PDA

View Full Version : Antonio Brown

Big
06-14-2010, 04:44 PM
Antonio Brown is accustomed to fighting long odds to reach his goals. It’s something he’s been doing all of his life.

Growing up in Miami, Brown had to scratch and claw to draw interest from colleges in the talent-rich football area. And even when he did draw that interest, the 5-10, 185-pound Brown was forced to go a non-traditional route to reach his ultimate goal, the NFL

.................................................. Coming out of Norland High School in Miami, where he was a two-time Class 6A all-state selection, Brown had offers to play college football from a handful of major colleges. But he didn’t qualify under NCAA academic standards so he decided instead to enroll at North Carolina Tech.

A quarterback, Brown ran for 451 yards and 13 touchdowns while throwing for 1,247 yards and 11 more scores in just five games

...................At Central Michigan...............Brown, who declared for the draft after his junior season, finished his career with 305 catches for 3,199 yards, hauling in a pass in 41 consecutive games. He accounted for touchdowns receiving, rushing, passing and on both kickoff and punt returns. There was little doubt he was a special player.

“I love returning,” Brown said. “I pride myself on being a special player and special players play special teams. I can return, I can play receiver. I’m trying to cultivate my role. Whatever will help the team get better. Any opportunity that is presented to me, I’m going to take advantage of it.”

His return ability – he had 3,434 yards and five touchdowns on returns alone for the Chippewas – intrigues the Steelers

“He is an exceptional player with the football in his hands. He’s one of those natural guys at fielding punts and kickoff returns,” said Steelers first-year wide receivers coach Scottie Montgomery. “There’s a lot of things you can do from a coaching standpoint, but if they can’t get to the spot and catch it, then you can’t really help a lot of them. He is one of those guys that does have the natural ability to catch it. He has great short-space quickness.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/977231.html

.................................................. ...

This is only about 1/5 of the article but it is a subscription site and it's not fair to them to post the whole thing. Just wanted to share some of it because I think this guy is going to be special.

pete74
06-14-2010, 06:23 PM
i think he will end up being a better wr then sanders

billybob49
06-14-2010, 09:25 PM
I don't know much about the guy , but it appears he may have tons of upside . Hope he pans out even more than most expect .

Stinky Fred
06-15-2010, 09:20 PM
I like this choice.

If Hines, ARE and Brown were on the field, we'd have 4 QBs out there. You'd think our brain trust could cook something interesting up.

markymarc
06-26-2010, 11:11 AM
I understand that we haven't reached training camp yet, but Antonio Brown will make the final 53 man roster. With his return ability, I feel he will knock Stefan Logan off the team. I see us keeping 6 wide receivers in 2010 and they will include Hines Ward, Mike Wallace, Antwaan Randle El, Arnaz Battle, Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown.

SteelKnight
08-20-2010, 06:16 AM
I wish Tomlin would just throw Brown in there with the first unit as the slot receiver. If he's confident, let's see what he can do. I'm sure he'd like to catch from Ben.

All ARE does is slow down the evaluation process. I want a hot comp for #3 by Sanders and Brown.

Tone's Toes
08-20-2010, 07:05 AM
We have to be leading the league in short space quickness. It's all Tomlin and the assistants ever blab about.

Merchant
08-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Impressive credentials for a 6th round pick. It'll be interesting to see how this one pans out.

SteelKnight
08-20-2010, 12:49 PM
I'm excited. And if Brown turns out to be the star instead of Sanders so be it. Last year I was distracted rooting for Sweed over Wallace before finally giving in. Really i don't care. I like Sanders but if Brown sows up...take it.

I just want a spark. Lefty is missing something.

whatdoiknow
08-20-2010, 12:50 PM
I can't say if he will be better than Snders. But no one can say Sanders has a better pedigree either. Both will have to earn it. All I know is Brown was the only real weapon on his college team. He did everything, including passing the ball on occasion and running it very well. I had Brown on my own radar during the draft as a
" Sleeper " WR prospect before Sanders. But time will tell us everything on Brown. One thing that does please me is that the kid seems to have a chip on his shoulder. A desire to succeed that even Sanders doesn't seem to have as much as Brown does. Of course that does not mean that Sanders is not driven. I just think Brown has it in him to succeed no matter what. I just hope it is here, in Pittsburgh.

SteelKnight
08-20-2010, 01:01 PM
I can't say if he will be better than Snders. But no one can say Sanders has a better pedigree either. Both will have to earn it. All I know is Brown was the only real weapon on his college team. He did everything, including passing the ball on occasion and running it very well. I had Brown on my own radar during the draft as a
" Sleeper " WR prospect before Sanders. But time will tell us everything on Brown. One thing that does please me is that the kid seems to have a chip on his shoulder. A desire to succeed that even Sanders doesn't seem to have as much as Brown does. Of course that does not mean that Sanders is not driven. I just think Brown has it in him to succeed no matter what. I just hope it is here, in Pittsburgh.

I like a little confidence in a receiver...so long as he is not stupid when running his mouth. I said that when we drafted Sweed...that I wish he was more confident.

Forget that humble the rookie nonsense. He should pay respect but still have confidence in himself. Wallace is a perfect example.

Sanders appears confident too. I like that. He was already calling himself a playmaker before camp. I like it. Just go back it up.

When are Brown and Sanders going to get their chance with the first team...slot package. We already know what ARE can do. Frankly I would like to see speed in that spot. Nate Washington and Wallace both has speed. We can't go to ARE.

I think ARE should be there as insurance in case Ward gets injured...back up flanker who is inactive for games. He is a good route runner...slow...= flanker.

I like that Ben and Battle seem to connect well so that means ARE should be last.

SteelKnight
08-20-2010, 01:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugD_KR4D8LI

SteelKnight
08-20-2010, 10:18 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U172KCi1mks

pancake
08-21-2010, 04:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U172KCi1mks

I love to watch his returns. This kid looks to be a player! :tt04:

SteelKnight
08-21-2010, 08:13 AM
I love to watch his returns. This kid looks to be a player! :tt04:

Let's hope he looks good tonight. I think to reward him, Tomlin should give him ARE's slot spot with the first team for this game to test him out for real. He'd still be going against the 3rd CB but at least we would know whether we should be excited.

pancake
08-21-2010, 05:44 PM
Let's hope he looks good tonight. I think to reward him, Tomlin should give him ARE's slot spot with the first team for this game to test him out for real. He'd still be going against the 3rd CB but at least we would know whether we should be excited.

I agree... I think he will get more playing time and some with the starter as long as he continues to show progress.

The only problem I have with rookie WR, is that not seeing the blitz and not switching to hot routes.

SteelKnight
08-21-2010, 09:07 PM
I agree... I think he will get more playing time and some with the starter as long as he continues to show progress.

The only problem I have with rookie WR, is that not seeing the blitz and not switching to hot routes.

They don't always give the slot guy hot route assignments. Wallace had none last year.

StainlessStill
08-21-2010, 09:39 PM
One thing I realized about Brown is body language. He has quick feet and seems to have a knack at making plays happen. Looks to be a downright STEAL in the draft.

steeltheone
08-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Oh no there is that STEAL word....Dont jinx him like they did Dwyer...

pancake
08-22-2010, 01:29 PM
I love his no fear approach to his returns.

adamsteve14
08-22-2010, 01:47 PM
I appreciate his mentality on returns: It seems like he goes forward first, get through the first wave and find daylight, as opposed to guys like ARE who want to sideways first.

StainlessStill
08-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Oh no there is that STEAL word....Dont jinx him like they did Dwyer...

There's always assumptions with getting a player like Drywer in the draft that late to where we got him, since he was projected to go early. After watching Brown man up and completley take his skill set and turn it into his favor on the field is a different kind of meaning to steal. We now know what we have from our rookies.

Downbylaw
08-22-2010, 03:41 PM
Yes, I like this guy! He is electric. We have some good young talent. Thadeus looks like he will be a beast, just in time to relive Deebo. Our future is looking bright, I must say.

SteelKnight
08-24-2010, 01:36 AM
From Ed Bouchette

--- The coaches believe Antonio Brown is not smart enough to grasp the routes he has to run as a wide receiver. I’m told his roster spot is in jeopardy because of it. Look, Steelers coaches once explained that Johnny Unitas wasn’t smart enough either before they released him. Brown is on my team, if for nothing else right now than as a return man. Let’s hope the coaches come around to that way of thinking. Brown showed a good burst right off the ball on his returns and made good decisions where to run. Stefan Logan, for all his speed and quickness, has neither of those two attributes.

whatdoiknow
08-24-2010, 01:48 AM
From Ed Bouchette

--- The coaches believe Antonio Brown is not smart enough to grasp the routes he has to run as a wide receiver. Iím told his roster spot is in jeopardy because of it. Look, Steelers coaches once explained that Johnny Unitas wasnít smart enough either before they released him. Brown is on my team, if for nothing else right now than as a return man. Letís hope the coaches come around to that way of thinking. Brown showed a good burst right off the ball on his returns and made good decisions where to run. Stefan Logan, for all his speed and quickness, has neither of those two attributes.

And you actually believe that ? No way does ANY Coach use the phrase, a player is not smart enough. Especially about a 1st year rookie. Cause he's only been in camp for two weeks. And if Brown was so dumb as to not know routes or plays, then why is he playing so much in pre-season games ? Why not young WR Vets like Grisham or Landon ? The whole story seems " Hinky " to me.

SteelKnight
08-24-2010, 02:18 AM
And you actually believe that ? No way does ANY Coach use the phrase, a player is not smart enough. Especially about a 1st year rookie. Cause he's only been in camp for two weeks. And if Brown was so dumb as to not know routes or plays, then why is he playing so much in pre-season games ? Why not young WR Vets like Grisham or Landon ? The whole story seems " Hinky " to me.

Bouchette does seem to carry a grudge against Brown. When he was doing well he said he thinks he is a "****y kid". He might have gotten snubbed and then some insider might have told him that he won't make the field because he keeps messing up plays and he posted it.

I agree that shouldn't be used with a rookie. Even if he is no genius, I know there are a lot of NFL players that are not that smart and they eventually get the playbook.

Fire Arians
08-24-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm happy that the new WR's seem to be able to catch the freakin' ball. After seeing plax (during his 1st year) and limas peed (who peed the bed as a toddler, and still does), i almost grown to expect to never see a rookie WR that could catch. Sure wallace could but figured that was a freak accident.

SteelKnight
08-26-2010, 09:27 PM
Tomlin still isn't starting either WR at the slot. It's annoying. He is making each of them (Brown and Sanbders) learn a second position which isn't the slot (the position that's open)

He is moving Brown to SE and Sanders to Flanker?

Hello? How about letting either challenge ARE at slot. That's just a third position for them to learn.

I would have been happy if both of them came in and just learned slot this year. That's what Wallace did.

pete74
08-27-2010, 08:08 AM
I would like to see one as slot. Actually as long as they play well I'm happy. We have 5 potential future starters and maybe 6 from this draft. That is unheard of. Teams are lucky if they hav 2 draft picks starting 3 years after there draft. If everything keeps going the way it is this may end up being one of the steelers best drafts ever

SacknificentStew56
08-27-2010, 09:51 AM
I had much bigger hopes that Sanders would've been returning kicks but Brown has been much more impressive in that department.

SteelKnight
08-27-2010, 01:32 PM
I would like to see one as slot. Actually as long as they play well I'm happy. We have 5 potential future starters and maybe 6 from this draft. That is unheard of. Teams are lucky if they hav 2 draft picks starting 3 years after there draft. If everything keeps going the way it is this may end up being one of the steelers best drafts ever

Yeah..true.

I started a thread about 2007 too. We produced 4 starters and 2 2nd string contributors. As of last year it was 5 starters and 1 ST contributor.

Starters, Timmons, Woodley, Sepulveda, McBean (Denver), Gay.
2nd string contributor: Spaeth (will be Gay this year)
Only bust: Stephenson

Downbylaw
08-27-2010, 10:42 PM
I'd like to see Wallace, Ward, Sanders and Brown, Randle El at 5. Randle El sucks to me

Fire Arians
08-27-2010, 11:00 PM
I'd like to see Wallace, Ward, Sanders and Brown, Randle El at 5. Randle El sucks to me

i think everybody hopes that. best case scenario possible is the younger players stepping up to be big time players

and of course, ward continuing to be ward

Downbylaw
08-29-2010, 07:14 AM
Logan doesnt have a good showing these last two games, he is good as GONE.

The Lakelander
08-29-2010, 07:37 AM
Wow ... I'm blown away at times by the negative comments ...

Randle El sucks? :doh: Are you kidding me? As a 3rd or even 4th WR?

I agree with the sentiment that Antonio Brown should stay and Logan should go.

If you look carefully at Logan you realize he is not a game breaker ... why? ... because he isn't a long strider. The best kick return guys in the NFL can run a 100 yard dash in a blink ... Logan's legs are too short, so he has to take about twice as many steps to run a 100 yard dash.

Logan is an oompa loompa with a big heart. He was playing in the CFL for a reason ... and the Steelers scouts got caught up in this mistake! Last year the Logan experiment cost Isaac Redman a roster spot ... and we damn near could have lost Redman as a result.

There are far more dangerous kick returners across the NFL ... all of them can blow Logan away in a 100 yard dash ... and a few of them are "lightning in a bottle". Logan is mere scutter bug.

Downbylaw
08-29-2010, 08:41 AM

If you look carefully at Logan you realize he is not a game breaker ... why? ... because he isn't a long strider. The best kick return guys in the NFL can run a 100 yard dash in a blink ... Logan's legs are too short, so he has to take about twice as many steps to run a 100 yard dash.

Logan is an oompa loompa with a big heart. He was playing in the CFL for a reason ... and the Steelers scouts got caught up in this mistake! Last year the Logan experiment cost Isaac Redman a roster spot ... and we damn near could have lost Redman as a result.

There are far more dangerous kick returners across the NFL ... all of them can blow Logan away in a 100 yard dash ... and a few of them are "lightning in a bottle". Logan is mere scutter bug.

Speed is not the most important thing in kick off returning. Blocking and vision is. The fastest guys in the league are not the best returners historically. How fast is Ed Reed? Not very but when he gets a pick, he is known for taking it to the house. He also returns punts in a crunch as does short Steve Smith of the Panthers. Santonio Holmes is also solid in that regard and he is not that fast. And yes, I think Randle El sucks. He is slow, too short and has alligator arms over the middle at times. I much prefer Sanders or Brown.

SteelKnight
08-29-2010, 11:13 AM

Yeah. ARE is not very good. He could be a good #4WR.

When you look at his stats, you'll see that he and Wallace have caught the same number of passes 40 yards or more over the course of their careers. The problem is Wallace did it in one season as a non-Starter while ARE did it in 8 seasons.

I think he would do OK as back up flanker.

If you are looking for him to come in and play the slot like Nate or Wallace, you'll be disappointed. Santonio used to run a lot of short to medium crossing patterns in the 3WR sets. i hope when they go to 3, they let ARE run those patterns and let Wallace run the deep routes.

Downbylaw
08-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Agreed. Our 3wr set was deadly last season

MasterOfPuppets
08-29-2010, 01:35 PM

:coffee:

He was playing in the CFL for a reason

and redmen went undrafted for a reason.

The Lakelander
08-29-2010, 07:51 PM
:coffee:

and redmen went undrafted for a reason.

Yeah, he played at a school that NFL scouts pilgrimage to in flocks.

And you'll note that while I critiqued Logan, I never said he "sucked".

Get my point Master of Pimples?

steelcity1974
08-30-2010, 08:17 AM
Logan had the best return year in Steelers history last year. And that's not good enough for some of you. Unbelievable. Last preseason all you saw on these boards was how great Logan was. Then, he goes out and delivers during the 2009 season. And now you guys want Brown? WTF?