PDA

View Full Version : What About Edge?

SteelCity65
02-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Why not, he wants to get out of Indy because he doesn't get many carries because they pass 90% of the time. The Steelers are a run oriented team and I think he would be a big upgrade to our offense because he can catch too. He is not selfish and he is a team player and does not cause trouble. They should cut duce and sign him.

BB2W
02-08-2006, 08:01 PM
The Steelers aren't gonna have any money to throw around in free-agency. They'll be lucky to sign their own.

tony hipchest
02-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Why not, he wants to get out of Indy because he doesn't get many carries because they pass 90% of the time. The Steelers are a run oriented team and I think he would be a big upgrade to our offense because he can catch too. He is not selfish and he is a team player and does not cause trouble. They should cut duce and sign him. HE WANTS 2x as much $$$$ as duce. i guess we could cut ben and ward to fit him under the cap. if not that, kiss polamalu goodbye. if edge would play for duce $$$ id be all for it, but theres not a chance in hell. edge would retire before he would play for duces money.

silver & black
02-08-2006, 08:07 PM
I heard a rumor that he is interested in going to the Jags.

TasmanianTroy271
02-08-2006, 08:08 PM
Yea, If we sign any FA's this year, it'll be somoene like Cedric was last year; No big names, maybe a teams 2nd or 3rd string that shows potential.

Atlanta Dan
02-08-2006, 08:36 PM
I heard a rumor that he is interested in going to the Jags.

His dream was to go to Miami after last season, but that didn't work. Hard to see a cash strapped team like the Jags finding the $$ he wants.

Atlanta Dan
02-08-2006, 08:39 PM
HE WANTS 2x as much $$$$ as duce. i guess we could cut ben and ward to fit him under the cap. if not that, kiss polamalu goodbye. if edge would play for duce $$$ id be all for it, but theres not a chance in hell. edge would retire before he would play for duces money.

Does Troy have 2 years left on his contract? I would like to see that get done this off-season.

My understanding is that big ticket signings for all teams are being tied up with the uncertainty over the collective bargaining agreement and consequent problems in amortizing signing bonuses for long periods of time.

Milkman
02-08-2006, 08:50 PM
I'm all for Edge coming over as long as it's not gonna cost too much money.

Stillers#1
02-08-2006, 09:11 PM
I dunno about edge. I think he is a good player and all, but I also think Willie is going to be able to get it done. He did have 1200 and some odd yards in his first season as a starter. Lets not look for things to complain about because he isn't Jerome. Willie will put on about 10-15 pounds in the offseason. Duce will be back, more than likely in a re-structured 1 year contract. If we cold somehow trade up quite a few places in the draft, I would love to see us get LenDale White, I think him and Willie would be a great 1 - 2 punch for years to come. I also think they would both be willing to take these roles. White could have transferred in college instead of share the light with Reggie Bush. We know Willie is just happy to be in the NFL (despite the fact that he is SEVERELY underrated).

Any thoughts on this?

jbattenhouse
02-09-2006, 08:21 AM
HE WANTS 2x as much $$$$ as duce. i guess we could cut ben and ward to fit him under the cap. if not that, kiss polamalu goodbye. if edge would play for duce $$$ id be all for it, but theres not a chance in hell. edge would retire before he would play for duces money.

Twice as much?! Are you nuts?! Edgerrin James and Shaun Alexander are both free agents this offseason and will want BIG money. Edge is probably looking for something closer to Marvin Harrison or Manning type money, with at least a $10M signing bonus if not 2x that. He is NOT coming to the Steelers. We will have enough problems cap wise keeping our FAs.

thumb 2 come
02-09-2006, 08:39 AM
I really don't think we can afford him.

Although I don't think we are in as much cap trouble as most would think

Right now I believe we are 4 mil over the cap.

8 mil of that is tied up in Hartings and I think he will restructure his deal to retire here in the burgh and go for another ring.

I think we will see some restucture on a few of the guys this year. We should be fine.
But I still think edge will cost way to much.

DIESELMAN
02-09-2006, 08:57 AM
I dunno about edge. I think he is a good player and all, but I also think Willie is going to be able to get it done. He did have 1200 and some odd yards in his first season as a starter. Lets not look for things to complain about because he isn't Jerome. Willie will put on about 10-15 pounds in the offseason. Duce will be back, more than likely in a re-structured 1 year contract. If we cold somehow trade up quite a few places in the draft, I would love to see us get LenDale White, I think him and Willie would be a great 1 - 2 punch for years to come. I also think they would both be willing to take these roles. White could have transferred in college instead of share the light with Reggie Bush. We know Willie is just happy to be in the NFL (despite the fact that he is SEVERELY underrated).

Any thoughts on this?

I agree.....Parker's got a year under his belt he'll be even better next year.....Deuce? I don't know whats up with him he needs to get better conditioned and get his knees stronger.....even if we don't trade up there will still be a few backs left we can grab that'll fit into our smashmouth running.....Big thing now is whats going to happen with the collective bargaining agreement....we'll just have to wait and see

tony hipchest
02-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Does Troy have 2 years left on his contract? I would like to see that get done this off-season.

My understanding is that big ticket signings for all teams are being tied up with the uncertainty over the collective bargaining agreement and consequent problems in amortizing signing bonuses for long periods of time.

yeah he has 2 years left. i think any big free agent signing would just put us in a horrible situation when players like troys and bens, and even willies contracts expire. there is a very smart reason the steelers didnt persue ty law last year even though many believed he would be an integral cog to winning a sb. also a good reason we didnt keep plexico or k. bell. not that they sucked, they were simply too expensive.

i guess with this labor agreement deal not getting done we could be on the verge of dan snyder amassing an 80's 49er style of team after next year.

silver & black
02-09-2006, 09:34 AM
His dream was to go to Miami after last season, but that didn't work. Hard to see a cash strapped team like the Jags finding the $$ he wants.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. He would be a good fit there, but I don't see it happening.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-09-2006, 09:42 AM
too much money
but would love to have him

TheWarDen86
02-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Need a Steeler type back. Duce is it if he can stay healthy. I know you guys will think I'm nuts, but Stephen Davis would fit the mold for a year or two or three (again, health would be an issue). He's a tough runner.., Like Jamal Lewis w/o the criminal history.
My bet though will be Duce at 100%, Fast Willie and hopefully we can retain Verron.

WeNowHave5
02-09-2006, 10:03 AM
The Steelers aren't gonna have any money to throw around in free-agency. They'll be lucky to sign their own.

Even with losing the bus they are already over the cap.

emp
02-09-2006, 03:37 PM
I think it's much better to get lineman and go cheap on the running backs.

Maybe get Quincy Wilson off Cincy's practice squad. And Parker could improve as he hasn't had much experience. Anyway if Staley's healthy he can go almost as well as Alexander or Edge. Also our third down back is pretty good. I really like Stephen Davis too if he is cheap.

Parker though is seriously underrated and still could improve a lot. He could learn to spin out of tackles, when to just dive forward, etc. But you can't teach that kind of speed. He might be the fastest running back in the league.

There's plenty of other guys out there though that can get it done behind a good line. Look at the Packers with Samkon Gado. He barely got on the field in college either. There's lots of guys out there at running back who would play really cheap. Spend the money on lineman/defense.

Suitanim
02-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Edge? Nah. As things stand now, if the Colts and Squaks can't pony up enough money to keep their backs, I'm struggling to think who else in the league will. The contracts these guys want will be too big for road worn backs who aren't getting any younger.

I think we try and squeeze a decent year out of Duce as a situational back and let Willie play.

OX1947
02-09-2006, 04:05 PM
Man, I was watching the Steeler History DVD. As most you have it know, there is a segment on Jerome Bettis from the beginning of his career up until last year. Man, there are clips on there where he just murders guys that try and tackle him, its almost comedy like how pro football players look like dummy bags when getting in his way. I just dont see anyone in the league right now that can give us that. Hell, a 33 year old bettis was still running over the Urlachers of the world this year and getting 100 yards on the DPOY and the #1 defense. I think the only guy I have seen who is big, has good feet, is lendale White. Anyone else, I just dont see. And guys like Edge and Alexander are going to want big money.

Dook
02-09-2006, 05:57 PM
Duce costs us $1.8 to keep next year and $1.1 to cut. Not much difference.

Edge is going to want really big money but I'm not sure it's out there. Teams are going to address their RB needs in the draft and pay $1-$2m a year instead of the $3.5m that Edge probably wants.

It's possible that we could go for broke and get Edge for a one year contract at $3.5m but that would mean not keeping Haynes, restructuring 3 players contracts, and probably not signing all of our draft picks. I wouldn't do it though.

We can pick up a good prospect in the 1st or 2nd round.

OX1947
02-09-2006, 06:54 PM
No way in HIZNELL that edge will take 3.5 mil anywhere. he would retire if that was the case. he is looking at 6 to 8 mil a year with a huge signing bonus.

Haiku_Dirtt
02-10-2006, 02:46 AM
Why not, he wants to get out of Indy because he doesn't get many carries because they pass 90% of the time. The Steelers are a run oriented team and I think he would be a big upgrade to our offense because he can catch too. He is not selfish and he is a team player and does not cause trouble. They should cut duce and sign him.

Move up the board. The future power runner - the epitome of a black and gold tailback - is there and not someones ex-wife or ex-girlfriend. This is someone who is a special player. Well coached. He has proven that he respects tradition and understands the team concept even when it means diminished limelight and exposure. A player that could have gone 'T.O.' but chose to practice and play AND DELIVER when his number is called.

He could have had over 2000 yards if he played anywhere but USC and easily. I watched every snap.

Number 21 out of USC. If I could have ANY player and I mean ANY player in this draft (as a Steeler), then I would look no further than LenDale White. Is a bonafide starting tailback worth draft picks this year and next? Yeah.

Zez
02-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Forget about Edge and Alexander...too much money.

We need to keep Randle El and Verron Haynes IMO. Also restucturing Duce's contract, and hope he stays healthy. If we lose Randle El, then forget about trading up to get a RB. We will need to get a new WR. I like Sinorice Moss if we lose Antwann. He is the same type of WR, but no QB skills..LOL. He is an excellent punt returner and would be a great compliment to Ward.

We also need to look at Polamolu's contract as well. I am not sure when its up, but we need to think about it now. We need him to be a Steeler for life.

83-Steelers-43
02-10-2006, 09:14 AM
I'm with a few others on this topic. We need to address our own needs before we can go out and look at other players on the FA market. Edge and Alexander in particular are out of the question in my opinion.

Livinginthe past
02-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Move up the board. The future power runner - the epitome of a black and gold tailback - is there and not someones ex-wife or ex-girlfriend. This is someone who is a special player. Well coached. He has proven that he respects tradition and understands the team concept even when it means diminished limelight and exposure. A player that could have gone 'T.O.' but chose to practice and play AND DELIVER when his number is called.

He could have had over 2000 yards if he played anywhere but USC and easily. I watched every snap.

Number 21 out of USC. If I could have ANY player and I mean ANY player in this draft (as a Steeler), then I would look no further than LenDale White. Is a bonafide starting tailback worth draft picks this year and next? Yeah.

Lets say LenDale is still on the board at 21 - the Patriots pick.

What sort of deal would you offer to swap 1st rounders?

NM

mdhus
02-10-2006, 01:27 PM
Edge? Out of the question...too high and pittsburgh does better with players they draft. They better look for a back-up to parker in the draft this year. Plus There is nothing wrong with staley.

siko

MNsteelers
02-10-2006, 03:22 PM
There is NO chance of the following:
1. Signing Edgerrin James. Like any other fan of the NFL (except Peyton Manning) I love what Edge brings to the table, but the understatement of the year is how we need to take care of our own. We never sign big free agents like this and even if we did, I don't see any way in the world we could even discuss how this would be possible considering how cap-strapped we are.

2. Trading up in an effort to draft LenDale White. This goes along with that I just wrote. They will lose a decent amount of players and are going to need every last draft pick to fill holes offensively, defensively and special teams. Trading up is NOT an option, and if Pittsburgh wasn't in a very unenviable draft spot (32 means you won the Super Bowl, but no one wants to trade up for the 32nd pick), I would think trading down for picks would be a good idea.

Either way Pittsburgh never does either of these things, with the recent exception of trading up for Troy and signing Duce to a bit larger FA contract than usual.

I think the priority is signing Chris Hope to an extension, all the while with Troy's extension (he still has two years left, Hope is a UFA) waiting in the wings.

Pittsburgh signed Cedrick Wilson to a four-year contract because they knew they were going to lose Randle-El. Because of that, they can justify spending around $3M over three years on Quincy Morgan. I really like Jason Avant from Michigan in the third round to compete for the 4 WR spot with Nate Washington. I love Kimo, but he'll go and they'll use that to justify signing Brett Keisel to a 3-year deal and probably pick up two 3-4-type DEs in this draft (which, sadly, there are few). Pittsburgh isn't going to be able to keep both special teams studs Sean Morey and Clint Kriewaldt, and I think Morey will be the one to go.

drizze99
02-10-2006, 03:46 PM
OK, I agreed with everything you said until you called Morey a stud. IMO, he sucks. Signing Clint is a definite.

43Hitman
02-10-2006, 03:48 PM

NM

Nice question! I don't think he will be there at 21.. But if he is I would offer this year's second round pick and next years 3 round pick..

Haiku_Dirtt
02-10-2006, 04:00 PM

NM

I'd move up further and try to find an NFC team somewhere around 9-11. No way would I trade with the Pats.

I'd use this years and next years 1st.

I'm worried he may go to Baltimore. Carson Palmer and LenDale in the same division would truly make me sick to my stomach.

Atlanta Dan
02-10-2006, 04:17 PM
FYI is a link to a CBS.sportsline column on FAs by position. Chris Hope probably is gone but he may be facing (at a lower pay grade) the same problem Edge faces with a lot of FA talent at his position. On the other hand, WR FAs are not that plentiful,which only increases Randle-El's prospects.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9219698

Steelers know they have 2 franchise players coming up for renegotiation (Troy has 2 years to go & Ben may presumably do a Carson Palmer deal and sign up to be a Steeler for life well before his 6 year contract is up) and need to allocate necessary resources accordingly.

My hope is they can re-sign Verron Haynes for a reasonable price, in which case Duce goes and they draft a RB in 1 of the first 3 rounds.

TexaSteeler
02-10-2006, 05:09 PM
FYI is a link to a CBS.sportsline column on FAs by position. Chris Hope probably is gone but he may be facing (at a lower pay grade) the same problem Edge faces with a lot of FA talent at his position. On the other hand, WR FAs are not that plentiful,which only increases Randle-El's prospects.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/9219698

Steelers know they have 2 franchise players coming up for renegotiation (Troy has 2 years to go & Ben may presumably do a Carson Palmer deal and sign up to be a Steeler for life well before his 6 year contract is up) and need to allocate necessary resources accordingly.

My hope is they can re-sign Verron Haynes for a reasonable price, in which case Duce goes and they draft a RB in 1 of the first 3 rounds.

Isn't Dueces $$ against the cap whether he's here or not?

MNsteelers
02-10-2006, 05:35 PM
OK, I agreed with everything you said until you called Morey a stud. IMO, he sucks. Signing Clint is a definite.

Morey's a great special teams player!

rgleason
02-10-2006, 06:24 PM
We're fine at RB and dont need to make any big moves, the biggest question mark being if Duce can come back and be reliable and effective like he was the first half of last season.

The Steelers will not make any huge moves this offseason because (a) they dont have the money (b) dont need to. Please, no more talk about Edge or Lendale White, neither are remotely realistic options. I'm interested to see who the Steelers get to add depth at the backfield, but I wouldnt bet on them taking a RB in the first two rounds. Although, they could have somebody ranked really high on their board who falls, crazier things have happened.

But as someone said earlier, we got some guy's contracts coming up evenutally, and making Troy and Ben Steelers for life is essential. I think Willie will prove to be a keeper and we will evetually give him the money he will deserve.

Need4spd
02-10-2006, 07:26 PM
What are everyone's thoughts on Priest Holmes? What exactly is his situation in KC like at this point? I'm not necessarily suggesting this as a serious consideration, but at his best, when healthy, and the key word being when in this sentence, he was a great running back in this league. I know that Larry Johnson has been all but named the starter for that team, so where exactly does that leave Priest. And further more, what is the latest on the status of his health?

Suitanim
02-10-2006, 07:39 PM
I don't know, but it's an interesting question. Last I heard it was being recomended that he hang up the cleats...