PDA

View Full Version : ..... always remember 'the last Bus-ride'.....

4xSBChamps
02-08-2006, 08:16 PM
..... to set the stage, there is 6:33 to-play in SB-XL, and Seattle has the ball on the Stiller 47, 3 & 8, when DeShea Townsend blitzes, putting hat-on-chin to Hasselbeck, sacking him for a 6 yard-loss, and forcing Seattle to punt from their-own 47.....
Rouen's kick goes into the end-zone, and Pittsburgh takes-over on the touch-back at the 20, with 6:15 to play.

Everybody in the joint KNOWS that Bettis will get the ball, and he is stuffed for a 2 yard-loss in the center of the line, but the clock keeps running, setting up 2nd & 12.

The ball is snapped at 5:33, and Bettis smashes off Right Tackle for 6 yards, as valuable seconds tick-away.....

Roethlisberger calls time-out before taking the snap with 4:45 to play on 3rd & 6, and when play resumes, he throws an inside-screen pass to Randle El off Right Tackle, who carries the ball to the Pitt 31, good for a 1st down, as the clock continues to turn.....

With the clocking reading "4:00", on 1st down, Seattle crams the line, but Bettis bulls his way off Right Tackle for 4 yards, as Seattle calls for it's first time-out @ 3:54.....

On 2nd down, Bettis goes off Left tackle for 4 more yards, making it 3rd & 2, as Seattle takes it's 2nd time-out of the half @ 3:51.....

On a critical play, Roethlisberger takes the ball himself around Left End for 3 yards, while Seattle keys-on Bettis, moving the chains @ 3:41 to-play.....

On 1st down, Bettis carries for 2 yards off Right Tackle, dragging 2 Seahawks with him, as Seattle is forced to take it's 3rd and final time-out with 3:04 showing on the clock.....

Bettis is stuffed-up at Right Guard for no-gain on 2nd & 8, but the clock is beginning to become more-important than yardage.....

With 2:21 to play on 3rd & 8 at the Pitt 43, Roethlisberger takes the snap, and gives the ball to Bettis, who goes-off Left Tackle for 4 yards to the Pitt 47, partially-knocked off-balance by Kendall Simmons as he spins-away from would-be tacklers, 4 yards shy of a 1st down, as the clock stops at the 2 minute warning.

Bettis walked off the field following that play, appeared to be huffing-and-puffing as he went, socks around his ankles, a 'working-man' who'd done his job very-well:
Pittsburgh will punt-away to Seattle, the Stiller defense will hold them as time runs-out, and the Black-and-Gold will win Super Bowl XL.

Jerome Bettis did-not get to do his 'strut' after a big run on this day, he won't score a touchdown in his final NFL game (after scoring in 3 consectutive games at Cincinnati, Indianapolis, and Denver ), and we will never-again see his 'King-Kong' monster-spike in the end-zone, but he DID carry the ball 6 times for 18 yards when EVERYBODY in America, INCLUDING the opposition, knew he would be getting the ball, setting-up 2 crucial 3rd-down conversions (Randle El's screen-pass, Roethlisberger's naked-bootleg ), punishing defenders to the end, all-the-while keeping the chains, and the clock, moving towards it's inevitible destination:
in-effect, he "CHOKED" the clock on the Seahawks, NOT-giving them enough-time to get 2 scores in the final 6+ minutes, when the game was still up-for-grabs.

With the help of his blockers and teammates, Jerome Bettis almost single-handedly ran 4+ minutes off the clock, securing this franchise's 5th World Championship:
I mentioned this fact to friends I watched the game with as Gardocki punted-away, and as a die-hard fan of this team for more-than 38 of my 46 years, I will always remember what Bettis did at the end of SB-XL.
:cheers: :nw: :tt: :toast: :bowdown: :tt02: :salute: :thumbsup: :tt03: :drink:

tony hipchest
02-08-2006, 08:40 PM
this is an excellent post! people knocked the steelers yards/ carry throughout the playoffs. but when you scratch the surface you see this exact type of drive is what was going on. it was all in the gameplan. if the steelers wanted to draw up another w. parker 75 yd run, or randel el pass for a td, im sure they couldve but its just not their style to run up the points.

melroseplace
02-08-2006, 09:01 PM
thanks so much for posting this...I didn't even realize that was his last play. I was so caught up in the game that I didn't take the time to realize that would be the last time we'd see Bussy in uniform on the field, pounding the hell out of the other team's defense. :crying01: I miss him already

BlitzburghRockCity
02-08-2006, 09:06 PM
Jerome will never be forgotten..one of the greatest Steelers of all time.

Nice post !

silver & black
02-08-2006, 09:14 PM
Hell, even an old Raider dog like me is gonna miss him. I really enjoyed watching him play over the years. You won't see many more like him in the game today. Bettis was about the game and his team... a player that 99% of all players in the NFL today, would do well to emulate.

tony hipchest
02-08-2006, 09:21 PM
thanks so much for posting this...I didn't even realize that was his last play. I was so caught up in the game that I didn't take the time to realize that would be the last time we'd see Bussy in uniform on the field, pounding the hell out of the other team's defense. :crying01: I miss him already

youre right. i was so caught up in the fact that they had won (or were winning), i didnt take time to soak it in, remember it, or appreciate that final drive as the last time we will see jerome in action. i guess the finality of him retiring hasnt set in and perhaps have taken him for granted. any way we can get him into the pro-bowl? :dang:

once again, great thread!

PisnNapalm
02-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Excellent post!

As a young kid I was too young to appreciate Franco Harris. As an adult I loved to see Jerome run over defenders. He's the guy I will happily tell my grandkids about some day.

Thank you Jerome for being a Steeler!

4xSBChamps
02-08-2006, 09:26 PM
..... a very heart-felt "THANK YOU" to all who have already replied in such a positive manner:
I thought 'maybe' this Forum's members wouldn't look kindly on such a post.
:hunch:

I watched the game with 2 couples who are 'decent' Stiiler/footabll fans, and my girlfriend, who 'indulges' me with her presence while I watch feverishly:
when I mentioned the above thoughts during the 2-minute warning, I didn't think any of them 'realized' the significance of what had just transpired, but thought maybe a few here might enjoy my thoughts.

Once-again, thank-you, and thank-you, Jerome!
:nw: :bowdown:

4xSBChamps
02-08-2006, 09:47 PM
As a young kid I was too young to appreciate Franco Harris. As an adult I loved to see Jerome run over defenders.
In my opinion, the only 2 guys that I can think of who remind me of Bettis, as-far-as brute power, are Larry Csonka, and Earl Campbell, in their primes.....

Csonka was a bit slower, more of a plow-horse, and probably not-as powerful as Bettis (he probably weighed much-less, too ), while Campbell was quicker/faster, but he was used in a manner that wore him out before his time:
Franco Harris had the size to be a real hammer, but he was shiftier (for a man of his size ) -and-slower than Campbell, yet for all his carries, he never really took that one 'BIG-HIT' that destroys running-backs, protecting his body at all times on the field.

His 1st few seasons, Harris ran low-to-the-fround, with his free arm around his thighs, fist-clenched, and used the 'rip'-maneuver in an up-ward fashion, to break-free of would-be tacklers:
after being injured much of 1973, Franco ran more like a 'pony-back'/half-back, using his size and power only when he had to for extra yardage.

Harris and Bettis had very-different styles, but the results were the same:
they got the job done.
:wink:

PisnNapalm
02-08-2006, 10:08 PM
When I think of Earl Campbell I always see the play where he just buried his helmet into the chest of a Rams defender. I love a back that can just run someone over.

I truly enjoyed watching Jerome play. I usually don't bother paying attention to college football. There's too many to keep track of, but I did notice Jerome when he played at ND. I watched him enviously when he was with the Rams. I was thrilled when he came to Pittsburgh.

There is one word that I think sums up his career and it's ending here in Pittsburgh. Destiny. :)

4xSBChamps
02-08-2006, 10:13 PM
When I think of Earl Campbell I always see the play where he just buried his helmet into the chest of a Rams defender.
#58, Isaah Roberston, who re-coiled like the carnival guy, who takes a cannon-ball in the chest.....
:wink02:

Lambert
02-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Good job Glen, I didnt realize that. Excellant thread

WeNowHave5
02-09-2006, 09:20 PM
#58, Isaah Roberston, who re-coiled like the carnival guy, who takes a cannon-ball in the chest.....
:wink02:

yea, and the funny thing is Campbell actually slows down and almost stops moving before he hits him. Imagine if he was going at full velocity?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2006, 10:04 PM
It's so surreal right now to think that come next training camp we wont see #36 there anymore !!!

iceman000123
03-19-2009, 11:41 AM
All hail Jerome Bettis

stlrtruck
03-19-2009, 12:03 PM
This was a great post and during the time I was watching the game, I never realized what was transpiring in front of me - but now I have on DVD and I'll be able to relive the moment again with my 3 year old when she's better able to understand.

Thanks for putting this out there. It'll be relevant in her learning process!

Thanks again! :applaudit:

Dino 6 Rings
03-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Great Post. !!! Big Fan!

SuzyPeppercorn
03-20-2009, 02:37 AM
great post man. i miss jerome already. I am only 19 so these are my first few seasons without him. It'll never be the same

Galax Steeler
03-20-2009, 05:17 AM
I am glad this post was brought back up I never had a chance to read it. Thanks

HometownGal
03-20-2009, 07:28 AM
I didn't see this one either - it most likely got lost in all of the SB and crying Waaaaahawks threads that season.

What a great post and trip down memory lane! :tt02: There will never be another Bus and I've missed him since the day he hung up his cleats. Thank you 4xSBChamps! :tt03::drink:

4xSBChamps
03-20-2009, 07:53 AM
'Ideally', Bettis would've moved the sticks again, and finished his last game on the field, with Roethlisberger handing him the ball on the last play, and hammering a Weephawk into submission.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/Bettisrunning-overaBrown.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/Bettisinthesnow.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/Bettisinendzone.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/BettiscelebratesSBXL.jpg

steelballs
03-20-2009, 08:27 AM
Very nice post!
I can picture Jerome powering his way through the stacked line right now.

Bettis was such a team player that when his curtain call finally came, his only concern was that the TEAM benefitted...and boy did it ever with our 5th Lombardi.

Vincent
03-20-2009, 11:06 AM
That was a great post!! Thank you.

There was only one Jerome Bettis. The name, the physique, the personality. That kid carried the team on his back for a decade. So many great memories.

Yes, Campbell and Czonka were similar talents, but they weren't Johnnie and Gladys' Baby Jerome.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/michael_silver/10/28/silver1028/t1_bettis.jpg

255 lbs my @$$. :chuckle: Can you imagine having to tackle that?:cya:

rbryan
03-20-2009, 11:18 AM
The vision of him posterizing (Is that a real word.....lol) Urlacher in the snow storm will stay with me the rest of my life. That is hands down my best memory of the Bus.

Vincent
03-20-2009, 11:51 AM
The vision of him posterizing (Is that a real word.....lol) Urlacher in the snow storm will stay with me the rest of my life. That is hands down my best memory of the Bus.

That's one of the better ones, no doubt...

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/051211/051211_bettis_hmed_130p.hmedium.jpg same game... http://www.sportsocracy.org/imgs/p1_bettis2.jpg http://www.sportsocracy.org/imgs/jbetts.jpg

and one om my faves... http://www.steelertribute.com/bus012.jpg

4xSBChamps
03-20-2009, 12:01 PM
255 lbs my @$$. :chuckle: Can you imagine having to tackle that? :cya:

I recall getting credit for 'tackling ' a 241-pound guy one-on-one in our sandlot League once, but I made it clear he had merely 'gotten me tangled-up in his feet as he trampled me':
the impact changed the taste in my mouth.....

:thud:

Indo
03-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Excellent Post!!

It was a sad day when he retired, but I was soooo glad Ben was able to keep good on his Promise to Jerome and get him a ring if he stayed one more year...

I LOVED watching the Bus just crush Urlacher----he's no slouch as an LB, but Jerome just buried him that game.

I live in Alabama now, but I lived in New Orleans for about 20 years (I was born/raised in The Burgh and will ALWAYS bleed Black and Gold). I remember going to a Saints game (had to still get my Football Fix, even if I couldn't see my Stillers...). Anyway, Bettis was playing for the Rams and he just Dominated the Saints---I remember thinking, "Man, I wish the Steelers had someone that could run like that!!"
And then it happened. One of the Best Days of my Life when I heard that The Bus-to-be was now a Steeler

Check out his book----I got it for Christmas and it's a Great read....

http://www.amazon.com/Bus-My-Life-out-Helmet/dp/0767926668/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237569966&sr=8-1

Phoenixus
03-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I don't think anyone will ever forget Bettis,

He's as much of a Steeler legend as you're going to get. The fact that he's talked about in the same breath as Franco shows just how much respect he did have.

SuzyPeppercorn
04-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Excellent Post!!

It was a sad day when he retired, but I was soooo glad Ben was able to keep good on his Promise to Jerome and get him a ring if he stayed one more year...

I LOVED watching the Bus just crush Urlacher----he's no slouch as an LB, but Jerome just buried him that game.

I live in Alabama now, but I lived in New Orleans for about 20 years (I was born/raised in The Burgh and will ALWAYS bleed Black and Gold). I remember going to a Saints game (had to still get my Football Fix, even if I couldn't see my Stillers...). Anyway, Bettis was playing for the Rams and he just Dominated the Saints---I remember thinking, "Man, I wish the Steelers had someone that could run like that!!"
And then it happened. One of the Best Days of my Life when I heard that The Bus-to-be was now a Steeler

http://www.amazon.com/Bus-My-Life-out-Helmet/dp/0767926668/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1237569966&sr=8-1

I read that book and loved it. I would definitely recommend it to any Steelers fan.

shovelnose
04-17-2009, 12:33 AM
Excellent Post!!

Read that book too! If you only knew Bettis from football. It's a must read. He could have been a thug instead of a football player. He did not have an easy life. I had an easier life than him and I don't own a SB ring lol!