PDA

View Full Version : Steelers daily digest: A look at OTA's and Byron Leftwich

mesaSteeler
05-20-2010, 08:04 AM
Steelers daily digest: A look at OTA's and Byron Leftwich
May 20, 5:31 AM
Pittsburgh Sports Examiner
Matt Pawlikowski
http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m5d20-Steelers-daily-digest-A-look-at-OTAs-and-Byron-Leftwich

PITTSBURGH - Two years ago, the Steelers were in need of a proven backup quarterback when Charlie Batch went down with injury.

One of those options, Daunte Culpepper recently re-emerged in the news as he just signed to play in the UFL with former NFL coach Dennis Green.

The other Byron Leftwich, who signed and helped the Steelers in their drive to Super Bowl XLIII, now may hold the hopes of a team in his hands, at least until if and when Ben Roethlisberger is ready to step in following his suspension.

Although its no secret Steeler coach Mike Tomlin is high on Dennis Dixon, who has been taking reps with the second team, Lefwich who entered OTA's slimmer and in the best condition he's been in years, has taken all the reps with the first unit.

Tomlin says that all his quarterbacks including Charlie Batch will be given an opportunity at some time to run with the first team, but also added the fact he doesn't want a debacle such as the one Cleveland had last year, when they went through Training Camp unknowing.

"I donít believe itís an effective approach to go in with an open quarterback competition, a three-headed quarterback battle," There simply arenít enough snaps to go around. Weíll go in with a pecking order and the opportunities to show what you are capable of will be based on that pecking order."

Roethlisberger is in Pittsburgh and was seen with some of his teammates on Monday at a charity golf outing in Southpointe that raises money for kids. Still his status is unknown as he has yet to be cleared by the league.

"It is important that you work, thatís why we work. How important it is is based on the individual," Tomlin said of Roethlisberger's absence. "He is a veteran player; he has been entrenched in this system for quite some time. I would imagine itís less critical for him than others. Time will tell."

As for Leftwich, he is a career 79.2 passer with 10,281 yards for his career. During the first two days of camp he has been working with Mike Wallace since Hines Ward has been limited due to a hamstring and also Antwaan Randel El, who is the No. 2 guy for now.

In other OTA news, the Steelers worked out the special teams unit extensively on Wednesday, and surprisingly Rashard Mendenhall was one of those returning kicks.

Ziggy Hood continued to see a lot of action with the first team and Justin Hartwig did not practice. It also appears that Isaac Redman is the third running back behind Mendenhall and Moore for now.
Click here to find out more!

MexicanSteel
05-20-2010, 05:20 PM
its gonna be interesting who will win that 3rd RB in the roster Redman or Dwyer :popcorn:

LVSteelersfan
05-20-2010, 11:44 PM
its gonna be interesting who will win that 3rd RB in the roster Redman or Dwyer :popcorn:
Still rooting for my fellow UNLV alum to make the team in Frank Summers. I suspect he will be on the outside looking in but I will still root for him.

Psyychoward86
05-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Ziggy Hood continued to see a lot of action with the first team .

luuuvvv it!! :tt04:

Galax Steeler
05-21-2010, 04:37 AM
I wish Mendenhall would not be returning kicks. I would hate to see him go out with a season ending injury cause he was returning kicks.

pete74
05-21-2010, 05:35 AM
hood gains a few more pounds and he can play NT for us instead of DE. i saw a pic of him during OTA's and the guy is huge and thick. he's 6'3 and listed at 300lbs but he looks heavier to me. i just never realized how solid and thick he was.

Rick5895
05-21-2010, 06:09 AM

I think 4 of the RB's this season will be Mendy, Moore, Dwyer, and Logan. Keeping Redman will be determined if we keep a true FB or not.

HometownGal
05-21-2010, 06:55 AM
The Steelers are now in need of a proven back-up QB until Ben returns from his time-out. Lefty is that guy imho.

Also - great to see Ziggy getting a lot of action out there! :banana: :applaudit:

solardave
05-21-2010, 09:01 AM
I wish Mendenhall would not be returning kicks. I would hate to see him go out with a season ending injury cause he was returning kicks.

Doesn't make any sense. You don't use your starting RB on STs.

solardave
05-21-2010, 09:04 AM
I think Charlie's days are numbered. Ben, Byron and or Dixon. 2 and 3 depend on who fills in and how he does. I know. No sh...t Sherlock.

tube517
05-21-2010, 10:35 AM
Isn't Summers going to be the FB? :noidea:

Still rooting for my fellow UNLV alum to make the team in Frank Summers. I suspect he will be on the outside looking in but I will still root for him.

Riddle_Of_Steel
05-21-2010, 02:19 PM

I am a big Frank Summers fan myself, ever since I watched his draft day videos and whatnot. I would not count him out-- he has overcome stranger odds in the past, learned to play multiple positions, and shows the obvious determination we expect from our team. When Kirby WIlson evaluated him prior to the draft, he and Tomlin were enamoured with this guy's technique and his footwork for a guy built like a tank. He just needed a rookie season to see what areas he needds to work on as far as strength training and conditioning. I expect him to back with a renewed vengeance this year.

He came froma small school football program, so there will be a learning curve for him to meet up to the NFL's standards.