PDA

View Full Version : Steelers’ Gibson believes collegiate OLB experience helpful

pete74
06-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Steelers rookie Thaddeus Gibson primarily played defensive end at Ohio State, but he has some experience at outside linebacker, the position he'll play in Pittsburgh's scheme. Gibson, the Steelers' fourth-round pick, played outside linebacker in high school and also played the position in some packages for the Buckeyes. Gibson, who played the "Leo" position in Ohio State's defense, would move from defensive end to outside linebacker when the Buckeyes used their nickel package and switched from a 4-3 to a 3-4 look. "Playing that role that I played at Ohio State got me prepared for the job I'm doing now," he said. Gibson, who signed with the Steelers on June 11, told PFW he'll play left outside linebacker, where Pro Bowler LaMarr Woodley — himself a former collegiate defensive end — is entrenched as the starter, with fellow Pro Bowler James Harrison on the right side. Gibson is excited to learn from both. "You couldn't be in a better place or a better situation," he said.

markymarc
06-26-2010, 12:51 PM
You can never go wrong with learning from the 2 best OLBs in the NFL. Thad Gibson could be another under the radar rookie and I can't wait to see how he and Worilds perform in training camp and preseason.