PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Is Mewelde Moore a Lock for the 53 man roster?

Steely McSmash
05-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Assuming there are no camp injuries, do you think Moore makes the roster?

Steely McSmash
05-27-2010, 11:51 AM
IMO he should have a tough fight to make the team but Tomlin seems to trust him in clutch situations so I think he makes it.

Personally , I think his historic value was being able to catch the ball when Mendy was injured and Parker was the feature. Mendenhall can catch as well IMO and I think some of the others can as well.

Last season Mendenhall stayed in there on 3rd down, which was Moore's primary role previously.

Competition is for 3 backup RB spots as I see it assuming we carry 1 FB / emergency RB

Tank Summers: From film we know he can catch. Didn't come out of the gate strong last year. Should be able to block. Might be that FB player. ST play to be determined.

Vincent: Last hurrah for nothing special. Poor skill level. Good blocking size.

Redman: Could contend with a year of pro level conditioning. Not so speedy and not sure on his hands. I would expect he'd be a good blocker. ST play to be determined. No big plays...other than short yardage touchdowns.

Dwyer: All reports positive to this point. Could be a total package. Has the speed. Should have the Size to be a good blocker. ST play to be determined.

Logan: Faster and more skilled than Moore. Presumably less effective up the middle. Presumably not a great blocker although with his agility he could be in good position to block. ST contriubutor in all phases. Huge big play ability. Can play WR in a pinch.

Moore: Average speed and toughness- no big play ability. Good hands. Good utility player. Can play ST and serve as a returner.

I'd love to see the team take some risks and cut Moore loose.

Starter: Mendenhall
Backup: Dywer
Short Yardage: Redman
Special pkg / long 3rd / KR: Logan

FB: Winner between Taylor, Summers, Mchugh, Johnson. (Maybe one of the H-back guys gets turned into a FB full-time)

stlrtruck
05-27-2010, 12:02 PM
I believe him to a sure thing. He's been reliable and a great back out of the backfield when we need that swing pass, or a screen, or some other service.

vasteeler
05-27-2010, 01:54 PM
I believe him to a sure thing. He's been reliable and a great back out of the backfield when we need that swing pass, or a screen, or some other service.

i didnt think we knew how to do those:noidea:

TheWarDen86
05-27-2010, 01:56 PM
Mewelde Moore is a fantastic 3rd down back and can handle a few extra carries per game. He single handedly got us going in the first baltimore game back in 2008. I feel lucky to have him.

wootawnee
05-27-2010, 02:15 PM
Lock....Unless he gets injured........Ben loves him.......Tomlin loves him.....He is very good for the team.....

TheWarDen86
05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
IMO he should have a tough fight to make the team but Tomlin seems to trust him in clutch situations so I think he makes it.

Personally , I think his historic value was being able to catch the ball when Mendy was injured and Parker was the feature. Mendenhall can catch as well IMO and I think some of the others can as well.

Last season Mendenhall stayed in there on 3rd down, which was Moore's primary role previously.

Competition is for 3 backup RB spots as I see it assuming we carry 1 FB / emergency RB

Tank Summers: From film we know he can catch. Didn't come out of the gate strong last year. Should be able to block. Might be that FB player. ST play to be determined.

Vincent: Last hurrah for nothing special. Poor skill level. Good blocking size.

Redman: Could contend with a year of pro level conditioning. Not so speedy and not sure on his hands. I would expect he'd be a good blocker. ST play to be determined. No big plays...other than short yardage touchdowns.

Dwyer: All reports positive to this point. Could be a total package. Has the speed. Should have the Size to be a good blocker. ST play to be determined.

Logan: Faster and more skilled than Moore. Presumably less effective up the middle. Presumably not a great blocker although with his agility he could be in good position to block. ST contriubutor in all phases. Huge big play ability. Can play WR in a pinch.

Moore: Average speed and toughness- no big play ability. Good hands. Good utility player. Can play ST and serve as a returner.

I'd love to see the team take some risks and cut Moore loose.

Starter: Mendenhall
Backup: Dywer
Short Yardage: Redman
Special pkg / long 3rd / KR: Logan

FB: Winner between Taylor, Summers, Mchugh, Johnson. (Maybe one of the H-back guys gets turned into a FB full-time)

Unless I'm mistaken, Logan (IF he makes the roster) makes the roster as a WR/KR.

I'll bet anyone here M. Moore is on the active roster week 1.

SteelGhost
05-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Hey Steely, nice poll :thumbsup:

IMHO Mewelde will make the 53 roster, he is reliable and Tomlin likes him. Glad to know there will be a nice competition for # 3 spot .... and .... who knows, maybe a FB if they really decide to have one :chuckle:

fansince'76
05-27-2010, 02:30 PM
Of course! He's the best RB on our roster! - UFN

:chuckle:

Indo
05-27-2010, 02:50 PM

TULANE HATER! How DARE you denigrate my med school Alma Mater!
And you call yourself an Administrator!

(Beat me to it!)

stlrtruck
05-27-2010, 02:52 PM
i didnt think we knew how to do those:noidea:

They were few and far in between last year and if you blinked or took a drink of your beverage of choice, you probably missed it.

Steelers>NFL
05-27-2010, 03:09 PM
Mewelde Moore is a fantastic 3rd down back and can handle a few extra carries per game. He single handedly got us going in the first baltimore game back in 2008. I feel lucky to have him.

He is to the Steelers what Keith Byars was to Parcell (wherever he coached)
and what Kevin Faulk is to the Patriots.
Almost an automatic first down everytime.

BlastFurnace
05-27-2010, 03:10 PM

Whatever happened to UFN?

fansince'76
05-27-2010, 03:16 PM
Whatever happened to UFN?

Somewhere trying to live this little gem down, I would imagine.

It only took me about 5 carries to see that Mendenhall has no vision and doesn't like getting hit. So it's my PREDICTION that Mendenhall is a bust.

I would LOVE to know how he feels about Parker being with the Redskins now, though, since the half of his posts that weren't dedicated to his weird man crush on MeMo were dedicated to bashing the hell out of Parker.

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

LVSteelersfan
05-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Moore not a big play guy? Are you kidding? Did you even watch him play two years ago when he kept busting off those big runs on third down? He is a big play guy that is not getting enough playing time. He should have been playing instead of Willie Parker as the second back last year IMHO. He will make this team. Dwyer won't be ready yet. Redman is a training camp wonder, nothing else. Vincent is not good enough to even make the Clowns or Lions rosters.

Steely McSmash
05-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Moore not a big play guy? Are you kidding?

Dwyer won't be ready yet. Redman is a training camp wonder, nothing else. Vincent is not good enough to even make the Clowns or Lions rosters.

I kid you not. I think we just disagree on pretty much everything in the topic except Justin Vincent.

:rofl::drink:

By big play I mean a lot of yards or a score. He's done well on third down and I'm grateful that he was able to carry the load in 2008. He really hasn't been one to bust the big play, particularly last year.

To me, his hands are what made him anything beyond ordinary. I think we have much better hands on the RB sqad now as compared to 2008 when we picked him up. I think he'll make the roster as the safe move, just not convinced it's the best move to really get the run game going. Also I know that the team isn't evaluating him based on what he did for us in the past. He needs to fit now.

Steely McSmash
05-28-2010, 12:26 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, Logan (IF he makes the roster) makes the roster as a WR/KR.

Word on the street is that we'll see Logan as a RB this pre-season.

Dino 6 Rings
05-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Somewhere trying to live this little gem down, I would imagine.

I would LOVE to know how he feels about Parker being with the Redskins now, though, since the half of his posts that weren't dedicated to his weird man crush on MeMo were dedicated to bashing the hell out of Parker.

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

Holy crap that's right, UFN was a Skins fan and hated Parker in support of Moore being the starter for the Steelers.

Oh man, I'm gonna have to find him on a redskins site and see what's he's saying these days.

AllD
05-28-2010, 04:28 PM
I would keep Moore over Logan all day long.

Psyychoward86
05-28-2010, 05:39 PM

A report on steelers.com a while back said Logan was working with the runningbacks.

I think Moore is a lock to make the roster at this point.

I think our RB line up will look like this:

1) Rashard Mendenhall
2) Mewelde Moore
3) Johnathan Dwyer

We havent seen jack out of Dwyer yet, but i think he'll move into the #2 RB spot sometime early in the season. If he doesnt, i expect him to nab it handily next year, even if we resign Moore.

theplatypus
05-28-2010, 06:30 PM
I have a feeling that no one is safe.

Psyychoward86
05-28-2010, 07:44 PM
I have a feeling that no one is safe.

Mendenhall + Dwyer = obvious cuts

UltimateFootballNetwork
06-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Hi to all my friends at Steeler Fever!

I actually came here to share the latest on Willie Parker and found this thread. Some things never change. :noidea:

Yes, Moore is obviously a lock and the locker room and front office continue to think much higher of Moore than most here.

Word out of Redskins camp is that Willie Parker looks bad and may not make the team or stay in the league.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/06/02/willie-parker-off-to-slow-start-with-redskins/

Mendenhall really surprised. Can't remember the last time I saw an NFL player have the light go on" that dramatically but he's definitely running like a different player. He's still not a "complete" player but his talent is considerable and certainly makes him a weapon.

Curious to hear how Dwyer is doing in camp. Curious to see how he progresses because he's got some talent and will have to see the field at some point in the regular season. Also glad to see Leftwich get another shot to start some games. He's gotten a raw deal in the NFL.

Aussie_steeler
06-19-2010, 05:07 AM
I'm a chimp now. Continuing to attack the messenger when you can't attack the message...

It only took me about 5 carries to see that Mendenhall has no vision and doesn't like getting hit. So it's my PREDICTION that Mendenhall is a bust. I don't know for a FACT that Mendenhall is a bust, but I believe strongly enough that he is to state my opinion.
That's different than arguing against fact. What DID happen over the course of a season, which you seem to seem to have a problem with accepting.

But no I don't and can't KNOW that Mendenhall is a bust, that's just my opinion. So let's be clear, since you seem unaware of the difference.

edit- and at 3.1 yds per rush on the preseason, what a stretch, huh? And no way you can blame it on the OL, cause he had a handful of runs where the OL gave him enormous holes...

Remember this famous line.

So now it is ............Mendenhall really surprised.

Light goes on.

He is not a complete player but his talent is considerable

TIme has passed, steelers fever has gone into meltdown and you are still Uncle fcuk knuckle the redskins troll and memo knob jockey. Keep riding hard and hope you enjoy the saddle soreness.

pete74
06-19-2010, 05:45 AM
Personally I would like to see mendenhall, dwyer and redman

markymarc
06-26-2010, 12:02 PM
I only think Moore is a lock because he is a Tomlin favorite and his ability to block on 3rd downs. Although I do see Isaac Redman pushing Moore in training camp.

UltimateFootballNetwork
07-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Remember this famous line.

So now it is ............Mendenhall really surprised.

Light goes on.

He is not a complete player but his talent is considerable

TIme has passed, steelers fever has gone into meltdown and you are still Uncle fcuk knuckle the redskins troll and memo knob jockey. Keep riding hard and hope you enjoy the saddle soreness. Ahhhhh. That's why I love coming here, knowledgable, classy discourse about NFL football.

I don't remember that "famous line", but I do remember being surprised by whatever lightbulb went on in Rashard Mendenhall's head. I also can't remember being more wrong about an NFL player and Mendenhall has certainly opened my eyes.

But I find it plenty amusing that you found that "famous line" since I rarely, if ever, mentioned Mendenhall (I thought he was that big of a bust). Rather, I'm despised around here because I dared suggest that folk-hero Willie Parker was washed up (and that the offense would benefit from more Moore), so you must have spent alot of time going through my old posts to find one on Mendenhall.

How'd that turn out anyway, now that Willie Parker is thiiiiiiiiiisclose to being out of the NFL for good?

Tough break with Colon.

Busforever
07-06-2010, 07:05 PM
I think we should keep Moore, because he is the only seasonned veteran in the group. We need a "know what you get" man among those young fellas. Plus he is a proven 3rd down back

55BaileyFan
07-08-2010, 06:06 PM
I know people are really banking on Redman or Dwyer...but you shouldn't. I think there is a reason Dwyer fell from the first round to the sixth. He is a good solid back, who can add a spark...

mikegrimey
07-08-2010, 11:47 PM
I see Mewelde in the lineup on starting day. Although I know they WANT for Mendenhall to be their 3rd down back. He does have potential as a receiver, but Moore has been excellent in that role the past two years.

steelerdave1969
07-09-2010, 06:13 PM
I didnt get to vote, but my bet is he Will be on the team this year. I like the guy myself IF he could just protect the QB on passing downs