PDA

View Full Version : Seattle: no margin for error

hardwork
02-08-2006, 09:45 PM
The Seahawks had to play a perfect game. They had no room for error. They couldn't accomplish that. Pittsburgh's defense was too good for them.

The Steeler's had enough so that they didn't have to play a perfect game. Even if every call in the game that the Seahawks felt was unfair had gone against the Steelers, the Steelers still would have won.

Face it Hawk fans, you aren't good enough yet.

theSteeler
02-08-2006, 09:48 PM
As the Bungles, Colts, and Broncos found out...we were simply better.

And we were better sunday, too.

Let them envy the Steelers...

AustinSeahawk
02-08-2006, 09:54 PM
Hardwork,

I'll respectfully disagree just for fun! :cool:

To say we weren't good enough to win is wrong for several reasons. First of all, if statistics mean anything, we won in almost every category. We had the better QB rating, offensive yards, fewer turnovers, and time of possession. I believe the only area we didn't beat you in was rushing yards, which we lost narrowly when Parker ran for 75 on one play.

Secondly, we had several opportunities to either take the lead or extend the lead. Unfortunately for us, some of those opportunities were squandered by penalties that the majority of the country felt were unnecessary or just plain wrong (and even honest Steeler fans should acknowledge that some of the calls were iffy).

Finally, we were able to sustain drives on a continual basis, despite the point production. We had many more first downs than the Steelers, and a higher 3rd down completion percentage. The Steelers were inconsistent on offense, and took advantage of three very large plays for their scores, rather than long, sustained drives.

Now, I'm not saying that the Steelers weren't good enough to win, or even that they didn't deserve to win. I'm just defending my team by pointing out that we most definitely were good enough to win. That's why the game was so close. It was much closer than the 11 points you won by, and frankly I think the Steelers should be relieved that they won.

I'm happy for you guys, but I wouldn't brag TOO much about how badly you beat us. Fair's fair. Enjoy your trophy and prepare for next season, cuz we plan on meeting you in Miami!

:boxing:

GoStillersGo
02-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Hardwork,

To say we weren't good enough to win is wrong for several reasons. First of all, if statistics mean anything, we won in almost every category. We had the better QB rating, offensive yards, fewer turnovers, and time of possession. I believe the only area we didn't beat you in was rushing yards, which we lost narrowly when Parker ran for 75 on one play.

Secondly, we had several opportunities to either take the lead or extend the lead. Unfortunately for us, some of those opportunities were squandered by penalties that the majority of the country felt were unnecessary or just plain wrong (and even honest Steeler fans should acknowledge that some of the calls were iffy).

Finally, we were able to sustain drives on a continual basis, despite the point production. We had many more first downs than the Steelers, and a higher 3rd down completion percentage. The Steelers were inconsistent on offense, and took advantage of three very large plays for their scores, rather than long, sustained drives.

Now, I'm not saying that the Steelers weren't good enough to win, or even that they didn't deserve to win. I'm just defending my team by pointing out that we most definitely were good enough to win. That's why the game was so close. It was much closer than the 11 points you won by, and frankly I think the Steelers should be relieved that they won.

I'm happy for you guys, but I wouldn't brag TOO much about how badly you beat us. Fair's fair. Enjoy your trophy and prepare for next season, cuz we plan on meeting you in Miami!

I agree with you. The Seahawks are a decent team. In fact, I think they are one of the top echelon teams in the NFL -- probably the only one in the NFC. On any given Sunday, they, the Steelers, the Colts or Bengals could win.

Everything fell our way on Sunday. I don't believe either team played well to tell you the truth. But the Steelers made the big plays that mattered down the stretch and that's what won it.

hardwork
02-08-2006, 10:14 PM
Hardwork,

First of all, AustinSeahawk, I'm not a Steelers fan. I'm a Patriots fan. Secondly, forget the stats. You have to put the pigskin in the end zone. You can have control of it all day but if you don't score with it that means nothing.

The Steelers let you have the underneath patterns then they came up and smacked your receivers. You couldn't go vertical on them. When you tried you threw the ball out of bounds. Further, your team just isn't a seasoned team. They don't have what it takes, for whatever reason, to look down the barrel of a gun and keep right on going.

AustinSeahawk
02-08-2006, 10:31 PM
First of all, AustinSeahawk, I'm not a Steelers fan. I'm a Patriots fan. Secondly, forget the stats. You have to put the pigskin in the end zone. You can have control of it all day but if you don't score with it that means nothing.

The Steelers let you have the underneath patterns then they came up and smacked your receivers. You couldn't go vertical on them. When you tried you threw the ball out of bounds. Further, your team just isn't a seasoned team. They don't have what it takes, for whatever reason, to look down the barrel of a gun and keep right on going.

Well forgive me for thinking you were a Steelers fan. Perhaps it was your post count of over 500 in this forum, or maybe the way you seemed to be beating your chest with black and gold pride.

In any event, we did put the "pigskin in the end zone". And then the ref took it away. Later we put it on the 1 yard line, and the ref took it away. Big Ben didn't put it in the end zone, but the ref was all too happy to signal touchdown once Ben placed it across the line.

Our QB threw for nearly 300 yards on the Steelers, and Alexander gained 95 yards on the new Steel Curtain. We won more games this year than any team in the NFL (15), easily clinching the NFC crown, and darn near beat the Steelers, and you say we aren't a seasoned team? Hmmm...

tony hipchest
02-08-2006, 10:41 PM
[QUOTE=AustinSeahawk]Well forgive me for thinking you were a Steelers fan. Perhaps it was your post count of over 500 in this forum, or maybe the way you seemed to be beating your chest with black and gold pride.

[QUOTE]:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

as far as bens td goes maybe they should change the rule to CROSSING that 6" wide white line at the endzone rather than just touching it. being that the nfl doesnt have lasers set up to measure it down to the nanometer we will just have to go with the refs eye and instant replay.

hardwork
02-08-2006, 10:42 PM
Our QB threw for nearly 300 yards on the Steelers, and Alexander gained 95 yards on the new Steel Curtain. We won more games this year than any team in the NFL (15), easily clinching the NFC crown, and darn near beat the Steelers, and you say we aren't a seasoned team? Hmmm...

Oh come on, enough with the stats. And no, you're not a seasoned team. I didn't see anyone of your players step out and make a big play. You gotta have a handful of those guys on your team to be able to overcome adversity in a game that big. You just don't have those guys.

augustashark
02-08-2006, 10:46 PM
Yea, Seahawks brought a knife to a gun fight! Just like the Bengals, Colts and Broncos!

AustinSeahawk
02-08-2006, 10:52 PM
You're right. Sorry.

OX1947
02-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Seattle played well and could have won the game. Its sad that the officals have taken the cake on this. I think the push off was a penalty. Has it been let go before, YES, have i seen them call it in games before, YES. When I went back to look at it, Jackson pushed off by exteneding his arm. Whether it was hard or not, it is creating separation. Its a judgment call and I have seen it let go and penalized. The holding on locklear is a freakin BLATANT hold. I cant understand why this is even being debated. Haggens turned the corner and Locklear held him on his shoulder pad, if he doesnt do that haggans kills Hasselbeck. I was yelling for the holding way before he even threw the ball and the refs threw the flag right away on that.

Hasselback's clipping call was dumb, I know because the steelers got called on that a month ago. And Ben's TD may or may have not gone in. But even if he doesnt, the ball is on the 1/4 inch line, c'mon, 6'5 big ben, all he would have done is reached over hartings and it would have been a TD.

Just because the penatlities are one sided doesnt mean that they should call fouls or penalties on the other team to even things out.

luvmysteelers
02-09-2006, 05:08 AM
The Seahawks were good enough to win, thats why they made it as far as they did. They didn't play their best game, and it just wasn't enough. Stats and ratings don't mean a thing, unless you get the ball in the endzone. Penalties? You have to be able to overcome them, play harder, fight harder.

I was almost agreeing with you, Austin, until you started whining that we should be relieved that we won, unneccessary penalties, and having your TD taken away. Blah blah blah. I think the Seahawks should be relieved that the Steelers didn't play their A game, either, because you wouldn't have had a snowballs chance in hell for a close game.

jbattenhouse
02-09-2006, 09:20 AM
In any event, we did put the "pigskin in the end zone". And then the ref took it away. Later we put it on the 1 yard line, and the ref took it away. Big Ben didn't put it in the end zone, but the ref was all too happy to signal touchdown once Ben placed it across the line.

AustinSeahawk, you came out in another thread and stated that you were here to congratulate us on our team's victory and the Seahawks had chances to win and squandered them. Then you go and post this statement. I will tell you the same thing I told another Seahawk fan who was more upfront with us. This is what I posted in another thread:

On the ONLY TD that the Seahawks scored, it was setup by an INT run back to the Pittsburgh 18 yard line, during which Ben Roethlisberger was blocked in the back by a Seahawk defender (he was actually in front of the defender before this happened, so maybe this would have been his second tackle of his career). Check out this thread to see pictures of it.
http://p087.ezboard.com/fstillersfor...ID=18835.topic
So, in retrospect, the only TD that Seattle scored was aided in part by an UNCALLED PENALTY. Had this been called, it would have been enforced 15 yards from the spot of the foul, which appears to be around the Pittsburgh 38 yard line, giving Seattle the ball at their 47 yard line. So the Seahawks benefitted 35 yards on an UNCALLED PENALTY on their ONLY TD of the game! So, if you are going to complain about the penalties that went against you, look at the ones that did not and should have.

Oh, and this little statement,

and a higher 3rd down completion percentage.

is wrong. The Seahawks converted only 5 of 17 attempts on third down for a 29% conversion rate. Pittsburgh converted 8 of 15 attempts for a 53% conversion rate. Go here for the OFFICIAL Stats since you seem to think the Seahawks did so well and the Steelers did so poorly.

http://www.superbowl.com/gamecenter/gamebook/NFL_20060205_SEA@PIT

Most of the difference came in the first quarter, when the Steelers failed to gain a first down, something I will give the Seahawks D some, but not all, of the credit on. Conversely, had your receivers, specifically Jeremy Stevens, been able to catch, I'm sure the Seahawks would have had more yards. And holding the league MVP to less than 100 yards rushing is a pretty good feat for any D. Our offensivel line also kept the league's highest total sack Defense to 1 while the Steelers D managed 3, one of which our NG used ONE hand to pancake your All-Pro center. So to come here and say you come in peace and then go on to say your team got robbed of TDs by the officials and flat outplayed the Steelers on both sides of the ball just doesn't add up.

TheWarDen86
02-09-2006, 09:28 AM
That pretty much sums it up.

bozz723
02-09-2006, 09:49 AM
Hardwork,

The only reason you had more time of possesion and yards was because of our horrendous first quarter and the fact that on the possesions we did score, we scored fast. Then after this we ran the ball the remaining 6 minutes and mucked you out. Answer-Seattle wasn't good enough.

AustinSeahawk
02-09-2006, 11:58 AM
I was almost agreeing with you, Austin, until you started whining that we should be relieved that we won, unneccessary penalties, and having your TD taken away. Blah blah blah. I think the Seahawks should be relieved that the Steelers didn't play their A game, either, because you wouldn't have had a snowballs chance in hell for a close game.

I realize that as a rare Seahawk supporter I'm not going be the most popular poster here, but I am trying to be fair. The only reason I responded to the original post was because I took offense to the original accusation by Hardwork that the Seahawks weren't good enough to win. I am simply defending my team from a statement that seems unfounded.

I'm not here to tell you that we are better than the Steelers. I'm just trying to say that I believe we are good enough to beat you. We just didn't. Whether you think the calls were fair or not doesn't matter, the penalties did cost us opportunities. If it makes you feel better to say I'm "whining" then so be it. I didn't think Joey Porter was "whining" after the Indy game. He was just supporting his team, and he was right.

bozz723
02-09-2006, 01:32 PM
I realize that as a rare Seahawk supporter I'm not going be the most popular poster here, but I am trying to be fair. The only reason I responded to the original post was because I took offense to the original accusation by Hardwork that the Seahawks weren't good enough to win. I am simply defending my team from a statement that seems unfounded.

I'm not here to tell you that we are better than the Steelers. I'm just trying to say that I believe we are good enough to beat you. We just didn't. Whether you think the calls were fair or not doesn't matter, the penalties did cost us opportunities. If it makes you feel better to say I'm "whining" then so be it. I didn't think Joey Porter was "whining" after the Indy game. He was just supporting his team, and he was right.

Yes, I see where you are coming from..totally legit to feel this way. However, as a Steeler fan, I'm gonna hav to say Seattle wasn't good enough to win. :blurp:

luvmysteelers
02-09-2006, 05:32 PM
And if you read my post, I agreed with you that you were good enough to win.