PDA

View Full Version : Mendenhall endorses use of a fullback

mesaSteeler
05-26-2010, 10:36 PM
View From The Press Box
http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-the-press-box/2010/05/26/mendenhall-endorses-use-of-a-fullback/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+triblive%2Fblog%2FViewFromThe PressBox+%28View+from+the+Press+Box+Blog%29

Mendenhall endorses use of a fullback
May 26th, 2010

Rashard Mendenhall did anything but lobby for a fullback Wednesday after practice.

But the soft-spoken Steelers' running back said he prefers to have a fullback as a lead blocker instead of a tight end.

His comments were not a knock on Heath Miller, Matt Spaeth, Sean McHugh and David Johnson, all tight ends who line up in the backfield from time to time in Bruce Arians’ offense.

They did shed some light on why running backs generally prefer fullbacks to lead the way for them.

“A fullback in the backfield he can probably see a lot of things a tight end couldn’t,” said Mendenhall, who rushed for 1,108 yards and seven touchdowns in 2009, his second season in the NFL. “(Fullbacks) being ballcarriers they know what you’re trying to do, they know where you’re trying to go and they can get there before you so a lot of times the fullback will end up at the same place after reading a play.”

Such a statement makes Frank “The Tank” Summers an intriguing player to watch.

Back problems ended Summers’ rookie season before it started in 2009 – he was placed on injured reserve following surgery last September – but he fits the mold of the kind of player Mendenhall would like blocking for him.

Summers was a feature back at UNLV, and he would probably be on the same wavelength as Mendenhall more often than not. At 5-10, 230 pounds he is the closest thing the Steelers have to a traditional fullback on their roster though he may be a bit undersized for the position.

If he can prove to the coaches that he can block like one it might persuade Arians to use the fullback more in the offense.

Something to think about if nothing else.

“Frank’s starting to pick up on things and things are becoming more natural for him,” Mendenhall said. “He played a lot of running back so he can see and feel those things out.”

Does that mean Mendenhall is pushing for Summers to serve as his lead blocker in the fall?

“Not at all,” the 2008 first-round draft pick said. “I’m just out here doing what I’d asked.”

(Sacrilege! Cut Mendenhall at once! How dare he question the wisdom of Air Head Arians and his pass happy cult? - mesa)

Psyychoward86
05-26-2010, 10:40 PM
Start a petition!

tony hipchest
05-26-2010, 10:48 PM
mike tomlin has chimed in....

"i dont walk by 6 rushing title trophies on my way to the office every day. what i do walk by is 6 tight ends".

:hunch:

wonder what that means? :huh:

bmickman47
05-26-2010, 11:27 PM
Yeah, but with Ben gone 4 to 6 games we will need to rely on the run game more often, and if a full back will help us win those early games, I say go for it....

I also think Frank "the tank" may be our best option currently IMO

Edman
05-27-2010, 12:37 AM
"There's no Fullback in my offense."

Galax Steeler
05-27-2010, 03:28 AM
I say give Mendenhall what he wants if he wants a fullback then give it to him. We might have a 2,000 yard rusher on the Steelers this year.

pete74
05-27-2010, 04:37 AM
i think mendenhall will his the 1500+ mark this season either way but a fullback would be nice.

stillers4me
05-27-2010, 05:23 AM
Mendenhall obviously has been doing the "wake and bake". Everybody knows that it is now a passing league and Ariens don't need no stinkin' fullback. The Bengals did not win the division by mimicking the Steelers run game of old. It was all Carson Palmer's elite arm and the rest of his high octane offense that won those games.

I repeat, Ariens don't need no stinkin fullback, especially during a blizzard in an open stadium during the superbowl. Have I made myself perfectly clear???? There will be no fullback.

solardave
05-27-2010, 07:03 AM
"There's no Fullback in my offense."

And Mr.Rooney said "you sure it's your offense BOY!!!" I sign your damn check (or something like that):sofunny:

kirklandrules
05-27-2010, 12:55 PM
As I've said before, the H-Back is a failure in the running game. In order to get 2 or 1 yard in the NFL, you need a dedicated blocker (FB). Sorry BA, but that's the truth. Interestingly enough, the Steelers had the fewest rushing yards in the AFC North by quite a bit (almost 250 yards). That's a lot of 2nd and 2 or 3rd and 1 or goalines not getting converted and drives stalling (fieldgoals instead of 6).

Here's another thought: Name our starting H-back. Can't name who our H-back is? That's because these guys are spending more time getting injured than actually playing games. So MT is right ... we have to carry 6 TEs just so half can play musical injury chairs at H-Back. It'd be much more efficient to carry 4 TEs and 1 FB than 6 TEs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-BA. He's done a great job making our passing game a success. However, a successful passing game and a failing running game creates a mediocre offense ... and that's what we saw last year. Time for Bruce to ditch his pride and learn how to create a running game.

XxKnightxX
05-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Mendenhall obviously has been doing the "wake and bake". Everybody knows that it is now a passing league and Ariens don't need no stinkin' fullback. The Bengals did not win the division by mimicking the Steelers run game of old. It was all Carson Palmer's elite arm and the rest of his high octane offense that won those games.
I repeat, Ariens don't need no stinkin fullback, especially during a blizzard in an open stadium during the superbowl. Have I made myself perfectly clear???? There will be no fullback.

Yeah elite offense led by Carson Palmer that got anhilated by the jets 38 year old fullback and 6 mammoth offensive lineman in January. I seriously hope there was some sarcasm there. Sure Palmer doesnt play defense but you tell me how much possesion time they had to even get in a groove. Thats the problem, when you rely on the pass, you rely on timing, and timing turns into tendencies, Defenses will pick up on that and stop it. The running game therefore relies on instinct and guts and pride in taking a shot. By adding a fullbuack, LBs have to deal with a Back running full speed who has nothing but the intentions of knocking the snot out of their nose. Its harder to deal with a fullback than to deal with a TE on the line of scrimmage. And by crowding the backfield, the Defense will crowd the box and oh em gee what do you have, open room to work with in the second and third levels.

I think the fact that Ben is suspended is a blessing in disguise because BA is gonna be under the scope for the first 10 weeks, including preseason. Will his stubborness and arrogance get the best of him? Will his damn pathetic running philosophy be sold into the players and be able to execute? or will he end up on the unemployment line upon another pathetic running season.

I dont care if we run the ball 40 or 30% of the time, but what we need is that when we run the ball, that it counts on the YPC and on the 3rd down conversion, as well as in TOP stats. Just like Snow Cones, not the taste just the consistency.

stillers4me
05-27-2010, 03:40 PM
My whole post was sarcasm.