PDA

View Full Version : Top Names in Steelers Lore.....

MDSteel15
06-12-2010, 09:41 AM
And no I am not talking about Mean Joe Greene or Terry Bradshaw! But more like names that make you say "What was his mamma thinking?"

Like my first entry: Weegie Thompson

How in the world do you come up with Weegie as a name??? And he wasn't a slouch either, according to H.O.F safety Ronnie Lott....

Hall of Fame safety Ronnie Lott gushes when he talks about Thompson. In Thompson's rookie season, 1984, the Steelers were the only team to beat the 49ers. One reason they did was by assigning Thompson to block Lott on every play. "He blocked my butt all day -- and fair," Lott remembered. "Every play, he came after me. And I respect the hell out of Weegie Thompson to this day. He's one of the toughest guys I ever played against." [1]

wootawnee
06-13-2010, 12:50 AM
Plaxico sure is different..........So is Lethon Flowers...How about Hardy Nickerson?.....I never new any pople with those names.....How bout Hugh Lickiss.....I dont know if he ever made the team though..........

Stinky Fred
06-13-2010, 09:28 AM
Dick Shiner

MDSteel15
07-02-2010, 05:51 PM
Dick Shiner

It was Shriner! :banging:

WeegiesWarriors
07-03-2010, 07:47 AM
I'm kind of partial to old Weegie. His name is Willis. His younger sib would pronounce it Weegie and it stuck.

Weegie was a tall WR for his day, but slow as molasses. He gave maximum effort and that's why I like him.