ever does.