PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey Shows Maturity

pete74
06-12-2010, 07:16 PM
http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/23866205/detail.html

Maurkice Pouncey has yet to play a snap in the NFL, but it appears the Steelers rookie already has the jump on some of his first-round predecessors.

Head coach Mike Tomlin said Thursday that Pouncey, the 18th overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, is more mature football-wise than either running back Rashard Mendenhall or linebacker Lawrence Timmons were as rookies drafted in the first round.

"I think he has proven to be mature beyond his years," Tomlin said of Pouncey, who turns 21 next month. "His level of football of maturity probably exceeds that of some 20-year-old first round picks we've had in recent years, like Lawrence Timmons and Rashard Mendenhall."

The Steelers drafted Mendenhall at No. 23 in 2008 and took Timmons at No. 15 in 2007.

Pouncey, who Tomlin called a "pleasant surprise," will get the chance to start on the Steelers offensive line this season, most likely at right guard, but possibly at center.

Pouncey played right guard at the University of Florida before moving to center for the Gators.

He was awarded the Rimington Trophy in 2009, which is given to the player considered to be the best center in college football.

Stinky Fred
06-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Maybe Ben should watch some Maurkice film so he knows what maturity is.

pete74
06-13-2010, 05:38 AM
im really hoping Pouncey ends up being a probowl center. we really need to upgrade our offensive line and it starts with the center position. if he can hold our line down for the next 12-15 years then we can build a great line around him.

steeltheone
06-13-2010, 07:40 AM
I just want to see one of our first round pics on the field before year 3.

Stinky Fred
06-13-2010, 09:18 AM

And in our uniform.

austinfrench76
06-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Pouncey is going to be a stud!

pete74
06-13-2010, 05:59 PM

i agree and think Pouncey will be one. we definatly need to get our young guys out there earlier now that we have an aging defense and a horrible line. i see Pouncey starting at RG almost immediatly but i would much rather see him at center

Tone's Toes
06-13-2010, 06:50 PM
I'd rather he play center than RG, but it's not my call. He was a good, safe pick and will have a very good career if he stays healthy. Saying he's more mature and that his level of football is better than Timmons and Mendenhall's was when they were rookies really isn't saying much if you remember the disaster rookie years that those 2 had.

steeltheone
06-14-2010, 07:25 PM
Timmons and Mendy both got hurt their rookie year. Mendy was out the year.

Tone's Toes
06-15-2010, 02:07 PM
^ Yes, but Mendy was fumbling everything and neither Mendy or Timmons were ready to start in the NFL as rookies. Pouncey likely is ready to start from day 1.