PDA

View Full Version : Batch patiently waiting his turn

Wallace108
05-21-2010, 11:17 AM
Why not Charlie Batch as the starter? For me the answer is simple ... he can't stay injury-free for a quarter much less four games. I really like Batch, but injuries have been his Achilles heel for his entire career.

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

Charlie Batch might not be into New Zealand politics much these days, but he and that down-under country's minister of defense in World War I have something in common -- a belief.

"Why not me? Why not now?" was part of a quote that helped make James Allen famous.

Indeed, most everyone has heard why Byron Leftwich and why Dennis Dixon, but why not Charlie Batch as the Steelers' starting quarterback for the first four games next season? He has been their No. 2 quarterback for most of the past decade, including last season.

Yet, for the eighth consecutive spring practice, starting with five in minicamp two weeks ago, Batch ran with the third team Thursday, Dixon the second and Leftwich the first.

It is assumed by most everyone that either Leftwich or Dixon will start the season for the suspended Ben Roethlisberger, who continues to be barred from the team's facility until NFL commissioner Roger Goodell deems his behavior evaluation acceptable. Assumed by all, that is, except Charlie Batch.

"That's what speculation does this time of year," Batch said, with a laugh. "All you can really do is continue to go out there and keep performing. Obviously, they felt I could do something because they signed me back. I'm not looking at it from a numbers standpoint; you look at it as just go out there and however it falls in place, that's how it falls."

Coach Mike Tomlin has promised that all three quarterbacks will get their opportunities to show they should start, and Batch hopes that is true.

"I would like that. Right now, you have to see how it plays out. Either way, there's not a lot of reps to go around for everybody. Now the question's going to be, as we continue to move forward, how are the reps going to be split?"

That will become an even bigger question when Roethlisberger returns. Coordinator Bruce Arians says when/if Roethlisberger returns for some spring practices, "He'll jump right back in there."

Batch has been running an offense with rookies and street free agents all spring. Is this any way to win a job?

"It's a different situation, but, when you're running the offense, you have to deal with all those nuances -- the younger receivers, the younger linemen, they're going through that whole learning process," Batch said. "Maybe you understand where guys are supposed to be, but they may be there a split-second slower than you're accustomed to seeing.

"Right now, you look at it as you're running the offense and you're almost learning and teaching at the same time. Those mistakes that are made will maybe be made with me, so, by the time they get to Ben, they're already corrected because if they're still here they'll be counted on to play."

Batch understands what is going on. He has been with the Steelers since 2002 and will be entering his 13th NFL season. Leftwich spent 2008 with the Steelers, and Dixon will be in his third NFL season. The coaches know what Batch can do and must find out about the others.

"I think they have a situation where you have to look at Dennis extensively, because you have to figure out what you have," Batch said. "Based on what the rules are right now, they have six years to decide with Dennis because he has six years before he's an unrestricted free agent. So, is he your guy long-term? Is Byron your guy short-term? You don't know that. I'm not going to be around here six more years. So, they have to answer those questions."

While they try to come up with those answers, Batch said he will provide them with the same response he always has given the Steelers.

"I'd love to be the guy. All I can do right now is go through OTAs, once we go to training camp, keep doing what I'm doing and, obviously, if it gets to the point that 'OK, Charlie, you're the guy,' I'll be ready to go.

"That's not going to stop, I've always prepared as if I'm the starter. When my number is called, I'll be ready."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10141/1059712-66.stm

GodfatherofSoul
05-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Why not Charlie Batch as the starter? For me the answer is simple ... he can't stay injury-free for a quarter much less four games. I really like Batch, but injuries have been his Achilles heel for his entire career.

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Matt Freed/Post-Gazette

Charlie Batch might not be into New Zealand politics much these days, but he and that down-under country's minister of defense in World War I have something in common -- a belief.

"Why not me? Why not now?" was part of a quote that helped make James Allen famous.

Indeed, most everyone has heard why Byron Leftwich and why Dennis Dixon, but why not Charlie Batch as the Steelers' starting quarterback for the first four games next season? He has been their No. 2 quarterback for most of the past decade, including last season.

Yet, for the eighth consecutive spring practice, starting with five in minicamp two weeks ago, Batch ran with the third team Thursday, Dixon the second and Leftwich the first.

It is assumed by most everyone that either Leftwich or Dixon will start the season for the suspended Ben Roethlisberger, who continues to be barred from the team's facility until NFL commissioner Roger Goodell deems his behavior evaluation acceptable. Assumed by all, that is, except Charlie Batch.

"That's what speculation does this time of year," Batch said, with a laugh. "All you can really do is continue to go out there and keep performing. Obviously, they felt I could do something because they signed me back. I'm not looking at it from a numbers standpoint; you look at it as just go out there and however it falls in place, that's how it falls."

Coach Mike Tomlin has promised that all three quarterbacks will get their opportunities to show they should start, and Batch hopes that is true.

"I would like that. Right now, you have to see how it plays out. Either way, there's not a lot of reps to go around for everybody. Now the question's going to be, as we continue to move forward, how are the reps going to be split?"

That will become an even bigger question when Roethlisberger returns. Coordinator Bruce Arians says when/if Roethlisberger returns for some spring practices, "He'll jump right back in there."

Batch has been running an offense with rookies and street free agents all spring. Is this any way to win a job?

"It's a different situation, but, when you're running the offense, you have to deal with all those nuances -- the younger receivers, the younger linemen, they're going through that whole learning process," Batch said. "Maybe you understand where guys are supposed to be, but they may be there a split-second slower than you're accustomed to seeing.

"Right now, you look at it as you're running the offense and you're almost learning and teaching at the same time. Those mistakes that are made will maybe be made with me, so, by the time they get to Ben, they're already corrected because if they're still here they'll be counted on to play."

Batch understands what is going on. He has been with the Steelers since 2002 and will be entering his 13th NFL season. Leftwich spent 2008 with the Steelers, and Dixon will be in his third NFL season. The coaches know what Batch can do and must find out about the others.

"I think they have a situation where you have to look at Dennis extensively, because you have to figure out what you have," Batch said. "Based on what the rules are right now, they have six years to decide with Dennis because he has six years before he's an unrestricted free agent. So, is he your guy long-term? Is Byron your guy short-term? You don't know that. I'm not going to be around here six more years. So, they have to answer those questions."

While they try to come up with those answers, Batch said he will provide them with the same response he always has given the Steelers.

"I'd love to be the guy. All I can do right now is go through OTAs, once we go to training camp, keep doing what I'm doing and, obviously, if it gets to the point that 'OK, Charlie, you're the guy,' I'll be ready to go.

"That's not going to stop, I've always prepared as if I'm the starter. When my number is called, I'll be ready."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10141/1059712-66.stm

Sorry Charlie, but you're the odd man out. Leftwich is a decent backup and probably has the same abilities, less being as injury prone and long in the tooth. Leftwich also seems to have more fire in the gut as he's still tried for a starting job. Batch was happy to fill in as a #2 (admirably) when he probably had the talent to start somewhere else. Dixon is young and has big upside.

We're not keeping 4 QBs on the roster.

HometownGal
05-22-2010, 05:03 AM
Indeed, most everyone has heard why Byron Leftwich and why Dennis Dixon, but why not Charlie Batch as the Steelers' starting quarterback for the first four games next season?

The answer is very simple. Charlie reeks as a QB and really never was anything to write home about even when he played for the Lions. As a person and a teammate, though, he is something special.

solardave
05-22-2010, 08:00 AM
The answer is very simple. Charlie reeks as a QB and really never was anything to write home about even when he played for the Lions. As a person and a teammate, though, he is something special.

I wouldn't go that far. Let me throw out some names of backups past. Cliff Stoudt, Bubby Brister, Mark Malone ( actually started for awhile). Now let's look at some completion percentages:
Stoudt: 50.9
Brister: 54.6
Malone: 50.9
Batch : 56.1
Let's look at some HOFers

Bradshaw: 51.9
Montana: 63.24
Young: 64.28
Aikman: 61.46
Marino: 59.43

I'm just saying if you put the injuries a side:wink02: he is not a bad option as a backup!

Wallace108
05-22-2010, 11:14 AM
I'm just saying if you put the injuries a side:wink02: he is not a bad option as a backup!

I agree. Batch is a solid backup who you can count on if you need him for only a quarter or maybe a game. But staying healthy for 4 games? That's a stretch.

Steelers>NFL
05-22-2010, 01:47 PM
He needs to worry about staying healthy first.
Seems that he can not even cough without breaking a bone somewhere in his body. :rofl:

tube517
05-22-2010, 10:12 PM
:applaudit:

I agree. Batch is a solid backup who you can count on if you need him for only a quarter or maybe a game. But staying healthy for 4 games? That's a stretch.

Psyychoward86
05-22-2010, 10:22 PM

he's been alright.

DanRooney
05-22-2010, 11:37 PM
I wouldn't go that far. Let me throw out some names of backups past. Cliff Stoudt, Bubby Brister, Mark Malone ( actually started for awhile). Now let's look at some completion percentages:

56.1 is no where near 64 or 63 percent. Adding to that, China Doll has thrown for probably 1/5 or less of the passes that any of the other guys on the list. Was your post supposed to prove anything?

Why am I even arguing this. Just a stupid post all together.

touchdownward
05-23-2010, 09:54 AM
Charlie Batch, at this stage of his career, should only be used in a dire emergency.
I do think he will make a fine QB coach once his career is over, which is sooner rather than later.

HometownGal
05-23-2010, 08:07 PM

We'll simply have to agree to disagree here. :drink: Charlie has one of the worst pair of happy feet I've ever seen in all the years I've watched pro football and I've never been impressed with his arm strength. The only things I will give him is that he has a good football mind, has been a good mentor for Ben and he is a great teammate. Every time he's come into a game, my stomach starts disco dancing. :horror:

Wallace108
05-23-2010, 08:34 PM
We'll simply have to agree to disagree here. :drink: Charlie has one of the worst pair of happy feet I've ever seen in all the years I've watched pro football and I've never been impressed with his arm strength. The only things I will give him is that he has a good football mind, has been a good mentor for Ben and he is a great teammate. Every time he's come into a game, my stomach starts disco dancing. :horror:

I'm going to have to disagree HTG. I think Batch has always been a talented QB. If he was a few years younger and wasn't so injury prone, I'd take him over Leftwich any day of the week and twice on Sundays. But he's just like Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala. ... Fu was a talented running back but got hurt every time he stepped on the field. When Batch is playing, I'm not worried about him making a dumb mistake ... I'm worried about him breaking something. :wink02:

HometownGal
05-23-2010, 08:37 PM
I'm going to have to disagree HTG. I think Batch has always been a talented QB. If he was a few years younger and wasn't so injury prone, I'd take him over Leftwich any day of the week and twice on Sundays. But he's just like Chris Fuamatu-Ma'afala. ... Fu was a talented running back but got hurt every time he stepped on the field. When Batch is playing, I'm not worried about him making a dumb mistake ... I'm worried about him breaking something. :wink02:

We can agree to disagree and though we respect each other's opinions, we don't have to agree with them. :drink: I'm the opposite of you - I'd take Lefty every day of the week, twice on Sundays and thrice on holidays. :wink: :thumbsup: If Botch was cut by the Steelers, I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

Wallace108
05-23-2010, 08:44 PM
We can agree to disagree and though we respect each other's opinions, we don't have to agree with them. :drink: I'm the opposite of you - I'd take Lefty every day of the week, twice on Sundays and thrice on holidays. :wink: :thumbsup: If Botch was cut by the Steelers, I wouldn't bat an eyelash.

We can agree on this ... Batch will probably be gone when Ben comes back. :drink:

Chidi29
05-23-2010, 10:36 PM
The one really good thing about Batch is as Tomlin said the other day, Batch doesn't really need reps. You can throw him into a game cold and be able to get by. You can't do that with a guy like Dixon. He needs all the reps he can get in camp and in the preseason.

Even though Batch will likely get cut once Ben comes back, he's a guy we can immediately look to if there is an injury to anyone during the season. He's unlikely to get any action on the market; I didn't hear anything about him during the time he was a FA in the offseavon.

tony hipchest
05-24-2010, 01:05 AM
You can't do that with a guy like Dixon. He needs all the reps he can get in camp and in the preseason.

:huh:

dixon was asked to make his first career start, in primetime, on the road, vs hated division rivals, against one of the toughest defenses in the league.

all this with ZERO reps during the week.

he took them to overtime. ive seen more polished qb's (like tom brady) do worse.

MasterOfPuppets
05-24-2010, 02:04 AM
:rofl:

We have been of one mind on Batch for a while. I do like the guy, loved him as a backup. But the last couple of years, I think his age has caught up with him.
he's 1 year older than peyton manning and has played in a heck of a lot less games ... :noidea:

Chidi29
05-24-2010, 09:32 PM
:huh:

dixon was asked to make his first career start, in primetime, on the road, vs hated division rivals, against one of the toughest defenses in the league.

all this with ZERO reps during the week.

he took them to overtime. ive seen more polished qb's (like tom brady) do worse.

Put it this way. I'd be comfortable putting Batch in with little reps. Dixon, as well as he did given the circumstances, still needs all the work he can get in.

Wallace108
05-24-2010, 11:45 PM
His body seemingly just can't do it anymore. Least, that is the only thing I can think of for the spate of injuries he has been through lately.

That's just it ... his injuries are nothing new. He's been injury prone his whole career.
From Wikipedia:

In 1999 he led Detroit to a surprising wildcard playoff game against the Washington Redskins. Batch did not play in the game, giving way to Gus Frerotte due to injury, and Detroit lost 2713.

The 2000 season proved to be Batch's last as a legitimate NFL starter. He was again injured (leaving the Week 17 matchup against Chicago with a shoulder injury) in a pivotal game in which Detroit lost on a last-second field goal by Paul Edinger.

He started the 2001 season as Detroit's starter under new Head Coach Marty Mornhinweg, but was injured again late in 2001

...... And of course we know his history of injuries with the Steelers. Since he's been here, his injuries do seem to come more frequently. In Detroit, he came close a few times to making it through an entire season.

SteelGhost
05-25-2010, 02:07 PM
A more accurate title for this thread would be .... "Batch patiently waiting his turn to retire from the NFL" :chuckle:

AllD
05-25-2010, 05:25 PM
Batch supports the community which is Rule #1. He deserves every opportunity available to him.