PDA

View Full Version : Can you identify this 70s Steelers Autograph?

jpavlansky
06-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I have an autograph from the 70s of a Steelers player. I was probably only about 6 or 7 when I got the signature, so I can't remember who it was, nor can I tell who it is.

I do know it is a Steelers player's autograph as I have 2 other player's autographs (L.C. Greenwood & Franco Harris), and Steelers autographs were the only autographs I/my dad cared about getting.

Here's a copy of their signature. If you can tell who this might have been, that would be awesome. I want to put it in a frame with his name underneath and give it as a gift.

Thank you for your help!

pete74
06-08-2010, 03:51 PM
try taking it to a card or sports collector maybe they can help

Big
06-08-2010, 04:17 PM
the only player from the 70's that it resembles is Lee Calland.....could it be an asst. coach?

Big
06-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Lee Calland played from '63 to '72

Big
06-08-2010, 04:21 PM
if you got autograph's at same time it had to be from the '72 season, the only year those 3 played together....(Calland, Greenwood, Harris)....it could be a player that got cut before the season started

86WARD
06-08-2010, 05:55 PM
deifintely not Lee Calland.

pete74
06-08-2010, 06:27 PM
im very curious to know who that is now

jpavlansky
06-09-2010, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the responses so far.
I was hoping it was Calland too, but looking at it again, I'm hard pressed to say the first name is Lee. Does Lee have a different/longer first name? Maybe he signed it with his full first name? I'm grasping at straws...
Big had a good idea though, maybe it was an asst coach? I assumed player, but I think really anyone on the Steelers team would have been worthy to go an autograph from if they came by locally...

Big
06-09-2010, 10:01 AM
looks like it reads Bill G Nallod

jpavlansky
06-09-2010, 10:37 AM
You're right, it does look like that name. Sorry for my ignorance ... who's that?

Big
06-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Its no one, just saying it looks like it........sorry for getting hopes up......just trying to solve the mystery....been bugging me since i read this thread.....thanks

jpavlansky
06-09-2010, 02:58 PM
Oh, Dang. LOL. no problem.
I've also sent this autograph to two supposed 'Steelers experts', so we'll see what they come up with. If they have any insights, I'll definitely update this thread.
Meanwhile, if anyone else feels like suggesting who this might be, that'd be greatly appreciated!

pete74
06-09-2010, 03:08 PM
yes please let us know if you find out

Big
06-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Oh yes, I gotta know!

jpavlansky
06-14-2010, 11:18 AM
OK guys,
I ended up finding out who it was and I have to say I need to apologize that he was not a Steeler after all, but a Pittsburgh Pirate. Ugh! It is Bill Madlock's autograph.
I put this autograph, along with Franco Harris and L.C. Greenwood's autographs in a frame for my brother (thinking they were all Steelers). I knew my brother would know who it was, but I didn't want to ask him, since it was a gift. Sure enough, as soon as he saw it he said, "oh that's Bill Madlock -- a Pittsburgh Pirate". Needless to say, I felt a little stupid, wasting so much time, and so many other people's time hunting down Steelers players. But at least the mystery is solved now!
Thanks for your time & help with this!

Big
06-14-2010, 12:11 PM
Yea, I can see Bill Matlock now that you provided the answer.....I'm a Reds fan so it didnt register.

Stlrs4Life
06-22-2010, 04:46 PM
OK guys,
I ended up finding out who it was and I have to say I need to apologize that he was not a Steeler after all, but a Pittsburgh Pirate. Ugh! It is Bill Madlock's autograph.
I put this autograph, along with Franco Harris and L.C. Greenwood's autographs in a frame for my brother (thinking they were all Steelers). I knew my brother would know who it was, but I didn't want to ask him, since it was a gift. Sure enough, as soon as he saw it he said, "oh that's Bill Madlock -- a Pittsburgh Pirate". Needless to say, I felt a little stupid, wasting so much time, and so many other people's time hunting down Steelers players. But at least the mystery is solved now!
Thanks for your time & help with this!

I read it as Bill Madlock before I read this post.

California-Steel
06-23-2010, 02:22 PM
Guess Bill was not to good at penmanship. His Bill can pass, but his Madlock is way off. Looks like Nallad or Nadlacl. No "K" at the end at all.