PDA

View Full Version : Steeler finds stardom in South Korea

drizze99
02-09-2006, 04:15 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AiCRt8KMVwtt8X3TqaHJIShDubYF?slug=ap-skorea-superbowlhero&prov=ap&type=lgns

The 'Ward Syndrome' has hit South Korea. The article is a good read.

melroseplace
02-09-2006, 06:23 PM
cool, thanks for sharing :smile:

klick81
02-09-2006, 08:12 PM
That's very interesting. I would hope that he takes A LOT of professional protection when he does go to Korea. Last thing Hines need is some racist Korean trying to hurt him. I'm happy he can represent his people and hopefully be a role model for many mixed race Korean children.

WeNowHave5
02-09-2006, 08:41 PM
where is his father? Was he KIA or was he one of those deadbeat dads that just wanted a one-night fling?? If the guy is alive I'me sure he is kicking himself.

TasmanianTroy271
02-09-2006, 10:02 PM
I'm pretty sure he's alive, but I think he had a wife while Hines was growing up and wasn't really wanted there. I remember on Hines's In My Own Words that he said "he's come out of the woodwork now with the success"

klick81
02-09-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm pretty sure he's alive, but I think he had a wife while Hines was growing up and wasn't really wanted there. I remember on Hines's In My Own Words that he said "he's come out of the woodwork now with the success"

:pity:

drizze99
02-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Hines' father met his mother in South Korea while he was in the military. They moved back to the USA and got married. When Hines was 2 (I believe) they got divorced. Hines stayed with his mother until he was 4. Hines then moved in with his father because she could no longer afford him. While living with his father in a 'ghetto' type atmoshere, he bame a trouble maker. His mother never gave up hope of raising him and after 3 years, she brought Hines back to Atlanta to live with her. While she was alone, she worked multiple jobs so she could buy a house. Hines was ridiculed by a lot of school kids because he had a Korean mother. Hines himself didn't want to be with his mother. He really regretted going back with her. One day while she was driving him to school, he scrunched down in his seat because he didn't want the kids to see him. He got out of the car, and as he walking to the school, he turned around and saw his mother crying. Right then, Hines changed his attitude and appreciated his mother and didn't care what the kids said. They grew to have a very strong bond after that. She instilled in him that if he worked hard at whatever he wanted to do in life, he would suceed... the rest is history.

I only heard the story once, but I'm pretty sure I am correct with everything. Oh and his mother still only speaks Korean. The piece that I saw had her interview subtitled.

klick81
02-10-2006, 12:43 AM
Damn...the struggle of so many kids.