PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin Doesn't Feel Steelers Defense Has Gotten Old

pete74
06-28-2010, 04:36 AM
Pittsburgh's defense did not slip much statistically, from No. 1 overall in 2008 when they went on to win the Super Bowl, to No. 5 last season. However, it is what they did not do that helped lead to a 9-7 record and a seat out of the playoffs. Critics claim the defense has gotten too old as the starters in the D-line are all over 30, captain and inside linebacker James Farrior is 35, linebacker Larry Foote is 30, safety Ryan Clark will be 31 and cornerback Ike Taylor is 30. Coach Mike Tomlin said he's not concerned about the age of his defense. "No I'm not. When you look at the talent that we have infused over the years, I think we are doing a nice job of infusing guys that go along with some veteran guys, and that has been ongoing since I have been here," he said. "Going back to Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley, and as recently of course as Thaddeus Gibson and Jason Worilds, Ziggy Hood, the young comers. We have done a nice job of adding young guys to the mix at virtually every level of not only our defense but our offense as well."

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/Mike_Tomlin_Doesnt_Feel_Steelers_Defense_Has_Gotte n_Old/2803815

Steelerfreak58
06-28-2010, 10:09 AM
We were missing Aaron and Troy last year. Troy is a game changer. This year they will come out and stomp teams if Troy is healthy.

mikegrimey
06-28-2010, 03:16 PM
Even with Troy we didn't stomp anybody. Agreed that he does make some of those huge plays that can turn the tide of a game, but we can't count on that all the time. We need more reliable play from the secondary. Taylor is usually solid, but the second cornerback position is a question and, after Clark got exposed in a Polamaluless secondary last year, free safety is as well.

steeltheone
06-29-2010, 09:12 PM
Keep thinking that way Tomlin, It might cost you your job!