PDA

View Full Version : OFFICAL SB REF VIDEO

cgesolo
02-08-2006, 03:11 PM
Welp, here it is guys.

After some long hours trying to get it done for you, it's finally here. This is a video that has all of the so called" Bad Calls" on it. See for yourselves if there is merit.

If someone wants to mirror the video, feel free. Give credit though.

Right-click on the link and choose "Save Target.."
Link: http://www.ic-dev.com/SBXL-Calls-Divx.avi

You must have Divx 6 installed to play it.

CASTEEL
02-08-2006, 03:14 PM
This is great work man!!!

Not to put a damper on your work at all, but maybe it should go in the media section???

In any case...... Nice Job!

ONE FOR THE THUMB.... DONE!!!

Sharkissle29
02-08-2006, 03:16 PM
agree with them all....but the last one, that was just lame. what do i need to download to allow .avi files to play on my cpu?

cgesolo
02-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Just right-click on the link and select "Save target...". To get it to play, you must have divx 6 installed which you can get from http://www.divx.com/divx/play/download/?hp3playdl.

Livinginthe past
02-08-2006, 04:19 PM
First up, cgesolo that is a fantastic piece of video footage - I love the descriptors and highlighted contraversial parts.

Here is my 2 cents on the footage.

Section 1 - Holding

Agree 100% on this call - that was definite holding - Haggans had him beat all ends up.

Section 2 - Holding

I have major reservations about this call. I know it certainly looks correct on the replay but you have to take account of Farriors low posture.

You can clearly see that on impact Farriors knees are very bent - therefore the O-lineman is planting his hands where Farriors chest pad would normally be but in this instance they go over his shoulders and around the neck.

Section 3 - Offensive Pass Interference

Another excellent call by the official.

I think the fact that he threw the flag late made alot of people suspicious - but your video clearly shows him going for the flag straight away but fumbling it.

Section 4 - Ben TD

This has been one of the most contraversial calls for me.

Ref gets this all wrong - he gives the TD for all the wrong reasons.

His body language shows he is not sure if Ben got in and is signalling the player down - next thing we know he gets a clear look at the ball in the endzone - after ben loses control and fumbles it then pushes it way over the line - and he is signalling TD.

This was an awful call - id call it a homer call due to the pressure of the Steeler crowd, maybe Ben is in - but there is no way that the ref can see this 1/18th of an inch cross the goaline - I have seen numerous slow-mo frame-by-frame replays and still cannot be sure.

How can a ref be sure at game speed?

Section 5 - Holding on Kick

Cannot make a call on this one.

Section 6 - Offsides Haggans

This is very blatant offsides.

Both Haggans and Hampton are in the neutral zone before the ball is snapped.

This call looks worse on replay than it did in real time.

Hampton cannot move before the ball is snapped - he got a jump on the centre - it is the snap of the ball that determines the offside status of haggans - not the position of Hampton.

Terrible call.

Section 6b - Holding

Its holding for sure - but if Haggans hadnt had such a head start then the lineman would not have found himself in such a bad position.

The bottom line here is that Seattle gets punished twice for a Steeler offence - and a blatant one at that.

Section 7 - Offsides Haggans

I will give haggans the benefit of the doubt on this one - very close but I think he got it just perfect.

Section 8 - Horse Collar Porter

This is a blatant horsecollar tackle right in front of the sidelines.

Porter leaves the ground whilst holding on to the shoulder pads of Alexander until he has hit the ground.

Terrible call.

Section 9 - Low Block

Wow, where to start?

For a start the tackle is on the ball carrier not a blocker and it is totally legit.

This last series of calls totally derailed any chance the Seahawks had of getting back into the game.

They should have been 1st and goal at the 1 or 2 - instead they are 3rd and long and throwing an interception.

As if that isn't bad enough then an extra 15 yards is tacked onto the Steeler field position for a nonsense blocking call on Hasselbeck.

Again superb footage - but I cannot see how anyone could not agree with at least a few of my points.

NM

clevestinks
02-08-2006, 05:52 PM
I agree with LITP except on Bens TD, not that it matters its in the books now, but at full speed I think the ref would be more likely to think that he reached the goal line. I`m not saying that he was or wasn`t in, but we owuld have scored nxt play anyway!

klick81
02-08-2006, 08:16 PM
Very good job with the video man. I gotta go to class, otherwise i'd elaborate more, but I do agree with at least the first four calls. It does look like Haggans was offsides on at least one of those plays, and I don't think I can even begin to argue about Hasselbeck's tackle. All in all, the Seahawks still don't have much to cry about. There have been worse called games by officials. They did NOT lose because of them.

R2sojr
02-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Damn good fottage there bro!!...u need to send this to the seahawks to show them they caused the loss...the only calls that should have been caled against pittsburgh was the horse coller tackle by porter....cuz during the game when he did that i jumped up and was like damnitt porter 15 yard penalty....but they didnt call it.....and maybe the hasselback int one....but ben did score all the ball has to do is go over the white line and it did infact....haggans and hampton moved just as the ball moved so thats perfect timing...and hagans was held and hope was pushed as u can see by his body movments cus he was standing still then somehow he went backwards and his feet left the ground

TxsTed
02-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Section 6 - Offsides Haggans

This is very blatant offsides.

Both Haggans and Hampton are in the neutral zone before the ball is snapped.

This call looks worse on replay than it did in real time.

Hampton cannot move before the ball is snapped - he got a jump on the centre - it is the snap of the ball that determines the offside status of haggans - not the position of Hampton.

Terrible call.

Section 8 - Horse Collar Porter

This is a blatant horsecollar tackle right in front of the sidelines.

Porter leaves the ground whilst holding on to the shoulder pads of Alexander until he has hit the ground.

Terrible call.

Came across this post and I had to register in order to address a couple of your comments.

1st issue I have is where you stated "Hampton cannot move before the ball is snapped". I'm not sure exactly what you meant there, but of course Hampton could move before the ball is snapped. Now he cannot move into the neutral zone, causing an offensive player to move, but that's it.

2nd issue is the horse collar comment. The horse collar rules state that a horse-collar tackle is an open-field tackle in which a defender uses the shoulder pads to immediately bring a ballcarrier down. The term "open field" means that horse-collar tackles committed near the line of scrimmage will be allowed.

Porter dragged Alexander down, it was not immediate. When Roy Williams tackled Terrell Owens, Owens was brought down immediately. That's what the league wants to prevent. There also might be an issue or whether or not Alexander was in the "open field". There were only 3 horse-collar penalties called this whole year. It's more than grabbing someone by the back of their shoulder pads for it to be a foul.

Livinginthe past
02-09-2006, 05:04 PM
Came across this post and I had to register in order to address a couple of your comments.

1st issue I have is where you stated "Hampton cannot move before the ball is snapped". I'm not sure exactly what you meant there, but of course Hampton could move before the ball is snapped. Now he cannot move into the neutral zone, causing an offensive player to move, but that's it.

2nd issue is the horse collar comment. The horse collar rules state that a horse-collar tackle is an open-field tackle in which a defender uses the shoulder pads to immediately bring a ballcarrier down. The term "open field" means that horse-collar tackles committed near the line of scrimmage will be allowed.

Porter dragged Alexander down, it was not immediate. When Roy Williams tackled Terrell Owens, Owens was brought down immediately. That's what the league wants to prevent. There also might be an issue or whether or not Alexander was in the "open field". There were only 3 horse-collar penalties called this whole year. It's more than grabbing someone by the back of their shoulder pads for it to be a foul.

1st issue - Hampton cannot move into the neutral zoneand remain there as the snap is in progress - he did - offsides!

2nd issue - Define immediate - Alexander went to the ground with the full weight of Porter on his shoulder pads - that, my friend, is a horse collar tackle.

NM

geran42o
02-09-2006, 06:11 PM
1st issue - Hampton cannot move into the neutral zoneand remain there as the snap is in progress - he did - offsides
Well. to be technical it's encroachment. Offsides is when there is contact made with the offensive line. And he wasn't either

TxsTed
02-09-2006, 08:05 PM
1st issue - Hampton cannot move into the neutral zoneand remain there as the snap is in progress - he did - offsides!

2nd issue - Define immediate - Alexander went to the ground with the full weight of Porter on his shoulder pads - that, my friend, is a horse collar tackle.

NM
I agree that had Hampton been in the neutral zone, which by defination is between the front and back of the ball, when the ball was snapped, it would've been offsides.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f311/agdci981/cf32876c.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f311/agdci981/67dde58f.jpg
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f311/agdci981/db13feb3.jpg
Excuse the small photos, but it appears that Hampton was not in the neutral zone.

Horse Collar - If the NFL rule book stated that a player may not use their full weight on another's shoulder pads while making a tackle, you would be right. But the rules do noy say that. The rules state immediately. You bring up a good point that "immediately" can be interpreted different ways.

Here is Jerry Jones discussing the term "immediately" regarding the horse-collar rule:
That was a problem Jones had with the rule ? the line between penalties and fines.

"It wasn't clear enough in my mind to officiate," Jones said. "They said there would be very few penalties, it would be more about fines. My thought then was just make it a fine."

At least one of Williams' horse collars in 2004 would not have been a penalty. The key word in the rule is "immediately."

"If you don't immediately jerk them down and they go a couple more yards, it's not a penalty," Jones said. "It's the initial grab. That looked vague enough to me that we should just address it as a fine.

"Obviously, I'm sensitive to this because I saw all of Roy's (horse-collar) tackles. There is a judgment factor ? how much time you hold on [to the jersey collar], the immediacy of it and where it can happen on the field. In the spur of the moment, with the impact it can have on a game, how do you make those kinds of decisions?
http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstorync/stories/052505cpcowlede.2a80e9589.html

Porter did not immediately jerk Alexander down to the ground. It was a good no call.

GoStillersGo
02-10-2006, 05:12 AM
Great job on the video.

TxsTed
02-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Well. to be technical it's encroachment. Offsides is when there is contact made with the offensive line. And he wasn't either
You actually got that backwards. Encroachments involves contact.

Brady12
02-11-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm not gonna comment on any of the calls, since it is now 6 days old, but good job with the video, i like it.

HburgXL06
02-12-2006, 06:25 PM
How do I get to view a AVI file? It doesn't work on my computer.

BuFu

Livinginthe past
02-12-2006, 07:52 PM
How do I get to view a AVI file? It doesn't work on my computer.

BuFu

http://www.divx.com/divx/play/download/?hp3playdl.

This link is courtesy of the man with the videoskillz (cgesolo) and should help you view Avi files.

NM

TexaSteeler
02-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Haggans timed the snaps so well, it would have been impossible to call with the eye.

The rest looked legit to this unbiased eye.

Hasselback's low block was a bad call and a great tackle. I think at that point I even started wondering if the refs were going to come off as partial.