PDA

View Full Version : Steelers OLB Woodley not planning holdout

Galax Steeler
05-19-2010, 04:44 AM
Pro Bowl linebacker LaMarr Woodley said his contract situation won't cause him to skip any offseason practices or hold out when training camp starts at the end of July.

"Things that you can't control you don't worry about," Woodley said Tuesday following practice.

Woodley, whose 13 1/2 sacks last season were tied for third in the NFL, is heading into the final year of his contract. The Steelers traditionally sign key players such as Woodley to long-term extensions before they get to the final year of their contract and they still have time because their policy is to negotiate until the start of the regular season.

The uncertain labor situation, however, could complicate contract negotiations for the Steelers and other NFL teams.

The collective bargaining agreement expires at the end of this season, and the owners could lock out the players if a new deal isn't forged before next March. Under the current rules, Woodley would not become an unrestricted free agent for two more years.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he is not worried about Woodley's contract situation becoming a distraction.

"One of the attractive things about LaMarr Woodley is he is a football-first guy," Tomlin said. "He's committed to working for 2010, and that's our mentality. Like a lot of things, those (contract) questions will be answered in time."

Troy Polamalu was notable by his absence from the Steelers' South Side practice facility Tuesday, but it should not have come as a surprise. The strong safety has missed most of the Steelers' voluntary offseason practices in prior years as he has opted to train in California.

Polamalu, who played in parts of just five games last season because of separate injuries to his left knee, did participate in minicamp practices a little less than three weeks ago. They are the only offseason practices that players are required to attend.

"I tend to focus on the guys who are here, and that's probably a good approach to have with voluntary offseason conditioning and work and so forth," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said when asked about Polamalu. "As a coach, you can be a miserable person worrying about the ones who aren't (here). You can have a productive day if you focus on the ones that are (here), and I tend to do that."

Hines Ward did some light running yesterday as the veteran wide receiver is still recovering from a strained hamstring he sustained at the end of April.

"Hines is progressing well with the hamstring injury," Tomlin said. "He's running a little bit; he's getting treatment. We expect him to continue to get better and join us at some point."

Outside linebacker Thaddeus Gibson is expected to miss most of the remainder of the Steelers' offseason practices because of a league rule that prohibits undergraduates from taking part in voluntary drills while still in class. Gibson, a fourth-round draft pick, is working toward his degree at Ohio State and is expected to graduate next month. Rookie defensive end Doug Worthington, who is also an Ohio State product, already has graduated and practiced yesterday.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_681857.html?feed=9

pete74
05-19-2010, 05:27 AM
Woodley is an example of how every single NFL player should be. you have morons like Andre Johnson from the texans who is holding out for more money even though he just signed a contract 2 or 3 years ago and still has 5 years remaining.

solardave
05-19-2010, 05:57 AM
Woodley is an example of how every single NFL player should be. you have morons like Andre Johnson from the texans who is holding out for more money even though he just signed a contract 2 or 3 years ago and still has 5 years remaining.

I believe Johnson falls under the 30% rule just like Woodley. LaMar understands the rule I guess by him saying it's out of his control while Johnson doesn't give a sh....t! That's why I want LaMar to remain a Steeler for the rest of his career. High character on and off the field and a beast on the field.:tt04:

steel9guy
05-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I can barely sleep at night hoping that Woodley gets signed. If he doesn't it's gonna be bad for us.

Fire Haley
05-19-2010, 12:17 PM
Hines Ward did some light running yesterday as the veteran wide receiver is still recovering from a strained hamstring he sustained at the end of April.

If Ward ever pops that hamstring we are in deep shit.

austinfrench76
05-19-2010, 05:46 PM
I love L-Wood but he put his foot in his mouth the other day on NFL Live. Basically playing the disrespect card about his contract saying that he sees other deals getting done and not his. I wonder if he actually underatnds the restrictions becasue the guy seems to get it!

Psyychoward86
05-19-2010, 06:11 PM
atta boy

pete74
05-19-2010, 07:05 PM
I believe Johnson falls under the 30% rule just like Woodley. LaMar understands the rule I guess by him saying it's out of his control while Johnson doesn't give a sh....t! That's why I want LaMar to remain a Steeler for the rest of his career. High character on and off the field and a beast on the field.:tt04:

no im talking the wr not chris johnson. CJ deserves a raise

GBMelBlount
05-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Woodley is a great story. I really liked him from the first I read about him coming into training camp his very first year....

Man do I hope this works out...

Galax Steeler
05-20-2010, 04:37 AM
Woodley is a great story. I really liked him from the first I read about him coming into training camp his very first year....

Man do I hope this works out...

I am sure they will get something done with him. I think he wants to remain a Steeler and we want him as a Steeler.

solardave
05-20-2010, 09:28 AM
no im talking the wr not chris johnson. CJ deserves a raise

That's who I was talking about. The WR with 5 years left on his contract. Chris Johnson doesn't concern me until we play them.

steelerchad
05-20-2010, 10:58 AM
I'm glad Woodley feels this way and will be there for all of camp this year.

However, I'm not sure I would feel the same way if it were me. An NFL career can be over in an instant. Troy's was very close to being over last year with that type of fall on his leg. Woodley deserves more than $400k this year and some security with a nice new contract with a signing bonus. I know, I know he's under contract. But NFL contracts aren't guaranteed and as far as I'm concerned the holdout is the only way some guys can get what they rightfully deserve. NFL contracts aren't a 2 way street. James Harrison signed a nice 5 or 6 year deal last year. Snowballs chance in hell he'll be here for his last year or 2 of that deal. As soon as his production shows the slightest decline, he's gone. In fact, if he's not stellar again this upcoming year I wouldn't be surprised to see him cut next March to make room for Woodley's new deal.

Woodley has been an overachiever and it would be wrong for him to not be set for life like most of his peers, if he suffered a catostophic injury this year.

If a team signs you to a 5 year deal and can decide to cut you because they think you're not worth it after year 2. They are not honoring their own contract. Then why is it not OK for a guy who is grossly underpaid for his production vs. his peers to holdout for a fair deal.

steelerdude15
05-20-2010, 12:24 PM
Good, I'm glad to see this and that he'll be practicing with his team. I'm really hoping he signs a contract, even if it is a small amount for a couple of years.