PDA

View Full Version : Reed says re-signing is a 50/50 chance

Big
06-10-2010, 07:29 AM
Jeff Reed hopes to sign a long-term contract with the Steelers. But the veteran kicker said it is not a foregone conclusion that he will be with the team following the 2010 season.

The Steelers used the franchise tag on Reed in February to keep the eight-year veteran from becoming an unrestricted free agent, and he later signed the one-year, $2.841 million deal that came with the designation.

The two sides have until July 15 to agree on a new contract, but when recently asked the chances of that happening, Reed said, "fifty-fifty."

"I want it to happen they want it to happen but I'm not just going to sign anything," said Reed, who made 27 of 31 field goal attempts last season.

The Steelers are not actively negotiating contracts with any players, and Reed did not give a number as far as what he is seeking.

Sebastian Janikowski may have raised the salary bar for kickers in February when he signed a four-year, $16 million deal with the Raiders.

If the Steelers and Reed do not agree on a new contract before the middle of July, he will play out his existing one and become a free agent.

"I feel like I'm a pretty valuable kicker to any team," Reed said, "and my heart's set on something specific that I think I'm worth and I won't deviate much from it."

He said his heart is also set on staying with the Steelers.

"If you can play your whole career in one uniform, that's pretty commendable," Reed said. "Even more than that this organization's classy, tons of character and top notch. I've heard a lot of stories about other organizations that I don't want to be a part of."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_685283.html

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
06-10-2010, 07:35 AM
I dont like paying a bunch of money for a kicker.... then again, when he makes clutch kicks you are glad you have him... Hopefully he will be signed

pete74
06-10-2010, 09:24 AM
I just wish he could kick a little further on kickoffs

billybob49
06-10-2010, 09:34 AM
Seems if you can get him into the 40-45 yard range he is somewhat money in the bank . His fieldgoal kicking at Heinz field is unrivaled . His weak leg on kick-offs is a lot of times deabilitating . Maybe he could use steeltoes on his kickoffs. Whatever happens will be . Jeff Reed threads bring back a lot of bad memories for me . There will be someone else to fill his shoes , if he decides he wants to leave . We will make an offer , and he will accept it , or not . Thats just the way it goes now a-days .

kirklandrules
06-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Why is it every time this guy opens his mouth he just comes across as a d-bag? I do like his field goal kicking ... especially in sloppy weather, but this guy doesn't reflect the Steelers organization. I'd line up his replacement who will probably be able to get kickoffs inside the ten on a fair number of kicks. Really, I was happy when Skippy would actually get a kickoff inside the 10 ... and that just sucks. Go sell your snakeoil elsewhere son.

STEEL-MAN
06-10-2010, 08:41 PM
a kicker should be glad to be in football! Good luck Reed, question is do you want to play for the Steelers?

truesteelerfan
06-11-2010, 12:15 PM
maybe he's the kind of guy who would rather be paid than win....If so...adios, we'll find someone else...we always do. I like him, but not enough to pay him crazy money like Oakland did. His inability on kickoffs makes him a slightly above average kicker at best. Great at getting points, poor at kickoffs = average kicker = average money.

steeltheone
06-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Bye Bye..See ya later!

Stinky Fred
06-12-2010, 08:08 PM
That Chezk kid can kick deep. Haven't seen him do a FG though.

The Duke
06-12-2010, 11:39 PM
Bye Bye..See ya later!

let me guess, he's too old :rolleyes:

Stinky Fred
06-13-2010, 09:33 AM
let me guess, he's too old :rolleyes:

Need to keek bol in endzone.

Stlrs4Life
06-13-2010, 10:51 AM
a kicker should be glad to be in football! Good luck Reed, question is do you want to play for the Steelers?

Exactly.

OX1947
06-14-2010, 12:07 PM
No kicker in the league should make more then 1 mil per. I would say 500K, but if they make big kicks that win super bowls, then that extra 500K is worth it. And thats actually my point. No kicker should make more then 500K a year, and that is generous. And then you can put clauses in the contract that say, if you kick your team into the super bowl with a last min FG, you get a 500K bonus. If you kick the winning FG in the super bowl, 1 mil bonus.

rick723
06-16-2010, 09:46 PM
I dont like paying a bunch of money for a kicker.... then again, when he makes clutch kicks you are glad you have him... Hopefully he will be signed

No sweat BBFW, ain't gonna come out of our pockets anyhow Haha!:rofl:

DanRooney
06-16-2010, 11:16 PM
That Chezk kid can kick deep. Haven't seen him do a FG though.

No he can't. He's not very accurate at kicking field goals either. He was basically schooled by Reed at every OTA which was cause for him to be released a few days ago.

rich4eagle
06-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Bye Bye..See ya later!

Agree the slug lost two games for us last year. He won NONE..........so why is worth anything.........kickers like him are easy to get...........good leg total liability on the field waving at people as they score TD's after he gets a FG:tt04::tt03:

sharkweek
06-17-2010, 11:15 PM
Getting a kicker is the easiest skill position to fill. Heck, a good punter is harder to come by.

Reed is also not getting any younger or saner, and last year was a liability more than an asset. I remember him missing two FGs that would have won us one game as well as just watching kick returners run right by him during the embarrassing streak of TD kick returns.

markymarc
06-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Jeff Reed should not be allowed to speak with the media. While he sounds like an idiot when talking, I would hate for us to lose Jeff Reed. Now a lot of fans will say how he needs to kick deeper on kickoffs, let's not forget that he is as clutch as it comes for field goals. The majority of kickers struggle in Heinz Field, but Jeff Reed has done a great job while being here.