PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben blames problems on immaturity

pete74
06-11-2010, 04:05 PM
PITTSBURGH (AP)—A contrite Ben Roethlisberger(notes) said he got caught up in being a caricature called Big Ben, not the grounded player and person he once was, leading to his off-field problems and affecting his play as the Steelers quarterback.

“Big Ben just kept building up. It ended up coming off the field. It kept taking over. Superman kept taking over Clark Kent and you just never saw who Ben Roethlisberger was any more,” Roethlisberger told KDKA-TV. “At the time, I didn’t see it. I was gaining everything but I was losing a lot of who I was raised to be. It got so overwhelming, it consumed me.”

In his first detailed interviews since a Georgia college student accused him of sexually assaulting her in a nightclub bathroom on March 5, Roethlisberger told two Pittsburgh stations he doesn’t have an alcohol problem. Before the alleged assault, Roethlisberger and his party ordered considerable amounts of alcohol.

When the NFL announced Roethlisberger’s six-game suspension on April 21, commissioner Roger Goodell said the quarterback was required to undergo evaluation. Neither the league nor Roethlisberger have detailed what was being evaluated or how long the evaluations would last.

While Roethlisberger told KDKA there were drinking issues on his late mother’s side of the family, he said his father, Ken, never permitted alcohol in their house, even when the quarterback played at Miami (Ohio).

Related Video Fantasy Football Live Fantasy Football Live

Fantasy playoff pickups

Our locks to win
More NFL Videos ADVERTISEMENT

Roethlisberger didn’t promise he wouldn’t use alcohol again, but said he must make “smart” decisions.

“Moving forward, you have to make sure you make the right decision, and that right decision is something I’m going to have to make, when that (alcohol) situation presents itself,” he told KDKA in an interview that was aired Thursday. “You can’t stop living, but you’ve got to live smart.”

He did promise he won’t go back to being the ego-driven, rude and boorish person he was before, not only in public but in private. Among those he has consulted for advice are former Steelers coach Bill Cowher—Roethlisberger said the two are much closer than they were before—and former Steelers running back Merril Hoge, now an NFL analyst.

The interviews were aired one day after 60 audio and video clips from the investigation were released by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. In several, his 20-year-old accuser said she felt powerless to stop a short-tempered Roethlisberger from having sex with her, even though she told him over and over again to stop.

Lawyers did not permit the questions to be asked, so the two-time Super Bowl winner was not asked about the Milledgeville, Ga., nightclub incident, although he faces no charges. But he said his family members know what happened that night.

Roethlisberger also hinted that living a role rather than living a life may have affected him on the field, too. The Steelers went 9-7 and missed the playoffs last season, one season after winning the Super Bowl, even though he had his best season statistically since being a first-round draft pick in 2004.

“I’ve wanted to apologize to them (fans) for so many things. For being immature, for being dumb, for being young, for not knowing any better,” he told WTAE. “For getting caught up in everything that was thrown my way. … In my heart, I know I haven’t been the best person, the best quarterback for the Steelers, I’m not talking just on the field, I’m talking off the field.”

Roethlisberger said he is sorry that his behavior hurt and saddened his parents, sister and other family members. His sister, Carlee, was a member of Oklahoma’s NCAA women’s basketball Final Four team, yet she told reporters he did not attend one of her games last season.

Already, he said, family members can tell a difference in him since the Georgia incident.

“My dad said to me about a month ago, it’s good to have my son back,” Roethlisberger told WTAE. “That killed me because my dad’s been my best friend. For him to say that to me really let me know I wasn’t who he raised me to be.”

Roethlisberger gave the interviews upon the advice of consultants hired to help him and the Steelers rebuild his badly damaged public image. He promised several times that fans won’t see the bad Roethlisberger—rather than the popular, championship-winning player of before—any longer.

“I know I’ve slipped, stumbled … but you’ll see a new Ben,” he told KDKA.

He also said it is important for him to regain his status as a role model, even though some parents have ordered their children not to wear his No. 7 jersey any longer. Some families chose to mail their jerseys to the Steelers as a sign of their disgust.

“Those chapters in my life, I’ve closed that book and I’m not opening them up,” he told WTAE. “It only matters what I do from here on out. That’s what I’m excited about—showing people, proving to people, fans, teammates, my family, the commissioner, everybody, who Ben Roethlisberger is. And that Ben is here to stay.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's game time! Sign up for Fantasy Football '10 today!

pete74
06-11-2010, 06:42 PM
this is a nice interview and im glad to see ben wanting to get his life back in order and hopefully win us a few more super bowls

Big
06-11-2010, 06:44 PM
:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit: :applaudit:

mikegrimey
06-12-2010, 10:35 AM
It's all good that he's committed to changing, but he hasn't really been tested yet.

The real test will come when he becomes successful and a big name again---then we'll see if he relapses or has really changed.

pete74
06-12-2010, 01:30 PM
exactly

pancake
06-12-2010, 05:04 PM
He has a long road back off the field, but America loves a comeback...

Prok
06-12-2010, 06:59 PM
I think it was huge of him to have the long discussion with coach Cowher. Nothing but good could come out of that discussion IMO.

Gotta say i was impressed with Ben after that interview.

Admittedly I was livid with him for putting himself in this damn situation twice. But i whole-heartidly believe he did not rape that girl.

He got the wake-up call he needed hopefully and we all can move on to even greater things in the future for the short-term turmoil we suffered recently.

I like the fact that he recognized us fans as well. He DID put us through hell.

BTW thanks for un-banning me Pete. While i did spam the board once it was out of frustration.

I wish no ill will towards any Steelers fans. I may even post a bit more if this place grows. And stays free. lol

:drink:

pete74
06-12-2010, 07:13 PM
I think it was huge of him to have the long discussion with coach Cowher. Nothing but good could come out of that discussion IMO.

Admittedly I was livid with him for putting himself in this damn situation twice. But i whole-heartidly believe he did not rape that girl.

He got the wake-up call he needed hopefully and we all can move on to even greater things in the future for the short-term turmoil we suffered recently.

BTW thanks for un-banning me Pete. While i did spam the board once it was out of frustration.

I wish no ill will towards any Steelers fans. I may even post a bit more if this place grows. And stays free. lol

agreed on both notes. we all know cower and ben wernt best of friends and to come together and talk like that was huge.

like you said, were all steeler fans 1st. were all here for the same reason and love the same team. my only regret is this offseason is dragging. as much as i love summer i cant wait for football to start up again

Prok
06-12-2010, 07:27 PM
agreed on both notes. we all know cower and ben wernt best of friends and to come together and talk like that was huge.

like you said, were all steeler fans 1st. were all here for the same reason and love the same team. my only regret is this offseason is dragging. as much as i love summer i cant wait for football to start up again

That was super impressive IMO. And like you said, we ALL know of Ben's problems with Cowher and Whis. That moment in SB XL comes to mind. Where Ben told Cowher to coach to win rather than coach not to lose is one example i can think of.

Just the fact that he has shown he can make ammends with those 2 speaks volumes IMO. And he even handled the Terry Bradshaw question great IMO.

I was just sitting there thinking to myself "I KNEW Ben was not as bad as the media portrayed him to be.

Stinky Fred
06-12-2010, 08:02 PM
Ben doesn't have a clue about what he did. He's just saying things he thinks will make the FO and fans accept him.

kevin
06-13-2010, 12:20 AM
I felt he was being phony also. First he blamed his alter ego "big ben" then he blamed coming from a small town then he blamed society for creating an atmosphere of entitlement for sports stars. Sounds to me like he has narcissistic and multiple personality disorders.

Stinky Fred
06-13-2010, 09:32 AM
I felt he was being phony also. First he blamed his alter ego "big ben" then he blamed coming from a small town then he blamed society for creating an atmosphere of entitlement for sports stars. Sounds to me like he has narcissistic and multiple personality disorders.

My issue is he failed to blame his inner asshole.

OX1947
06-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Ben has always been a phony. You could tell by his interviews from day 1. Fabricated ass hat. Now, what ever that was, didn't really effect me none, I'm a Steeler fan and I care about the Steelers #1 and he was winning for them. Most men in power are too insecure and stupid to live straight or "live smart" even though they have every resource to do so. All powerful men think they have to show their schlongs to as many females as they can to show everyone how BAD they are. Well, karma is a biznatch, and most of the time it really is a biznatch or bizatches who take you to the cleaners on your rep and money.

Now with that, and it may sound hypocritical from my above paragraph, i do not believe Ben has gotten a fair shake, pun intended. If you arent brought up on charges and there is no evidence of penal penetration, how is that rape? Or sexual assault? Is there evidence that he hit her? Is there evidence of anything that would conclude that? And why would someone wait 6 months to accuse someone of something AND not go criminal? Why civil only? Red flags, just like Ben's interviews since he became a pro show horse bleep from every side, which only proves one thing. DO NOT TRUST ANYONE!!!!! If you need your willie waxed, do what Chuck berry use to do, make them sign something and for the love of god WEAR a damn condom. If you are wearing a condom, you are less likely to get accused of rape. I mean what is the girl going to say, he slapped me and then went into his pocket and then opened the wrapper, took the condom out, put it on, I mean shit, its hard enough putting one on without trying to rape someone, is it logical that rape occurred if a guy bothers to put a jimmy hat on in process? Yah, no.

So, hopefully, he will continue the next 4 months of horse bleep cliche sorrys that his lame ass advisers tell him to repeat in every interview and once week 5 starts, we steeler fans can get back to normal and hopefully look forward to the 7th Lombardi trophy in Feb.

MJ5150
06-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Unimpressed, I am.

This incident happened just a couple months ago, and now he is mature? Uh huh.

-Mike

GodfatherofSoul
06-15-2010, 10:07 AM
Ben doesn't have a clue about what he did. He's just saying things he thinks will make the FO and fans accept him.

I don't know what he did either. He didn't rape that chick. He got a BJ in a club bathroom probably, maybe some sloppy drunk co-ed sex. The accusations were basically a media contrivance. You're surprised that the apology tour is any different? Ben hasn't matured, he's just learned the rules of the media game in soundbite, 24-hour gossip news America.

1.) Perception is reality.
2.) Media are interested in crafting story lines, not informing the public. If the truth is ugly or boring, you'd better give them something else to talk about.
3.) Reporters are vindictive, arrogant a-holes who will skewer you if you don't keep feeding them contrived sound bites to sustain their careers.

Compare the rape accusations against The Bus and Kobe Bryant. Essentially the same outcomes at the end, but to this day lots of people are convinced Kobe is a rapist.

tileyusa
06-15-2010, 12:12 PM
it's true, outside of being seemingly unable to speak to any member of the opposite sex. All you have to do is say I'm big ben, and then not say another word and one of the underage girls your hanging out with will think it's sexy and be willing(key word).

sharkweek
06-17-2010, 11:46 PM

Well that's assuming Cowher wasn't telling Ben he was going to return to coaching soon and convinced Ben to jump ship to whatever team he decides to coach. :flap:

steel striker
06-18-2010, 06:32 PM
What was he suppose to say? I mean let's get real here and, the bottom is line is what he does from here on out. I'm sure we have heard the last from the Bad Ben version. Ben knows what he has to do now play super and, act super great off the field. I'm sure he will do both and, win back alot of fans.

lasvegasguy
06-19-2010, 05:11 PM
"He did promise he won’t go back to being the ego-driven, rude and boorish person he was before, not only in public but in private. Among those he has consulted for advice are former Steelers coach Bill Cowher—Roethlisberger said the two are much closer than they were before—and former Steelers running back Merril Hoge, now an NFL analyst."

Ben consulted with Bill Cowher? Interesting? I wonder if Tomlin $hits the bed again this year will Ben push for the Steelers to talk to Cowher about a possible return. I mean it is the last year of Tomlin's contract? Would take Cowher in a minute over that fraud Mike Tomlin.

mikegrimey
06-20-2010, 10:03 AM
^ These things go back and forth in the crazy world of the NFL. I imagine if Tomlin has a good year this year a lot of people will take back their words. I recall a lot of calls for Cowher to be fired numerous times too---especially after the 6-10 2003 season---hell, even some people wanted his head after choking in a big game again after the 15-1 04 season.

I would agree that Tomlin needs to have the troops better prepared and motivated for EVERY GAME (how else to explain losing to all those inferior teams down the stretch last year and only narrowly beating the ones we did) but I wouldn't permanently label him a fraud just yet.

vrabinec
06-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Tank McNamara is capturing Ben perfectly with his "Tall Tom" cartoons:

http://www.gocomics.com/tankmcnamara/2010/06/17/

TackleMeBen
06-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Why didnt he blame his problems on himself.. not being immature or stupid. maybe ben should put this quote on his wall ... "Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean its the right thing to do"

supa_fly_steeler
06-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Why didnt he blame his problems on himself.. not being immature or stupid. maybe ben should put this quote on his wall ... "Just because you have the right to do something doesn't mean its the right thing to do"

you need to have a one on one discussion with ben and sort him out :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

pete74
06-22-2010, 06:26 PM
all he really did was get laid in a club bathroom which is something i did before so i cant look down on him for it. yes it was dumb since he should know the camera is always on him and there are many money hungry grubs out there but what he did isnt a crime in any way

supa_fly_steeler
06-22-2010, 06:49 PM
if tomlin keeps having bad years.

once lebeau retires and if the linebackers coach doesnt become defensive co-ordinator i would put tomlin defensive co-ordinator and cowher as head coach.

.... but tomlin i think does a good job.

you cant really blame him...

when ike taylor does a feeble push to try get the player out of bounds when a tackle would of done.... yet he does a feeble push.... the player regains control..... instead of a 4 yard gain turns it into a 74 yard gain.........

TackleMeBen
06-22-2010, 07:21 PM
you need to have a one on one discussion with ben and sort him out :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:
me and my wok would probably get our point across within 5 minutes.

supa_fly_steeler
06-23-2010, 05:28 PM
me and my wok would probably get our point across within 5 minutes.

I would say 15 mins lol

AndyWitmyer
06-25-2010, 11:37 PM
I think if Ben was (and remains) sincere in what he said about the person he was these last few years, then color me impressed. It's striking to see a man who was once nearly out of control, take the reigns by confessing his sins and acknowledging that he's an imperfect creature (or in other words, a human being). If he sticks to these words - and makes them more than words - then I think Ben might very well blossom into the QB we all know he can be... and then some. By removing the many distractions that his former self confronted, Ben may fully reach his potential and prove to the world that he's better than most are presently willing to admit.

GO BEN!!!! :tt02: