PDA

View Full Version : N. Korea: Retaliation for Ship Would Trigger War

SteelerEmpire
05-20-2010, 08:40 AM
ITS ON !!! LINK: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/20/world/main6501312.shtml?tag=stack

No. I have an old SEAL buddy that was stationed along the 38th parallel. He used to frequently snipe off N. Koreans threating the border. This kind of back and forth between the 2 nations has been going on since the war. Expect some sort of "mistake" by the South before too long as a tool for get back against the North...

MACH1
05-20-2010, 09:06 AM
Yep...I have a high school buddy (Airborn Ranger) that was stationed there. Some of the stuff he tells me, scary stuff. He's been shot at, shot back, and so on.

Fire Haley
05-20-2010, 09:13 AM
"The all-out war to be undertaken by us will be a sacred war involving the whole nation, all the people and the whole state"

The North also warned the South against any provocative acts near the Koreas' borders in the aftermath of the sinking, saying it would react with an "unlimited retaliatory blow, merciless strong physical blow."

All your bases are belong to us

MACH1
05-20-2010, 09:21 AM
My friend told me that if the north ever invaded it would take them all of about 15-20 minutes to get to Seoul. Theres a lot of shit that happens that nobody ever hears about.

steelerdude15
05-20-2010, 11:29 AM
Man, North Korea is still has savages in charge.

SCSTILLER
05-20-2010, 12:12 PM
My friend told me that if the north ever invaded it would take them all of about 15-20 minutes to get to Seoul. Theres a lot of shit that happens that nobody ever hears about.

I have done a tour of the DMZ when I was TDY there and if what your buddy says is true, it is going to be a really, really bloody 15-20 minutes for the North. The armament that we have up there is incredible.

Isn't the Korean War technically still ongoing? I remember watching something on the history, discovery, national geographic channels that stated South Korea never signed the treaty

Indo
05-20-2010, 12:30 PM
The crazy up there NEVER signs ANYTHING!

Check this out:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fSXNJMP8ir4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fSXNJMP8ir4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Indo
05-20-2010, 01:08 PM
A serial number on a torpedo fragment also was consistent with markings from a North Korean torpedo that South Korea obtained years earlier, Yoon said.

Why does the International Community continue to put up with this lunatic?

Kim Jong IL knows he did it.
We know he did it.
He knows we know he did it.

And yet he continues to posture and threaten "sacred war"---(is he spending too much time with the Taliban lately?)

Just like in the you tube video, the primary problem is that he knows beyond any shadow of a doubt that the U.N. is devoid of testicles.

SCSTILLER
05-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Come on Indo, we can just take them to International Court and all will be settled :chuckle:

All then U.N. will do, just like in the cartoon, is write another revolution with absolutely no repercussions if the North breaks it, which they will

MACH1
05-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I have done a tour of the DMZ when I was TDY there and if what your buddy says is true, it is going to be a really, really bloody 15-20 minutes for the North. The armament that we have up there is incredible.

Isn't the Korean War technically still ongoing? I remember watching something on the history, discovery, national geographic channels that stated South Korea never signed the treaty

Yeah, it'll be bloody. He said that the sheer number the north would send would pretty much run em over. :noidea:

He also told me that the north would send fighters over the border and do touch landings on the base before they could get planes scrambled and skedaddle back over.

Maybe he was just blowin smoke at me though.

AllD
05-20-2010, 02:53 PM
The problem isn't North Korea, but instead it would be China's reaction if we turned them into a parking lot. Not to mention the liability for all of the starving refugees. If the Chinese were honorable they would take control of the situation. After all, their U.S. dollars would lose a lot of value if NK attacked.

NJarhead
05-20-2010, 03:39 PM
I hear Obama is going to apologize on behalf of South Korea for that Naval Ship foolishly getting in the way of that torpedo.

:coffee:

Indo
05-20-2010, 03:41 PM
I hear Obama is going to apologize on behalf of South Korea for that Naval Ship foolishly getting in the way of that torpedo.

:coffee:

:rofl:

Fire Haley
05-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Carpet bomb Pyongyang

It's the only way to be sure

Indo
05-20-2010, 04:21 PM
We could drop a Daisy-Cutter right on Pyongyang and then claim that it was accidentally dropped out of the bomb bay when the bomb bay doors (which were "Made In China") accidentally opened...

urgle burgle
05-20-2010, 06:53 PM
i was over there 2000-01. could see NK from my barracks. they have all their artillery sighted in on everything worth hitting in SK. NK would be in Seoul in about a few hours. the troops would be lucky to get out of their barracks, much less get to their arms, before everything came down on their heads. if NK attacks, we are going to lose a lot of people, before we get in a position to push NK back and wipe them out.

NJarhead
05-20-2010, 09:47 PM
i was over there 2000-01. could see NK from my barracks. they have all their artillery sighted in on everything worth hitting in SK. NK would be in Seoul in about a few hours. the troops would be lucky to get out of their barracks, much less get to their arms, before everything came down on their heads. if NK attacks, we are going to lose a lot of people, before we get in a position to push NK back and wipe them out.

I've hear the ROK Soldiers are pretty bad ass and ready to fight. Dude I heard it from is pretty hard core as well.

Godfather
05-20-2010, 10:02 PM
So, they attack South Korea and then say a response would start a war??? I guess you have to be so ronery for that to make sense.

urgle burgle
05-20-2010, 10:08 PM
I've hear the ROK Soldiers are pretty bad ass and ready to fight. Dude I heard it from is pretty hard core as well.

oh yeah the ROK guys are bad ass. seen em in action. prob is there isnt enough of them, and they will get hit with arty the same as anybody else.

Fire Haley
05-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Hillary sends her stern letter - that should take care of that

Clinton: NKorea must face consequences for attack

TOKYO – U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said Friday the evidence is "overwhelming" that a North Korean submarine sank a South Korean warship and the communist country must face international consequences for its actions.

Speaking in Tokyo at the outset of a three-nation Asian trip, Clinton said the U.S., Japan, South Korea and China are consulting on an appropriate reaction to an international investigation that blamed North Korea for the incident.

"We cannot allow this attack on South Korea to go unanswered by the international community," she said. "This will not be and cannot be business as usual. There must be an international, not just a regional, but an international response."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100521/ap_on_re_as/as_clinton_asia

stillers4me
05-21-2010, 09:17 AM

Clinton: NKorea must face consequences for attack

TOKYO – U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton said Friday the evidence is "overwhelming" that a North Korean submarine sank a South Korean warship and the communist country must face international consequences for its actions.

Speaking in Tokyo at the outset of a three-nation Asian trip, Clinton said the U.S., Japan, South Korea and China are consulting on an appropriate reaction to an international investigation that blamed North Korea for the incident.

"We cannot allow this attack on South Korea to go unanswered by the international community," she said. "This will not be and cannot be business as usual. There must be an international, not just a regional, but an international response."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100521/ap_on_re_as/as_clinton_asia

Well...she told them.

Fire Haley
05-21-2010, 10:41 AM
I think Lil Kim is about to croak and wants to go out in a blaze of glory.

Indo
05-21-2010, 12:34 PM
Well, as has been pointed out, he's so ronery

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xh_9QhRzJEs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xh_9QhRzJEs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

smokin3000gt
05-21-2010, 06:32 PM
"If there is so much as a fart bubble in the bath tub, there will be strong, devastating, apocalyptic WAR!" - N. Korea

Fire Haley
05-21-2010, 06:59 PM
anybody over there should send me some cheap mink blankets

I'll pay postage

Fire Haley
05-24-2010, 01:39 PM
more sabre rattling

SEOUL, May 24 (Reuters)

North Korea threatened on Monday to fire at South Korean equipment if it is set up at their heavily armed border to broadcast anti-Pyongyang messages, and vowed to take stronger measures if Seoul escalated tensions.

The warnings came in a statement from a military commander carried by the North's KCNA news agency.

South Korea said on Monday it would resume loudspeaker broadcasts at the border that had been suspended for six years, as part of its punishment toward the North for the sinking of one of its navy ships.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/TOE64N04U.htm

revefsreleets
05-24-2010, 03:25 PM
I wonder...South Korea has a standing army of about half a million. The North Koreans a little over 1 million. But a few things jump to mind: How motivated will the North be to fight, I mean in a rank and file sense? Also, how accurate are those numbers? I don't really trust their word. And the South has a HUGE advantage in that A) Kim Jong-il is the supreme commander of the KPA, and he's certifiable. Having a crazy man commanding troops is a big advantage for the South. B) We can aid the South without so much direct involvement. It's much easier to support their army with our superior technology without us having to put boots in their mud. Apples and oranges from Iraq and Afghanistan.

But this is all probably much ado about nothing. Obama is an empty suit and his threats aren't to be taken seriously. More importantly, NK probably just wants to be even more isolated from the rest of the World right now because that is politically expedient for them, and this is a fast and easy way to achieve that.

Fire Haley
05-24-2010, 03:39 PM
Send in Jesse Jackson.

revefsreleets
05-24-2010, 03:50 PM
Send in Jesse Jackson.

Better yet, send in Dr. Manhattan...
http://blog.librimondadori.it/blogs/urania/files/2009/03/watchmen-drmanhattanvietnam.jpg

Fire Haley
05-24-2010, 05:05 PM
See here, here's the thing.

The truth is if the North had anything worth taking we would already have taken it. Nobody wants to feed millions of starving stone age zombies - who knows how hungry they are.

http://juniorannex.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/korea_lights_lg.jpg

maybe their soldiers just want to go to Seoul to have one Big Mac before they die

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3182/2921212633_dee8d1ae80.jpg

Psyychoward86
05-24-2010, 05:17 PM
This whole thing about threatening to retaliate when nobody said anything is like punting babies off a rooftop. IT WASNT NECESSARY.

Fire Haley
05-24-2010, 05:43 PM
You know, the best part about Mickey D's in Europe was they sold beer - in fact you could be standing in line drinking a beer and smoking a cig like the natives, just reminds you the basic freedoms we've already lost.

urgle burgle
05-24-2010, 07:00 PM
I wonder...South Korea has a standing army of about half a million. The North Koreans a little over 1 million. But a few things jump to mind: How motivated will the North be to fight, I mean in a rank and file sense? Also, how accurate are those numbers? I don't really trust their word. And the South has a HUGE advantage in that A) Kim Jong-il is the supreme commander of the KPA, and he's certifiable. Having a crazy man commanding troops is a big advantage for the South. B) We can aid the South without so much direct involvement. It's much easier to support their army with our superior technology without us having to put boots in their mud. Apples and oranges from Iraq and Afghanistan.

But this is all probably much ado about nothing. Obama is an empty suit and his threats aren't to be taken seriously. More importantly, NK probably just wants to be even more isolated from the rest of the World right now because that is politically expedient for them, and this is a fast and easy way to achieve that.

this is troubling, since this is the largest escalation in actions by NK towards SK since the armastice. the NKs are so propgandized, they are itchin' for a fight. here is my perspective, and we used to discuss this all the time while i was there. NK hits hard, at first, arty, and their special ops to try and keep SK from blowing the Freedom Bridge, and other crossings. using in conjunction theri fleet and subs to try and bang at Inchon. SK will do the only thing they can do, which is SOP, fire arty back doing a counter battery deal to try and minimize damage. DMZ forces pull back and start blowing all rock and side drops. these shut down the main MSRs that lead to Seoul. Seoul will still be hit. all that can be done are stalling tactics, until other US heavy hitters can get there from Japan, and other naval assets. Seoul will probably be lost, just as in the first conflict. eventually we will retake and crush NK. but a lot of SK and US lives are going to be lost in the meantime. that is the initial scenario. the NKs will fight, and fight hard. initially, but then they will get routed, eventually. then its anybodys game on what happens next.

the real way to tell if the shit is going to hit the fan, is if they pull the civilans that farm out of the DMZ, Daeseong-dong, if the JSA goes all tweaky, and uproots the civilians and push men forward, then its on. but we may not have any idea that has happened until everything goes tits-up.

revefsreleets
05-24-2010, 07:16 PM
this is troubling, since this is the largest escalation in actions by NK towards SK since the armastice. the NKs are so propgandized, they are itchin' for a fight. here is my perspective, and we used to discuss this all the time while i was there. NK hits hard, at first, arty, and their special ops to try and keep SK from blowing the Freedom Bridge, and other crossings. using in conjunction theri fleet and subs to try and bang at Inchon. SK will do the only thing they can do, which is SOP, fire arty back doing a counter battery deal to try and minimize damage. DMZ forces pull back and start blowing all rock and side drops. these shut down the main MSRs that lead to Seoul. Seoul will still be hit. all that can be done are stalling tactics, until other US heavy hitters can get there from Japan, and other naval assets. Seoul will probably be lost, just as in the first conflict. eventually we will retake and crush NK. but a lot of SK and US lives are going to be lost in the meantime. that is the initial scenario. the NKs will fight, and fight hard. initially, but then they will get routed, eventually. then its anybodys game on what happens next.

the real way to tell if the shit is going to hit the fan, is if they pull the civilans that farm out of the DMZ, Daeseong-dong, if the JSA goes all tweaky, and uproots the civilians and push men forward, then its on. but we may not have any idea that has happened until everything goes tits-up.

But it will almost certainly never happen. Again, I think this is just a ploy for NK to further isolate themselves. For a repressive regime which thrives on closing itself off, this kind of thing only benefits them...

urgle burgle
05-24-2010, 08:01 PM
i would agree as well....that it wont happen. but, not sure how NK will really benefit from this. unless, by using little shows here and there, will scare everyone into loosening restrictions, or risk war. still, doesnt make much sense, it may just solidify more support against the regime. course, its hard to tell what goes on in lil' kim's mind.

Fire Haley
05-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Another day another bulletin

N Korea 'severs all ties' with Seoul

North Korea is to cut all relations with South Korea, Pyongyang's official news agency has reported.

Tuesday's KCNA reports announcing the severing of all ties - including communications - said the North was also banning South Korean ships and planes from its waters and airspace

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10156834.stm

revefsreleets
05-25-2010, 10:10 AM
I wonder if this will effect the factory park along the border. There are 110 SK firms that employ 42,000 North Koreans...somehow I think that those factories will stay open...

Fire Haley
05-25-2010, 10:56 AM
They did say something about factories...

KCNA said the North was also expelling all South Korean workers from a jointly-run factory north of the border.

revefsreleets
05-25-2010, 11:02 AM
They did say something about factories...

KCNA said the North was also expelling all South Korean workers from a jointly-run factory north of the border.

But will the South Koreans be expelling their 42k North workers?

Doubt it...Capitalism must roll on...

smokin3000gt
05-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Another day another bulletin

N Korea 'severs all ties' with Seoul

North Korea is to cut all relations with South Korea, Pyongyang's official news agency has reported.

Tuesday's KCNA reports announcing the severing of all ties - including communications - said the North was also banning South Korean ships and planes from its waters and airspace

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10156834.stm

Ah... the ol' ''You can't fire me because I QUIT!!"

Fire Haley
05-26-2010, 10:20 AM
have some fun - read the North's press coverage

CPRK Declares Resolute Actions against S. Korea

Pyongyang, May 25 (KCNA) -- A spokesman of the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea Tuesday issued the following statement:

Traitor Lee Myung Bak of south Korea on Monday made public a "statement to the people" over the case of the sinking of a warship of its puppet army, in which he viciously slandered the DPRK again. He formally announced a ban on the passage of DPRK's ships through waters of the south side, "stop to trade and exchange between the south and the north", the exercise of "the right to self-defense" and the reference of the case to the UNSC, daring vociferate about "responsibility" and "apology".

Then the chiefs of the puppet ministries of defense, foreign affairs and trade and unification called a joint press conference at which they ballyhooed about follow-up measures.

This is little short of formally declaring that they would not rule out a war by standing in confrontation with the DPRK to the last.

It is traitor Lee Myung Bak and his puppet conservative group that should be responsible for the said case, apologize for it and face a punishment as it is a tragic product of their despicable sycophantic and treacherous moves and reckless actions for escalating confrontation with fellow countrymen.

As far as the "results of investigation" announced by the puppet group are concerned, their conspiratorial nature is brought into bolder relief as the days go by to be ridiculed by the world, as they are peppered with contradictions and doubts.

Now that traitor Lee Myung Bak is taking the lead in shifting the blame for the case on to the DPRK and formally challenging it with reckless provocations despite the above-said hard reality, the DPRK is compelled to opt for taking resolute punitive measures as it had already declared internally and externally.

The DPRK had already solemnly declared that it would regard the puppet group's anti-DPRK smear campaign over the sinking of the warship as a declaration of a war against the DPRK and mete out a merciless and strong punishment if the group dare defile its dignity.

The Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea, accordingly, formally declares that from now on it will put into force the resolute measures to totally freeze the inter-Korean relations, totally abrogate the agreement on non-aggression between the north and the south and completely halt the inter-Korean cooperation.

In this connection, the following measures will be taken at the first phase:

1. All relations with the puppet authorities will be severed.

2. There will be neither dialogue nor contact between the authorities during Lee Myung Bak's tenure of office.

3. The work of the Panmunjom Red Cross liaison representatives will be completely suspended.

4. All communication links between the north and the south will be cut off.

5. The Consultative Office for North-South Economic Cooperation in the Kaesong Industrial Zone will be frozen and dismantled and all the personnel concerned of the south side will be expelled without delay.

6. We will start all-out counterattack against the puppet group's "psychological warfare against the north."

7. The passage of south Korean ships and airliners through the territorial waters and air of our side will be totally banned.

8. All the issues arising in the inter-Korean relations will be handled under a wartime law.

There is no need to show any mercy or patience for such confrontation maniacs, sycophants and traitors and wicked warmongers as the Lee Myung Bak group.

The Lee group's call for "resolute measure" is as a foolish and ridiculous suicidal act as jumping into fire with ******s on its back.

The group is making a last-ditch effort in league with outsiders but will get nothing but its self-destruction.

The army and the people of the DPRK and all other Koreans will never pardon the group of traitors as it is finally bringing the dark clouds of war to hang over the Korean Peninsula, wantonly violating the historic June 15 joint declaration and the October 4 declaration and bringing the inter-Korean relations to a total collapse.

http://www.kcna.co.jp/index-e.htm

Venom
05-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Just think how boring this world would be without North Korea:chuckle:

Indo
05-26-2010, 12:34 PM
The whole thing sounds like a bad martial arts movie where the "bad guy" accuses the good guy of dishonoring him by publically pointing out that he (the bad guy) has done something bad...

in all reality, this is probably going to get a lot worse----
the North has knowingly provoked the South
The South has called them on it, but this now gives the North a reason to attack them because they have been "dishonored" by the South's accusations

The signs of this eventual war have been building for some time now----as the Ronery One has gotten more and more Ronery...
It will be interesting to see Obaaaamie's response

revefsreleets
05-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Reads like one of Ric's posts....

smokin3000gt
05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
The whole thing sounds like a bad martial arts movie where the "bad guy" accuses the good guy of dishonoring him by publically pointing out that he (the bad guy) has done something bad...

in all reality, this is probably going to get a lot worse----
the North has knowingly provoked the South
The South has called them on it, but this now gives the North a reason to attack them because they have been "dishonored" by the South's accusations

The signs of this eventual war have been building for some time now----as the Ronery One has gotten more and more Ronery...
It will be interesting to see Obaaaamie's response

Restrictions, regulations, and rhetoric soon followed by
http://monkeysmashesheaven.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/ostrich_head_in_ground_full.jpg

smokin3000gt
05-26-2010, 05:12 PM
then
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab199/aa7ya/Politics/obama-golfing.jpg

Fire Haley
05-26-2010, 05:36 PM
I wonder if this will effect the factory park along the border. There are 110 SK firms that employ 42,000 North Koreans...somehow I think that those factories will stay open...

N. Korea expels S. Korean officials from joint factory park

SEOUL, May 26 (Yonhap) -- Further fueling tension between the Koreas, North Korea kicked South Korean government officials out of their joint factory park in the North on Wednesday and threatened to shut it down if Seoul resumes its anti-Pyongyang broadcasts along the border.

"Moreover, measures will be taken to totally ban the passage of personnel and vehicles of the south side in the zone under the north-south control in the western coastal area," it said in an apparent reference to the Kaesong industrial zone.

The industrial complex, considered the last remaining symbol of detente between the countries, houses about 110 South Korean firms, employing 42,000 low-wage but skilled North Korean workers.

http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/national/2010/05/26/36/0301000000AEN20100526007200315F.HTML

tony hipchest
05-26-2010, 06:22 PM

not sure how much it woulda helped, but now is when i woulda much prefered bill richardson over hilary as secretary of state (or even president for that matter). :dang:

Vincent
05-26-2010, 11:27 PM
The pragmatism of "modern" communist dictatorships may play it's hand here. At risk to China are the lucrative markets of South Korea.

So, does "North Korea is dying, and we can make things worse" signal that patience will eventually be rewarded with Krazy Kim's demise?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?sid=awElM7vM4Vq4&pid=20601087
China May Shield North Korea as Lee, U.S. Seek Action on Ship

By Broomberg News

May 27 (Bloomberg) -- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao is likely to resist pressure to acknowledge that North Korea torpedoed a South Korean warship when he flies to Seoul tomorrow to meet South Korean President Lee Myung Bak and Japan’s Yukio Hatoyama.

China hasn’t followed South Korea, Japan and the U.S. in blaming North Korea for the March 26 sinking of the Cheonan, which killed 46 sailors. Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Zhijun yesterday repeated a call for “restraint” by both sides and said China had no “firsthand information” on the sinking.

China wants to avoid a conflict on the Korean peninsula, and is concerned that taking South Korea’s side may provoke North Korea into further escalations and even lead to war, said Shen Dingli, vice dean of the Institute of International Affairs at Shanghai’s Fudan University.

“North Korea is dying, and we can make things worse,” Shen said. “We have assumed North Korea is not a rational actor.”

China has a big stake in stability in Northeast Asia. Japan and South Korea are China’s third- and fourth-biggest trading partners after the European Union and the U.S., with combined two-way trade reaching $485.1 billion in 2009, Chinese customs figures show.

China’s two-way trade with North Korea, at $2.7 billion last year, is less than 1 percent of that total, even though the two countries share a 1,415-kilometer (880-mile) border and an alliance going back to China’s 1950 entry into the Korean War.

“If our region falls into chaos it will undermine the interests of all parties concerned,” Zhang said yesterday.

Responsibility

South Korea, Japan and the U.S. want the North to acknowledge its responsibility for the incident. An international panel on May 20 that included experts from the U.S., Australia, the U.K. and Sweden concluded that North Korea was behind the attack. South Korea wants China to also acknowledge the panel’s findings.

“They won’t be able to ignore the truth,” South Korean Foreign Minister Yu Myung Hwan said yesterday at a joint press conference with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Seoul. President Lee said on May 24 that “no responsible country in the international community will be able to deny the fact that the Cheonan was sunk by North Korea.”

Clinton is also working to bring China in to forge a unified response.

“We expect to be working together with China in responding to North Korea’s provocative action and promoting stability in the region,” Clinton said May 25 in Beijing at the conclusion of two days of talks.

Cycle of Escalation

China’s government may conclude that taking South Korea’s side will only stoke a cycle of escalation, Shen said. Wen is scheduled to have talks with Lee and meet with both Lee and Hatoyama at a three-nation summit on South Korea’s Jeju Island. He met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Il earlier this month in Beijing.

China may be willing to condemn the sinking of the Cheonan in a United Nations Security Council resolution provided that North Korea is not singled out for blame, Shen said. Such an outcome may end the cycle of escalation, he said.

Kim’s regime, which has been relying on handouts since the mid-1990s, is suffering from worsening shortages of goods after its botched currency revaluation late last year. Academics including Rudiger Frank, professor of East Asian Economy and Society at the University of Vienna, said that was aimed at rolling back an experiment with free markets that had loosened the state’s control over jobs, food and patronage.

The UN World Food Program said this month its food aid to North Korea will run out by the end of next month.

UN sanctions imposed on North Korea after its second nuclear test in May 2009 caused international commerce to shrink 9.7 percent last year, according to Seoul-based trade agency, Kotra. The North doesn’t release its own trade figures.

Cutting Ties

North Korea this week said it will cut all ties to the South in response to the findings of the panel. Kim ordered his military to be combat-ready, a Seoul-based dissident group said, sending the Korean won down 3 percent against the dollar on May 25, the biggest one-day drop since March 30, 2009. The South responded by resuming radio broadcasts into North Korea that it called the “voice of freedom.” The won was little changed yesterday at 1,252.28.

South Korea’s broadcasting of propaganda into North Korea was “a deliberate and premeditated provocation” aimed at pushing the peninsula “to the brink of war,” North Korea’s state-run Korean Central News Agency said yesterday.

In response to the sinking, the U.S. military is preparing exercises with South Korea in anti-submarine maneuvers and interdicting vessels. The U.S. has about 28,500 troops in South Korea, a legacy of its Korean War involvement in the 1950s.

“China is doing the thing that best suits China’s interests and everyone’s interest,” Shen said. “China is not pushing the envelope either on the North Korean side to be aggressive or on the South Korean to punish North Korea with warfare.”

fansince'76
05-26-2010, 11:36 PM
then
http://i863.photobucket.com/albums/ab199/aa7ya/Politics/obama-golfing.jpg

"Watch this drive."

urgle burgle
05-27-2010, 12:25 AM
The pragmatism of "modern" communist dictatorships may play it's hand here. At risk to China are the lucrative markets of South Korea.

So, does "North Korea is dying, and we can make things worse" signal that patience will eventually be rewarded with Krazy Kim's demise?

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?sid=awElM7vM4Vq4&pid=20601087
China May Shield North Korea as Lee, U.S. Seek Action on Ship

By Broomberg News

May 27 (Bloomberg) -- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao is likely to resist pressure to acknowledge that North Korea torpedoed a South Korean warship when he flies to Seoul tomorrow to meet South Korean President Lee Myung Bak and Japan’s Yukio Hatoyama.

China hasn’t followed South Korea, Japan and the U.S. in blaming North Korea for the March 26 sinking of the Cheonan, which killed 46 sailors. Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Zhijun yesterday repeated a call for “restraint” by both sides and said China had no “firsthand information” on the sinking.

China wants to avoid a conflict on the Korean peninsula, and is concerned that taking South Korea’s side may provoke North Korea into further escalations and even lead to war, said Shen Dingli, vice dean of the Institute of International Affairs at Shanghai’s Fudan University.

“North Korea is dying, and we can make things worse,” Shen said. “We have assumed North Korea is not a rational actor.”

China has a big stake in stability in Northeast Asia. Japan and South Korea are China’s third- and fourth-biggest trading partners after the European Union and the U.S., with combined two-way trade reaching $485.1 billion in 2009, Chinese customs figures show.

China’s two-way trade with North Korea, at $2.7 billion last year, is less than 1 percent of that total, even though the two countries share a 1,415-kilometer (880-mile) border and an alliance going back to China’s 1950 entry into the Korean War.

“If our region falls into chaos it will undermine the interests of all parties concerned,” Zhang said yesterday.

Responsibility

South Korea, Japan and the U.S. want the North to acknowledge its responsibility for the incident. An international panel on May 20 that included experts from the U.S., Australia, the U.K. and Sweden concluded that North Korea was behind the attack. South Korea wants China to also acknowledge the panel’s findings.

“They won’t be able to ignore the truth,” South Korean Foreign Minister Yu Myung Hwan said yesterday at a joint press conference with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton in Seoul. President Lee said on May 24 that “no responsible country in the international community will be able to deny the fact that the Cheonan was sunk by North Korea.”

Clinton is also working to bring China in to forge a unified response.

“We expect to be working together with China in responding to North Korea’s provocative action and promoting stability in the region,” Clinton said May 25 in Beijing at the conclusion of two days of talks.

Cycle of Escalation

China’s government may conclude that taking South Korea’s side will only stoke a cycle of escalation, Shen said. Wen is scheduled to have talks with Lee and meet with both Lee and Hatoyama at a three-nation summit on South Korea’s Jeju Island. He met with North Korean leader Kim Jong Il earlier this month in Beijing.

China may be willing to condemn the sinking of the Cheonan in a United Nations Security Council resolution provided that North Korea is not singled out for blame, Shen said. Such an outcome may end the cycle of escalation, he said.

Kim’s regime, which has been relying on handouts since the mid-1990s, is suffering from worsening shortages of goods after its botched currency revaluation late last year. Academics including Rudiger Frank, professor of East Asian Economy and Society at the University of Vienna, said that was aimed at rolling back an experiment with free markets that had loosened the state’s control over jobs, food and patronage.

The UN World Food Program said this month its food aid to North Korea will run out by the end of next month.

UN sanctions imposed on North Korea after its second nuclear test in May 2009 caused international commerce to shrink 9.7 percent last year, according to Seoul-based trade agency, Kotra. The North doesn’t release its own trade figures.

Cutting Ties

North Korea this week said it will cut all ties to the South in response to the findings of the panel. Kim ordered his military to be combat-ready, a Seoul-based dissident group said, sending the Korean won down 3 percent against the dollar on May 25, the biggest one-day drop since March 30, 2009. The South responded by resuming radio broadcasts into North Korea that it called the “voice of freedom.” The won was little changed yesterday at 1,252.28.

South Korea’s broadcasting of propaganda into North Korea was “a deliberate and premeditated provocation” aimed at pushing the peninsula “to the brink of war,” North Korea’s state-run Korean Central News Agency said yesterday.

In response to the sinking, the U.S. military is preparing exercises with South Korea in anti-submarine maneuvers and interdicting vessels. The U.S. has about 28,500 troops in South Korea, a legacy of its Korean War involvement in the 1950s.

“China is doing the thing that best suits China’s interests and everyone’s interest,” Shen said. “China is not pushing the envelope either on the North Korean side to be aggressive or on the South Korean to punish North Korea with warfare.”

China will do everything in its power to deescliate any possible war between SK and NK. They dont want the mass amount of refugees from NK coming into China if war breaks out. On top of that it can be seen as marginalizing their power in the Asian theater. They dont get much money from NK, but its money just the same, that is consistent. And im sure they like the fact they have certain sway over a nation on the front lines against capatilism and the West. What will be interesting is that they have grown tired of NKs actions, and are starting to lose face by being one of their very few allies. China will do whatever it can to stop a new war on the peninsula. The question becomes if NK attacks SK, will they support NK and provide troops and support like they once did. I doubt it. Too much risk involved for them economically and it will demean their status on the world stage. Weirdly, they have become very powerful and accepted by the rest of the world. guess we shall see. I think NK will do everything to provoke an attack, for whatever reason, but will not do an all out frontal assault. course ive been wrong before.

VegasStlrFan
05-27-2010, 12:46 AM
China has their own little Mexico to deal with.

JackHammer
05-27-2010, 03:44 AM
"If there is so much as a fart bubble in the bath tub, there will be strong, devastating, apocalyptic WAR!" - N. Korea

Can you blame them???? Fart bubbles are fckn naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty!