PDA

View Full Version : ASK THE STEELERS Ė EMMANUEL SANDERS

lamberts-lost-tooth
05-25-2010, 11:51 AM
ASK THE STEELERS Ė EMMANUEL SANDERS

Steelers.com brings you the Ask the Steelers feature. Fans submitted the questions that were asked. Please understand that we receive an incredible number of questions for each player, with many of the questions being similar, and not all of the questions can be answered. We selected as many as possible, and took your questions to the current subject to get your answers.

Robbie Lloyd in Canada asks: What was the feeling like watching the draft and waiting for a team to call you, especially since the third round was the second night?
Emmanuel Sanders: It was nerve-racking. I was hearing from teams and my agent that I could get picked up in the second round, third round, fourth round and could fall down to the fifth. I had my draft party on that Friday and had 30 people there and was like please let me go today. It ended up happening and I went to the best organization in the NFL.

Christina BelŪo in El Paso, Texas asks: How did you feel when you were picked by the Steelers?
Emmanuel Sanders: It felt good. I was hearing rumors I could go there because of what happened with Santonio Holmes. At the end of the day I never thought it would happen. I felt Pittsburgh was a great fit for me. I got the call from the GM and was so excited. God is good because there is no better fit for me and my playing style than the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Troy Blancher in Great Falls, Montana asks: What are you most excited about after being drafted by the Steelers?
Emmanuel Sanders: I am excited about it all. I am excited about being a true professional. I just want to focus on football 24 hours a day. I know the Steelers are known for World Championships and I am definitely looking forward to potentially playing in a Super Bowl one day and doing everything I can do to make my team the best in the NFL.

Dave in Atlanta, Georgia asks: June Jones was your coach at S.M.U. Did he give you any advice that might help in your pro football career?
Emmanuel Sanders: He is steady giving me advice. He tells me to work hard, be the first one on the field; last one off the field. He is trying to help me. He has been there. He coached in the NFL, he knows what it takes. He is helping me become a better player.

Jerry Beatty in Texas asks: What is it going to be like to learn from Hines Ward and get advice from him?
Emmanuel Sanders: Itís going to be fun. Hines is one of the smartest players and a future Hall of Famer in my eyes. Just to sit and learn from him, I am going to absorb as much as he tries to teach me. Itís definitely a blessing. Most guys get thrown into the fire, but Hines has already done a good job of taking me under his wing and teaching me everything he knows.

Edward Vega in Bakersfield, California asks: Do you feel that you fit in the Steelers offense and what do you bring to the table that makes you feel that way?
Emmanuel Sanders: I feel like I fit perfectly. The Steelers run a wide-open offense like I have played in the last four years in college. I have been productive in both systems I played in. I feel like in college I was a play-maker. I can catch a five-yard out and take it to the house. I am a guy who has experience and doesnít mind going over the middle to make a catch.

Jamal L. Young in Brooklyn, New York asks: How would you describe your approach to getting off the line of scrimmage against coverage in the NFL?
Emmanuel Sanders: Itís all about technique. There are many steps to beating a guy. Some guys use their athletic ability, which I did in college. But now itís in the NFL. You have to be smart. Itís about technique, sending a guy to the outside, moving him over.

Sam Hergert in Quad Cities, Illinois asks: After you earn your playing time, how fun and effective will it be to have you and Mike Wallace on the field at the same time with your speed?
Emmanuel Sanders: Itís going to be so fun. I played with a guy named Aldrick Robinson who was similar to Mike Wallace who is a 4.2 guy who can flat out run. I am pretty fast, but not as fast as Mike. Thatís how we can complement each other. Mike can be the vertical guy and I can be the guy catching outs, getting up field and juking people and things of that nature.

John Roetter in Naperville, Illinois asks: What are your main goals for the upcoming season?
Emmanuel Sanders: I want to get rookie of the year. Thatís why I work out every day. I want to be a starter, I want to play on special teams, I want to be on the 53-man roster. I have plenty of goals and I feel like I can accomplish them. I set the bar high. I want to be Pro Bowler. I feel if you set the bar high and you fall a little short, you are still doing better than most people. Thatís how I see it.

Barry Price in New Jersey asks: Do they throw a lot at you during mini-camp?
Emmanuel Sanders: They throw a whole bunch at you. They throw about 40 plays in a day and want you to learn it. They want to see how much you can absorb. I think I did well with it. The playbook is thick, but I am working on it.

Don Palmer in Ohio asks: What was it like to put a Steelers helmet on for the first time in mini-camp?
Emmanuel Sanders: It felt good. When I put it on thatís when I realized I made it. After the draft everyone asked how does it feel? I told them I donít feel like I am an NFL player yet. When I was out there practicing, had the helmet on, thatís when I truly knew I had made it and it felt good.

Jared Lewis in Michigan: You hear a lot about the camaraderie in the Steelers locker room. What was your first impression of that?
Emmanuel Sanders: Thatís what I liked most. Even though we are all grown men, there are friendships that are formed and everyone still has that kid in them. There is so much in this business that is serious, but I feel like you have to smile and have fun with it. Guys like Hines Ward make sure guys are smiling and having a good time.

Terrell Smith in Sugar Land, Texas asks: It must be a great honor to wear the#88 jersey, formerly worn by the Hall of Fame receiver Lynn Swann. Have you had the chance to learn about him at all yet?
Emmanuel Sanders: Itís an honor. I have big shoes to fill. At first I didnít understand what #88 meant. I am from Texas and I didnít watch football that much growing up. I heard about Lynn Swann and did my research. It made me take my work ethic to an extra height. I have big shoes to fill. If they let me wear that number I am going to try and represent to the best of my ability.

Jim Smith in Boston, Massachusetts asks: In what ways did you contribute to special teams at SMU, and what special teamís roles do you see yourself contributing to as a member of the Steelers?
Emmanuel Sanders: I did the majority of things. I played gunner with the punt team, I did punt return, kick return. There is no limit. I will play anything with the Steelers, wherever they ask me. I played some defensive back and that taught me to be physically tough. I feel like I can play kickoff, punt return, kickoff return. I can play it all. If they need my help, I am there to fill the void.

Dana Lucas asks: Have you heard yet how passionate Steelers fans are about the team and are you looking forward to playing for a team with that kind of atmosphere?
Emmanuel Sanders: I definitely heard. The fans back up their team. Thatís what I like. I came from a school, SMU, where our fan base wasnít that huge. I am looking forward to it and running out of the tunnel and seeing all of those people waving the gold towels. It will give me goose bumps.

Christopher Baron in Barre, Vermont asks: Who did you consider your idol on the football field growing up?
Emmanuel Sanders: The last name is the same Ė Deion Sanders. I admired him. I idolized his shoes, clothes, everything. He is the one who inspired me to say I want to play in the NFL.

Greg Butler in Arizona asks: What was it like to see the six Super Bowl trophies for the first time?
Emmanuel Sanders: It was beautiful. I stood next to all six of them. I prayed to God right next to them and said please let me win two or three while I am here. Thatís everything I worked for. I hope I have the opportunity to hold one and I can say I helped win this.

JoAnne Murray in California asks: Did you dream about being a football player as a kid?
Emmanuel Sanders: I did. I was that little kid when I was six-years old who said I am going to play in the NFL one day and be on that TV. I went back home and thatís what they all said Ė they remembered me saying that I would play in the NFL. They said they were proud of me for following my dream. Itís a blessing. I have to give all of the glory to God

Jesse Hoss asks: Other than football, are there any other pro sports you follow and if so who are your favorite teams?
Emmanuel Sanders: I follow basketball. I follow the Cleveland Cavaliers. I like LeBron James. He is a passionate guy, a dynamic entertainer. I am not a huge baseball fan but I watch it when the playoffs come around.

Dan Morris in Rhode Island asks: What is your first impression of the City of Pittsburgh, which was just voted the most livable city in America?
Emmanuel Sanders: Pittsburgh is as beautiful city. I lived in Dallas the last four years and I tell everyone in Dallas that Pittsburgh blows it out of the water, especially at night when the lights are on and they reflect off the river. I am looking forward to being there. Itís one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen.
http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Ask-The-Steelers---Sanders-3/f6354c59-e5fa-47c6-9e9c-b03608052830

Cinnjerm
05-25-2010, 08:30 PM
This dude sounds like a winner. Hope his performance matches his lip service. :tt02:

stillers4me
05-25-2010, 09:55 PM
But what does he like on his pizza? :hunch:

Psyychoward86
05-25-2010, 10:07 PM
But what does he like on his pizza? :hunch:

lol i was wondering why they put up such an irrelevant question in Pouncey's thread