PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger: Offense Will Be Stronger This Year

Big
06-11-2010, 07:24 PM
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ―
KDKA

Ben Roethlisberger says he's not sure what to expect from fans the next time he is in a Steelers uniform at Heinz Field; but he does think the Steelers offense will be better in 2010.

Roethlisberger is suspended for at least the first four games of the upcoming season; but when he returns, he expects to lead a more effective offense.

KDKA's Bob Pompeani: If I were to tell you last year, you'd be a 4,000 yard passer -- that you'd have a 1,000 yard receiver, a 1,000 yard rusher, and you wouldn't make the playoffs. Would that add up to you?

Ben Roethlisberger: "No, not at all. People want to talk so much about the offense and everything, but you sit there and name it. I think we had two 1,000 yard receivers, a 1,000 yard rusher and me throwing for 4,000 yards. I'm pretty sure it's the most prolific offense in Steeler history. I would assume so numbers-wise; but to me in particular, I'll throw all those numbers away for playoffs or a Super Bowl."

In his season-ending evaluation, Steelers President Art Rooney II was adamant about getting more out of the run game.

Roethlisberger agrees, but not at the expense of getting away from the passing game.

"I don't think so. The league is always evolving and right now the league is evolving into a passing league," the Steelers quarterback adds.

"And if you try to sit back -- in the 70s, that worked, the running the ball and pounding it, what do you say 'Pile of dirt and 3 yards,' 'Three yards and a pile of dust?' Whatever the old saying is -- I was too young for that; but you can't win with that anymore. You have to be able to run the ball effectively, and I think that was the key that Bruce and Mr. Rooney and Coach Tomlin tried to get across this off-season and at the end of the year. Not necessarily to run the ball more, but we need to run the ball more effectively."

But will the Steelers be able to pass as effectively as last year -- considering they lost a former Super Bowl MVP?

Roethlisberger says he expects Tight End Heath Miller to continue to step up and set a career record for catches and touchdowns

"Heath gets better every year. I still sit here and demand every year and talk about Pro Bowls for him because he is a Pro Bowl tight end. The more speed we have on the outside and the more dynamic we are on the outside opens it up more for Heath. And we have to base a lot of this offense around Heath Miller because he is so good at what he does -- and that's catching touchdowns."

Despite all of their offense production last year, the Steelers stumbled with a mid- to late-season five-game losing streak before ending with three consecutive victories.

Looking back, Roethlisberger says turnovers were the issue. "We just kind of hit a little bit of a wall and we started to turn it back on, but it was too little too late."

"The league is funny because it's all about when you get hot and we've had years when we've made runs and we were getting hot -- but just a little too late."

http://kdka.com/steelers/Ben.Roethlisberger.Steelers.2.1746387.html

California-Steel
06-12-2010, 02:09 AM
Ben is stupid. Rooney said run the ball, not make that crap run game you did work more effectivly. Hell we had a 1000 yard rusher. Plus add in Willies few hundred yards and it looks like on paper that we had an effective run game.

They need run the ball when the ball needs to be run. Not get all fancy with the pass on 2 and 1 or in a wind storm.

We will see how the O run for the 1st 4 weeks.

pete74
06-12-2010, 04:47 AM
i agree, we will have a great offensive this year and if the defense stays healthy we will be the most dangerous team in the NFL

mikegrimey
06-12-2010, 02:38 PM
I know it seems like a lot of people wildly misinterpret the "we need to run more" demand from Rooney. I think what most of us want isn't a return to the I formation run on first and second down every drive, but we definitely need a more effective run game in the red zone, which was flat out atroscious last year.
Other than the Chargers game I can't think of any of Mendenhall's 7 or so touchdowns that he didn't have to scrape and fight for. We definitely need better situational running and blocking, like inside the 20's and in short yardage situations.

I don't think Rooney or any of the coaches want a complete overhaul and regression that would fit a game manager more than an all star like Ben Roethlisberger.

Now onto Ben's claim, i'll believe it when I see it. Since Tomlin/Arians took over the offence it's been the same story---put up good yardage, but settling for field goals instead of touchdowns and bad execution inside the 20, particularly with runnning plays (I think Willie Parker was leading the league in rushing in 2007 but only had a paltry 2 touchdown runs). If we can become a consistent force inside the red zone I think we can post 11-12 wins next year.

pete74
06-12-2010, 02:49 PM
I know it seems like a lot of people wildly misinterpret the "we need to run more" demand from Rooney. I think what most of us want isn't a return to the I formation run on first and second down every drive, but we definitely need a more effective run game in the red zone, which was flat out atroscious last year.
Other than the Chargers game I can't think of any of Mendenhall's 7 or so touchdowns that he didn't have to scrape and fight for. We definitely need better situational running and blocking, like inside the 20's and in short yardage situations.

I don't think Rooney or any of the coaches want a complete overhaul and regression that would fit a game manager more than an all star like Ben Roethlisberger.

Now onto Ben's claim, i'll believe it when I see it. Since Tomlin/Arians took over the offence it's been the same story---put up good yardage, but settling for field goals instead of touchdowns and bad execution inside the 20, particularly with runnning plays (I think Willie Parker was leading the league in rushing in 2007 but only had a paltry 2 touchdown runs). If we can become a consistent force inside the red zone I think we can post 11-12 wins next year.

i remember that year because i had Parker on my fantasy team and was so mad. he had a 1300 yard season but only 2 touchdowns

pancake
06-12-2010, 05:01 PM
i remember that year because i had Parker on my fantasy team and was so mad. he had a 1300 yard season but only 2 touchdowns

I had Parker too that year... :banging:

pancake
06-12-2010, 05:03 PM
I don't think our Offense will be better, but I just hope it is close to last years and if our Defense stays healthy and gets better, then we could be knocking on the door to #7.

Stinky Fred
06-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Need to pound the rock.

Steelerfreak58
06-13-2010, 02:14 AM
He was spot on about Heath Miller though! The guy is so clutch and beyond ridiculously good such an underutilized weapon it is sad.

pete74
06-13-2010, 05:33 AM
He was spot on about Heath Miller though! The guy is so clutch and beyond ridiculously good such an underutilized weapon it is sad.

agreed. i think Miller is one of the top 3 best tight ends in the NFL and needs to be used alot more often. he is the all around perfect tight end. he rarley ever drops a pass, he blocks like a lineman and he is very hard to take down. i really hope he has a great year and gets voted to the probowl this year

Stinky Fred
06-13-2010, 09:20 AM

That tears it! Fire Arians!!

sharkweek
06-17-2010, 11:53 PM
Ben is stupid. Rooney said run the ball, not make that crap run game you did work more effectivly. Hell we had a 1000 yard rusher. Plus add in Willies few hundred yards and it looks like on paper that we had an effective run game.

They need run the ball when the ball needs to be run. Not get all fancy with the pass on 2 and 1 or in a wind storm.

We will see how the O run for the 1st 4 weeks.

sounds like you might be stupid too

you can drive the ball 90 yards with just run plays a couple times in a game and rack up monster ground yards, but if you can't punch it in on the ground and have to settle for field goals, I would call that ineffective.

Running the ball when they're stacking ~9 guys in the box generally won't add up to an effective run play...

Theres nothing wrong with passing on early downs as long as we're trying to exploit weaknesses the defense is showing - if they're stacking the box on early downs we should be passing. Its not rocket surgery.

sharkweek
06-17-2010, 11:57 PM
I don't think our Offense will be better, but I just hope it is close to last years and if our Defense stays healthy and gets better, then we could be knocking on the door to #7.

last year our offense racked up a lot of yards but wasn't particularly good at converting TDs in the redzone, there's always room for improvement

pete74
06-18-2010, 04:22 AM
exactly,that was the problem. we moved the ball fairly well but once we got inside the red zone something would change.

markymarc
06-26-2010, 11:40 AM
I have no concerns with our 2010 offense even with Ben sitting out the first 4 games. All that I ask for is a very healthy defense and return to dominating opposing offenses.

thebus36idf
06-26-2010, 01:12 PM
The Jets went to the Championship game with Steelers style football. Ben should just keep his mouth shut, and play as he is told. The Steelers won Superbowls with Ben managing games. His first year he almost went unbeaten with DEFENSE AND RUNNING. The quicker he humbles himself, and works with a team instead of thinking he is the team the better off we'll be!

thebus36idf
06-26-2010, 01:19 PM
sounds like you might be stupid too

you can drive the ball 90 yards with just run plays a couple times in a game and rack up monster ground yards, but if you can't punch it in on the ground and have to settle for field goals, I would call that ineffective.

Running the ball when they're stacking ~9 guys in the box generally won't add up to an effective run play...

Theres nothing wrong with passing on early downs as long as we're trying to exploit weaknesses the defense is showing - if they're stacking the box on early downs we should be passing. Its not rocket surgery.

Nice response starting with name calling. Ben has proven his stupidity. Our defense wore out because they were on the field to long. The result of to much passing. We need to run more off the clock. Also we were ineffective at punching the ball those couple of yards when we needed too. Which made us pass happy in the redzone. Polamalu agrees with this, and right now I would take Troys advice over Bens.

LVSteelersfan
06-27-2010, 01:03 AM
I still blame Arians for stupid playcalling in the red zone. His playcalling is absolutely horrendous and predictable so that everyone watching the game knows exactly what play is coming when they line up. If we know what is coming, the defense surely knows whats coming. That is stupid red zone coaching.

mikegrimey
06-27-2010, 02:05 AM
[

Nice response starting with name calling. Ben has proven his stupidity. Our defense wore out because they were on the field to long. The result of to much passing. We need to run more off the clock. Also we were ineffective at punching the ball those couple of yards when we needed too. Which made us pass happy in the redzone. Polamalu agrees with this, and right now I would take Troys advice over Bens.

Weren't we 4th in the league in overall TOP last year?

Our offesnse last year was certainly better and more effective than the 08 version, and I don't recall the defense getting worn out that often then. In fact, I remember our defense keeping us in games despite our offense repeatedly going 3 and out (eagles game, giants game, ravens games, dallas game). In fact, our 08 offense was at times downright gut wrenching to watch. We ran WORSE than we did in 09 and weren't as explosive in the passing game. Yet we still went 12-4 and won the Superbowl. The defense didn't slow down because of a sometimes good, sometimes mediocre, but clutch offense.

It's unfair to blame our porous defense last year on the offense and particularly TOP, when we were the 4th best team in the league at holding onto the ball. The D has other problems, ranging from aging stars to one of the worst secondaries we've fielded in years.
Can you really explain those sudden 4th quarter meltdowns against Cincinatti, San Diego, Minnessota (I know we forced two turnovers for TDs but they marched down the field on us on those two drives) and the raiders on lack of offense? The 08 defense didn't choek against tough offenses, but in 09 our D folded against weaklings.