pete74
05-20-2010, 04:52 PM
Action Sports' John Meyer Goes 1-On-1 With Maurkice Pouncey
Steelers Rookie Talks Family, Transition To NFL
POSTED: 10:06 pm EDT May 19, 2010
UPDATED: 11:54 pm EDT May 19, 2010
Email Print
Comments PITTSBURGH --
Steelers first-round draft pick Maurkice Pouncey may have grown up in Florida, but the NFL rookie is already exhibiting the characteristics Pittsburghers have come to love and expect from their players.

Channel 4 Action Sports' John Meyer sat down with the Steelers rookie on Wednesday, only to find the 6-foot 4-inch, 304-pound offensive lineman is as soft-spoken off the field as he is intimidating on it.

Pouncey recalled getting a phone call from Steelers veteran wide receiver and team leader Hines Ward welcoming him to the franchise, but also letting him know it was time to get down to business.

"He called me as soon as I got done celebrating with my family the night of the draft. That Thursday night he called me and then Max Starks called me," said Pouncey. "[They said] 'Congratulations, get ready to work.'"

From there, the Florida native left the Sunshine State for the Keystone State, and quickly realized it would be a bumpy ride to the NFL, literally.

"The roads are different. They're all kind of bumpy. I'm used to lines on the roads. I was driving on one of the roads yesterday with one of the trainers and there weren't any lines to separate the double lane," said Pouncey. "I'm like, 'We supposed to be right here?' He's like, 'Don't worry, it's just this one street.' It's different."

But the 20-year-old's life hit a more serious bump in the road 18 months ago when his stepfather, Robert Webster, lost his right leg and nearly his life in a rail car accident at work.

"It made me more of a man. We were going to play Florida State that weekend. When he woke up, he looked at us man to man and said, 'You all need to get back up there with your team and I'm going to be fine.' So I guess it made me more of a man," said Pouncey.

Pouncey said that's when he and his twin brother, Mike, realized they needed to be there for their mom.

"Me and my brother sat down and talked and said it's time for us to step up -- stop all the games, all the dumb stuff you do as kids and step up to the plate," said Pouncey.

•Slideshow: Former Pittsburgh Steelers No. 1 Draft Picks

With his focus back on the football field, Pouncey has his sights set on a starting job in his rookie campaign with the Steelers.

"That's always a goal, especially any rookie coming in, but nothing's given to you. I'm going to have to go out there every day and work for it and I plan on competing for the job," said Pouncey.

Pouncey, who played both guard and center in college, is expected to start at guard on the Steelers offensive line before transitioning to center down the road.

Maurkice Pouncey with Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin (left) and team President Art Rooney II (right) More

"I did some center stuff today, so I don't know. We got a great center here. I don't think it will happen this year," said Pouncey.

While 900 miles separate Pittsburgh and Gainesville, Fla., Pouncey said his new team is reminiscent of his old Gators squad.

"This team here is just like college -- family here, there aren't any individuals. Everybody pulls together, so it kind of feels like Florida," said Pouncey.

Although Pouncey said there is one big difference from college to the pros -- the payday.

"Oh man, I can't wait for that first paycheck, to tell you the truth. I'm kind of living the college life still with no money, but whenever that first paycheck comes, it will be amazing," said Pouncey

Galax Steeler
05-21-2010, 04:55 AM
Got to love this kid. He should make the Pittsburgh Steeler mold from the centers of old.

solardave
05-22-2010, 05:47 AM
Yeah I see him starting for the next 10-12 years. I think if Hartwig struggles we may see him at center this year.

St33lersguy
05-22-2010, 07:24 AM
I am impressed with this kid. Hard worker, nice guy, has whatit takes to succeed in the NFL

Steelers>NFL
05-22-2010, 01:51 PM
Love his soft spoken personality. Very humble man. Awesome...

stillers4me
05-22-2010, 01:56 PM
I have high hopes for this one. Welcome to Pittsburgh, young man.

BKAnthem
05-22-2010, 02:59 PM
I predicted the Steelers would pick him @ 1....i'm glad they made me happy...

Mags87
05-22-2010, 07:19 PM
i remember his reaction when we picked him. he seemed the most excited out of all of the first rounders.

tony hipchest
05-22-2010, 08:14 PM
typically 1st round linemen are seniors and around 22 years old. pouncey is well developed at 20, but still a baby like mendenhall and timmons were.

i hope steelerfans take this into consideration before they start calling him a bust if he doesnt tear up the league in his first year.

MasterOfPuppets
05-22-2010, 10:40 PM
typically 1st round linemen are seniors and around 22 years old. pouncey is well developed at 20, but still a baby like mendenhall and timmons were.

i hope steelerfans take this into consideration before they start calling him a bust if he doesnt tear up the league in his first year.
nope.... he'll get the same treatment they all get ...:club: your either a rookie probowler or a bust...:rulez:

Galax Steeler
05-23-2010, 07:59 AM
nope.... he'll get the same treatment they all get ...:club: your either a rookie probowler or a bust...:rulez:

Agreed he will be a bust in about 50% of Steeler fans in his first year.

St33lersguy
05-23-2010, 08:47 AM
Reminds me of Polamalu, great performer on the field, soft spoken off the field

solardave
05-23-2010, 09:38 AM

Next year we take his brother and become the first NFL team to have pro-bowl brothers playing for us.:wink02:

pete74
05-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Next year we take his brother and become the first NFL team to have pro-bowl brothers playing for us.:wink02:

his brother dosnt have his great balance or play with the same anger and intensity. i would love another OL man but DL will be a major need come draft time

SMR
05-23-2010, 11:50 AM
Come on Tony- You know better than that.

He is a bust if he doesn't start the first year. If he makes a mistake he is a complete bust and the coaching staff should be fired.

Then, after his second or third year, if he is any good, we should cut him because we can't afford him anymore.

:chuckle: Your "tiny" bit of sarcasm is noted.

24seven
05-23-2010, 12:28 PM
we all know if he's bust it's time fire Bruce Arians..

St33lersguy
05-23-2010, 04:25 PM
Come on Tony- You know better than that.

He is a bust if he doesn't start the first year. If he makes a mistake he is a complete bust and the coaching staff should be fired.

Then, after his second or third year, if he is any good, we should cut him because we can't afford him anymore.

Not to mention kevin Colbert should also be fired:chuckle:

pete74
05-23-2010, 07:57 PM
Not to mention kevin Colbert should also be fired:chuckle:

i think colbert is gone when his contract ends anyway. there is even a chance that him and cower may reunite