PDA

View Full Version : Whiz stays with Pittsburgh

OX1947
02-09-2006, 03:41 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2324836

good move on Whiz's part. Its known that Whiz is a private guy and doesnt like too much attention. I think he needs a job that molds intself like Pittsburgh and I hope that comes to him next year. We sure can use him for another ring next year.....

klick81
02-09-2006, 03:43 PM
HELL YEAH!!!!

CASTEEL
02-09-2006, 03:45 PM
WHEW.......That's GREAT news!!! :grin:

Looking forward to next seasons start..........

mdhus
02-09-2006, 03:47 PM
YAY! *Throws Confetti!

blackngoldbaby
02-09-2006, 03:48 PM
I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO GLAD COACH WIZ IS STAYIN!!! :yep: HE REALLY MADE THE RIGHT MOVE I MEAN THERES NO GOOD PLAYERS OUT IN OKLAND! I WAS PRAYIN HE WOULD!:bouncy: :cool: NICE MOVE COACH WIZ:thumbsup: :sign01: :tt: :tt: :tt: :tt:

RoethlisBURGHer
02-09-2006, 03:51 PM
HELL YES!

NOW I KNOW WE WILL WIN A SIXTH SUPER BOWL WITH THE WHIZ BEHIND THE OFFENSE ONCE AGAIN!

Big Ben for MVP in 2006!

Ambridge
02-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Great move by Whiz!!!
I guess it didn't take him too long to see that Al Davis is really the head coach and he'd be just a puppet.

Hell, I believe most are the assistants are already in place in Oakland and Ken wouldn't be able to assemble his own staff.

This is great for the Steelers. Whiz and Ben together for another season can only be a good thing for both of them.

Tim
02-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Holy crap that's awesome news.

bamasteeler
02-09-2006, 03:57 PM
sweet jesus thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
whiz knows he could get such a better job next year and i am so happy he is staying.

RIG58
02-09-2006, 03:59 PM
I have been waiting all day to hear this.

WWIIOwheelz
02-09-2006, 04:00 PM
I am honestly surprised, but very, very thankful!

silver & black
02-09-2006, 04:05 PM
I knew he wouldn't take the job. Congratulations on keeping a fine, young coach.

I guess I will have to live with my team being a bottom feeder for years to come. I never thought I would live to see the Raiders become the laughing stock of the NFL. Excuse me, I think I need to go puke.

clevestinks
02-09-2006, 04:08 PM
I`m sure nobody is happier than Ben and Cowher!

Maybe the timing wasn`t right, he deserves a HC job, and he will probably get one soon!
But in all honesty, can you imagine going from the Rooneys and a Super Bowl to Al Davis?? Hopefully he will get a job where he is respected like he is here!

TexaSteeler
02-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Wahoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

I actually danced around the office for that one.

Prosdo
02-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Thank you for staying Whiz! Man this is some great news.

Ambridge
02-09-2006, 04:10 PM
I knew he wouldn't take the job. Congratulations on keeping a fine, young coach.

I guess I will have to live with my team being a bottom feeder for years to come. I never thought I would live to see the Raiders become the laughing stock of the NFL. Excuse me, I think I need to go puke.

Just curious!

Are most die-hard Oakland fans happy with the way Al Davis has handled the Raiders the last few seasons??
Do they feel it's time for him to sell the team or step down and take a smaller role in the organization??

sector9
02-09-2006, 04:13 PM
Did you hear the 250,000 fans telling him that Oakland Sucks at the parade? He said the fans were a major factor in his choice...NICE!:bouncy:

Ambridge
02-09-2006, 04:15 PM
I`m sure nobody is happier than Ben and Cowher!

Maybe the timing wasn`t right, he deserves a HC job, and he will probably get one soon!

There's a good chance he could be with the Steelers even after next season.
There wont be as many head coach openings next year and if the Steelers go deep again in the playoffs that could be just the right formula for Whiz sticking around even longer.

4xSBChamps
02-09-2006, 04:16 PM
..... so-much for THAT debate.....
:cya:

bozz723
02-09-2006, 04:21 PM
haha I was wondering who was first to post it on here...

TapOut64
02-09-2006, 04:24 PM
Great news. Can't wait till next season.

wardgrl
02-09-2006, 04:27 PM
yes yes yes yes yes!!!!

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2006, 04:28 PM
P-G link here.

I am thrilled he is staying, but what does that say about how toxic the Raiders job is perceived to be in the NFL community? Note the quote where Whisenhunt's agent feels a need to get on the record how Wiz "likes and respects" Al Davis. How often do you see a need to make that sort of statement?

Maybe Whisenhunt talked with Mularkey about how staying put and waiting for a better job is preferable to grabbing for a bad first opportunity to be a HC.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06040/652912.stm

kellyg77
02-09-2006, 04:32 PM
YES! That is definitely good news. I was really hoping he would stick with the Steelers and work more with Ben. Plus I REALLY hate the Raiders.

mymaveric
02-09-2006, 04:35 PM
Smart move on Whisenhunt's part. He definatly better off staying put for now than heading to that mess in Oakland.

silver & black
02-09-2006, 04:43 PM
Just curious!

Are most die-hard Oakland fans happy with the way Al Davis has handled the Raiders the last few seasons??
Do they feel it's time for him to sell the team or step down and take a smaller role in the organization??
The Raider fans that can see the forest for the trees, and can remove the rose colored glasses that keep all things looking, well... rosy in Raider land, are most definately not happy with the past 20 years, to be honest. Raider fans seem to be split 50/50 on the subject.

Over at RF.net, you almost don't even dare talk negatively about Al Davis. He is God, and can do no wrong in the eyes of the true Raider fans. I, on the other hand, believe that it is us, the fans that question the way Al Davis opertates, that are the true fans.

Before any other Raider fan comes on here to chastise me for what I just said, let me say this. I have the utmost respect for Al Davis and what he has accomplished. He was the driving force behind the merger of the AFL and NFL. He has done much good for pro football and brought about many of the things we all love about pro football. If it wasn't for Al Davis, there would be no Superbowl. The NFL would not exist as it does today.

To answer your question... there are quite a few of us die hard Raider fans that are not happy with the organization right now. There is nothing that any of us can do... except suffer the indignation of what was once one of the premier teams in the NFL.

4xSBChamps
02-09-2006, 04:56 PM
I, on the other hand, believe that it is us, the fans that question the way Al Davis operates, that are the true fans.....
there are quite a few of us die hard Raider fans that are not happy with the organization right now.
There is nothing that any of us can do..... except suffer the indignation of what was once one of the premier teams in the NFL.
I feel for ya, brother :cheers:

.....and I thought I was speaking to an INTELLIGENT Raider-fan all-along!!!!!
:hunch:

Now..... git that Vaseline off yer jersey, git over-here, and line-up, ya no-good Pirate-swine!!!!!
:boxing: :kick: :buttkick:

:wink02:

melroseplace
02-09-2006, 04:59 PM
I just heard it on KDKA :bouncy: I was so relieved to hear that, although not really surprised

Suitanim
02-09-2006, 05:03 PM
Excellent!

http://z.about.com/d/animatedtv/1/0/a/A/mrburns.jpg

silver & black
02-09-2006, 05:05 PM
I feel for ya, brother :cheers:

.....and I thought I was speaking to an INTELLIGENT Raider-fan all-along!!!!!
:hunch:

Now..... git that Vaseline off yer jersey, git over-here, and line-up, ya no-good Pirate-swine!!!!!
:boxing: :kick: :buttkick:

:wink02:
Thanks for the kind words... I think.:grin:

4xSBChamps
02-09-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the kind words... I think.:grin:
:nw: :bowdown:

Atlanta Dan
02-09-2006, 05:09 PM
The Clayton story on espn.com that is the link at the top of this thread reports Louisville coach Bobby Petrino also turned the job down.

After Whisenhunt left Oakland and was told Raiders would get back to him, Clayton says Petrino was offered the job. No wonder Petrino and Wiz both bailed. Provides new perspective on the quote that Wiz "likes and respects" Dirty Al.

Default candidate now apparently is Art Shell; other than the possible alternative involving Marv Levy going back to Buffalo, the Raiders are conducting the interviewing train wreck of the post-season.

WWIIOwheelz
02-09-2006, 05:10 PM
I really am surprised. All the signs I've seen pointed to Whiz taking that job. You really must be correct in your assessment of Al Davis, because I just knew the Steelers had lost yet another coordinator. The deal must not have been anywhere close to "sweet" enough.

No offer was presented at all, though, so who knows what will happen.

4xSBChamps
02-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Default candidate now apparently is Art Shell; other than the possible alternative involving Marv Levy going back to Buffalo, the Raiders are conducting the interviewing train wreck of the post-season.
..... there's always former Washington Sentinels Head Coach Jimmy McGinty.....
:cya:

PisnNapalm
02-09-2006, 05:15 PM
BOOYEAH BABY!!

Stlrs4Life
02-09-2006, 05:28 PM
Excellent news, didn't want to see him leave.

r5480
02-09-2006, 05:33 PM
here we go wizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz here we go 4 a 6 superbowl

beSteelmyheart
02-09-2006, 05:35 PM
I send thanks to the football gods!:cheers: :bowdown:

Stillers#1
02-09-2006, 05:36 PM

At least you're sticking with your team. They had a terrible year this year, and yet you still keep them in your avatar, thats the sign of a true fan, and I respect that. I hope you guys get better soon so we can have some more great rivalry years.

r5480
02-09-2006, 05:36 PM
I live in florida and go to a sports bar and i have to tell you it,s just like livin in da burgh when you walk in

BB2W
02-09-2006, 05:38 PM
This is GREAT news... I'm so happy!!! I think Whis played a huge roll in our Superbowl winning season. :cool:

r5480
02-09-2006, 05:39 PM
so what are the thoughs of randel el stayin next season

GutterflowerSteel
02-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Wooot!! I heard it on Afternoon Blitz on the way home from work today. That just made my day. :thmbup:

r5480
02-09-2006, 05:42 PM
:dang: :redface: :blah: [mike holmgren and his stupid comments

Chronicgaming
02-09-2006, 05:49 PM
That's great! I've been waiting since last night to hear this!

tony hipchest
02-09-2006, 05:54 PM
The Raider fans that can see the forest for the trees, and can remove the rose colored glasses that keep all things looking, well... rosy in Raider land, are most definately not happy with the past 20 years, to be honest. Raider fans seem to be split 50/50 on the subject.

Over at RF.net, you almost don't even dare talk negatively about Al Davis. He is God, and can do no wrong in the eyes of the true Raider fans. I, on the other hand, believe that it is us, the fans that question the way Al Davis opertates, that are the true fans.

Before any other Raider fan comes on here to chastise me for what I just said, let me say this. I have the utmost respect for Al Davis and what he has accomplished. He was the driving force behind the merger of the AFL and NFL. He has done much good for pro football and brought about many of the things we all love about pro football. If it wasn't for Al Davis, there would be no Superbowl. The NFL would not exist as it does today.

To answer your question... there are quite a few of us die hard Raider fans that are not happy with the organization right now. There is nothing that any of us can do... except suffer the indignation of what was once one of the premier teams in the NFL.

i enjoy your candid remarks on your team. in a way steelerfans have had that same 50-50 split where cowher is concerned. many thought he shouldve been fired years ago and the rooneys were stupid for giving him an extension. sometimes it wasnt to pretty being a "cowher sympathizer". im willing to bet that most true raider fans would gladly trade their past 14 year coaching situation for bill cowher and the stability and success he has brought the steelers.

im thinking maybe whisenhunt was put off by art *****footing around and not offering him the job right away. im curious to know if wiz flew all the way out there and found out that davis offered the job to someone else. id be a little offended. mularkey did decline an offer and perhaps ken took that and martz pulling his hat out into consideration. good for the steelers, horrible for the raiders.

Need4spd
02-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Hallelujah!!! This is the best thing that's happened to the Steelers since... well... last Sunday when we won the Super Bowl!!! Seriously, this is really great news. I am sure that another, much better position will open up for a much deserving coach like Whisenhunt after next season. I also think this will go a long way in Big Ben's continued development.

Milkman
02-09-2006, 06:11 PM
Best news I've heard since the end of the Super Bowl!!!

MNsteelers
02-09-2006, 06:14 PM
Yeah, I guess looking at it now, he really would have made a bad decision going over there. He would have basically lost a year considering he wouldn't have a staff of his own, and as long as it would take him to get ready to run that dismal franchise, he could stay in Pittsburgh, up his stock more and get a REAL head coaching job next year, all the while putting Pittsburgh's offense to one of the best in the league.

My bad on thinking he was leaving.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-09-2006, 06:19 PM
Al Davis needs to stop trying to run the football aspect of the Oakland Raiders.He really needs to step aside and just hire someone to take care of that stuff.Be it the General Manager,or a President of Football Operations.Al's way or the highway hasn't worked in a long time.He loves the long ball too much.Everyone knows that Al is the coach,not whoever is named the head coach.If he really is "commited to excellence" then he will do this so he can "just win baby".

I am happy for Art Shell,who will end up coach of the Raiders.He will be able to get some discipline in the locker room,something that hasn't been there for a while.He knows the orginization,and I think he might be able to bring the team out of the laughingstocks of the league.

But one thing is for sure,whoever ends up coaching this team better be given more than two years.The defense sucks,and the only really good players on the offense is Randy Moss and LaMont Jordan.This definatly isn't a championship caliber team and won't be for a few years.If the coach is only given two years to get into the playoffs,Davis should expect to be in the same prediciment next time...unable to give the job away.Hell,I wouldn't even take the job and it'll pay better than anything else I could get.

Suitanim
02-09-2006, 06:20 PM
Have the Raiders called Butch Davis yet? He's available...

silver & black
02-09-2006, 06:30 PM
Have the Raiders called Butch Davis yet? He's available...
Oh god... no!

tony hipchest
02-09-2006, 06:31 PM
Have the Raiders called Butch Davis yet? He's available...:sofunny: thats just wrong. sportscenter just reported that bobby petrino turned down a 5 year/$18 mil offer. WOW! whisenhunt probably wouldve been offered m. tice $$$

luvmysteelers
02-09-2006, 06:34 PM
I think I was almost as excited when I heard this news today as I was after the game Sunday! Great choice, Whiz! We love you!

MNsteelers
02-09-2006, 06:52 PM
so what are the thoughs of randel el stayin next season

Slim to none and none is walking out faster than El down the sideline. Pittsburgh - after Bettis' salary cap # comes off the books - will only be about $1M under, and with Chris Hope, Deshea Townsend, Kimo, Keisel, Haynes, Batch, Morgan and Tuman up next year, not to mention Ike being a restricted free agent, odds are really not good that El will be back. El can command probably close to $3.5M next year (Chicago will bite), and Pittsburgh can't afford to pay that. They can give Q probably $1.5M per over three years and have him play the 3 behind Ced.

I bet Kimo goes too, and Pittsburgh takes that money and makes Keisel a starter. Hope is going to get a five-year extension, which Pittsburgh only gives to players who have earned it and WILL earn it in the future (unless you're named Chad Scott or Jason Gildon). They'll retain Ike, but Townsend will cost himself out of Pittsburgh. It brings up an interesting question, but I bet McFadden gets the nod over Colclough next season. RC doesn't seem to have developed as well as Pittsburgh hoped to this point, and McFad made some huge plays last season. He earned a starting job.

Another big question is whether or not Deactivated Duce will return. I can't help but think he's not going to want to renegotiate his contract, considering he barely had a chance to ever prove it. Cap hit is a concern if he gets cut, which is likely. They're going to need to save that money in case Parker backs up his 1200 yard season next year. If he does, he's looking at the $3.5M range the Steelers gave Duce.

They're saying Hartings has a massive cap price, and they're going to have to find a way to work him down a bit on it. Keep in mind, they signed Chukki Okobi to an extension at the end of the 2003 season. It broke down basically to have him making backup money in 04 and 05, and get starting money in 06. I guess they were expecting Hartings to retire, or at least cover their butts for the liklihood that he would. Two Pro Bowls later, they're in a bit of trouble there. I think he stays though. They're just going to have to basically guarantee his contract this year and next to convince him.

Tuman's gone for sure.

Next year, you're looking at:

DE Brett Keisel
NT Casey Hampton (pro bowl)
DE Aaron Smith
OLB Joey Porter (pro bowl)
ILB James Farrior
ILB Larry Foote
OLB Clark Haggans
CB Ike Taylor
CB Bryant McFadden
SS Troy Polamalu (all pro)
FS Chris Hope

LT Marvel Smith
LG Alan Faneca (pro bowl)
C Jeff Hartings (pro bowl)
RG Kendall Simmons
RT Max Starks
FB Dan Krieder
RB Willie Parker
QB Ben Roethlisberger
FL Hines Ward
SE Cedrick Wilson
TE Heath Miller

geran42o
02-09-2006, 06:54 PM
THANK GOD!!!!Good move Whiz

Suitanim
02-09-2006, 06:59 PM
MN, you are WAY off...we'll pick this up later in another thread when it's more appropriate.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2006, 07:55 PM
I had my fingers crossed and a sneaking suspicion he wasnt gonna take this job. Thank goodness he's staying put. There are much better opportunities for him w/ more stable franchises in the future.. he'll get his shot there is no doubt.

Tha rock
02-09-2006, 07:58 PM
fuc wisen****!!!!!! and al davis i hate them bolth!!!!!!!!

BenPFJ1958
02-09-2006, 08:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2324836

good move on Whiz's part. Its known that Whiz is a private guy and doesnt like too much attention. I think he needs a job that molds intself like Pittsburgh and I hope that comes to him next year. We sure can use him for another ring next year.....

This is great news - now if we can only sign Randle El and Deshea Townsend

On the road to Super Bowl XLI !!!

WeNowHave5
02-09-2006, 08:38 PM
yup. I heard it on the radio when I left work today. Good news. But I didnt think he wanted it from the begining which makes me wonder why he even went to the interview. The iob was turned down by someone else too. Funny, nobody wants to coach the Raiders funny. Gee, I wonder why? Hey, there's always "TimeOut" Mike Martz :sofunny:

Cebby
02-09-2006, 10:18 PM
Thanks Whis!!!!! We love you man!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
02-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Prosdo sent me the link while I was at work..I was like Waahoo !!! We're keepin the Whiz in Pittsburgh.

Step 1 of the offseason accomplished, all coaches intact !

WisconsinSteelerMan
02-09-2006, 11:02 PM
WHEW!!! I SO THOUGHT HE WAS GONE!!!

That is just awesome!!!!!!!!!

This is always the part of the post season I hate to see... Players and coaches shifting around the league...

This is one movement that I didn't want to see!

I am actually GIDDY now!!!

FisherMOM
02-09-2006, 11:12 PM
All's I can say is "WOO HOO!!!!!" That's great news!:bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

silver & black
02-10-2006, 06:44 AM
At least you're sticking with your team. They had a terrible year this year, and yet you still keep them in your avatar, thats the sign of a true fan, and I respect that. I hope you guys get better soon so we can have some more great rivalry years.
Thanks bro. I will always be a Raiders fan... I don't know anything else. I've been bleeding silver and black for over 38 years... the bleeding has become profuse these past three seasons.

I too, hope that we can get this rivalry back up to par. I have really enjoyed the games that our teams have played/fought, in the past. Some of the best games ever played, in my opinion.

silver & black
02-10-2006, 06:52 AM
i enjoy your candid remarks on your team. in a way steelerfans have had that same 50-50 split where cowher is concerned. many thought he shouldve been fired years ago and the rooneys were stupid for giving him an extension. sometimes it wasnt to pretty being a "cowher sympathizer". im willing to bet that most true raider fans would gladly trade their past 14 year coaching situation for bill cowher and the stability and success he has brought the steelers.

im thinking maybe whisenhunt was put off by art *****footing around and not offering him the job right away. im curious to know if wiz flew all the way out there and found out that davis offered the job to someone else. id be a little offended. mularkey did decline an offer and perhaps ken took that and martz pulling his hat out into consideration. good for the steelers, horrible for the raiders.
Hey, Tony... thanks for the words. We still don't really know what went down as far as Wiz goes. There are so many rumors flying around the Nation right now, that it's impossible to know the truth.

We'll probably find out in a day or two, after everything settles down a bit. I'm more comfortable here, right now, than I am at my own forum. It is just ugly over there at this point.

If any of you hear what really went down, would you please post it up for me?

silver & black
02-10-2006, 07:03 AM
Al Davis needs to stop trying to run the football aspect of the Oakland Raiders.He really needs to step aside and just hire someone to take care of that stuff.Be it the General Manager,or a President of Football Operations.Al's way or the highway hasn't worked in a long time.He loves the long ball too much.Everyone knows that Al is the coach,not whoever is named the head coach.If he really is "commited to excellence" then he will do this so he can "just win baby".

I am happy for Art Shell,who will end up coach of the Raiders.He will be able to get some discipline in the locker room,something that hasn't been there for a while.He knows the orginization,and I think he might be able to bring the team out of the laughingstocks of the league.

But one thing is for sure,whoever ends up coaching this team better be given more than two years.The defense sucks,and the only really good players on the offense is Randy Moss and LaMont Jordan.This definatly isn't a championship caliber team and won't be for a few years.If the coach is only given two years to get into the playoffs,Davis should expect to be in the same prediciment next time...unable to give the job away.Hell,I wouldn't even take the job and it'll pay better than anything else I could get.
That pretty much sums it up. There are quite a few of us in Raider Nation that agree with you.

We are not really that far away from contending again. We are a young team with a lot of talent. The defense is not good, I'll give you that, but they did progress nicely last season. The biggest disappoinment was the offense. How can you suck so bad, with such a high powered offense? O line... that's how. The line was just pathetic. That is where the major overhaul needs to take place. There were guys playing out of position the whole season because of injuries and stupid moves by the coaching staff. I really don't look to be as bad this next season... the next coach couldn't possibly be as ineffecitve, and clueless as Norv was... no matter who it is.

silver & black
02-10-2006, 07:08 AM
fuc wisen****!!!!!! and al davis i hate them bolth!!!!!!!!
Grow up, kid! You make real Raider fans look foolish with stupid remarks like that!

If you can't post something worth reading, don't post!

Remember... it's better to keep your mouth shut, and be thought of as a dumbass, than it is to open it, and remove all doubt!

4xSBChamps
02-10-2006, 07:38 AM
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/steelerslive/s_422473.html

83-Steelers-43
02-10-2006, 09:11 AM
Very smart on his part.

silver & black
02-10-2006, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the link, I appreciate it.

4xSBChamps
02-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the link, I appreciate it.
nolo-problemo.....
:cheers:

Here is the link to my home-town's sports section:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/

Feel-free to use it for more info regarding this subject, or opposition-intel, anytime.
:boxing:

blitzburgher
02-10-2006, 07:34 PM
that made my day when i heard that!! i'm glad he turned down that ahole al davis!!:busted: :busted:

silver & black
02-11-2006, 11:21 AM
that made my day when i heard that!! i'm glad he turned down that ahole al davis!!:busted: :busted:
You might want to do a little research on the guy you called an A hole. I think you might find that you would feel foolish about your comment.

clevestinks
02-12-2006, 12:34 PM
You might want to do a little research on the guy you called an A hole. I think you might find that you would feel foolish about your comment.
Al is all about himself and his team, nothing about the NFL!

silver & black
02-12-2006, 12:52 PM
[QUOTE=clevestinks]Al is all about himself and his team, nothing about the NFL![/QUOTE

Just for shits and giggles, do as I suggested: Do some research on Al Davis. Then get back to me, and back up what you just said... bet you can't.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2006, 12:54 PM
Al Davis and Jerry Jones used to be one in the same.. Both of them were way to hands on and never let the coaches do their jobs..

Jerry has since stepped back alittle since he hired Parcells.. IMO, Al Davis still has to have that choke hold on the HC that they never feel comfortable in their position.

silver & black
02-12-2006, 01:10 PM
Al Davis and Jerry Jones used to be one in the same.. Both of them were way to hands on and never let the coaches do their jobs..

Jerry has since stepped back alittle since he hired Parcells.. IMO, Al Davis still has to have that choke hold on the HC that they never feel comfortable in their position.
Jerry Jones and Al Davis are nothing alike. Jerry jones had no choice but to step back... he knows relatively little about football. On the other hand, Al Davis probably knows more about football than anyone in the game today.

Al Davis isn't near as hands on as the media and haters would have everyone believe. It makes for good copy, so they just keep perpetuating the myth. I have never heard any of these claims from any coach that ever coached the Raiders... written or otherwise.

tony hipchest
02-12-2006, 01:24 PM
Al is all about himself and his team, nothing about the NFL!
he did bail out the nfl from the big stink that was raised over their minority hiring practices this year. and i dont think shell was a token hire. it kind of seems like d. snyder bringing back j. gibbs to be a stablizing force for his org.

although i dont think the nfl would come out and pat davis on the back, behind the scenes they must be extremely pleased.