PDA

View Full Version : Who is our biggest rival now?

theSteeler
02-08-2006, 11:02 PM
So, now what? Who has become the most hated team in Steeler Country?

In the 70's, we hated Oakland and Dallas...the hate still resides today, but nowhere near as intense...

...for a good while, it was Jacksonville, but that has gone the way of the Dodo...

The Browns will always be hated, but pickin on them is like the 80's Mike Tyson vs Gary Coleman...it's like kicking that old dog that tried to bite you when you were young, and he is dying in front of you when wearing steel toed boots...

The Patriots are high on the list, too...but it comes down to Ray Ray and the Ravens or Big Mouth Chad Johnson and the Bungles...

I vote for the Ravens. I was at the sunday night game in Baltimore 2 years ago and I would have had an easier time if I was P.Diddy walking into a klan meeting...I respect but hate Ray Lewis and despise that filthy city. I can't wait to bury them at Heinz Field next season...plus, i can still smell the Browns on them...you can take the team out of Cleveland, but not Cleveland out of the team.

Whadaya say?

GoStillersGo
02-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Bengals. I think it will be a good rivalry for a long time if Palmer gets back to top form. I hope he does. I'm looking forward to some good matchups (but Steeler wins. :wink:)

83-Steelers-43
02-08-2006, 11:06 PM
The Bengals in my opinion.

FisherMOM
02-08-2006, 11:07 PM
I too am thinking the Bengals are hating on us bigtime and will be a good rivalry.

Personally, I'm looking forward to our first game against them next season!
It's gonna be good.

WWIIOwheelz
02-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Nah. The Ravens are a classic team that was sold-out. They are a shadow of the former rivalry we had with the Browns.

The Bungles are growing on us, let there be no doubt, and after the absolute misfortune of what happened with Palmer in the playoffs this year, I'm pretty sure Cincinatti has our rival love for the foreseeable future.

Besides..... we like to watch Chad Johnson.

Chronicgaming
02-08-2006, 11:10 PM
I have to say the Bengals as well, especially since they feel that they have something to prove after the Palmer injury. This rivalry should last a while, or until we beat them in the next couple matchups... :rolleyes:

WeNowHave5
02-08-2006, 11:11 PM
Most Hated would be the crybaby bengals. But Serious competition? Well, As long as #12 is playing for NE and Belechik is the coach, then I am always concerned about those Pats. To be honest, I'm glad we didnt have to play them. I said that Belechik made a mistake by not taking the last game against Miami seriously. Just think, if he wins that game then, he would have played the Stillers in NE in the 1st round. Who knows what would have happened?

Prosdo
02-08-2006, 11:12 PM
I have to say the Bengals. After this year looks like we got a good rivalry started.

daleemnm
02-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Ravens

theSteeler
02-08-2006, 11:21 PM
I'm surprised the hate for the Ratbirds disapated so quickly...points well taken though, I really have had it with the Bungles whining about everything. Reading some of their posts on Bengalszone.com is enough to make one want to burn that city down.

HATE METER: 1----------------------------------------5-----------------------------------------10

1. Ravens----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
1.(a) Bengals------------------------------------------------------------------------------------>
3. Patriots------------------------------------------------------------------->
4. Browns--------------------------------------------->
5. Raiders------------------------->

4xSBChamps
02-08-2006, 11:22 PM
..... in my opinion, you need 2 things to have a SERIOUS rivalry:
unadultered hatred, and familiarity.

Pittsburgh and New England have played a few times receently, but despite the Stiller NATION hating the Pats, the players don't seem THAT upset with each other, and playing them each season isn't guaranteed:
the Bungles, on-the-other-hand, think the Stillers 'took-out' Carson Palmer on cheap-shot, and will be trying to extract revenge twice a season, and they, too, like the Stillers, seem to be a team 'on-the-rise' .....

Throw-in primo trash-talkers on BOTH sides (Porter and Gowl-Toof ), stir with vocal crowds in cold-weather stadiums, add AFC North bragging-rights, and we can expect to-see twice-a-year blood-lettings just 300 miles apart, and a 3rd if they meet-up in the playovs.....
:wink:

Sharkissle29
02-08-2006, 11:26 PM
Bengals like to talk talk talk talk. its easily them now

theSteeler
02-08-2006, 11:27 PM

Pittsburgh and New England have played a few times receently, but despite the Stiller NATION hating the Pats, the players don't seem THAT upset with each other, and playing them each season isn't guaranteed:
the Bungles, on-the-other-hand, think the Stillers 'took-out' Carson Palmer on cheap-shot, and will be trying to extract revenge twice a season, and they, too, like the Stillers, seem to be a team 'on-the-rise' .....

Throw-in primo trash-talkers on BOTH sides (Porter and Gowl-Toof ), stir with vocal crowds in cold-weather stadiums, add AFC North bragging-rights, and we can expect to-see twice-a-year blood-lettings just 300 miles apart, and a 3rd if they meet-up in the playovs.....

I like the reference to Chad Johnson...

bozz723
02-08-2006, 11:28 PM
Browns just flat out do not make the list until they can compete again. I say the Patriots, then Ravens, then Bengals. However the Bengals are gaining fast..

However we don't play the Patriots this year so,it looks like we'll meet in the playoffs hopefully.

theSteeler
02-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Aren't the bungles kinda like your kid brother who finally won a game against you and hasn't shut up yet?

The Ravens are like the guy you fight every time you go to that one bar on the weekends...

Don't get me wrong, I hate them both and plan on tormenting both of their fans when they come here next season.

TexaSteeler
02-08-2006, 11:34 PM
No mention of the Colts. Because we only play them once a year? They will be a contender for a while. That Monday Night game made me really dislike them.

I can't really come up with a really heated rivalry because there is no long term history of competitiveness with any team that's currently competitive.

TexaSteeler
02-08-2006, 11:35 PM

Third thing is competitiveness.

FisherMOM
02-08-2006, 11:37 PM
Gowl-Toof

HA HA HA!

And Yes... most definately, there will ALWAYS be a RATBIRD'S rivalry!!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Im saying that the Bengals take over as our "rival", we took them out of the playoff and injured their star quarterback........Think about how it would be if someone hurt Ben
We would be out for blood.......Its gotta be the bengals.
The Ravens and Browns dont have the talent they once had......
The Patriots are a close second. but i believe both teams respect each other too much.

tony hipchest
02-08-2006, 11:53 PM
the bengals will have to prove they can win a playoff game before i consider them serious rivals as far as reaching the sb is concerned but they and the ravens must be our primary focus as far as winning the division and entering the playoffs (we almost missed the playoffs this year). as far as contending for a sb, no team, other than the patriots, has been to the afc champ. game as many times in the new millenium as the steelers, and no other team besides us and them has won the sb. they are definitely todays version of the raiders as far as the rivalries the steelers had in the 70's

4xSBChamps
02-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Third thing is competitiveness.
I stand-corrected:
:dang:

I just 'assumed' everybody would recognize that fact.
:nw:

ngreene15
02-09-2006, 12:10 AM
Obviously Cinci is our biggest rival right now.... Finally a competetive team in the AFC North ;)

But after this year, I don't know about anyone else, but me personally, I really began to hate the Colts. If we meet these guys again in the playoffs, it will be the birth of a new rivalry.

And lastly, the Patriots... I just flat out hate them, they've been our road block to the Superbowl too many times.

TasmanianTroy271
02-09-2006, 12:15 AM
The Ravens will just be annoying until they get a new starting QB. I think the Bengals are definately more of a rivalry now, because we're gonna be fighting for the AFC North for at least the next 5 years if Carson comes back full speed. Plus, the fact that we're so close together, and the Bengals think we stole their season and we've been killing them since forever... It's just been brewing, and now they've got the talent to fight back...

drizze99
02-09-2006, 12:15 AM
I hate everyone in our division equally. I want to beat their ass twice a year.... then I'll be happy.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Its a toss up between the bengals and ratbirds.. I give the edge to the ratbirds becuz I hate them so much and always will..

but from a competitive standpoint, the bengals would be my choice.

4xSBChamps
02-09-2006, 12:19 AM
..... as far as contending for a sb, no team other than the patriots has been to the afc champ. game than the patriots in the new millenium and no other team besides us and them has won the sb. they are definitely todays version of the raiders as far as the rivalries the steelers had in the 70's
I don't (myself ) see the current Stillers versus Pats anything-like the Stillers/Raiders of the '70s:
those 2 teams HATED each other, being total opposites, from ownership to coaches, and the players HATED each-other (as told to me by Ray Mansfield himself in that era ).

The 2 teams opened the '72 season at 3 Rivers, with the Stillers winning, and everyone knows what happened on 23 December 1972:

in '73, they played at Oakland in the regular-season, with the Stillers claiming the center of the field had been watered-down (to halt the Steeler's meat-grinder ground-game ), that Raiders OL had 'smeared' themselves with Vaseline, and the Stillers had been supplied under-inflated footballs for place-kicks that day, even-though the Stillers won, but lost there in Round #1 of the '73 playovs:

the Raiders shut-out Pittsburgh IN Pittsburgh early in '74, setting the stage for the Stiller's first victorious Championship Game IN Oakland in December '74:

the Stillers beat Oakland again for the AFC Championship in '75, this time with the Raiders claiming the Stillers had left the sidelines of 3 Rivers uncovered-and-frozen (to stop their side-line passing-attack ) the night before:

both teams again opened a season together, in Oakland on 12 Sept '76, with Oakland staging a furious comeback to win 31-28 late in the game.....
this was the famous "CRIMINAL-ELEMENT" game, with several fights breaking-out during the game, and George Atkinson 'punching' Lynn Swann in the back of the head during a running play, away-from-the-ball, and that ended-up with Noll in-court.....
Oakland beat the Stillers that year for the AFC Championship when Harris and Bleier were unable to play.....

and Oakland beat the Stillers again in early '77, but the rivalry died-out soon after that game, as the Raiders got-old, and 'Pinky' retired to the broadcast booth.

I can't imagine the Stillers or Patriots organizations stooping to those depths, nor playing almost twice-a-year:
in this day-and-age, free-agency and the salary-cap are the biggest reasons rivalries, as we once knew them, no-longer exist.

Just my $.02-worth.

luvmysteelers
02-09-2006, 05:54 AM
It's pretty close between The Ravens and Cincy, but I'm going with the Ravens. The Bengals are just annoying whiners. It's flat out hate for the Ravens and their fans.

OldschoolSteelerFan
02-09-2006, 07:15 AM
I'm thinking it's the Bungles now......after the year that they had, they'll probably build on that and keep it coming....if Palmer recovers, that is....but the Ravens will always be a close second unless the Browns decide to start playing at a higher level.

83-Steelers-43
02-09-2006, 09:18 AM
Top Five Pittsburgh Steeler Rivals in my opinion:

Bengals first - They are actually competitive. This season I also started to really dislike their fans and organization as a whole. Normally their fans stayed home and let us use their stadium as a second home, now they are on the wagon. Lewis complaining after the game. Chad Johnson unable to keep his mouth shut. The mocking of the TT. Frauds.

Ravens second - As of last year I heard on more than one occasion a Steeler player come out and state that they feel that the Ravens are they're biggest rival. Plus, they are thug-convicts. All noise, no action.

Browns third - They are the Browns. They are in Cleveland. An hour and half drive. Enough said.

Pariots fourth - Past playoff matchups. Cooled down since Super Bowl win (for me at least).

Colts fifth - Regular season matchups and playoff matchups. I really have nothing against the players or coaching staff. I actually respect Dungy a great deal.

thumb 2 come
02-09-2006, 09:30 AM
Ravens first - Just becauase I believe there is an actual hatred ammungst the payers when we step on the field aginst them:boxing:

Bengals second - They are competitive. This season I also started to really dislike their organization as a whole. Lewis complaining after the game. Chad Johnson unable to keep his mouth shut. TJ reallyu pi$$ed me off with the shoe thing he did with our beloved towl.

Browns third - They are the Browns. It's the oldest rivalry in pro football

Pariots fourth - Just because we owe them some a$$ whoopins for all the playoff pain they have caused us in the past. :boxing:

That said look out yall there's a new sheriff in town and they wear BLACK & GOLD

NJarhead
02-09-2006, 09:38 AM
Who's going to mark the first game against our Steelers on their calander?
The Bungholes or the Ratbirds?

I'd say Cincy w/o question (at least for now). I agree w/ the familiarity, but there must be a level of competitivness (which is why it can't be the Cleveland Brown stains right now).

T.J. Housyermama HAAAAAATES us..., I love to watch him cry.

SteelerTim
02-09-2006, 09:57 AM
While the Bungles will probably be the most competitive with us I still think the Ravens are the biggest rivals. There is true hate between the players and especially the fans. I live in the DC area and know a lot of Raven fans and they clearly hate us. Besides, I really hated Ray Lewis on the NFL Network saying the refs handed the SB to us. I want to see Hines get a shot at a crack back on him. SPLAT!!!

4xSBChamps
02-09-2006, 10:01 AM
..... with the visiting team having swept all 3 games this season, including the playov-opener, and the whole Carson Palmer injury, we have NO-IDEA how deep-seeded the hatred for the Stillers will-be from the Bungles in the near future.

Marvin Lewis will 'use' that injury to inspire his team, and ol' "Gowl-Toof" will start yapping the minute he is done having his dental-work appraised.....
:willy: :argue: :footinmou

NJarhead
02-09-2006, 10:03 AM
"Let's put a hurtin' on the Steel Curtain on three...."

-C. Palmer.

HA! I'd say that plan back fired! LOL.

benberger
02-09-2006, 10:25 AM
new england...til we beat them on the way to another super bowl, they are number one on my list.

silver & black
02-09-2006, 10:29 AM
I don't (myself ) see the current Stillers versus Pats anything-like the Stillers/Raiders of the '70s:
those 2 teams HATED each other, being total opposites, from ownership to coaches, and the players HATED each-other (as told to me by Ray Mansfield himself in that era ).

The 2 teams opened the '72 season at 3 Rivers, with the Stillers winning, and everyone knows what happened on 23 December 1972:

in '73, they played at Oakland in the regular-season, with the Stillers claiming the center of the field had been watered-down (to halt the Steeler's meat-grinder ground-game ), that Raiders OL had 'smeared' themselves with Vaseline, and the Stillers had been supplied under-inflated footballs for place-kicks that day, even-though the Stillers won, but lost there in Round #1 of the '73 playovs:

the Raiders shut-out Pittsburgh IN Pittsburgh early in '74, setting the stage for the Stiller's first victorious Championship Game IN Oakland in December '74:

the Stillers beat Oakland again for the AFC Championship in '75, this time with the Raiders claiming the Stillers had left the sidelines of 3 Rivers uncovered-and-frozen (to stop their side-line passing-attack ) the night before:

both teams again opened a season together, in Oakland on 12 Sept '76, with Oakland staging a furious comeback to win 31-28 late in the game.....
this was the famous "CRIMINAL-ELEMENT" game, with several fights breaking-out during the game, and George Atkinson 'punching' Lynn Swann in the back of the head during a running play, away-from-the-ball, and that ended-up with Noll in-court.....
Oakland beat the Stillers that year for the AFC Championship when Harris and Bleier were unable to play.....

and Oakland beat the Stillers again in early '77, but the rivalry died-out soon after that game, as the Raiders got-old, and 'Pinky' retired to the broadcast booth.

I can't imagine the Stillers or Patriots organizations stooping to those depths, nor playing almost twice-a-year:
in this day-and-age, free-agency and the salary-cap are the biggest reasons rivalries, as we once knew them, no-longer exist.

Just my $.02-worth.
Those were the days! I would love for the Raiders to become competitive again. This was/is my favorite rivalry... a rivalry that I would love to see resurrected.

sToN3R
02-09-2006, 10:37 AM
i would have to say the bengals......

4xSBChamps
02-09-2006, 10:56 AM
Those were the days!
I was later told, by a Stiller player, that as the team sat in their bus outside the stadium after being beaten in the '76 AFC Championship Game, jubilant Raider fans were heckling the Stillers.

Lambert was sitting in his seat, icing-down his battered body, blood running from open wounds, from the pounding they'd recieved that day.

Finally, Lambert had had enough, so he opened his window and said:
"Lemme finish this beer..... an' finish this cigarette..... an' I'll be ready to line-up again to face your team....."

I'm sure the Raider's players of that time-frame had the same attitude about facing the Stillers.
:boxing:

silver & black
02-09-2006, 11:57 AM
I was later told, by a Stiller player, that as the team sat in their bus outside the stadium after being beaten in the '76 AFC Championship Game, jubilant Raider fans were heckling the Stillers.

Lambert was sitting in his seat, icing-down his battered body, blood running from open wounds, from the pounding they'd recieved that day.

Finally, Lambert had had enough, so he opened his window and said:
"Lemme finish this beer..... an' finish this cigarette..... an' I'll be ready to line-up again to face your team....."

I'm sure the Raider's players of that time-frame had the same attitude about facing the Stillers.
:boxing:
I was in high school in those days. We had lots of Raiders fans and Steelers fans back then. I remember lots of fights and suspensions before and after any Raiders - Steelers game back then! Kinda warms your heart, don't it?!

I heard that the quote from Lambert was... " Give me a six pack and a half an hour rest, and let's play it again."

I would love to see our teams be that competitive again.

4xSBChamps
02-09-2006, 12:30 PM
I heard that the quote from Lambert was... " Give me a six pack and a half an hour rest, and let's play it again."

Either-way, it sounds like a typical 'loser' of a Stiller/Raider game of that era.
:cheers:

My dad sold cars part-time back-then (I washed & waxed cars there, too ), and several players drove our cars during the season:
in-return, we got a few tix for each game, and they'd show-up after each season for a 'Meet & Greet' at the dealership to sign autographs and BS with fans, so I heard a LOTTA 'good-stories' back then.
:cool:

RoethlisBURGHer
02-09-2006, 12:30 PM
Personally for me,I really hate the Browns and thier fans because I live in Cleveland.All I have heard my whole life is that I am a bandwagon fan,even back in the Korkie years that's all I heard.When I moved to the west side of Cleveland where nobody knew me I heard bandwagoner a whole lot more,and I still do (especially with the Super Bowl win).Maybe when I finally get my Steelers tattoo,it will shut these idiots up.

I also hate the Ravens,just because of the disrespect they have shown the Steelers in the past,and the fact that the team is made up of a bunch on convicts and thier fans act like convicts.

The Bengals are up-and-coming because we finally have a competitor in the AFCN,and they think we purposley took out Palmer when we beat thier ass in the playoffs.TJ Fagman hates us,Chad hates us,Marvin hates us,I am sure Paler now hates us,and the fans now hate each other.I used to have sympathy for them,now I wish nothing on them but heartbreaking losses to us.

I hate Dallas and Oakland,even though I wasn't alive for the 70's rivalries with them,my Grandpa has told me all about them,and I have watched shows about them.

I think we as fans hate the Patriots,but the players don't hate each other...yet.A few beating of the Patriots in the playoffs and that may change.

silver & black
02-09-2006, 01:30 PM
Personally for me,I really hate the Browns and thier fans because I live in Cleveland.All I have heard my whole life is that I am a bandwagon fan,even back in the Korkie years that's all I heard.When I moved to the west side of Cleveland where nobody knew me I heard bandwagoner a whole lot more,and I still do (especially with the Super Bowl win).Maybe when I finally get my Steelers tattoo,it will shut these idiots up.

I also hate the Ravens,just because of the disrespect they have shown the Steelers in the past,and the fact that the team is made up of a bunch on convicts and thier fans act like convicts.

The Bengals are up-and-coming because we finally have a competitor in the AFCN,and they think we purposley took out Palmer when we beat thier ass in the playoffs.TJ Fagman hates us,Chad hates us,Marvin hates us,I am sure Paler now hates us,and the fans now hate each other.I used to have sympathy for them,now I wish nothing on them but heartbreaking losses to us.

I hate Dallas and Oakland,even though I wasn't alive for the 70's rivalries with them,my Grandpa has told me all about them,and I have watched shows about them.

I think we as fans hate the Patriots,but the players don't hate each other...yet.A few beating of the Patriots in the playoffs and that may change.
I live 50 miles south of Cleveland. I hate the Browns fans too. They (painting with a broad brush, here) are some of the most bandwagon fans I have ever seen. They win one game and they think that they are all that and on the way to the SB! When they lose, which is often (feel free to say what you need to about my team) they won't wear their colors or even talk about the game. They are a pathetic lot.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-09-2006, 01:41 PM
I live 50 miles south of Cleveland. I hate the Browns fans too. They (painting with a broad brush, here) are some of the most bandwagon fans I have ever seen. They win one game and they think that they are all that and on the way to the SB! When they lose, which is often (feel free to say what you need to about my team) they won't wear their colors or even talk about the game. They are a pathetic lot.

Around the end of the 2004,a news channel purchased two "dawg pound" tickets and posted them on a lamp post in downtown,and nobody ever took them.

mdhus
02-09-2006, 01:47 PM
I would have to say cincinnati, baltimore and New England is our biggest rivals.

siko

klick81
02-09-2006, 02:29 PM
The patsies have our number every time. I'd say in MY opinion, we have a bone to pick with them. However, I REALLY dislike the bungles and their fans, and i'm sure the players don't really like each other either. There was WAY too much smack talking for them not to be looking forward to each and every single game.

pitt
02-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Bengals and Patriots

SalukiSteelers
02-09-2006, 02:43 PM
I haven't read any previous posts, so I may be saying something that's already been discussed, but I think the biggest rivalry -- at least in terms of hatred between players -- is found with the Ravens. Neither team can stand each other.

If the standard is a team that Pittsburgh locks up with in the playoffs, then the answer IMO is the Pats, though it wasn't really all that great of a rivalry because NE was the team with the titles and Pittsburgh was the little brother who got beat up.

The Cowboys will always be one of the most hated of rivals in fans' eyes but since the teams meet so infrequently, the players may not have as deep of feelings as us schmoes in the stands or on our couches.

Cleveland may be close in proximity but the team is so terrible, so often that it's tough to call it a rivalry. Especially after a 41-0 throttling this season.

Tell ya what, though, the rivalry that's budding with a resurgent Bengals team is one which could decide the balance of power in the North for seasons to come.

It used to be the Raiders in the seventies and the early-nineties gave us great games against the Jags and that jerk Tom Coughlin. Man, I hated that team.

Since I've almost every team in the league as potential rivals for our guys, I'll give you my choice of a team that I just hate: Baltimore. For some reason those jobbers always seem to give the Steelers a tough time.

clevestinks
02-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Let me start by saying" The brownies are worthy" Although their fans always are trying to make something out of nothing, I guess it because midway through Oct. thier playoff run is over annually. I live among the stains fans, and they truly believe that beating the Steelers, is as good as a Super Bowl victory. But if you`ve never ben to the dance, then what ever works!

Our second biggest rival is probably Cinci now. There is alot of bad blood between the two now, and who better than your toughest competition, to be your rival.
The pats would be a close third, but no gaurantees that we will play them ach season.

Our biggest rivals are....

Ourselves and our salary cap.

We played a sub par game offensively against the Seahawks, and we still won a Super Bowl ring. I truly beleive we will continue to get better, ben is getting better, Willie parker was in his first year as a starter, Troy and co. are young and learning. We knocked off the three best teams in the NFL, Den,Indy,Cin on our way to the big dance. This team is just on the verge of peaking, we need to keep the core of this team together, and grow and add that right pieces as we go.
The salary cap is king right now, we have alot of big names up for $$$$, we will probably be pretty bummed as we learn of some of them leaving, but we should trust in Cowher to make the right descions again.

The Drive for Number 6, is under way!

autogyroenthusiast
02-09-2006, 02:55 PM
Before this season, the Ravens.

Bengals are closing in. Hope Palmer gets better cause I wanna see him and Ben battle it out 2x/year for the next decade. Palmer got off easy leaving the playoff game that early :wink:

Hate the Browns but jeez, they are to pathetic to get excited about right now.

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2006, 03:04 PM
In terms of a team you see two times a year and need to beat to make the playoffs, it is the Bengals, especially since there is definite bad blood (Steelers = black & white TV; Carson Palmer's knee blown out by Kimo; Who Dey? - We Dey!).

Patriots are a team you annually need to attempt to get through in the playoffs, but until their fans believe we are as good as they are (lots of talk continues this week that they would have won it all again but for bad plays in Denver) I do not see us playing often or well enough yet to make it a mutual rivalry. In the all-time blood fued, Steelers-Raiders played 4 regular season games and 5 playoff games from 1972-1976.

Ravens are now in the dustbin of history and Browns are not yet any good. Thank God Billick can no longer gloat about being the only NFC North coach with a SB win.

theSteeler
02-09-2006, 08:51 PM
Reading all this is getting me firrrred up for Ravens and Bengal blood...I'm starting to think they are on almost equal footing...nevertheless, i'm looking 4ward to kicking both of their a$$es next season. The road trips to Hoopieville up north, Cincitucky, and Crime Riddled Baltimore should be fun this year!

Suitanim
02-09-2006, 08:58 PM
Rivalries don't change...we have a long one with the Browns, and they, as poor as they may be, are ours.

We have some new one's emerging though. Pats for sure as a new one...Rats are just hated, as are the Bungals...neither have done enough to warrant real concern.

I'd say Browns as long-term rivals and Pats as short-term. It's important that the Steelers beat the Pats in a playoff game sometime in the next few years, provided the Pats can crawl their way into the again. Brady needs to be beat down by the Steelers a few times...

burgh123
02-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Patriots first indy second and bengals third remember this was supposed to be there big year indy and the patriots were supposed to get there third victory the bengals were just supposed to beat us period and we werent going any farther than on post seasong game win.

HburgXL06
02-10-2006, 02:18 AM
Personally, I don't care who you are, where you come from, and who you have on your team, you play my Steelers and for 3 hours on that day I will HATE you. I don't care if you wear red, silver, or green da BLACK N GOLD gonna make you black and blue til you bleed red. Bring it on bengals. Bring it on ravens. Bring it on colts. Bring it on patriots. Wherever you from our steel built your city and now da Steelers are comin to tear you down!

"We bout to get that one for da thumb city of champs and, next year we start on da other hand." -GODsun TMC

BuFu

Haiku_Dirtt
02-10-2006, 03:22 AM
F..K chad. Oh! By the way. Did I say f..k johnson? Let me reiterate. F..K chad johnson. (Yes lower case)

The last I recall his pregame preparations before the game at Heinz Field included something about a towel and an iron. Heh. Get it. Towel! Iron!

If I had a four year old daughter, then it would have been beyond darling (after teaching her about the value of 'allowance').

But if he thought his vision of scoring a touchdown and then breaking out a Terrible Towel with the misconception that demonstrating his housekeeping skills would inflict maximum pain in Pittsburgh, then I guess he forgot what division he is playing in.

Theactrics are for actresses.

I watched every snap Palmer took in college. It sickened me to see him go to cincy. It saddened me to see him out of the game in the playoffs because he is one of the good ones in this league. He has a beautiful delivery.

BUT...The Steelers were going to take control of that game in the 3rd quarter. Period.

The Ravens - opinion - are not going to right the ship. It has already 'taken on too much water' and they have Brister or Malone or whoever playing QB. Please send Pepto to Romeo.

Do the math. Meet the new Boss...same as the old Boss!!

Ryan
02-10-2006, 03:43 AM
The Bengals MIGHT be a rival in the future. Right now? Haven't we won like 80% of our games against them in the last fifteen years? Not much of a rivalry yet.

Mr. Clean
02-10-2006, 06:10 PM
I grew up 25 miles southeast of Cleveland. Back in the 1970s the Youngstown TV stations carried the Steelers almost every week so we were able to see almost all of the games.

Whining, crying and complaining are hallmarks of Clown fans. Right now the Clowns are nothing but raodkill for the Steelers but their fans always want blood against Pittsburgh.

Cincy ran their mouths, made a rap video, and paid the price for it. As for the Ratbirds - when the old Clowns moved to Baltimore, their fans did not immediately hate Pittsburgh. After the Steeler fans took over their stadium, the hate grew. Steeler fans in Central PA get a raw deal because the Harrisburg TV stations have to carry Ratbird home games and almost nobody outside of York County with its displaced Marylanders likes the Ratbirds.

Cincy and the Rats are the biggest rivals right now. After that, New England.

MNsteelers
02-10-2006, 06:41 PM
Isn't every team in the NFL our rival right now? We've got 10 games outside of our division against teams that are looking for a win against Pittsburgh to make their season. We're on top, everyone is looking to knock us off. That makes us the enemy on a bigger level than normal for 31 teams in this league.

Personally, I would really like to see Pittsburgh sweep the division, beat the Patriots in the playoffs and take out Seattle in the Super Bowl next year. Obviously, any road to a repeat title is nice. But if we're talking about ULTIMATE satisfaction, that would be it for me.

4xSBChamps
02-10-2006, 07:19 PM
..... I would really like to see Pittsburgh sweep the division, beat the Patriots in the playoffs and take out Seattle in the Super Bowl next year.....
..... no-disrespect to Seattle-fans, but if the Stillers ARE fortunate-enough to beat the Seahawks in SB-XLI, I hope they leave NO-FRIGGIN'-DOUBT as to who the best team REALLY is at the game's conclusion.

Suitanim
02-10-2006, 07:23 PM
I think Seattle is a one-and-done.

Also, for those saying Pats, we get an AFC East team at home next year, but we get Miami not NE, so if we face them it will have to be in the playoffs, providing they get there.

4xSBChamps
02-10-2006, 07:26 PM
I think Seattle is a one-and-done.
..... I was thinking more-like "TWO & BRUISED" .....

Suitanim
02-10-2006, 07:52 PM
..... I was thinking more-like "TWO & BRUISED" .....
Don't get me wrong...nothing would please me more than to draw them for SB XLI and beat the **** out of them like 55-3, but I think Alexander leaving will drop them back into mediocrity next year (Even in the NFC).

theSteeler
02-11-2006, 07:01 PM
If we are healthy, I see Pittsburgh vs Tampa Bay next season...Cadillac gives them a true running game and Chris Simms will be better...plus their D is nice.

Need4spd
02-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Bengals, no question about it.

Livinginthe past
02-12-2006, 10:36 PM
As an outsider I would have to go along with the Bengals.

It looks like both teams are going to be challenging for major honors for the next 3/4 years at least......

NM

BlackNGold203
02-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Cincy games are gonna be 2 wars this year....

Cleveland is still Cleveland.....

As long as Boller is in Baltimore..they are no threat....

SuperMan313
02-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Cincy and Cleveland, I can't decide which one though. Cincy will be more competitive so I'll take them.

GO STEELERS!!!!!!!