PDA

View Full Version : cowher on sidelines during superbowl

tony hipchest
02-10-2006, 09:12 PM
inside the nfl showed some sideline sound bites from cowher during the game that i really enjoyed. 4th quarter, jerome to run down the clock midway:

cowher: i dont care how many yards you get i want you to hold onto the ball
jerome: i will
cowher: promise me?
jerome: i promise you.

after a james harrison special teams penalty i believe as harrison was running off the field cower ran up to him to ask what happened.

harrison: shit happens

cowher goes up to one of his assistants: did you hear silverback?
asst.: no
cowher: he said "shit happens"

all this while laughing with a big smile. he almost seemed proud of his young player.

i am glad cowher was loose for this game. they also showed him hopping up and down in the endzone before the game as if to warm up or release pent up energy, and im thinking "wow, he seems more like a player than any coach ive ever seen"

good stuff. thanks cowher

Chronicgaming
02-10-2006, 09:17 PM
My favorite Cowher moment from the game was when he did the first down signal from the sideline during the fourth quarter. The guy had the biggest grin I've ever seen from him. Good stuff.

Mamaduck43
02-10-2006, 09:52 PM
I really think that Cowher has cast off the post season demons this year, and I think he did it by relaxing a bit and having fun...... He has had his super intense moments on the sidelines, but he seems to be enjoying the game, the team, the whole experience..... And with that kind of attitude, he will be able to keep the streak alive - - no matter what happens with trades, etc. in the off season...... I do believe that he has found the right combination to winning....... And I am delighted that he has......

melroseplace
02-10-2006, 10:15 PM
I've always been a big fan of Cowher, I think he's a great coach and I'm glad people are starting to realize how much he does for the team. I think it's awesome that in addition to giving the guys the mentality to win, he also reminds them to not take themselves too seriously and to remember to have fun. I can tell it really affects the guys

Atlanta Dan
02-11-2006, 07:56 AM
Cowher has gone to the next level/stage of his career with the SB win.

In addition to being miked for the SB win, NFL Network ran a 20 minute segment last evening where Ed Sabol of NFL Films revisited the Cowher family at their house in Fox Chapel within the past year. One good aspect was that Sabol had visited Cowher at home in the mid-1990s and, since Cowher still lives in the same house, clips of Cowher and his daughters being interviewed on the deck this past year were spliced with interview clips from the previous interview of Cowher and his daughters on the deck about 10 years ago.

Bottom line is that Cowher has a life apart from football as a dedicated Dad, which Sabol says is probably why he has remained so intense but not burned out after 15 years as a head coach.

Good stuff if you catch it.

NJarhead
02-11-2006, 08:00 AM
My favorite Cowher moment from the game was when he did the first down signal from the sideline during the fourth quarter. The guy had the biggest grin I've ever seen from him. Good stuff.

Mine is when the defense was on the sideline debating the non-fumble amongst themselves and Cowher said, "Hey! It doesn't matter. Now get back out there." ...and they did just that.

4xSBChamps
02-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Mine is when the defense was on the sideline debating the non-fumble amongst themselves and Cowher said, "Hey! It doesn't matter. Now get back out there." ...and they did just that.
I'd have LOVED to be the proverbial 'little-mouse', and heard how he motivated the defense after the NON-interception by Polamalu, or Bettis' late-fumble, both at Indianapolis, as they went back onto the field.

NJarhead
02-11-2006, 09:16 AM
I'd have LOVED to be the proverbial 'little-mouse', and heard how he motivated the defense after the NON-interception by Polamalu, or Bettis' late-fumble, both at Indianapolis, as they went back onto the field.

That was pre-SB. I'll bet he Sh*t himself when Bettis fumbled. LOL (it's nice to be able to laugh about that now) remember how we felt at that moment? But guess what? Just like they always do, they improvised, adapted and overcame!

tony hipchest
02-11-2006, 11:51 AM
correction: james harrisson telling him "shit happens" didnt happen in the superbowl, it was an earlier in the season clip. i just got a kick out of cowher not being pissed but telling jerome "thats one of the best lines ive heard" (in reference to what happenend to cause a penalty)

i noticed in the nfl films highlights of the game it had the local ilkin/ hargrove broadcast. i would really like to get a copy of the game with these two calling it. i normally dont bash any of the talking heads or announcers/ commentators but madden really butchered it.

Ambridge
02-11-2006, 06:25 PM

I would have to say that's my favorite moment as well.
At that point he knew the game was in the bag and that 14 long years of blood, sweat and tears had finally paid off.

The great thing about Cowher winning the Superbowl is that I believe his best coaching is still yet to come.

tony hipchest
02-11-2006, 06:39 PM
The great thing about Cowher winning the Superbowl is that I believe his best coaching is still yet to come. totally agree. he seems to have the youth and exuberance of jon gruden BEFORE he won with tampa bay. plus in his 14 year career he has gone through offensive coordinaters at the rate of 1 every 2 years. erhardt, gailey, gilbride, sherman, mularkey, and now whisenhunt who will be in his 3rd year. this stability plus d. lebeau still being with the team leads me to believe there will be no significant drop off like was predicted after last years 15-1 season

4xSBChamps
02-11-2006, 07:59 PM
I would have to say that's my favorite moment as well.
At that point he knew the game was in the bag and that 14 long years of blood, sweat and tears had finally paid off.

The great thing about Cowher winning the Superbowl is that I believe his best coaching is still yet to come.
:iagree:
Now that he's thrown that monkey off his back, he'll be even more dangerous, and when he says:
"Been-there, done-that, got-the-ring....."

..... WHO will dispute him?

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2006, 08:31 PM
that first down signal was just classic.. u could just see the weight of the world just lift off his shoulders right here !

melroseplace
02-11-2006, 08:51 PM
Cowher signaling for the first down was one of my favorite moments as well...and of course at the end of them game when there were only 3 seconds left and they dumped the Gatorade on him...classic moment :cool:

LambertIsGod58
02-12-2006, 08:21 AM
I'M ALL FOR GIVING COWHER PRAISES AND ALL....BUT, ONE THING I WOULD CHANGE IS THAT HE GET'S WAY TOO CONSERVATIVE WITH A LEAD. I GUESS I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T QUESTION A MAN WHO HAS OVER 100 WINS AND ONE LOSS WHEN LEADING BY 11 OR MORE. IT JUST SEEMS THAT THE OPPOSING TEAM GETS BACK INTO THE GAME BECAUSE WE GET TOO CONSERVATIVE. I LOVE COWHER'S SENSE OF INTENSITY. AFTER ALL, YOU HAVE TO LOVE A GUY WHO GREW UP ADMIRING JACK LAMBERT.

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2006, 09:44 AM
I'M ALL FOR GIVING COWHER PRAISES AND ALL....BUT, ONE THING I WOULD CHANGE IS THAT HE GET'S WAY TOO CONSERVATIVE WITH A LEAD. I GUESS I PROBABLY SHOULDN'T QUESTION A MAN WHO HAS OVER 100 WINS AND ONE LOSS WHEN LEADING BY 11 OR MORE. IT JUST SEEMS THAT THE OPPOSING TEAM GETS BACK INTO THE GAME BECAUSE WE GET TOO CONSERVATIVE. I LOVE COWHER'S SENSE OF INTENSITY. AFTER ALL, YOU HAVE TO LOVE A GUY WHO GREW UP ADMIRING JACK LAMBERT.

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I know Cowher's record with a lead over 10 points is somewhat misleading (most teams hold 10 point leads) but it still is well above average.

TexaSteeler
02-12-2006, 10:28 AM
The change in Cowher since we were 7-5 has been huge. All the frustrations I had with him are gone (they returned shortly during quarter 1 of the SB). My attitude towards him has changed.

clevestinks
02-12-2006, 02:49 PM
It was awesome to see him this relaxed, he never looked more relaxed than he did at the parade, no monkey on his back

Mr. Clean
02-12-2006, 05:39 PM
My favorite Cowher comment came after the game ended.

Cowher said to Dan Rooney, "I clutched those Rosary beads in my pocket the whole second half! I might turn Catholic yet!"
:cool:

GX624
02-12-2006, 05:50 PM
He changed his sideline chant from spitting "Let's Go!" to "Just Play!"

Cowher's attitude was a huge reason the Steelers won the game, as opposed to Holmgren's.

Steelers make a bad play, Cowher goes to his players "Just play!" "Settle dahn!" "You gotta have a short memory." and after the overturned fumble: "Hey, listen. It don't make any difference! Just get ready to go play! Just Play!"

Seahawks make a bad play (and to me, a penalty is a bad play), Holmgren goes to the refs "After this is over, I wanna speak to the Back Judge and Bill." Then on Ben's TD he's screaming "He's not even close! He's not even close!" and the ref says "So, they'll overturn it." and Holmy replies, "I know, but Hell! Hell!" He was still griping about it after his kicker missed just before half time, even disregarding a question from the reporter on the field to get "air time" for his victimized delusion.

The teams take on the attitude of the coach. The more Holmgen whined, the more his team whined and the more upset and "put upon" they felt. The more composed Cowher was, the more his team was.

Cowher did the same "We can't control that. Regardless of what happens, you go out there and play!" (paraphrasing) during the Indi game on Polamalu's overturned interception.

Holmgren knows how to whine.
Cowher knows how to win.

Norsideguy
02-13-2006, 04:22 AM
i am glad cowher was loose for this game. they also showed him hopping up and down in the endzone before the game as if to warm up or release pent up energy, and im thinking "wow, he seems more like a player than any coach ive ever seen"

good stuff. thanks cowher

Yep...I remember the NFL network special where they had a ton of his comments from the sideline over his career, and alot of his attitude overall. From the sideline before a game (to the players), "You guys are so lucky, you get to go out there and play"...in practice, lining up as linebacker and faking rushing the ball carrier each carry...with all the intensity of any player on the team. Then the game against jacksonville (I think), where a jaguar picks up a blocked steelers fg kick and runs it down the sideline, cowher steps onto the field and fakes lunging at him...penatly lol...

He is definitely a players coach, a perfect fit for the team and I woulden't want anyone else coaching the steelers.

BAC
02-13-2006, 07:47 AM
I woulden't want anyone else coaching the steelers.

Yeah, what he said.