PDA

View Full Version : Steelers appear to have settled on Leftwich as Roethlisberger's replacement

mesaSteeler
05-25-2010, 10:14 PM
Steelers appear to have settled on Leftwich as Roethlisberger's replacement
http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5h29Y624KJ4mQfckqHLT1p_fublKQ
By Alan Robinson (CP) 3 hours ago

PITTSBURGH, Pa. The competition to temporarily replace Ben Roethlisberger as the Pittsburgh Steelers' quarterback is becoming a one-man race.

Byron Leftwich is handling nearly all of the first-team snaps in practice, a strong indicator he will be the starter while Roethlisberger serves his six-game suspension for violating the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin wants to go into training camp with what he calls a "pecking order" defined at quarterback. So far, that's Leftwich, followed by third-year QB Dennis Dixon and longtime backup Charlie Batch.

With the Steelers practising only three days a week though June 10, Tomlin seemingly would give far more work to Dixon or Batch if either figured to go into camp as the designated replacement.

Still, Dixon the least-experienced of the three isn't complaining.

"I have no idea," Dixon said Tuesday when asked if he can win the temporary starting job. "I've just got to continue to do what I do best and hopefully that's enough. Just go out there and get the trust of my teammates day in and day out."

While Leftwich is running mostly with the starters, Dixon said he's getting enough time with the top receivers to be comfortable.

"I feel like I'm getting better each and every day, which is a good thing for me," said Dixon, who has started only one NFL game. "Focus on the little things and big things will follow as far as the playbook goes. As of right now, I feel real good."

Tomlin doesn't want players arriving at training camp questioning who will be filling various roles, if only because it will be even more difficult then to get meaningful work for all four quarterbacks.

Leftwich will need considerable work with the regulars during camp because he'll likely be starting until October. However, Roethlisberger also needs time with the regulars because, once the season starts, he won't practise with them again until his suspension ends.

"But I can't be thinking about September in May," Leftwich said. "I've got to take this month to month, day by day, and make sure I'm continually getting better. I'm quite sure they'll do the right thing."

The Steelers apparently signalled their plans by trading a seventh-round pick to Tampa Bay for Leftwich within hours of Roethlisberger being suspended on April 21.

Leftwich, formerly with the Bucs, Jaguars and Falcons, was the backup when the Steelers won the Super Bowl during the 2008 season. He signed with Tampa Bay last year for the chance to start, but wound up playing only three games.

While Steelers offensive co-ordinator Bruce Arians tweaked the playbook some while Leftwich was gone, it apparently hasn't taken much time for Leftwich to get caught up.

"When you like something, you never forget it and I never forgot his offence," Leftwich said. "It changed some, but as a quarterback you're so used to things changing here and there, you can pick up on it. Especially when he makes it as easy as he makes it. There's always a rhyme or reason to what he does. I know the way he thinks."

The Steelers also understand how Leftwich thinks, one reason why they hurried to reacquire him once they knew for certain that Roethlisberger would miss the start of the season.

They liked how Leftwich ran the offence in practice and during the minimal playing time he got in 2008, and how he easily settled into their locker-room.

"I've got confidence in myself and I believe they have confidence in me," Leftwich said. "I'm not new around these guys."

Copyright 2010 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Psyychoward86
05-25-2010, 10:20 PM
He's got my vote of confidence

mesaSteeler
05-25-2010, 10:28 PM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/05/25/leftwich-still-working-with-first-team/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Leftwich still working with first team
May 25th, 2010

Dennis Dixon had an interesting take on the Steelers' so-called quarterback competition.

“Honestly I feel as if everything is pretty much equal as far as the quarterbacks,” Dixon said following practice Tuesday. “Everyone’s getting their share of reps and making the most of them.”

There is no question that Dixon, Byron Leftwich and Charlie Batch are getting plenty of work in their battle to replace Ben Roethlisberger for at least the first four games of the 2010 season.

But it is fair to wonder whether there really is a competition for the starting job.

Leftwich has gotten most of the work with the starters in the nine practices the Steelers have had since NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Roethlisberger for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

The Steelers only have eight practices left, and coach Mike Tomlin hasn’t given any indication as to when (or if) Dixon and Batch will get a chance to state their case for the starting job at quarterback.

What could further complicate matters for Dixon and Batch is how Tomlin divvies up the work when Roethlisberger returns to practice, which could happen next week.

The Steelers will have to get Roethlisberger some work with the starters, which could cut into opportunities for Dixon and Batch.

As for Leftwich if he has emerged as the frontrunner to replace Roethlisberger, he isn’t buying into the notion.

At least not publicly.

“I can’t be thinking of September here in May,” Leftwich said. “I’ve got to be thinking about this thing month to month, day to day and make sure I’m continuing to get better and working with the guys the right way to have the opportunity for us to even have those conversations.”

“I just try to come out here and make plays every single day. No let up, take this thing seriously and whatever happens, happens.”
Filed under: Steelers Comment (0)

Galax Steeler
05-26-2010, 03:30 AM
Tomlin hasn't came out and said it but from all of the articles is seems like Leftwich will be the man.

SteelerEmpire
05-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Saw an interview of Dennis Dixon (a pretty smart dude)... he seemed a little 'overly focused' on everything... that being said, Lefty must be doing real well in practice in order to be given the # 1 spot...

HometownGal
05-26-2010, 04:55 AM
Makes me a happy camper. :thumbsup:

Dixon has a good shot at being our QB of the future down the road and thus far, I like the patience he is showing and the hard work he seems to be putting forth. :drink:

solardave
05-26-2010, 05:48 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again. It doesn't matter whether it is Dixon , Leftwich,or Batch we need to run the ball effectively. If we do that we win. We have to get out on top and be able to close games out with a great ground game. The D will take care of itself.

scsteeler
05-26-2010, 08:32 AM
I said it before and I'll say it again. It doesn't matter whether it is Dixon , Leftwich,or Batch we need to run the ball effectively. If we do that we win. We have to get out on top and be able to close games out with a great ground game. The D will take care of itself.

You are correct on the point that we need an effective running game this year not matter which QB it is and that includes Big Ben.

Texasteel
05-26-2010, 08:45 AM
I am probably more comfortable with Lefty than Dixon right now, but I do think Dixon will be a very good QB in the future.

Edman
05-26-2010, 08:53 AM
It's the first four weeks of the season. The Steelers don't need Superstar play at QB. They just need a guy that will manage the game. Lefty has never failed for us when we called upon him. He don't need him to be Ben, and we better not try to use him as such.

Either way, we have to start running the ball now. Holmes is gone and Ben is going to be riding the pine for a month or so. We can't expect 2009 numbers from the passing game.

memphissteelergirl
05-26-2010, 09:02 AM
I am probably more comfortable with Lefty than Dixon right now, but I do think Dixon will be a very good QB in the future.

Agreed.

Prok
05-26-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm hoping Lefty gets the job as well.

I guess i'm not as high on Dixon as some of you. I don't think he'll be any better than a mid-level QB during his career. I think if he had "it" he would have shown it by now.

:noidea:

revefsreleets
05-26-2010, 02:04 PM
OK....but, shouldn't we wait until training camp, and, maybe even more importantly, preseason? Lefty has been out of the fold for awhile while Dixon and Batch haven't...this could just mean they want him caught up so there is a level playing field come camp.

wootawnee
05-26-2010, 10:46 PM
WHo is his agent?....

AndyWitmyer
05-27-2010, 12:03 AM
I just have a really good feeling about Leftwich starting. I liked the way he played when stepped in for Ben before. He was smart with the ball - dropped back and passed, fast and accurately. He knows how to get rid of the ball - and even though he's not exceptionally mobile, he's more than capable of carrying the ball himself if need be. So yeah, he's got my full support, definitely!

Dixon is showing a lot of class. And I hope he gets some play time now and then, too

"When you like something, you never forget it and I never forgot his offence," Leftwich said "It changed some, but as a quarterback you're so used to things changing here and there, you can pick up on it. Especially when he makes it as easy as he makes it. There's always a rhyme or reason to what he does. I know the way he thinks."

^ Come on, Lefty - why don't you tell us how you REALLY feel about ol' Brucey!??? :sofunny:

tony hipchest
05-27-2010, 12:20 AM
"When you like something, you never forget it and I never forgot his offence," Leftwich said. "It changed some, but as a quarterback you're so used to things changing here and there, you can pick up on it. Especially when he makes it as easy as he makes it. There's always a rhyme or reason to what he does. I know the way he thinks."

...so does a dung beetle. :hunch:

zulater
05-27-2010, 12:21 AM
My opinion of Dixon is that he'll be out of the NFL in two or three more years. Nothing personal, I just don't think he has what it takes to succeed on this level, and I think the Steelers are coming to doubt it as well.

siss
05-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Dear Byron Leftwich,
You are driving Ben's Mercedes', don't move the seat, or change the mirrors or the radio settings.
Love,
Jackie