PDA

View Full Version : Polamalu Want Steelers To Return To Grind Days

pete74
06-15-2010, 03:01 PM
Five-time Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu(notes) says the Steelers lost their way last season and must again build game plans around running the ball, making big plays on defense and winning the field-position battle on special teams.

"We have a pretty good formula here how to win," Polamalu told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "That doesnít change from year to year or from decade to decade. Weíve had our formula here and itís been good to us.

"I think itís unique, no question. Especially in todayís game. People donít think that you can, for the most part, have a really smothering defense. But, with the smothering defense, you canít have a pass-happy offense. For example, you would think you could take a great defense and mesh them together, but our defense would not work well with a New England Patriots offense or Indianapolis Colts offense. They may put up a lot of points, but it takes a lot more energy to play our defense than a Tampa 2-type defense."

In other words, Polamalu says the team should stop throwing the ball so often. Last year, the offense ranked seventh in the NFL in passing but 19th in rushing.

Steelerfreak58
06-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Ground and pound eats up clock time converting on 3rd down keeps the defense off the field and fresh for the 4th quarter and their D on the field and tired in the 4th. I can see where Troy is coming from. I love seeing a balanced attack with a dominating run game myself. When you can run the ball effectively it intimidates the opposition.

I hope we can get back to that dominating running game. I think we have the tools to do so the commitment just has to be there.

Stinky Fred
06-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Heed wise counsel of angry pineapple.

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-16-2010, 12:09 AM
The Steelers ranked 4th in the league last year in time of possession...while I agree with Troy about what type of offense meshes well with our defense's style, I think Troy is just being a good sport and does not want to just come out and say: "Our defense stunk it up last year...."

pete74
06-16-2010, 04:26 AM
^^^agreed. our offense was decent last year. it would of been nice to see a more balanced attack but we were still really good. our defense on the other hand was horrible against the pass

scsteeler
06-16-2010, 11:02 AM
I agree that running the ball is a must and also something the Steelers must get better at but this league is one that is building rules to encourage more passing. If the Defensive secondary had played better we would not be discussing running the ball more. But that said the Steelers have always been a run first play tough defensive team and I would love to see that again this year.

supa_fly_steeler
06-17-2010, 04:16 PM
http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Pittsburgh+Steelers+v+Miami+Dolphins+6bI4XoGPlV_l. jpg

May we never see this again.

sharkweek
06-17-2010, 11:18 PM
There should be no one way to do things or just one mindset other than winning one of course. But there is more than one way to win a game. Certain teams might better played with a grinding offense, others more finesse. We should employ the best strategy with the skillsets we possess for the teams we play.

lasvegasguy
06-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Before we go back to the grind it out offense. We need an offensive line worthy of opening up holes. You can't grind it out if Mendy is getting smacked in the backfield.

pete74
06-20-2010, 07:59 AM
Before we go back to the grind it out offense. We need an offensive line worthy of opening up holes. You can't grind it out if Mendy is getting smacked in the backfield.

Agreed. The best RB can't run with a horrible line. You could of put Chris Johnson in our backfield last year and there is no possible way he would end up with 2000 yards. Tennessee had a very good line and a great center.

As much as I love Pouncey I would of loved even more to of got a pro bowl LT instead so we could move Starks to the right side and Colon to guard were he would probably be an allpro

LVSteelersfan
06-20-2010, 12:38 PM
I don't know. People keep saying Colon should be a guard. Obviously no one on the Steelers coaching staff seems to think so or he would be a guard. It will never happen. I hope Mendy, Dwyer and Frank the Tank make an awesome combination that will get the Steelers back to a more balanced attack where we can actually run it in from the red zone instead of kicking so many field goals.

Steelerfreak58
06-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Agreed. The best RB can't run with a horrible line. You could of put Chris Johnson in our backfield last year and there is no possible way he would end up with 2000 yards. Tennessee had a very good line and a great center.

As much as I love Pouncey I would of loved even more to of got a pro bowl LT instead so we could move Starks to the right side and Colon to guard were he would probably be an allpro

Barry Sanders didn't have much of an O-line in Detroit for his entire career and yet he produced. Of course he was Barry but just food for thought.

rich4eagle
06-20-2010, 11:56 PM
Five-time Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu(notes) says the Steelers lost their way last season and must again build game plans around running the ball, making big plays on defense and winning the field-position battle on special teams.

"We have a pretty good formula here how to win," Polamalu told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "That doesnít change from year to year or from decade to decade. Weíve had our formula here and itís been good to us.

"I think itís unique, no question. Especially in todayís game. People donít think that you can, for the most part, have a really smothering defense. But, with the smothering defense, you canít have a pass-happy offense. For example, you would think you could take a great defense and mesh them together, but our defense would not work well with a New England Patriots offense or Indianapolis Colts offense. They may put up a lot of points, but it takes a lot more energy to play our defense than a Tampa 2-type defense."

In other words, Polamalu says the team should stop throwing the ball so often. Last year, the offense ranked seventh in the NFL in passing but 19th in rushing.

So he is now the coach............and GM........you play the cards you have on offense which wins games.............or does he want it easier to play defense

Bottom line .................the Steelers pass better than run and offense wins championships.............man up defense:tt03::tt03::tt03:

rick723
06-23-2010, 08:07 PM
I agree that running the ball is a must and also something the Steelers must get better at but this league is one that is building rules to encourage more passing. If the Defensive secondary had played better we would not be discussing running the ball more. But that said the Steelers have always been a run first play tough defensive team and I would love to see that again this year.

If the defensive secondary had been allowed to rest more than 3 plays and punt, they would have made more plays. With whatshisface throwing every down, no rest means the other team gets the ball back, our D dragging ass so no plays forth coming. Answer? Run the ball :hatsoff:

markymarc
06-26-2010, 12:21 PM
With a healthy Troy and Smith our defense will be just fine in 2010. While you must establish a running game, the NFL is all about passing now and we are very good at it.

55BaileyFan
07-08-2010, 06:11 PM
AMEN, run and pound on offense...and beat the shit out of people on defense.