PDA

View Full Version : Before Hines was the Face of the Steelers

solardave
05-20-2010, 02:56 PM
I was watching NFL network and they were talking about one of the inspirations in Steelers history. The man who after being drafted by the Steelers went on and served in Vietnam in the Army. After a grenade left his leg mangled and he was told he'd never play in the NFL while lying in the hospital he got a card saying "ROCK THE TEAM'S NOT DOING WELL! WE MISS YOU!!!" Signed Art Rooney. After that he spent a year on the practice squad just trying to make the team because as he said he never wanted to look back and say "what if?" I read years ago that the Chief kept him around because of his never say die attitude. Mean Joe said that if Rocky could practice as banged up as he was everybody had to give their best. He was slow yet he started next to HOFer Franco Harris. He played well into his 30s and made one of the best catches even after everyone agreed he couldn't catch a cold. I'm proud to say I watched him in his prime because he is what the Steeler Nation is all about. Blue collar. No nonsense. We may not all agree about how things should be done but we all agree that WE LOVE OUR STEELERS!!!!:tt04:
I'll admit I cried the day that Mike Webster died. I felt like a part of me had gone. I will be a Steeler fan until they close the coffin lid and after that if they don't remember anything else about me, they will remember I bleed Black and Gold! I guess you can tell the season is drawing near and the "Jones" is starting to kick in.

Riddle_Of_Steel
05-20-2010, 03:05 PM
I feel your pain, Dave.

solardave
05-20-2010, 03:15 PM
I feel your pain, Dave.

Man and I thought kickin' Crack was hard!:sofunny:

St33lersguy
05-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Great post

AllD
05-20-2010, 03:56 PM
Rocky was put on the onside kick receiving team because he had good hands in the mud. I remember him making a recovery which sealed a game. I also remember how the Rooney's sent Rocky to their doctor who took a magnet to his foot to suck out all the leftover schrapnel because the army doctors didn't do the job right.

cheezheadsteeler
05-20-2010, 04:45 PM
He was also one of the best pass blockers ever, he routinely eliminated rushers that were twice his size.

wootawnee
05-20-2010, 04:49 PM
Rocky was put on the onside kick receiving team because he had good hands in the mud. I remember him making a recovery which sealed a game. I also remember how the Rooney's sent Rocky to their doctor who took a magnet to his foot to suck out all the leftover schrapnel because the army doctors didn't do the job right.

Yep.....He was having major trouble still and they took another look and found that metal......Once it was out he really rebounded and got back on the field.........

I want to share a very long story about Mike Webster about his last few years which is very very tough to read.........I will post it in a while if I find it again so look for it cause its a great read.......It shows you how real this guy was......You would be hard pressed to find anyone in football these days as real as Mike...........

Steelers>NFL
05-20-2010, 04:50 PM
Yes that's true. Still to this day, doctors still can not get it right...
But that is a whole other subject.
Rocky at that time was an idol. Someone kids, or anybody could look up to.

solardave
05-21-2010, 07:01 AM
Yep.....He was having major trouble still and they took another look and found that metal......Once it was out he really rebounded and got back on the field.........

I want to share a very long story about Mike Webster about his last few years which is very very tough to read.........I will post it in a while if I find it again so look for it cause its a great read.......It shows you how real this guy was......You would be hard pressed to find anyone in football these days as real as Mike...........

That's why his death hit me so hard. He was one of my favorite players because of his toughness. The sad part is that the league did not take care of him. He gave his life for the sport and they (the NFL- not his team mates) turned their back on him. I think Justin Strzelczyk had brain damage too and it killed him. Terry Long is another one. There is probably a long list of ex-NFL players with brain damage suffered while playing. More than they want people to know about.