PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather S.B

casteeler
05-24-2010, 07:09 PM
This is my very first thread and probably a bit early to discuss but here goes.Earlier on ESPN i watched a piece on where the 2014 S.B should be held and the NY Giant/Jets stadium was on the top of the list.It's possible that as a west coast resident i don't fully understand the allure on New York or the citys' football history but it seems to me as a 20 yr NFL spectator and Steeler fan that Pittsburgh should at least be considered. I am in no way trying to badmouth or take anything away from the NY fans or it's residents however with as rich and deeply ingrained the Steelers are in the city of pittsburgh it seems that the city,residents and fans all over the world deserve to be seriously considered in this debate!

pete74
05-24-2010, 07:46 PM
steelers are against it. i would like to see it in new york and pittsburgh but i dont know if the risk is worth it. we just had a horrible winter and if we or new york got 2' of snow before the game it wouldnt make it very fun because the stadium wouldnt be filled.

Sharkissle29
05-24-2010, 09:08 PM
steelers are against it. i would like to see it in new york and pittsburgh but i dont know if the risk is worth it. we just had a horrible winter and if we or new york got 2' of snow before the game it wouldnt make it very fun because the stadium wouldnt be filled.

i think the stadium would fill regardless, its the superbowl!

the real argument should be that poor weather can determine the outcome of a football game, and the best team wont necessarily win......thats the only reason why i think it would be a bad idea. rain is much different than playing in snow....

truesteelerfan
05-24-2010, 09:10 PM
I'm 100% in favor of it....In fact I'd like to see it rotate to a new city among the NFL's teams on a regular basis. Snow, Ice, Fog, Rain....They are all part of what makes football.....well, football! I know the league is probably concerned about things like attendance, and the overall environment of the weekend....But it comes down to the game.....We all know that the majority of people who get to see a SB in person are not the common fans...they are big spenders and the corporations who allow them to spend big with them...Yes, these people might not be able to get to host their top clients in $2000 seats...but I have a feeling the game would still sell out...No matter what NFL city it is played in. Just my two cents!

Chidi29
05-24-2010, 09:14 PM

the real argument should be that poor weather can determine the outcome of a football game, and the best team wont necessarily win......thats the only reason why i think it would be a bad idea. rain is much different than playing in snow....

Of course, it would have to be snowing during the game for it to be a problem. Even if it snowed the day before, you can pretty much clear it all off in time.

I don't have a problem with playing in New York or Pittsburgh. You're taking a chance of catching rain (Remember how bad the Colts/Bears game looked with all the rain) in an outdoor stadium. Even if it isn't as bad, you're still dealing with the elements and it seems hypocritical to me.

steelerchad
05-24-2010, 09:44 PM

Come on. The stadium would certainly be filled.
I went to the AFCC game in 08 against Baltimore. Brutal cold, and a night game as well. The SB in Pittsburgh would be full.

I'm not sure Pittsburgh would have enough seats for them to consider us. Hotels would definately be a problem as well. Jacksonville brought in cruise ships to use as floating hotels a few years ago.

As much as I'd like to see the Steelers with a chance to play a SB at home, I don't think that will ever happen. NY makes sense to me though. One of the greatest cities in the world, the NFL HQ's are there, 2 NFL teams reside in the area, plenty to do, it would create a week long nightlife and party that they are trying to create with the probowl week before, and hotels would not be a problem. Not to mention, that's driveable for me in Virginia and most Steeler fans from the Pittsburgh area if we happen to get in the game in 2014. It will be like Detroit all over again in SB XL, where Steeler fans take over the city.

Psyychoward86
05-24-2010, 10:12 PM
It's all about the dolores. I dont think it's happening

RoethlisBURGHer
05-24-2010, 10:41 PM
It will happen in New York. But not anywhere else that doesn't have a domed stadium.

Vincent
05-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Pittsburgh doesn't have the infrastructure to do a top drawer Superbowl and the weather is too unpredictable given that factor..

'Sides I like it when we win Superbowls in other people's houses. I wouldn't care to watch another team win one in our house.

I would love to see one in the new Meadowlands complex. I think the potential weather would add something especially if we're in it. Can you imagine us against a dome, Florida, or West Coast team in a snow storm? With the crowd we'd bring? That would be freekin spectacular. 33-3 in a beatdown for,the ages.

A Gints / Jets SB in the new Meadowlands would be great too.

casteeler
05-24-2010, 11:23 PM
the fact remains that in cold weather the advantage favors "smashmouth teams" .With that said the city of pittsburgh and it's residents could benifit financially from a huge game like the S.B

Steel-Bryan
05-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Temporary dome ?

XxKnightxX
05-25-2010, 01:52 AM
First of All lets get something clear, the Superbowl will be advertised as in New York but the game will be played in New Jersey. I for one would like to see it because the atmosphere will be amazing not to mention I can sneak into the super bowl as an EMT riding for a squad or get a job with the NJSEA, so that makes me excited. And its in the perfect setting, brand spanking new stadium, A hell of a lot of hotels in the Newark, East Rutherford, Hasbrouck Heights, Hackensack, Jersey City, and obviously in New York city. The Xanadu disaster mall is now scheduled to open in 2012 or 2013 with a huge mall and space and entertainment such as indoor skiing so it can make many locations for the NFL experience to happen. Also add the fact that NFL HQs are there and many people who arent from the East would want to go to NY/NJ and visit. To me New York is eh but from others they get so amazed when they see the city. Its gonna happen.

Galax Steeler
05-25-2010, 04:22 AM
Like someone stated earlier I don't think Pittsburgh has the seating capacity to accomedate a Super Bowl.

pete74
05-25-2010, 04:42 AM

no way. there were people snowed in a week after our big strom this year. there were roads that were impossible to travel on 5 days after. if we had a big storm like that the night before the game there is no way everyone would make it

colescott1
05-25-2010, 07:37 AM
Since the regular season, which determines who goes to the playoffs, AND the playoffs, which determine who gets to play in the Supebowl, are both played in outdoor stadiums, with weather playing a part, it is certainly hypocritical that the Superbowl is only played in Domes.
Outdoor might favor "Smashmouth" teams, but indoor favors finesse, speed games....

Just like having the Superbowl on a Sunday night... (WTF???) Have it on a Saturday night so people can stay out and enjoy it more!!!

solardave
05-25-2010, 07:59 AM

I heard the reason they are top of the list is because the new stadium cost 3 Gazillion dollars to build. The Rooney's would have to build a 4 Gazillion stadium to compete. I'm pretty sure if they built one at todays cost it would be a dome. :tt04:

casteeler
05-25-2010, 11:21 AM
by far the best suggestion was a saturday night game! I still think the city of pittsburgh is known all over the country as a die-hard football city and an awesome place to host the biggest game in the US!

steelerchad
05-25-2010, 11:48 AM
Since the regular season, which determines who goes to the playoffs, AND the playoffs, which determine who gets to play in the Supebowl, are both played in outdoor stadiums, with weather playing a part, it is certainly hypocritical that the Superbowl is only played in Domes.
Outdoor might favor "Smashmouth" teams, but indoor favors finesse, speed games....

Just like having the Superbowl on a Sunday night... (WTF???) Have it on a Saturday night so people can stay out and enjoy it more!!!

I've been saying this for years. A lot of people want to say that bad weather could affect the outcome of the game and give a team from a bad weather city an unfair advantage. Well isn't playing against a finese, passing team like the Colts in a Dome or warm weather an advantage for them.

The only thing I'll say about the weather being a bad thing is that to me bad weather seems to favor the underdog. It seems to even the playing field. Maybe cause some additional turnovers.
Football was meant to be played in the elements.

Dino 6 Rings
05-25-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm against it the more I think about it. Have any of you actually driven in NJ on Route 3 where the stadium is going to be located? Talk about a mess, and that's just on a tuesday at noon.

They should build a Super Bowl Stadium, all the owners together, should build it in one of the worst places in the country that has a need for a boost to the economy, like somewhere in southern texas or mabye Mobile Alabama, and only have the Super Bowl in that legitimately Neutral Site. I felt a little disgust at seeing the stupid Buc Pirate Ship in the super bowl. And that way, its fair.

"oh but you can't build a state of the art stadium for just one game!" Fine, host the National Title Game there too, and some other events over time. Concerts, Circus, Monster Truck rallies, whatever. But make it a true Neutral Site where no team has an advantage.

Oh, and that would also go for College, no more LSU in National Title games in New Orleans, or USC in a National Title game in the Rose Bowl, or crap like that.

Yeah, its an impossible dream, but still, that would be the best solution. Build the Super Stadium. All the owners pool their money and resources to get it done. But then again, the owners wouldn't be so keen on building their own super stadiums like Jerra' did to get a Super Bowl hosting bid.

xXTheSteelKingsXx
05-25-2010, 03:34 PM

Or how about making the Monday after the Super Bowl a national holiday. :tt02: :wink02:

steelerchad
05-25-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm against it the more I think about it. Have any of you actually driven in NJ on Route 3 where the stadium is going to be located? Talk about a mess, and that's just on a tuesday at noon.

They should build a Super Bowl Stadium, all the owners together, should build it in one of the worst places in the country that has a need for a boost to the economy, like somewhere in southern texas or mabye Mobile Alabama, and only have the Super Bowl in that legitimately Neutral Site. I felt a little disgust at seeing the stupid Buc Pirate Ship in the super bowl. And that way, its fair.

"oh but you can't build a state of the art stadium for just one game!" Fine, host the National Title Game there too, and some other events over time. Concerts, Circus, Monster Truck rallies, whatever. But make it a true Neutral Site where no team has an advantage.

Oh, and that would also go for College, no more LSU in National Title games in New Orleans, or USC in a National Title game in the Rose Bowl, or crap like that.

Yeah, its an impossible dream, but still, that would be the best solution. Build the Super Stadium. All the owners pool their money and resources to get it done. But then again, the owners wouldn't be so keen on building their own super stadiums like Jerra' did to get a Super Bowl hosting bid.

Can't do it in an area that doesn't have a BIG city infrastructure. You need a major international airport, maybe even 2 or 3 nearby, like NY, DC, LA or Miami. You also need accomadations for all the fans and media for the week.
If JAX could hardly swing it. No way Mobile or Southern Texas can.

pete74
05-25-2010, 04:40 PM
new york won and will host the 2014 super bowl

XxKnightxX
05-26-2010, 03:05 AM

With the new ramps and bridges being built around the area the traffic while still crappy, moves more efficiently, and thats where shuttles/trains will come more handy when you come to watch the big game. Personally i take the Joissy' Pike to get to the games its a hell of a lot faster and trust me 4 years to improve traffic flow into the stadium shouldnt be a problem at all. you got 3 120 the pike, path train , shuttles, plus cars. If they maanged to have off campus parking in the middle of a swamp driving into the stadium should be a cake walk.

Godfather
05-26-2010, 09:20 AM

Easiest way to do that would be just put a dome in Cleveland or Cincy.

Fire Haley
05-26-2010, 09:41 AM
Goodell knows the Steelers are a finesse passing team now

Prok
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
I don't mind new jersey getting the SB. But I think if they can let them have it that they can damn well let a Pittsburgh, Green Bay or Chicago host a SB too.

GODell won't let that happen though.

HughC
05-26-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't mind new jersey getting the SB. But I think if they can let them have it that they can damn well let a Pittsburgh, Green Bay or Chicago host a SB too.

GODell won't let that happen though.
I don't think the combination of the Motel 6 Green Bay, Days Inn Green Bay, and Super 8 Green Bay is quite going to cut it as far as hosting a Super Bowl and the accompanying two week's worth of activities goes.

Fire Haley
05-26-2010, 07:40 PM
It's not about the weather - it's about the money. Build a new billion dollar stadium and you too can get a SB.

Super Bowl may get name for Giants-Jets stadium

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP)—Landing the Super Bowl in 2014 should help the Giants and Jets finally put a name on their new $1.6 billion stadium.

Speaking at a news conference Wednesday, the owners of the two NFL teams said the selection of the stadium for the NFL championship game in roughly 3 1/2 years is bound to attract sponsors interested in seeing their company’s name on the 82,500-seat facility.

Some experts believe that the naming rights for the stadium located less than five miles New York City might fetch $20 million annually for the teams to split.

“It can’t hurt,” Giants co-owner John Mara said at the press conference at the stadium on Wednesday, less than 24 hours after NFL owners awarded the New York-New Jersey area the Super Bowl. “This is a positive factor. It makes it an even more attractive package, the potential naming rights part, but that will come.”

Until the naming rights are sold, the stadium will continue to be called the New Stadium at the Meadowlands

The Giants and Jets had naming rights negotiations with a German insurance company in September 2008, but talks ended when it was disclosed that Allianz once had ties to the Nazis. The deal could have been worth an estimated $30 million annually.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-superbowl-celebration

Ricco Suavez
05-26-2010, 10:39 PM
What is lost in this latest NFL under the table deal is this. The hypocrite know as Goodell and his host of cohorts circumvented a rule concerning the host of the Superbowl. Temperatures have to be above a certain level at that time of year and NY was not in that group and now they are saying this is a one time exemption. Further example of "fair minded" Commish. His leadership serves his own agenda or those of his friends,

X-Terminator
05-26-2010, 10:50 PM
It's a shame that the Rooneys were against it, because I'd be on the phone with Der Kommissar right now asking for the Super Bowl to be held here. Contrary to popular belief, Pittsburgh DOES have the infrastructure to hold it. Hotels are being built every day - 1 new one just opened right across the street from PNC Park's main entrance (Residence Inn) and 2 more are being built near there as we speak. They're building another hotel next door to the CONSOL Energy Center, the Pens' new home (Cambria Suites), another new one in the new Three PNC Plaza tower (Fairmont Hotel), plus all of the existing hotels downtown and at/near the airport. They should be finished with the subway extension to the North Shore and Heinz Field by next summer, so it'll be much easier for fans to get to the stadium and not have to fight traffic. Not to mention the fact that there's a huge freaking convention center that barely gets used where they can hold everything you can possibly think of for the NFL Experience. And don't think for a second that the Rivers Casino wouldn't be chomping at the bit to get those people to come in and give them their money. If Pittsburgh can host the MLB All-Star Game and possibly next year's NHL Winter Classic, then it absolutely can host the Super Bowl.