PDA

View Full Version : Matt Jones with the 30th pick.....

BB2W
03-31-2005, 11:32 AM
Matt Jones
Height: 6-6?
Weight: 242
40 time (hand-timed): 4.37 and 4.39
40 time (electronic): 4.40
Vertical jump: 39.5 inches
Standing broad jump: 10 feet, 9 inches

There is alot of talk in Steeler nation that we will pick Jones. He is another former QB, but a great all around athelete. Chris Mortenson said this morning that the draft's fastest rising player was in fact Matt Jones and that he should be taken very early in the 2nd and quite possibly late in the 1st. If this is the case I for one am all for taking him at #30. That kid will have El like skill with Plax like size. In essence if you were to sit down at a drafting table and were looking to engineer a WR, you would draw Matt Jones.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/columns/story?columnist=mortensen_chris&id=2025109

HinesWard4Life8682
04-02-2005, 12:30 AM
i think we should pick up fabian washington (CB), this guy has excellent athletic ability.

Matt jones looks intresting, im gonna read up on him some more. But do u think he will be available in 2nd round?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-02-2005, 09:17 AM
he's not gonna fall to the end of the second round to us, and we'd have to have 1 helluva a deal on draft day to move up to get him.. but taking him in the first round MIGHT be too much of a reach, and hence we may not get a decent shot at him.

ironcitychef
04-07-2005, 01:04 AM
I agree. Moving up too fast. Heard Kiper say 15-20 now. We don't need to lose a 3rd or 4th guy to just get him. Anyone seen that value chart the NFl has on draft movement? It is usually floating around somehwere this time of year where if I want to move up 6 spots it costs me a pick this round and one next round or what not? Need to see that...

BB2W
04-07-2005, 01:11 AM
15 to 20, that sucks. I really want him to be there for the Steelers. They dont have to take him, but I at least want them to be forced to consider it. It would be tough to pass on him with the 30th pick.

HinesWard4Life8682
04-07-2005, 04:10 PM
trade up maybe?

BB2W
04-07-2005, 09:06 PM
Video of Matt Jones workout at combine.......

http://www.hogcall.com/funstuff/multimedia/video/20050227NFLCombine/20050227-NFLCombine.wmv

That one-handed catch was nice.

More Matt Jones video.........amazing!

http://oinkville.tripod.com/mjtexas.wmv
http://oinkville.tripod.com/jones70.wmv
http://www.woopigsooie.net/mattslammajamma.mpeg

ironcitychef
04-08-2005, 12:02 AM
Crazy stuff. Thanks for the vids. Reminds me of "sunshine" from Remember the Titans. I think his name was Sunshine.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-08-2005, 12:04 AM
trade up maybe?

We dont have enuff ammo this year to move up and get him..unless we gave away atleast 1 of our day 1 picks and probably 1 next year along w/ a player...maybe even some day 2 picks too.

our draft position doesnt give us enuff leverage to really move up this year, from what I can tell.

BB2W
04-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Fox Sports newest mock draft has the Steelers selecting Matt Jones with the 30th pick. This is the 3rd mock I have seen with them taking Jones. This is what it said......

30. Steelers Matt Jones WR Arkansas
The Steelers already have three former college QBs in their huddle. With the success of Hines Ward and Antwaan Randle El, however, they won't be afraid to select the former Arkansas QB and make him their next conversion project. Jones would step into the role vacated by Plaxico Burress, especially in the red zone and on deep routes.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-15-2005, 12:39 AM
yeah the mocks are loving this pick to us, since Burress left.. but how many times have the Steelers followed suit in a mock? not too often, but we shall see. :)

ironcitychef
04-15-2005, 01:30 AM
If he is still there then I'd be happy with him. But someone ahead will hear whispers that he is going to us, then get jumpy and copycat, taking someone not suited for them. I'll say maybe uncle Marty in SD. We might be reaching to get him, but offices get twitchy when they see those impressive reps and times just sitting there being passed over. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I was way off on this either...more like typing outloud.

BB2W
04-19-2005, 02:05 PM
Questions from Colbert/Cowher pre-draft press conference........

Q: Are you looking to add a deep threat at wide receiver?

COWHER: Well, we want to get a good football player. Like I said Plax (Plaxico Burress) was a great contributor to this football team but I feel good about Antwaan (Randle El). When Antwaan stepped in, I said before he was still a good compliment to Hines (Ward). Of all the guys he high-points the ball probably better then anybody that we had on the team last year. I mean he can go up and get a football at it's highest point, sometimes people look at those things and I say I don't look at size as much as a person's ability to catch a ball at it's highest point. That's the size that you play at. And bringing in a Cedrick Wilson, a good, young, and developing player, we felt good about Cedrick from the standpoint of that they (San Francisco 49ers) didn't throw the ball a whole lot out there. They kind of were going through a little bit of a rebuilding process right now. And we feel like he is a good young receiver that can play inside and outside, and I think between those three guys I feel good about it. Yes I would like to add one but we do feel like we have a pretty good group right now. We have a guy who can throw it, now I want a guy who can catch the ball too. That's still the bottom line in this business.

---------------------------------------

Q: How do you know when a player can switch to a different position in the NFL?

COLBERT: I think that it has to do more with the individual. You look at the situation, can this player play this position, how does he play it in college, and can he play the same position to that level in the NFL. And some kids have to make the transfer but you have to do it really on an individual basis because they are all different sizes and different circumstances.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-19-2005, 07:42 PM
the throught of having to convert a player to a different position isnt the most appealing..but the Steelers are used it, since thats how we draft all of our LB's..so if anyone can pull it off, its us.

HinesWard4Life8682
04-19-2005, 10:52 PM
good news that troy williamson is going up in stock so that gives us a little chance but i doubt he'll be available still cuz his stock is rising very much too

BB2W
04-19-2005, 11:42 PM
the throught of having to convert a player to a different position isnt the most appealing..but the Steelers are used it, since thats how we draft all of our LB's..so if anyone can pull it off, its us.

That question came right after them addressing the WR position.......I thought they were hinting to Matt Jones going fron QB to WR. Plus we have done it with Ward, El, and Kordell.

Prosdo
04-21-2005, 06:42 AM
It definitely would be interesting to see Ward line up on one side with Matt Jones taking Plax's old spot. It would be nice to see him come to Pittsburgh, but I agree other teams might get a little jumpy. We may not get the oppurtunity to get him, but I'm hoping we do.

KILLERSteelers77
04-21-2005, 01:53 PM
Has anyone noticed that there hasn't been as much talk about Jones Lately... Maybe his stock is going down... I would love to see him in Black 'N' Gold... switches can be made and numbers don't lie. :cool:

ironcitychef
04-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Just wrote on the other thread, that the steelers are viewing Jones as lower than a #30 pick. So we may go in another direction. It is funny thouygh that Jones really hasn't done anything since combines and such. So his #'s then made his stock rise. Now we don't hear anything and his stock is falling. I like that guys #'s don't change, they don't play or anything, but they get better or worse in the minds of GM's.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-21-2005, 10:56 PM
the Steelers dont usually tip their hate very much if it at all as to where they are looking, which is a big reason why we usually get the man we want. So i wouldnt rule out anything quite yet.

BB2W
04-21-2005, 11:55 PM
I think the Eagles might trade up to get him........they have 13 picks this draft, and there is no way 13 rookis would make the Eagles roster. Plus, with all those picks they can afford to take a chance and select him early.

clevestinks
04-22-2005, 07:37 PM
I`m liking the pick, but we are down to 16 hours

BlitzburghRockCity
04-23-2005, 11:52 AM
I think the Eagles might trade up to get him........they have 13 picks this draft, and there is no way 13 rookis would make the Eagles roster. Plus, with all those picks they can afford to take a chance and select him early.

The eagles are also looking to pick up Travis Henry, which would eliminate some of their picks.

clevestinks
04-23-2005, 12:44 PM
I`m thinking Matt won`t be around, I`m glad it here, can`t take anymoredraft know it alls

clevestinks
04-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Won`t be Matt Jones, he`s gone. I was hoping to get him. Wow did he move up the last couple weeks or what??

ironcitychef
04-24-2005, 01:47 AM
If he is still there then I'd be happy with him. But someone ahead will hear whispers that he is going to us, then get jumpy and copycat, taking someone not suited for them. I'll say maybe uncle Marty in SD. We might be reaching to get him, but offices get twitchy when they see those impressive reps and times just sitting there being passed over. However, I wouldn't be surprised if I was way off on this either...more like typing outloud.
Of course who else copycats what we do better than JAX!