PDA

View Full Version : Ben or Byron

pete74
06-06-2010, 05:27 AM
The Steeler Nation will be holding its breath when the regular season kicks off against the Atlanta Falcons on September 12th. Will the team be lousy without its star quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger, or will they fly high under the veteran leadership of Byron Leftwich?

Leftwich’s numbers were never big when was at his best in Jacksonville. Then again, Leftwich was never known as a gunslinger, but more as a game manager which could be exactly what the Steelers need if they are going to return to being a running team that controls the ball.

The Steelers are a virtual mess right now thanks to the controversy surrounding Ben Roethlisberger and Santonio Holmes before he was traded. The team did not look very good at times with Roethlisberger behind center including a five game losing streak that took the defending champions out of the playoff hunt.

If Leftwich is able to rally the troops and get the Steelers off to a strong start should Tomlin leave well enough alone?

It would be easy if Tomlin or Leftwich would publicly state their feelings one way or the other. Tomlin has said nothing on the issue; when Leftwich did speak he did little to clear things up.

"I don't know. That's not a decision for me but that's a good problem to have. It's a good problem to have and I'm quite sure [Roethlisberger will] say the same thing. You want to go out there and, every chance you get, get a chance to win football games because we're all in it for one thing. We're all trying to win football games and hopefully you can win a championship.”

http://www.playerpress.com/articles/9436-leftwich-vs-roethlisberger

pete74
06-06-2010, 05:28 AM
i dont care how well Leftwich does while ben is out, rothlisberger is our starter. Leftwich already proved numerous times that he can not be a consistent starter

Bubbabanjo
06-06-2010, 10:56 AM
IF.....Ben comes back in shape and ready....by then Leftwich may be banged up anyhow...our line is a mess.

Time will tell. We have bigger problems.....a secondary thats a siv. No running game. No run blocking. No pass rush.

Best reciever gone....for nuthin. Oooooooooooooooof.

steelcityboyz
06-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Ben is the starter when he gets back, period.

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-06-2010, 07:48 PM
IF.....Ben comes back in shape and ready....by then Leftwich may be banged up anyhow...our line is a mess.

Time will tell. We have bigger problems.....a secondary thats a siv. No running game. No run blocking. No pass rush.

Best reciever gone....for nuthin. Oooooooooooooooof.

Doom and gloom...the sky is falling.

1) Secondary that is a sieve: Correct me if I am mistaken, but we still ranked #18 against the pass last year, and had the #5 overall defense.

That same "sieve" is the defense that was #1 in every category a year ago. Also, looking at their past track record, I think it is safe to assume this roster of guys had a bad year last year, and that was the exception, rather than the norm.

Our secondary will be fine.....actually STELLAR.

2) No running game: Even in a pass-heavy offense (that telegraphs its running plays beforehand), Mendenhall averaged 4.6 YPC last year behind a patchwork offensive line, and finished the year with over 1000 yards. We added some more talent to our RB corps, some more muscle to our offensive line, and a renewed dedication to the run game.

Our running game will be fine....actually STELLAR.

3) No run blocking: See above. Mendenhall averaged 4/6 YPC in very obvious situations. The run blocking isn't that bad....that is one of our Oline's strengths as a matter of fact.

4) No pass rush: No need to comment at all.....foolish comment with little or no basis in reality. Couldn't be farther from the truth either....

5) Best receiver gone: Nope, we still have Hines Ward... Wallace might take that title this year too.

wootawnee
06-07-2010, 03:00 AM
Did you see the qb compition from 05 on nfl network?.......Lefty out threw Ben by about 8 yards in the deep ball comp......I bet the deep balls will be flying to Wallace the first 4 games..............

steel striker
06-08-2010, 04:55 PM
We will be fine and, look lefty was hurt last year. Plus the bucs are rebuilding.

snake12
06-08-2010, 06:50 PM
What if Byron wins the first four out of the gate?

pete74
06-08-2010, 06:58 PM
i think his only chance to play after ben's suspension is if he throws 4 perfect games. im talking 400 yards and 4 touchdowns in every game. if that happens they may have to ride him longer but i dont see it as a possibility because byron isnt that good

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-08-2010, 07:40 PM
i think his only chance to play after ben's suspension is if he throws 4 perfect games. im talking 400 yards and 4 touchdowns in every game. if that happens they may have to ride him longer but i dont see it as a possibility because byron isnt that good

I don't think that would even allow Leftoversandwich from taking Ben's job-- remember, they aren't going to willingly bench a $100 million man....