PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Draft Thread

Prosdo
02-11-2006, 02:08 PM
Talk about the Steelers draft here. :smile:

SteelCityMan786
02-11-2006, 02:11 PM
How About Lendale White as our 1st pick if he last that long.

Prosdo
02-11-2006, 02:13 PM
I would love to get LenDale but we would probably have to trade up.

Koopa
02-11-2006, 02:13 PM

well that was realistic before jan. 4th and before we won the superbowl, now it's just plain stupid to talk about cause satan will be ice skating before we even have a chance at him

3 to be 4
02-11-2006, 02:17 PM
well that was realistic before jan. 4th and before we won the superbowl, now it's just plain stupid to talk about cause satan will be ice skating before we even have a chance at him

careful, there an NHL gambling investigation going on :sofunny:

BlitzburghRockCity
02-11-2006, 02:25 PM
ITs a hard place to pick being last in the first round becuz you have to be able to differeniate who is a first rounder and who is a high 2nd rounder, and alot of times you can end up overpaying too.

tony hipchest
02-11-2006, 02:25 PM
careful, there an NHL gambling investigation going on :sofunny: yeah that stupid investigation has taken some of the glow and constant media coverage away from the steelers glorius win. its almost like it has tarnished out title by taking away from the accolades our team has righfully earned.

SteelersWyo
02-11-2006, 02:29 PM
White will never fall that low in the draft for the Steelers to get him. It would cost too much to move up and get him.

3 to be 4
02-11-2006, 02:32 PM
yeah that stupid investigation has taken some of the glow and constant media coverage away from the steelers glorius win. its almost like it has tarnished out title by taking away from the accolades our team has righfully earned.

dont feel bad. We attacked Iraq on my birthday. Everybody was all like "We're at war!. We're at war!" Im like, "hello? me? are you forgetting something?"

Prosdo
02-11-2006, 02:33 PM
What do you think are our biggest draft needs?

Steeler in Carolina
02-11-2006, 02:40 PM
Depending on what happens in free agency, WR may be an early need.

mdhus
02-11-2006, 02:42 PM
Secondary. With hope and possibly Townsend leaving we would need some extra help in that department.

siko

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-11-2006, 04:11 PM
I dont believe were going to be able to get Lendale White.....And at number 32....also it seems like a wast..i think we should pick up Nick Mangold........at center he has the potential to be a pro bowler.
and hartings is getting old

drizze99
02-11-2006, 04:26 PM
LenDale will go to the Ratbirds at #13. Jamal already sold his house in Baltimore and is gearing up for a new team. There has been some chatter that Jamal is going to be trade to the Vikings for Culpepper.

If we lose ARE, which I believe we will, getting a WR in the draft is important. I like Moss from Miami. Sure he is 5' 8", but has 4.4 speed. He has the ability to do what his brother does.

If for some reason we re-sign ARE, I like taking Mangold from Ohio St. Hartings knees won't last much longer and and Chucky is not the right guy for the STARTING job.

We also need to address the secondary because the chances of signing Hope, Townsend & Taylor is unlikely. I have no problem with cutting Townsend and promoting McFadden. Hope is up in the air with me. If we can get a good deal, I say sign him. He's a little hot & cold for me. Ike is a must sign!!

We also are going to need a DE that will fit into our 3-4 scheme. I don't think Kimo is going to comeback and we will re-sign Diesel Kiesel!

Atlanta Dan
02-11-2006, 05:24 PM
DB, WR, and (if Keisel leaves) DL. Can always use another LB for teh 3-4.

Starting a rookie at FS is a big gamble, but I do not believe Chris Hope is coming back (ARE is gone) and I do not see bring in another FA to replace Hope. Plan may to have Logan or Coclough start the season at FS and work a high draft pick in.

If it appears Ike Taylor will be gone after 2006 may need to load up on DBs this draft

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-11-2006, 05:30 PM
darnell Bing is also an option to replace Hope, and can start from day one

Suitanim
02-11-2006, 05:35 PM
The key to all this is FA. If we lose a bunch of guys, they'll need replaced but will also open cap room to do so. How all that pans out will determine how we draft this year. I do believe that we are in a good place this year, as we don't have giant gaping needs which allows us to draft best players available and not as much for need. That being said...

If Hope leaves, FS needs addressed if not by FA then by the draft.
If Hartings restructures, we are okay at C, if they cut him loose for cap reasons, C needs addressed through FA or preferably draft.
If Townsend goes, we need a DB but I'd go FA on this, not draft. We are solid at DB with 3 youngs studs, and have Chidi for depth. We need a seasoned pro to step in as a nickel back and for depth, not a rook.
RB is a possibility, but only if the guy we need is there. I think we'll pick RB in 3+, unless they do something surprising in FA.
WR is certainly a possibility, especially if ARE goes.
Other than that, I do believe we have the luxury of picking exceptional football players regardless of position. We should also pick up some compensatory picks for the departure of Plex (More good coming from that deal). It'll be a fun offseason.

Milkman
02-11-2006, 08:40 PM
I'm likin' the looks of Stovall from ND at WR.

SteelCityMan786
02-11-2006, 08:49 PM
RB, WR, DL(Depending On Kimo And Brett)

WR If ARE does NOT RETURN I'd like to see them get that Moss from Miami or Willie Reed from Florida State(Can't argue with Florida Speed)
RB I'd go for either Tony Hunt Or Leon Washington Maybe If He is Not Too Pricy Bring In Edgerin. He could be one of our Bus Runners And could be a 3rd Down/Goal Line Back. We May also need someone depending on How Haynes plays out.
DL If he is around that long Tamba Hali Or a FA

DIESELMAN
02-12-2006, 07:11 AM
I believe we need to make an offer to ARE but on our terms we can pick up a WR in the draft.
Hope will more then likely be gone and maybe Townsend but I think McFadden is ready to step in and we can replace Hope by FA.
I think we'll pay to bring back Keisel and maybe talk Kimo into taking a pay cut for one more year.I'd like to see us get Mario Wiiliams(NC State) hes a monster but I know thats just me smoking...lol
The O line will be alright without Hartings might talk him into coming back for less money for a chance at another SB.If not theres Mangold and a couple of others that are just as stout as him for center.
The RB situation will be interesting....Staley could come back but would have to take a paycut and I don't know if he would take a backseat to Parker or not,he put his ego aside for Bettis and the team and didn't even play in the SB I don't know if he would do that another year ... Haynes might be leaving too. As far as who to pick up in the draft...I like Addai from LSU he has the speed(4.40) and the frame to bulk up,he has good hands and is a good blocker and can pick up the blitz hes not afraid to mix it up with the big boys.
All in all we don't look to bad we'll have a damn good draft and be defending our title with no problems.....:helmet:

Lambertfan
02-12-2006, 12:29 PM
Trade 32 for 2 2nd rounders.

louisvillecards
02-12-2006, 06:22 PM
round 1 i see antonio cromartie cb florida state or sinorice moss wr miami .and ive also heard they like micahel robinson from penn st qb they would likely move to wr. i guess it depends on what they feel the most urgent need is the secondary or wr. i say they will let are go you know how they run that. they wont give him the payday someone else will. i do hate to see him go i hope they can work it out

stillthere
02-13-2006, 03:44 AM
Mangold from Ohio State would be a decent move at 32 but if Santonio Holmes slides down and the Steelers could move up a few spots to draft him that would be an ideal move. If neither of these two are available a trade down would be in the best interest of the team. You would be able to pick up an extra player and you move out of first round signing bonus money and that would help future cap numbers.

If the Steelers are not sold on Mangold they could pick up DeGory (sp) from Florida in late second round.

Suitanim
02-13-2006, 10:03 AM
Of course, this is all predicated upon what we do in the FA market. Trading down would make sense if there's nobody in the picks between where we end up and #32 that covet who we covet...but that's iffy at best. I'm also wondering about PLax compensatory picks. He was a first rounder, so the NFL will be rewarding us a couple picks, and we may not NEED more picks.

It's all too early to tell.

BigBenFan4ever
02-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Here is how I think the draft will go.

Round #1 Bobby Carpenter, OLB, Ohio State (Dominate defender could play DE in our 3-4 DF).

Round #2 Martin Nance, WR Miami Ohio (I like him becuase he is big and Ben and Him have played together in college).

Round #3 Greg Eslinger, C, Minnesota (2nd best C coming into the draft, we will need dept when hartings is cut)

Round #4 Cedric Humes, RB Virginia Tech (Big Back Great For Short Yardage And Goal Line).

Rounds #5, #6, #7 best players availible.

tony hipchest
02-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Of course, this is all predicated upon what we do in the FA market. Trading down would make sense if there's nobody in the picks between where we end up and #32 that covet who we covet...but that's iffy at best. I'm also wondering about PLax compensatory picks. He was a first rounder, so the NFL will be rewarding us a couple picks, and we may not NEED more picks.

It's all too early to tell. we may get a pick for k. bell also but im not sure.

Suitanim
02-13-2006, 02:46 PM

Round #1 Bobby Carpenter, OLB, Ohio State (Dominate defender could play DE in our 3-4 DF).

Round #2 Martin Nance, WR Miami Ohio (I like him becuase he is big and Ben and Him have played together in college).

Round #3 Greg Eslinger, C, Minnesota (2nd best C coming into the draft, we will need dept when hartings is cut)

Round #4 Cedric Humes, RB Virginia Tech (Big Back Great For Short Yardage And Goal Line).

I would be very, Very VERY happy with Rd's 1-4 if it went down this way...I think Eslinger and Humes will both move one round higher though...but with compensatory picks, this could still happen in a 1, 2, 2a and 3 situation.

WeNowHave5
02-13-2006, 04:40 PM

Hey, what About Reggie Bush too? or AJ Hawk? :sofunny: j/k

Prosdo
02-13-2006, 06:00 PM
I would be happy with that as well BigBenFan.

SteelerFanInATL
02-14-2006, 07:56 AM
As ar as RB goes talk down here in ATL is that T.J. Duckett may not be here next year. I think he would be a great replacement for JB. He is young (4 yrs exp), has size, and can definately move the crowd. Looking forward to the off season to see how things go down.

mopit55
02-16-2006, 06:01 PM
yes duckett is big, strong and young but haynes is similary but the priority is a receiver or a safety if antwaan, chris and ike gone. all the free gone...no the first draft pick must be a wr because randle el gone also sino moss or chad jackson are good. in safety cromartie,not bing he's take early,greg blue, bernard pollard.for the running back,take a expensive player is a good question. jamal lewis looklike at our style,ahman green too,edge james no,alexander goes to the panthers so the draft for the 2 or 3 round can be better. answer me!

slashsteel
02-16-2006, 09:01 PM
I think Humes is a very realistic option, especially if Haynes goes.

Koopa
02-16-2006, 09:38 PM
cedric griffen from UT could be a good pick up, he's 6'2" and is said he can be converted to safty and still be just as good, and he'll probably be their in the second round

XxKnightxX
02-17-2006, 07:54 AM
I think we should draft sinorice moss. Im a Miami (FL) fan and i love his explosiveness and he can provide a good deep threat problem and he is a hard worker which i think its great. Another guy im looking at is that DT from Florida state, cant remember his name i just heard it too. They guy is like 6'2 and 355 pounds but he is ripped and very athletic and i think he can move to the DE spot in the 3-4 if coached correctly. In all , I think that FA will lead to a clearer picture in the draft.

Suitanim
02-17-2006, 10:05 AM
As an update, I understand that we recieved 3 compensatory picks, so we will have a 3b, a 4b and a 5b.

slashsteel
02-19-2006, 06:47 PM
Suit do you have a link that verifies that ?

Suitanim
02-19-2006, 08:33 PM
No, but it's based off what we lost last year and how teams who lost the same as we did ended up last year. Here's a link to who got what last year...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/8314832

It's part of the collective bargaining agreement, so it's not negotiable.

neohiobill
02-20-2006, 01:35 PM
i think with the looming salary issue with jeff hartings,, it wouldn't be that far fetched for us to look at the center position,,, nick mangold would be a prime pick,, and possably availlable. if not, there is adequete depth at the position. i'm not sure if chukkey okobi would be an adequete starter for our line and with bens emergance the line is a critical aspect... go steelers,,

Sharkissle29
02-21-2006, 05:14 PM
sinorice moss could be our next ARE if thats what were lookin for. small, quick, would return punts/kickoffs. hes more than just a WR. i'd like him, but i think we're a bit too far down to get him. maybe if we traded up a few spots we could get him

TexaSteeler
02-22-2006, 05:11 PM
cedric griffen from UT could be a good pick up, he's 6'2" and is said he can be converted to safty and still be just as good, and he'll probably be their in the second round

Griffin is impressive.

DIESELMAN
02-25-2006, 12:06 AM

During his NFL Combine interview, Miami University WR Martin Nance said he measured a height of 6-4.02 and a weight of 213 pounds. He said he might add a couple more pounds, but feels his speed is pretty good now. His fastest 40-yard dash time was a 4.35. Nance says he's a big receiver who can stretch the field and makes plays after the catch. Nance is recovering from a torn ACL he suffered in Game 5 of 2004. He had surgery in early October of 2004 and returned for the 2005 season with a different quarterback throwing to him. Nance is still working on his speed and tightening up his control....I'd like to see us take a chance on Nance.....:helmet:

Suitanim
02-25-2006, 08:57 AM
I was worried about his speed dropping off from the injury, but it's obviously had no effect...he didn't have stellar numbers last year, but Betts is no Roethlisberger. I think Nance is making a pretty big blip on the Steelers radar...

BigBenFan4ever
02-25-2006, 12:59 PM
I'm changing my picks because of what I have seen at the combine

#1 Nick Mangold, C Ohio State. He has just looked great and has great speed and quickness. I don't know how we could pass on him. We will draft him if he is still there.

#2 Martin Nance, WR Miami He still has speed and great size.(OH)

#3 Claude Wroten, DT Louisiana State I'm afarid he won't be there so if he is not then I would pick John McCargo, DT North Carolina State

#4 Cedric Humes, RB Virginia Tech

#5 Terna Nande, OLB Miami (OH)

#6 Kellen Clemens, QB Oregon

#7 Best Kick or Punt return guy availible

lank81
02-28-2006, 01:46 AM
BigBenFan4Ever I definitely like your picks except for Wroten he won't be that deep in the draft and he has had some off the field problems. If Jason Avant or Maurice Stovall are still available I also pick one of them over Nance. As for the 1st round I'm definitely vying for Nick Mangold, but also a great choice would be DT Brodrick Bunkley from FSU. He is HUGE, QUICK, and POWERFUL. He would be better than Aaron Smith and Kimo combined. We would probably have to trade up a few spots, but I'm telling you with Hampton and Bunkley our line would be great. Some choicese at OLB also would be Parys Haralson, and Chris Gocong. Other DT to put as DE in our 3-4 D are Marcus Green - OSU, Barry CoField - Northwestern, and Dusty Dvoarcek - Oklahoma.

Lank

Mosca
03-01-2006, 05:14 PM
I predict the #1 pick will be.....

Greg Hawthorne!

(Mosca runs out screaming)

Stlrs4Life
03-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Well, it depends on who we lose. We usually pick best available athlete, not for need.

Suitanim
03-04-2006, 08:16 AM
That thread you posted about restructuring deals clears a lot of things up. We can completely remove center off the draft list (at least in the first few rounds), and probably move RB up a rd as well. #1 leaves me stymied though...if they go WR, Nance may be a reach. It may very well be an OL for depth.

I.C. Lights
03-06-2006, 08:54 PM
I'm likin' the looks of Stovall from ND at WR.

:iagree: Stovall would be a perfect fit for our offense. He's got all the star receiver qualities plus he's a hell of a blocker. He didn't get to shine at ND until his last year and he's still got so much more potential. Best part is that he'll be underneath the radar, so we should actually be able to pick him up.

Suitanim
03-06-2006, 09:05 PM
He had a good game against OSU playing against the best defense in college football. I think he caught 9-10 balls for 120 yards or so...that's impressive!

Ohio Steeler
03-07-2006, 02:59 PM
was he not on the IR the whole year last year and the year before almost half of it.

I.C. Lights
03-07-2006, 10:27 PM
Who's that?

Ohio Steeler
03-09-2006, 10:40 PM
was he not on the IR the whole year last year and the year before almost half of it.

this why you should not drink and post what I was going to say is this

I would love to see us take Devin Hester from Miami but I dont see him going that low another one that would be good for us is Santonio Holmes from The Ohio State Buckeyes and he is another oen I belive will be gone by the time we pick.

so with that said we should look at

Maurice Stovall from Notre Damn
Chad Jackson from Florida
Martin Nance from Miami of Ohio

tim686
03-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Who are the Steelers looking at for the draft?

Ohio Steeler
03-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Who are the Steelers looking at for the draft?

Nick Mangold
Sinorice Moss

are the only names I seem to be reading they are talking about

tim686
03-11-2006, 05:35 AM
thank you

TasmanianTroy271
03-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Nick Mangold
Sinorice Moss

are the only names I seem to be reading they are talking about

That's purely from fan speculation. At the combine, the Steelers talked to Bobby Carpenter, a LB from Ohio State, and Bill Cowher attended OSU's Pro Day, where he also probably looked at Donte Whitner, a 2nd round Safety, and Santonio Holmes, a 1st round WR. Plus, other names thrown around in the Mock Drafts are WR Martin Nance, WR Chad Jackson, CB Ashton Youboty, and CB Antonio Cromartie.

Suitanim
03-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Yeah, for some reason people aren't comprehending that Mangold is no longer on the Steelers radar after they restructured Hartings and Okobi and publicly stated that the job is Okobi's after Hartings retires.

Stlrs4Life
03-12-2006, 11:17 AM
Hartings and Okobi restructured? I didn't see that.

MNsteelers
03-14-2006, 06:41 PM
I think Pittsburgh's biggest immediate need is at DE or OLB. They'll resign Keisel now that they have lost Kimo, but this isn't a great draft for 3-4 DEs. In the past, they have converted a college tackle into an end (Kimo, Aaron Smith) or even looked for guys who might be able to do both in needful situations (Keisel). But it might just be wise to look for a FA defensive end, and leave the draft open to the best player available. Outside of Carpenter's injuries, scouts have labeled him as a real difference-maker. Judging by his size and speed at the Combine (4.6 40 makes personnel directors drool), Carpenter looks like a Pittsburgh OLB through and through. Even with the signing of another FS today, I think they may want to look at FS or SS for depth/special teams (obviously, not in the first round). I like Carpenter like Mel Kiper does. Keep an eye out for Jason Avant (WR, Michigan) in the third round, though. A Ward prototype receiver. Runs good routes, has good hands, is tough and will block, not overly fast or athletic. Solid, though

Suitanim
03-14-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm torn...is there that guy there at #32 that we HAVE to have regardless? I still think WR, and am sold on Nance, but is he too much of a reach at #32 and hopelessly gone at #64?

MNsteelers
03-14-2006, 07:05 PM
I'm torn...is there that guy there at #32 that we HAVE to have regardless? I still think WR, and am sold on Nance, but is he too much of a reach at #32 and hopelessly gone at #64?

No, there's not really anyone we need, I mean, we just won the Super Bowl and already have replaced the starters who left. WR is not a good position for the 32nd pick for the exact reasons you said; too much of a reach at 32 and gone at 64. I think Jason Avant might be a third round possibility.

We're just gonna go best available at 32 (obviously not QB or SS). I think it's going to be Carpenter.

Midnightwriter1
03-21-2006, 04:58 AM
DEFENSE DEFENSE unless of course there was away to get WHITE, but i dont think a chance so have to go defense.

Dook
03-21-2006, 07:38 AM
I think our needs are S, WR, LB (depth), RB (depth), and 3rd QB.

Safety: I'm going to give Ryan Clark the benefit of doubt that he should be able to start and seemlessly replace Hope. Ike Taylor is still up in the air so that leaves us with a possible hole and Carter as the only backup. This could very well be our #1 pick.

WR: Cedric will have to step up bigtime, last year our TE had more catch's than he did. Morgan and Washington are possible #3 WR but we really only have one sure thing and that's Hines Ward.

The #2 WR Chad Jackson and #3 WR Sinorice Moss should fall because Dallas signed TO but it's questionable that they are there at 32. If either is available I think you have to take them. Likely we will use our 2nd pick to get WR Martin Nance or WR Hank Baskett.

LB: We have all of our starters and sufficient depth but Porter is gone after next year simply because his contract is getting too high, 3rd round.

RB: I don't know what's up with Haynes but Duce and Willie should be able to get the job done this year. But you always have to worry about an injury, especially with Duce so I think we take the best prospect available with our second 3rd round pick.

QB: I think we take a 3rd QB in the fourth. If Joey Harrington doesn't sign I'd take him though and offer him a chance to play for the 2nd QB spot as long as he doesn't want more than $1m a year.

As far as Center goes, we have Hartings and Okobi. At DE we have Keisel and Bailey. I just don't think we need more depth than that. Maybe with the rest of the draft picks the team will look at some possible future replacements for these positions.

MNsteelers
03-21-2006, 12:54 PM
"LB: We have all of our starters and sufficient depth but Porter is gone after next year simply because his contract is getting too high, 3rd round."

Exactly right, but Porter's contract situation is why Carpenter makes the most sense in the first round. Not only do you have to weigh what you need, but you have to look at the player who most fits the pick. You can't take a second/third-round talent (any receiver who will be on the board at 32) with the 32nd pick just because you want to develop a No. 3 receiver in the next year or two. They already put their plans for the WR spot in Ward and Ced for the next three years. THere's your 1 and 2. Take the OLB whom you might need to start next year.

Midnightwriter1
03-21-2006, 02:11 PM
If there is even a chance of Porter being gone, that makes all the reson to take a LB / DE the first two picks. We dont know if Keisel is going to be that good for a whole season and Bailey was let go by us, the Pats, the Seahawks for a reason. I really think we will be making sure we have someone in place for Keisel just in case.. plus we need someone back up as well.

MNsteelers
03-21-2006, 03:04 PM
If there is even a chance of Porter being gone, that makes all the reson to take a LB / DE the first two picks. We dont know if Keisel is going to be that good for a whole season and Bailey was let go by us, the Pats, the Seahawks for a reason. I really think we will be making sure we have someone in place for Keisel just in case.. plus we need someone back up as well.

Are there any DE/DTs in the draft this year who would make a good 3-4 DE? Ya gotta think big, I mean, Smith, Kimo and Keisel are all 6-foot-5 275+ lbs.

mopit55
03-25-2006, 02:51 PM
defense , first a safety or corner (cromartie or youboty), two a receiver (nance or stovall), and a linebacker.in free agent burleson was good but now the draft is the last alternative.

BigDude66687
03-26-2006, 03:23 AM
I think 1st is Carpenter if he's still there
Nance in the 2nd
3rd round we'll draft a safety and Rb
4th we'll go Qb or project wr Roberts perhaps
5th De/DT folllowed by depth

Busforever
03-30-2006, 09:48 AM
What do you think of Maurice Stovall at WR? 32 is probably too high for him, and 64 maybe not enough. But he is a big guy at his position, and he is from Notre Dame. And now we miss that kind of player!:rolleyes:

plus i read he is a great blocker...

Midnightwriter1
03-30-2006, 11:13 AM
Stovall would be a great grab to have... if we had 5 drafts picks between the 1st and 3 round. lol

alot of players would help our team for the future and that is hwy is so hard to guess where the Steelers would be going this year with their first two picks.

I feel a LB, DE in the first two rounds and a RB/ WR in third.....

BUT

since we have no immediate needs for someone to come in and start right away, the Steelers could easily go any direction the next two years piling on back ups and groom them. That is the best thing about not having an immediate need at any one position because the Steelers will be able to truely take the best player available on the board in rounds 1-3 and it wouldnt hurt any because we dont have that immediate need anywhere.

I hear all the time we need a # 2 WR and how hard Randle El will be to replace.. but seriously he had only 35 catches and i think Wilson, Morgan, Washington could at least match that total with no problem. That is only around 2 catches per game so is not a huge goal statistally speaking lol

Dook
03-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Why a DE in the first two rounds? We have a starters in Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith and backups in Rodney Bailey and Shaun Nua.

This is my current wish list:

1st S Donte Whitner (Take WR Sinorice Moss if available and go safety in 2nd)
2nd WR Martin Nance
3rd RB De'Arrius Howard
4th WR Hank Baskett and OLB Terna Nande and RB Cedric Humes
5th OLB John Busing and QB Matt Baker
6th OL
7th DE

steelcityjameser
04-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Why a DE in the first two rounds? We have a starters in Brett Keisel and Aaron Smith and backups in Rodney Bailey and Shaun Nua.

This is my current wish list:

1st S Donte Whitner (Take WR Sinorice Moss if available and go safety in 2nd)
2nd WR Martin Nance
3rd RB De'Arrius Howard
4th WR Hank Baskett and OLB Terna Nande and RB Cedric Humes
6th OL
7th DE

i am an arkansas razorback fan and have followed De'Arrius since high school(where he was phenomonal). he will not pan out as an NFL running back. he doesn't have the ability to break tackles like a back his size should. and trust me, arkansas ran a smash-mouth SEC offense and he had numerous opportunities. i guess he could be a full back; i think he was a decent blocker if memory serves....

Suitanim
04-02-2006, 04:15 PM
That's very cool...not often fans are honest about the talent from their home town talent.

slashsteel
04-05-2006, 12:01 PM
DE?S?WR?RB so hard to tell which direction we will go but I think out of the first four rounds you see one of each of these mentioned according to BPA.
With DeAngelo falling he might be a option.

And to go back to the Mangold discussions. If Hartings leaves next year wouldn't we still draft a C for competition? Knowing this is a stronger C draft than in recent memory, I wouldn't be surprised if Mangold was drafted. History of our drafts show we love picking linemen early, and just because we read Okobi is the future doesn't make it fact. and if all better options are on the board do we reach or go for a solid player in Mangold ? ? Last time we reached we ended up with a Troy Edwards. Mangold as earlier mentioned can play multiple positions, back up at RG ? ?

I just tried to look at teams needs the other day and realistic draft options, and saw that everyone the Steelers were rumored to pick in 1 with a solid one grade was off the board. I think I had Alston left over a hybrid S/OLB, oh and Maurice Drew if we wanted to reach there. Not that my mock is how it plays out but Whitner,Simpson,Carpenter,Greenway,White,Maroney, and Lawson could all very well be off the board by the time 32 rolls around.

Do you pick a

Mangold
Alston
Drew

or trade down ? ?

I think how the draft plays out by pick 24 we should know if we should trade up 5 spots.

But if the FO doesn't want to pull the trigger we could end up with a lesser talent.

Which again brings us right back to Mangold.........

tony hipchest
04-05-2006, 12:23 PM
if mangold is there at #32 he will probably be the best player on the board. d. hoak not withstanding, there are 2 spots on the team where the steelers love stability, and do not play musical chairs with, and thats the head coach (noll, cowher) and center (webster, dawson, and faneca). since i dont think were gonna draft anyone who will make a huge impact or be immediately thrust into the starting lineup (h. miller) this may be a reasonable pick. just like carpenter if he were there.

Midnightwriter1
04-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Mangold wouldnt be a " wasted " pick or a bad one... Like i have siad and other people have said... we can go any direction. Since we dont have an immediate need anywhere and whomever we draft will Most likely be a reserve for 1 - 2 years.... i dont see us moving up and will just stick with best available at the time.

RichmondVA
04-06-2006, 07:58 AM
[QUOTE=MNsteelers]"LB: We have all of our starters and sufficient depth but Porter is gone after next year simply because his contract is getting too high, 3rd round."

The Steelers have four great LB's as the starters but lack every down LB starters on the depth chart. Regardless of Porter's contract... we are thin and lack quality depth at the position. List the starting 4 LB's and then their backups... I'm not to confident the back-ups are the future in Pittsburgh.

Quality depth is needed at LB IMO and will be the position the Steelers draft 1st and often!

slashsteel
04-06-2006, 10:41 AM
I disagree I think that Porter stays unless he fades like Gildon. He was in many ways our MVP during the playoff run him and MAUL(Polamalu) that is. We can simply re-structure Joey like we have done with many other players if he gets too pricey. But I would say he earned every penny of his contract last year........

coachspeak33
04-06-2006, 01:42 PM
With the money it is going to take to resign Troy P, we are almost guaranteed to lose either Porter or Haggans....

If I am not mistaken they are both 7 or 8 year vets and Porters already fairly pricey contract has to be nearing its end in a year or two....

Hopefully the guys on this team dont forget the example that Bettis set for them during the last 5 years he played here. The guy was the face of the franchise for over a decade and took not only paycuts but also got knocked down the depth chart three different times (Amos, Willie, Duce) only to carry us offensively for the whole second half of 04 and maybe the most important regular season game of his career (05 vs Chi in the snow and mud)

Midnightwriter1
04-06-2006, 01:52 PM
great in theory, but neither Porter or haggins will be the face of the franshise now that Big Ben is here and will be here. Whichever player will be cheaper i think we will resign. Would be strange to see Porter in a different uniform that is for sure. I dont know about Haggins, i like him but he doesnt get the media attention that Porter does because he doesnt talk as much but he plays well. We could easily lose both and your right, i think that if either one or both is to be resigned, it will be more because they want to stay a Steeler and would prolly take less money to do so. Hopefully we will be lucky enough to sign them prior to them hitting the F/A market, but that could be a long shot.

Suitanim
04-06-2006, 03:46 PM
I'm confused...how can we have Cedric Wilson penciled in as our #2 WR, and Quincy Morgan penciled in as #3 and NOT have an immediate need at the WR spot?

Midnightwriter1
04-06-2006, 04:24 PM
well because they are also very high on nate Washington who will compete for # 3 and also Walter Young. We may pick up a receiver in later rounds.

Suitanim
04-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Gary Dulac is reporting the Steelers will take a WR in RD 1 or 2
More by Dulac:
http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/teams/steelers/

Wexell reported this not that long ago:
TUESDAY, MARCH 14

"The loss of Antwaan Randle El left the Steelers with three receivers on their depth chart, and one didn’t catch a regular-season pass. They also lost their targeted free agent when Andre Davis signed with the Bills.

That leaves the draft. Considering the Steelers’ interest in Davis, we can deduce they’re looking for speed instead of size. The speed merchants are Ohio State’s Santonio Holmes, Florida’s Chad Jackson and Miami’s Sinorice Moss.

Of the three, Moss should be there at pick 32. The younger brother of Santana Moss has performed like him lately. Moss ran past Tye Hill to make a great touchdown catch in the Senior Bowl, and in workouts ran a 4.38 40 with a 42-inch vertical jump. That could make the 5-foot-8 smurf a first-rounder."

Fox Sports has WR as the biggest need now that Verron haynes has resigned:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67067&type=StrategyAndPersonnel

The point of all this is that nobody knows WHAT the Steelers are going to do, and, at this point, I doubt even the Steelers do.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-06-2006, 06:45 PM
The point of all this is that nobody knows WHAT the Steelers are going to do, and, at this point, I doubt even the Steelers do.

I'm not sure what Fox Sports is looking at. Do we need a receiver? Yes. I think next year's draft will have better prospects in the first round. So I think spending a first round pick on a borderline 1st/2nd rounder is suspect.

I love Verron. He makes plays. But is he going to be able to step in to the No. 2 slot once Duce tears a ligament? I have more faith in Nate Washington stepping into the No. 3 receiver spot. Quincy is a solid #4. Oh. And Heath Miller can catch a football.

I don't buy into the idea that our RB situation is even close to comfortable - more like one injury from critical condition.

Suitanim
04-06-2006, 07:21 PM
I don't think we ARE comfortable at RB...I believe that is still an area of concern, but slips from #1 need with the Haynes signing for depth...and I think platooning Duce and Parker with Verron thrown in for good measure will help keep all 3 productive and healthy.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-07-2006, 03:41 AM
I don't think we ARE comfortable at RB...I believe that is still an area of concern, but slips from #1 need with the Haynes signing for depth...and I think platooning Duce and Parker with Verron thrown in for good measure will help keep all 3 productive and healthy.

You said that even the Steelers don't know who'll they draft. I agree.

Platooning the 'Three' could certainly work but...I don't feel that will play out.

Why did they deactivate Verron when Duce was clearly a liability?????

coachspeak33
04-07-2006, 09:10 AM
We will not take a RB in the first round... for the same reasons Haynes and Staley rotated for one spot... Cowher will not dress 4 HB

Suitanim
04-07-2006, 09:53 AM
You said that even the Steelers don't know who'll they draft. I agree.

Platooning the 'Three' could certainly work but...I don't feel that will play out.

Why did they deactivate Verron when Duce was clearly a liability?????

I don't remember this happening. I remember Verron being dinged up, and I remember Duce dressing and playing when Bettis was hurt...was this earlier in the season?

It seems to me that the strategy that emerged was Parker/Verron were one side of the equation, with Bus/Duce on the other, with the emphasis on keeping Duce off the field because he was going to be gimpy all year.

coachspeak33
04-07-2006, 10:30 AM
Something else.... RB may be one of our deeper positions on the team. Maybe not in terms of pure talent... but we have three guys, who combined with our O-line & scheme, could definitely carry the load if injury occured for a few week stretch.

Maybe they take a flyer on a RB with 1 of their three 4th round picks or one of their two 5th rounders

Gotta think round 1 thru 3 go (in no particular order): WR, LB, DB, or O-line

Busforever
04-07-2006, 05:07 PM
We will not take a RB in the first round... for the same reasons Haynes and Staley rotated for one spot... Cowher will not dress 4 HB

Remember that we drafted Noah Herron last year as a 4th RB (round 6 I think), and he only had a role in preseason and in the begining when both Staley & Bettis were injured. When Bettis was healthy (so we had 3 backs), Herron left.

This year, Staley is scheduled to be on the field. So Haynes & Parker. So I don't think the Steelers will draft any RB.

MNsteelers
04-07-2006, 05:20 PM
DE?S?WR?RB so hard to tell which direction we will go but I think out of the first four rounds you see one of each of these mentioned according to BPA.
With DeAngelo falling he might be a option.

And to go back to the Mangold discussions. If Hartings leaves next year wouldn't we still draft a C for competition? Knowing this is a stronger C draft than in recent memory, I wouldn't be surprised if Mangold was drafted. History of our drafts show we love picking linemen early, and just because we read Okobi is the future doesn't make it fact. and if all better options are on the board do we reach or go for a solid player in Mangold ? ? Last time we reached we ended up with a Troy Edwards. Mangold as earlier mentioned can play multiple positions, back up at RG ? ?

I just tried to look at teams needs the other day and realistic draft options, and saw that everyone the Steelers were rumored to pick in 1 with a solid one grade was off the board. I think I had Alston left over a hybrid S/OLB, oh and Maurice Drew if we wanted to reach there. Not that my mock is how it plays out but Whitner,Simpson,Carpenter,Greenway,White,Maroney, and Lawson could all very well be off the board by the time 32 rolls around.

Do you pick a

Mangold
Alston
Drew

or trade down ? ?

I think how the draft plays out by pick 24 we should know if we should trade up 5 spots.

But if the FO doesn't want to pull the trigger we could end up with a lesser talent.

Which again brings us right back to Mangold.........

I've been going back and forth on this, and I think it very well be Mangold. The 32nd pick in the draft is not exactly desireable. No team is going to want to trade more than one pick to get it, cuz it's a second round pick to every other team in the draft.

The Steelers have prided themselves on dominant centers in their run game (Mike Webster, Demontti Dawson, to a lesser extent albeit a good one, Jeff Hartings). The rumbles about Sinorice Moss are usually made by either A. people who don't follow football and think Antwaan Randle El's 35 catches need to be replaced RIGHT NOW, or B. people who seem to forget Pittsburgh brought in Cedric Wilson last year to fill this exact situation. He's not a very valuable player in this offense, and I like to think the Steelers learned from their Troy Edwards mistake, and won't draft a player higher than his ability dictates, regardless of "need."

Best case scenario for Sinorice: Like his brother Santana or like Steve Smith; a small and very quick and athletic WR who makes big plays. Regardless of Ben's run through the playoffs, don't think for one second that Cowher is instantly going to be looking vertical like they were in 2003 (ironically, it was because of that philosophy that Roethlisberger was drafted with the 11th pick). Pittsburgh is a run-first team, and a deep "threat" doesn't really accentuate that ability.

But Mangold does.

The question becomes are either of these spots where Pittsburgh really wants to look? Honestly, I don't think it matters right now. They are going to wait until 31 picks are off the board and take the best player available who will contribute to Steelers football.

And that ain't Moss...

Haiku_Dirtt
04-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Remember that we drafted Noah Herron last year as a 4th RB (round 6 I think), and he only had a role in preseason and in the begining when both Staley & Bettis were injured. When Bettis was healthy (so we had 3 backs), Herron left.

This year, Staley is scheduled to be on the field. So Haynes & Parker. So I don't think the Steelers will draft any RB.

Herron didn't leave. Green Bay swooped him from our practice squad.

Staley has been scheduled to be on the field since we paid him his initial signing bonus. But since Halloween 2004 - yes 2004 - Duce has contributed a not-so-grand total of 271 yards.

Repeat. In the past one and one-half seasons Duce Staley has rushed for 271 yards.

If Verron becomes anything more than a borderline No. 2/3 RB then I'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm not holding my breath.

If this is what some would consider being "deep" at RB then I'd be reluctantly curious what "shallow" looks like. Thank god Kevin Colbert is probably not thinking that we are "deep" at RB.

Dook
04-09-2006, 07:29 PM
I think they'll take C Mangold if he's the best talent available but if WR Sinorice Moss is there I would take him. He's penciled in to go around there so it's not a reach and he does have the possibility to be a real steal.

We may be a run first team but without the ability to pass in the playoffs we would have not made it to the AFC Championship.

I still think there are good big RB's deep into this draft, Cedric Humes, Wali Lundy, maybe Gerald Riggs can be had in the 3rd and 4th round.

coachspeak33
04-10-2006, 09:53 AM
I like Mangold's ability... but I would question his selection a little bit due to the financial commitments they have made to Okobi... whether any of us like Chucky or not the Steelers have made somewhat of a long term commitment to him... therefore this selection would puzzle me.

Our depth at O-line is a slight question mark... but drafting for O line depth in round 1 would be a mistake in my estimation... with the talent evaluators the Steelers have and a bevy of additional picks (the compensatory picks that we cant trade) in round 4 and 5, I would much rather see them attempt to address depth issues later in the draft.

To me round 1 selections should be players that help your team for 16 games, instead of a few, where that players playing time is based solely on an unfortunate injury to a starter.

Look at Trai Essex (2005, 3rd round pick), for example, he is not going to scare anybody as a starting T right now, but we learned that he could possibly develop down the road, based on gutty efforts against some of the leagues best DE (Freeney and Suggs).

I see Mangold's name given as a prime option for the Steelers on TV, print, and the net, but I dont get it... Both of our T's (Smith and Starks) have jobs securely locked up for a while, Faneca is going nowhere anytime soon, They have several million invested in two C's already, and they are going to give Simmons another season and hope he remains healthy for another full season.

Suitanim
04-10-2006, 10:09 AM
Yup...I'd love to have Mangold, but I don't see it happening...

Dook
04-12-2006, 06:13 PM
I think it depends on who is available at 32. If WR Moss is there then we take him, if one of the RB's fall (Moroney?) then we may take him. If S Whitner falls I'm sure we grab him instead. We might even grab C Mangold if he's the best talent available at 32 and just hang on to him to compete for the starting spot next year.

Here's what I'm leaning towards:
1st WR Sinorice Moss, may get S Whitner or Simpson
2nd S Bernard Pollard, may get RB Addai, RB Drew, or WR Martin Nance
3rd RB Wali Lundy
4th OLB Terna Nande and RB Cedric Humes and WR Hank Baskett
6th C or OL
7th DE

If we take a WR in the 1st, then we don't take on in the 4th. If we take a RB in the 2nd then we don't take one in the 4th. If we take a Safety in the 1st then we don't take one in the 2nd.

tony hipchest
04-12-2006, 07:22 PM
I think it depends on who is available at 32. If WR Moss is there then we take him, if one of the RB's fall (Moroney?) then we may take him. If S Whitner falls I'm sure we grab him instead. We might even grab C Mangold if he's the best talent available at 32 and just hang on to him to compete for the starting spot next year.

Here's what I'm leaning towards:
1st WR Sinorice Moss, may get S Whitner or Simpson
2nd S Bernard Pollard, may get RB Addai, RB Drew, or WR Martin Nance
3rd RB Wali Lundy
6th C or OL
7th DE

If we take a WR in the 1st, then we don't take on in the 4th. If we take a RB in the 2nd then we don't take one in the 4th. If we take a Safety in the 1st then we don't take one in the 2nd.

i like this list. if mangold fell to #32 i think i like him better than WR Sinorice Moss, S Whitner or Simpson.

i like the idea of m. nance AND h. baskett instead of s. moss. get 2 wr with a 2nd and 4 instead of 1 with a #1

c. humes and m. robinson with a 3rd or 4th (we may have to reach with either of these)

use the remaining picks on olb (2), de(2) and one o-lineman (1). maybe exchange one of these for a safety.

TRADE UP if were close enough to snagging someone we feel is a possible blue-chipper and who can either contribute immediately or save us big $$$ in the next few years!

Midnightwriter1
04-12-2006, 07:39 PM
no moss no moss no moss god please .. no moss

tony hipchest
04-12-2006, 07:45 PM
no moss no moss no moss god please .. no moss

or as they say en espanol

"no mas, no mas, no mas.........." :sofunny: for those who dont hablas spanish:

no mas="no more [wr drafted in the 1st round]"

Dook
04-13-2006, 11:10 AM
We may draft C Mangold but there's something about having 3 center's against our salary cap that bothers me.

I know everyone says Hartings is gone next year but what if he gives us another pro bowl year next year and he wants to play one more year after that?

WR Sinorice Moss: I think he will compete for a WR position but he would probably be of most value as a PR/KR guy, small and quick.

But I would't mind:

1st S Simpson or Whitner
2nd RB Addai or Drew
3rd WR Nance
6th OL
7th DE or OL

Midnightwriter1
04-13-2006, 06:05 PM
the thing is , as shown in past, if we took Mangold, he or Okobi could change positions. Mangold could play Center or guard. The Steelers may want him to be able to play him at both and then make that decision when Hartings does retire. So is not neccessarily having 3 centers. Would be 1 center and 2 players who could possibly play center / guard. If we took a OL/ mangold in first round ... we would be set for a few years on our line which would be comforting since we have Essix and Kemo as role players now waiting their turns.

tootalltoscore
04-17-2006, 07:13 PM
I have replied in another thread elsewhere but my own thoughts are that we may select Mangold in the first, he is capable of playing either as G/C may be considered an upgrade over Simmons.

I cannot see Lendale lasting to 32 if he did we should snap him up he could be another steal like Heath was.

I'm hoping though that he is selected by another team before we pick and that we go for a Safety, Ko Simpson would be great or Daniel Bullocks.

In Round 2 we go for Brandon Marshall WR or Stovall if he is still available.

Round 3 Either Daryll TappDE Greg Eslinger C. Dontrell Moore RB/Greg Jennings WR

Round 4 Steve Fifita DT and Montavious Stanley DT, Will Blackmon CB or DeMario Minter CB

Round 5 Kai Parham LB or Jon Alston LB

Round 6 BPA

steel-EERS
04-18-2006, 10:20 PM
if white would fall to the low 20's could anyone see the team trading up a few spots to keep carolina from taking white?

BigDude66687
04-19-2006, 12:04 AM
its possible but i doubt the steelers would be willing to part with more than a fourth and fifth rounder to move up or staley if their drafting white they wouldnt need staley anymore

Haiku_Dirtt
04-20-2006, 02:59 PM
We may draft C Mangold but there's something about having 3 center's against our salary cap that bothers me.

I know everyone says Hartings is gone next year but what if he gives us another pro bowl year next year and he wants to play one more year after that?

WR Sinorice Moss: I think he will compete for a WR position but he would probably be of most value as a PR/KR guy, small and quick.

But I would't mind:

1st S Simpson or Whitner
2nd RB Addai or Drew
3rd WR Nance
6th OL
7th DE or OL

I would only risk a third on Addai or Drew. I think they are 'tweeners' with a major hurdle to advance at the next level. I'm hoping a second rounder will at least step in as a special teamer immediately.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-20-2006, 03:01 PM
if white would fall to the low 20's could anyone see the team trading up a few spots to keep carolina from taking white?

One can only hope...a little over a week until we can move beyond wondering.

SteelCityMan786
04-20-2006, 06:21 PM
My Bet is that the 1st pick I had suggested(Lendale White) will be gone by the time The Steelers Pick. If That is the Case. Maurice Drew or Bobby Carpenter would be what I think will be the Steelers 1st round pick

Haiku_Dirtt
04-21-2006, 02:59 PM
My Bet is that the 1st pick I had suggested(Lendale White) will be gone by the time The Steelers Pick. If That is the Case. Maurice Drew or Bobby Carpenter would be what I think will be the Steelers 1st round pick

I bet $$$ that Drew won't be taken in the first. I wouldn't be disappointed with Carpenter. But I'm wondering if being surrounded with good players at OSU helped his cause.

SteelCityMan786
04-21-2006, 10:54 PM
The Sporting News Projected Steelers Picks
Rd. Overall Player Pos. School
1 32 Rodrique Wright DT Texas
2 64 DeMario Minter CB Georgia
3 96 Michael Robinson WR Penn State
4 129 Demetrius Williams WR Oregon
4 131 Wali Lundy RB Virginia
4 133 Jason Spitz C Louisville
5 164 Spencer Havner OLB UCLA
5 167 Zach Strief OT Northwestern
6 201 Nate Salley S Ohio State
7 240 Brett Basanez QB Northwestern

I don't know if the Steelers would pick up Basanez. Even though they need a 3rd String. The Steelers could use Robinson as a 3rd String and play him like Randle El in trick situations.

Suitanim
04-22-2006, 09:14 AM
The Sporting News is retarded. I get the mag, but always take their draft stuff with a grain of salt. For starters, they have Wright listed as only the 6th best DT in the draft, and have him listed as a late 2nd round pick, so why would the Steelers take this guy when possibly 4 better DT's will still be available?

They also have Clark listed as the for sure replacement for Hope, totally disreagding the teams need for depth at the position.

Then they have us taking a CB in 2, which is probably the area we have the DEEPEST depth on the whole team, then a project (Robinson) in Rd 3, then they have Demetrius Williams (who some have ranked as the #1 WR in this draft) falling all the way to us in Rd 4.

The funny thing is the SN has Gary Dulac reporting for them, and every draft report he's done for the last month has the Steelers selecting a WR in Rd's 1 or 2...it's almost like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

I'd say the SN mock is almost worthless.

Haiku_Dirtt
04-22-2006, 03:49 PM
The Sporting News Projected Steelers Picks
Rd. Overall Player Pos. School
1 32 Rodrique Wright DT Texas
2 64 DeMario Minter CB Georgia
3 96 Michael Robinson WR Penn State
4 129 Demetrius Williams WR Oregon
4 131 Wali Lundy RB Virginia
4 133 Jason Spitz C Louisville
5 164 Spencer Havner OLB UCLA
5 167 Zach Strief OT Northwestern
6 201 Nate Salley S Ohio State
7 240 Brett Basanez QB Northwestern

I don't know if the Steelers would pick up Basanez. Even though they need a 3rd String. The Steelers could use Robinson as a 3rd String and play him like Randle El in trick situations.

No way Demetrius Williams is the 129th pick. I'd be absolutely floored if he falls to the third round let alone the 4th. The draft is weak this year for receivers. And Micheal Robinson ahead of Williams is a little bizarre.

ben2hines=6
04-22-2006, 07:57 PM
all this talk about a d tackle in the first round is crap....so i was wondering whom would u rather see the steelers take in the first round....now according to keiper, white and moss may be there and i am pulling more towards moss based on the kick and punt capabilities. and what does everybody think about lundy in the third or fourth round

SteelCityMan786
04-22-2006, 09:40 PM
No way Demetrius Williams is the 129th pick. I'd be absolutely floored if he falls to the third round let alone the 4th. The draft is weak this year for receivers. And Micheal Robinson ahead of Williams is a little bizarre.

Well it's a "Mock Draft" After all

Haiku_Dirtt
04-23-2006, 02:35 PM
Well it's a "Mock Draft" After all

I attempted to put one together but all I could muster up was :dang:. Without really watching most of the second and third tier players my wheels were spinning.

But this is my first year with TiVo and 80 hours of recording space :cool:

Bring on football!!!!

clevestinks
04-24-2006, 04:51 PM
I agree but I could see those two flip flopped

BB2W
04-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Drafting No. 32 doesn't lower Steelers' expectations for draft

PITTSBURGH (AP) - Troy Polamalu. Alan Faneca. Kendall Simmons.
The Pittsburgh Steelers would seemingly have numerous reasons to think this might be their least productive NFL draft in years, given they pick 32nd and last in the first round Saturday.

But the last three times the Steelers were to have drafted among the last seven teams or lower in the first round, they have come up with two All-Pro players, Polamalu and guard Alan Faneca, plus Simmons, their other starting guard.

"We are not going to lose in the first round," director of football operations Kevin Colbert said Monday. "That is the way we are going to look at it. I am confident there are 32 players that we can take as a first pick that will definitely help this team."

While they don't have high draft slots, the Steelers have lots of them - 10 in seven rounds, thanks to three compensatory picks for losing free agents. That means they have draft picks to dangle should they want to move up in the draft, as they did three years ago by jumping from No. 27 to No. 16 to draft Polamalu.

The Steelers, coming off their first Super Bowl championship in 26 years, have proven repeatedly that where a team drafts isn't as important as how well it drafts.

Because they have long had a policy of spending nearly as much research time on the bottom end of the draft as the top, their roster is littered with players who were passed up by others. Of their 11 defensive starters in the Super Bowl, only two were drafted by them in the second round or above - and five went in the fourth round or below.

On offence, two starters weren't drafted at all - fullback Dan Kreider and running back Willie Parker, both of whom were rookie free agents signed after the draft ended. The biggest play in the Steelers' 21-10 victory over Seattle in the Super Bowl might have been Parker's 75-yard touchdown run early in the second half.

"We are going to spend as much time on the middle and late rounds as we do on the first-round guys," Colbert said - a philosophy that, in other cities, might be the subject of fan ridicule. "From our standpoint there is really not a lot of difference."

Even if, of course, there often is - the only two quarterbacks to win a Super Bowl for Pittsburgh, Terry Bradshaw and Ben Roethlisberger, were first-rounders. Bradshaw was a No. 1 pick and Roethlisberger, at least in his first two NFL seasons, has played like one.

Because the Steelers don't feel pressure to fill any starting jobs in the draft, coach Bill Cowher said quarterback is the only position being ruled out for their first-round pick. While they lost starters Antwaan Randle El, Chris Hope and Kimo von Oelhoffen to free agency, they already have replacements in place - wide receiver Cedrick Wilson for Randle El, safety Ryan Clark for Hope and Brett Keisel for von Oelhoffen. Wilson and Keisel were already with them and Clark was signed away from the Redskins.

The Steelers do need defensive backs, as they have only three safeties under contract. Because they own so many picks, they expect to draft a safety and cornerback even if they package one or two picks to move up in the first or second round.

If they do try to move up in the first round, it might be to get a wide receiver such as Florida's Chad Jackson.

Should they choose to stay at No. 32, perhaps looking to get Notre Dame receiver Maurice Stovall in the second round, players who might be available include Tennessee defensive back Jason Allen, Ohio State centre Nick Mangold, Miami receiver Sinorice Rice, North Carolina State linebacker Manny Lawson and Ohio State linebacker Bobby Carpenter.

And what if running back LenDale White of Southern Cal winds up dropping to No. 32? After all, the Steelers have had considerable success with big running backs - Jerome Bettis and Franco Harris among them - and with Southern Cal players (Polamalu, Lynn Swann).

"Jerome Bettis was a big part of what this team has done over the course of his career," Colbert said. "Losing him from the field is one thing, and then losing him in the locker-room is another thing. That is a big loss. Whether we are going to be able to address it or not, we will see as it goes."

link: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-draft-steelers&prov=ap&type=lgns

Steeler Sean
04-24-2006, 06:41 PM
I'm sure the Steelers will draft well as they always do. I really don't buy them drafting Nick Mangold. Hartings is still here and we just extended Chucki Okobi's contract by 2 years. It just doesn't make sense. The other names i've heard all sound great and I look forward to seeing who we actually end up with. :tt:

83-Steelers-43
04-26-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm sure the Steelers will draft well as they always do.

I agree.

BB2W, good article.

SteelerFanInCA
04-26-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm all for Lendale White if he's still available.

Palmers Knee
04-26-2006, 10:32 PM
I think if Lendale is there when you pick, he's as good as gone. You'd be foolish not to take him. I don't look forward to playing the guy twice a year, and that combine and weight stuff is probably a bit overblown, especially if his hammy is really banged up. As a Bengals fan, I hope you don't take him. We'll just have to wait and see, won't we.

83-Steelers-43
04-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Anybody see Hodge and Salibury going at it on ESPN? LOL. They were literally yelling at each other. I thought Hodge was going to knock Salisbury into next week. That would have made my day.

Palmers Knee
04-27-2006, 10:20 PM
Shit, you don't know the half. I like Merrill, he lives here in Northern Kentucky in my hometown. But the guy was saying some crazy stuff on Dan Patrick's radio show today. He thinks Leinart is a 3rd round talent, and unless Young wants to stop playing QB, he's not worth a first DAY pick. He says Cutler is the best of the 3 and the only legit 1st rounder. That's ballsy.

Dook
04-28-2006, 03:25 PM
My final draft wish list:

1st WR Sinorice Moss
2nd S Pat Watkins
3rd RB Gerald Riggs
6th C or OL
7th DE

Moss might be a good #3 WR and can fill our PR/KR need. The two RB's are big backs (Riggs is 231 lbs and Humes is 227). I've read good things about the OLB's I picked, at least one should become a backup.

Still hoping for RB Lendale White or one of the top two WR's to fall to us but I doubt it.

tony hipchest
04-28-2006, 04:14 PM
Moss might be a good #3 WR and can fill our PR/KR need.

"might be a good #3"? sounds like desmond howard.

tony hipchest
04-28-2006, 05:58 PM
who is harder to replace?

jerome bettis
randle el
von oelhoffen
hope

you gotta use a 1st rounder to replace a 1st rounder. and whites not bam morris or onterrio smith.

Blitzburgh55
04-28-2006, 07:54 PM
I hope we get White

STEEL-MAN
04-29-2006, 09:19 AM
Jason Allen at #1

Drew at #2 or trade up to get a DE or OLB, maybe Hali if he falls

Avoid Lloyd
04-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Shit, you don't know the half. I like Merrill, he lives here in Northern Kentucky in my hometown. But the guy was saying some crazy stuff on Dan Patrick's radio show today. He thinks Leinart is a 3rd round talent, and unless Young wants to stop playing QB, he's not worth a first DAY pick. He says Cutler is the best of the 3 and the only legit 1st rounder. That's ballsy.

Merrill's record when it comes to the draft speaks for itself.

He makes Kiper look like a blubbering jackass.

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Merrill's record when it comes to the draft speaks for itself.

He makes Kiper look like a blubbering jackass.
Kiper is a jackass!

steveironcity
04-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Does anyone think Lendale White will be avalible at 32?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 04:01 PM
8 more picks to go.. Comon Lendale White!! Be there baby !!!

Sharkissle29
04-29-2006, 04:12 PM
do we really want him? seems like he'll bring trouble....

HburgXL06
04-29-2006, 04:20 PM
We're up

BuFu

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 04:20 PM
waahoo!! we moved up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 04:21 PM
Santonio Holmes it is !!!!!! Welcome to the Black n Gold !!!!!!!!!!!!!

STEEL-MAN
04-29-2006, 04:21 PM
we traded up for who? WR?

Sharkissle29
04-29-2006, 04:23 PM
i like this pick

STEEL-MAN
yaaaaaaaa. Holmes...............whoooo yaaa

HburgXL06
So wait we picked early? Who do we have left to fill? Is White gonna be still around or do you think he is gone now?

BuFu

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 04:25 PM
We gave up a 3rd and 4th round this year to get him! The further Holmes dropped the further Cowher and Whizenhunt must have been salivating !

The JoKeR
04-29-2006, 04:26 PM
So wait we picked early? Who do we have left to fill? Is White gonna be still around or do you think he is gone now?

BuFu

not unless he's available at 64 ... steelers gave up their 3rd and a 4th round pick for it....good pick though

Sharkissle29
someone fill me in......
we swapped spots with nyg and gave our 3rd and 4th round picks? thats pretty bad....
do we have more picks in those rounds and have a few to give up or what?

silver2000svt
Good pick... Although D'Angelo Williams is going to be a stud

STEEL-MAN
04-29-2006, 04:27 PM
yeahhhh baby! we got a play maker!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 04:27 PM
We got 2 of our compensatory picks in the 4th round so we could afford to spare our regular 4th round pick.

MichiSteeler
04-29-2006, 04:28 PM
Good pick i guess, im glad its one of my buckeyes but i was really looking forward to LenDale White... Oh well, hopefully Santonio will add a new dimension to our offense, will he be #2 or 3?

STEEL-MAN
04-29-2006, 04:29 PM
We're still good, plenty of good picks left maybe will move up in the second as well

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Wouldnt surprise me to see us try and get back into a better spot in the 3rd round now...

HburgXL06
04-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Well White has had weight/injury/substance problems flyin around so it prolly gave off a negative feel to Cowher and the Steelers. I'm happy wit Holmes he seems like a great player and a great guy. Peace.

BuFu

Edit: Are they gettin new players from college or tradin around wit other teams or both. I'm gettin confused.

silver2000svt
04-29-2006, 04:31 PM
I think we gave up too much though... At least we didn't waste it

Ambridge
04-29-2006, 04:32 PM
This is a stupid move IMO.:dang:
Running back was the priority and the Steelers give away a 3rd and 4th round pick just to flip flop with the Giants in order to take a receiver??

I don't like it one bit.......who's going to be left at RB at #64.

tootalltoscore
WOW! What a great move by the Steelers.

Santonio Holmes will fit right in Return man for both punts and kickoffs

Kudos to the draft team.:bouncy:

Sharkissle29
Wouldnt surprise me to see us try and get back into a better spot in the 3rd round now...
we need to get a 3rd round pick first :)

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 04:33 PM
we need to get a 3rd round pick first :)

Thats what I mean, we just gave it away, so we may try and package some of our picks to get into a better spot than we originally had.

HburgXL06
04-29-2006, 04:34 PM
I think Cowher is thinkin Duce will be healthy maybe that's why they aren't goin after a RB so hard.......dunno.

BuFu

Suitanim
04-29-2006, 04:35 PM
There you go...Lendale White slips into the second round.

Ambridge, where did you get that RB was #1? It was always #2 or #3, depending on how much faith you have in Ryan.

SteelersFever
04-29-2006, 04:35 PM
I think this is also an excellent pick. We desperately needed another strong WR and KR.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Cowher seems pretty stoked, and apparently WR was there choice in Round 1 all along , especially one that could help in the return game.

STEEL-MAN
we need to snag a S, OLB and rb for depth and we'll be good

HburgXL06
Cowher sounds like he is confident in Staley, Parker, and Hayne. RB up next?

BuFu

Rush58
04-29-2006, 04:38 PM
When do the Steelers select again?

STEEL-MAN
Drew would be good!

SteelersFever
I feel the same as Cowher. Despite losing Jerome Bettis, we still have a lot of depth, power and speed in the backfield.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 04:40 PM
This is a stupid move IMO.:dang:
Running back was the priority and the Steelers give away a 3rd and 4th round pick just to flip flop with the Giants in order to take a receiver??

I don't like it one bit.......who's going to be left at RB at #64.

here's a few that we have to choose from..

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/2006_profiles.cfm?pos=RB

If you think about it too, we may very well have been looking at Lendale, but because we dont a decent proven returner/WR like we had in ARE, this pick makes sense when you think about it. We have depth and experience at RB but not that much at WR that can return punts too. I still think we'll get a RB in this draft, but dont be surprised if its on day 2.. we dont normally go for RB's early on in the draft anyways.

STEEL-MAN
Holmes will make a hell of difference, he'll demand double team. Congrats Ben you got a passing team...

HburgXL06
I feel the same as Cowher. Despite losing Jerome Bettis, we still have a lot of depth, power and speed in the backfield.

I'm wit you on that. Altho it still can be scary since Duce seems so prone to injury....but I have faith in Cowher.

BuFu

STEEL-MAN
04-29-2006, 04:43 PM
The Jets, same shit just a different year

HburgXL06
04-29-2006, 04:44 PM
The Jets, same shit just a different year

What you mean?

BuFu

STEEL-MAN
04-29-2006, 04:46 PM
Look for us to move up for KO! Bing may be there as well. Think about it we only need 3 players

STEEL-MAN
04-29-2006, 04:48 PM
What you mean?

they fill up the place (draft) every year and still end up at the bottom

Ambridge
04-29-2006, 04:49 PM
There you go...Lendale White slips into the second round.

Ambridge, where did you get that RB was #1? It was always #2 or #3, depending on how much faith you have in Ryan.

Moving up and giving away a third and fourth round pick just to add to a fairly strong receiving corp and in hopes of developing another Randle El just seems like a stretch
move IMO.

HburgXL06
04-29-2006, 04:50 PM
What you mean?

Oh ...aiight that is true I didn't know if you were referrin to a specific pick they made this year vs. other years.

BuFu

Ambridge
04-29-2006, 04:51 PM

Aside from Willie Parker there's a lot of injury prone depth in the backfield.

HburgXL06
04-29-2006, 04:53 PM
Moving up and giving away a third and fourth round pick just to add to a fairly strong receiving corp and in hopes of developing another Randle El just seems like a stretch
move IMO.

Randel El was a QB in college, Holmes was just a receiver/returner. I don't know if you can teach him to throw like ARE at this point.

BuFu

HburgXL06
04-29-2006, 04:54 PM
I like Lendale and would love to see him play for us but I think someone else will. It can be easy to see him play well on films but its a matter of character. We'll see.

BuFu

Ambridge
04-29-2006, 04:57 PM
Randel El was a QB in college, Holmes was just a receiver/returner. I don't know if you can teach him to throw like ARE at this point.

BuFu

Thanks for making my point.
Holmes can't throw the ball and is just another good receiver who the Steelers hope to use to pick up the slack in the special teams game.

Suitanim
04-29-2006, 04:58 PM
Holmes won't be another #2 #3 type guy. He'll be the heir apparent to Hines Ward.

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 04:58 PM
What you mean?

They fill the place and boo the whole friggin day! New

Rush58
04-29-2006, 05:05 PM
When are the steelers selecting again?

SteelersNationsfl
04-29-2006, 05:11 PM
32 64 http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/round/round2

Rotorhead
04-29-2006, 05:20 PM
I like the pick, was hoping for a good WR with one of the first 2 picks, and we just got the best on the board. I agree that he appears to be Ward's heir, only faster!

Ambridge
04-29-2006, 05:32 PM
I think it's going way out on limb to think Holmes is the heir to Ward.......and the Steelers had at least another season or two to even start thinking about looking for Ward's replacement.

Unless the Steelers pull another Willie Parker out of the hat except with some more size and durability in the later rounds and/or free agency taking Holmes first IMO will come back to bite the Steelers in the ass.

Remember you heard it hear first.

BigBen2WardPITT
04-29-2006, 05:54 PM
When do u think lendale will go?

Another question, could he fall to the 64th for pitt?

Another question, u think the steelers would move up to get him?

Suitanim
04-29-2006, 06:05 PM
I think it's going way out on limb to think Holmes is the heir to Ward.......and the Steelers had at least another season or two to even start thinking about looking for Ward's replacement.

Unless the Steelers pull another Willie Parker out of the hat except with some more size and durability in the later rounds and/or free agency taking Holmes first IMO will come back to bite the Steelers in the ass.

You were also absolutely convinced that Cowher had to go as late as 6-7 months ago.

Holmes is the real deal. After Edwards then Plex, it'd be impossible for the Steelers to be fooled 3 times.

STEEL-MAN
04-29-2006, 06:07 PM

AND LAST! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT
HOLMES WAS A CLASS MOVE
AMAZING MOVE!

Suitanim
04-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Holmes will be the first Steelers WR to actually make an impact in the first year since...Louis Lipps.

BigBen2WardPITT
04-29-2006, 06:20 PM
we need a freakin RB.

and white is gone

BigBen2WardPITT
04-29-2006, 06:51 PM
we need a freakin RB.

and white is gone

im really feeling that whole kordell stewart, we need to draft a qb thing happenin for rb now. We waited way too long to get a QB in the draft, now we need a RB, and we arent getting one, it may not be exactly the same, and maybe im wrong, but im feeling that, and its not good.

year after year in the draft we didnt draft one, we trusted that kordell would get the job done.

now we expect injured duce and willie to get it done. Maybe we can find someone here, but i really feel we should of tried harder to get Lendale White, i dont want years and years of pain in the season and draft because we dont have a huge peice of our team/offense. Lendale was perfect, hes gone, im pissed.

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 06:54 PM

The difference is Plax and Edwards were drafted to early, the Steelers bit on them to soon, we blew it. And screw Holmes being the heir to Hines Ward, I want him along side Ward.

Ambridge
04-29-2006, 07:04 PM
The difference is Plax and Edwards were drafted to early, the Steelers bit on them to soon, we blew it. And screw Holmes being the heir to Hines Ward, I want him along side Ward.

If the Steelers had Holmes number one on their board all along I'm starting to think that he might have fell to them at #32 without making the deal with the Giants.

That could be a big bite way too soon as well.

SteelersNationsfl
04-29-2006, 08:02 PM
Two more picks and we're up. Let's see what happens!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Bout damn time !!!

tootalltoscore
04-29-2006, 08:06 PM
If the Steelers had Holmes number one on their board all along I'm starting to think that he might have fell to them at #32 without making the deal with the Giants.

That could be a big bite way too soon as well.

Ok, that is a fair comment, but Holmes is clearly the No 1 receiver in this draft, he is strong in his route-running, a team player and able to return kicks and punts.

Also I personally don't think he would have still been there at #32

Whilst commenting apologies to Suitanim who I disagreed with in that he suggested we needed to pick a WR in the first round, but in my defence I never believed that Holmes would be available, I thought Sinorice Moss was too big a reach at #32.

So having moved up for the No 1 Wr is fantastic and only 7 spots too, though giving up a No3 pick as well does appear a bit rough.

This is what Boylehart says about Holmes:

Strengths

Santonio has very good size, strength and speed for his position. He shows excellent quickness to go along with that speed as well as mental toughness. He has very good hands and runs strong routes. Santonio is a team player and it shows on the field. He is smart and understands situational football.

Bottom Line

Santonio will impact in his first year. He can play special teams for you and scare the crap out of the opponent. He has talent similar to Lee Evans when he came out, but is not as bulky as Lee and he seems to be quicker in and out of his breaks. Before the beginning of this year, my question about Santonio was his hands. The QB for Ohio St improved so much this year that Santonio was able to answer all of those questions for me. Santonio is coming out early, so you expect him to have some difficulty adjusting on and off the field, but he'll be able to impact on special teams as he goes through those adjustments. He is a very good WR, but he'll have to bulk up to be a #1 WR to keep him on the field, prevent injuries and impact. Santana Moss had that same problem when he came into the league; however, when he got into better shape and joined a team with strong coaching, he started to impact. It will be the same for Santonio.

Sounds like music to Steelers fans ears:smile:

clevestinks
04-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Love winning the Super Bowl, but it sucks waiting until 32, 64, 96.........

Sharkissle29
04-29-2006, 08:09 PM
steelers on the clock, round 2

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Love winning the Super Bowl, but it sucks waiting until 32, 64, 96.........

:iagree: :iagree:

we just cant win can we..we bitch cuz we pick late..and we bitch because we picked early :laughing:

83-Steelers-43
04-29-2006, 08:12 PM
Did we just trade with the Vikings?

BigSteelThrill
04-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Must have.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Still trying to find it on the net.... WTF !!

TapOut64
ARgghh, why trade? Minnesota's next pick is 83 overall. Did the Steelers trade 64 for 83?

83-Steelers-43
We are picking round 3 (83) WTF?

SteelerDan43
04-29-2006, 08:16 PM
grrrrrrrr who gives a shit about Javon Walker, they didnt even mention the trade!!

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 08:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/draft?round=3&dl=nfl

pick number 19 in the 3rd round it looks like.. we obviously felt the players we targeted were gone, or we could get them in the mid 3rd round.

drizze99
04-29-2006, 08:17 PM
We have 83 & 95 now in the 3rd

83-Steelers-43
04-29-2006, 08:19 PM
Vikings get: 32nd pick in 2nd round (64th overall, selected QB Tarvaris Jackson).
Steelers get: 19th pick in third round (83rd overall) and 31st pick in third round (95th overall)

I'm not sure how crazy I am about that move....

BigSteelThrill
04-29-2006, 08:20 PM
Vikings get: 32nd pick in 2nd round (64th overall, selected QB Tarvaris Jackson).
Steelers get: 19th pick in third round (83rd overall) and 31st pick in third round (95th overall)

Right on!!!

silver2000svt
04-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Not a bad trade... We are the best 3rd plus round evaluators of talent in the nfl

BigSteelThrill
04-29-2006, 08:23 PM
Let see...

moved up 7 spots in 1st...
moved down 19 spots in the 2nd/3rd...
moved up 1 spot in 3rd...

and lost a 4th round pick.

Mosca
04-29-2006, 08:24 PM
And got the guy we really wanted....

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 08:25 PM
We have the 83rd overall pick and the the 95th overall pick in the 3rd round.

Mosca
04-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Forgive me, but Tarvaris Jackson? I guess we'll find out. I guess my question is, why there?

rgleason
04-29-2006, 08:33 PM
why - explain.

i think its good, pick back up one of the picks we lost. Unless there was someone there we needed to have, better to move back a couple picks and get two quality players instead of one.

theropodx
04-29-2006, 08:40 PM
I get it...so we traded one pick in the 2nd for 2 picks in the 3rd...yes?

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 08:44 PM
I get it...so we traded one pick in the 2nd for 2 picks in the 3rd...yes?

Correct

Mosca
04-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Sheesh, I'm following it on SI.com, they didn't have anything about the Minn swap and showed the Steelers taking TJ, a QB, at 64.

Tom

drizze99
04-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Why aren't you guys following it on www.NFL.com ?

Ambridge
04-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Also I personally don't think he would have still been there at #32

The only other team that could have grabbed Holmes before the Steelers might have been Jacksonville...so why not try and trade up with them and not get gang raped by New York??

SteelersNationsfl
04-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Dallas is on the clock... three more picks and were up.

SteelersNationsfl
04-29-2006, 09:00 PM
Why aren't you guys following it on www.NFL.com (http://www.NFL.com) ?

NFL network has pretty good coverage also.

Livinginthe past
04-29-2006, 09:05 PM
So..who are the Steelers going for in the 3rd then? Has to be a safety right? Bing?

NM

tootalltoscore
04-29-2006, 09:06 PM
The only other team that could have grabbed Holmes before the Steelers might have been Jacksonville...so why not try and trade up with them and not get gang raped by New York??

Perhaps the jags would not have traded........ would you if you wanted Holmes yourself

83-Steelers-43
04-29-2006, 09:07 PM
Safety Anthony Smith (Syracuse)

Livinginthe past
Yeah its a safety...Smith.

I wonder if the Pats will go Kai Parham in the 3rd...the LB field is very thin now.

NM

SteelersNationsfl
1983Pittsburgh (http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/team/PIT) (from Minnesota) Smith, Anthony (http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/smith_anthony)FS (http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/position/FS)6-0193Syracuse (http://www.nfl.com/draft/drafttracker/school/SYR)

tony hipchest
anthony smith from syaracuse? what the hell is up with bing. ko simpson mustve been over rated, unless i missed him being picked already.

tootalltoscore
04-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Anthony Smith

Strengths

Anthony might be one of the most complete safeties in this draft. He is a head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive tackler. He is a smart player that is like a coach out on the field and he shows excellent leadership qualities. Anthony biggest strengths are his burst to the ball, instincts and hands to make the interception. Anthony is a playmaker and I would take him any day on my team.

Needs to Improve

Anthony does not have the pure speed needed to be a cover safety. He needs to keep the play in front of him. He will be more at home in a two deep zone defense. His quick burst to the play should be more impacting and he will get a lot of interceptions for you if a team that uses a two deep zone safety defense drafts him.

Bottom Line
Anthony is a playmaker. He loves to play football. He loves the hitting and the tackling and the mental portion of the game. Anthony makes up for his lack of pure speed by being in the right position and taking the right angles and being decisive in his play on the field. He is a playmaker and when the ball is in the air - as far as he is concern it belongs to him. He will be an excellent special teams player because like I said before - he loves to play. Anthony is one of those players that play?s faster then he times. He is a football player not a track star. I bet when the other players were working on their forty times he was in the film room looking at his next opponent. As far as I?m concerned Anthony is too much of a playmaker not to be picked in on the first day of the draft but it is not unusually for safeties to last longer. Here is the difference ? Anthony is not just a safety. He is a playmaker and that is a big difference when you?re thinking about drafting players to make your team. He is not just a player that is going to come in a do a good job. Anthony is a difference maker.

SteelerDan43
I was def. expecting Bing or Simpson, I dont have any idea who Smith even is lol

BlitzburghRockCity
I just posted a link in his thread I just made, gives his profile.

Guess they figured Between Ryan Clark and Mike Logan we needed some more help. It makes sense in that perspective

Steelillini
04-29-2006, 09:11 PM
Interesting pick. The bio doesn't like his speed but he appears to always be in the right place.

SteelersNationsfl
04-29-2006, 09:11 PM

Yahoo has a pretty cool section where they show highlights of the players chosen.

Check it out.

Livinginthe past
04-29-2006, 09:12 PM
'Playmaker' Tony Smith appears to be a back-up for Troy polamalu.

I would have thought that with Troy's ability to 'make plays' that the steelers would need a good coverage guy to balance things out.

Maybe Ryan Clark will be the 'cover guy'...who knows?

NM

SteelersNationsfl
04-29-2006, 09:14 PM

Yahoo has a pretty cool section where they show highlights of the players chosen.

Check it out.

after a short commercial

drizze99
04-29-2006, 09:20 PM
Great.... is this kid a project?

Smith is not a consistent player. He does not consistently come up quickly in run support, and often seems content to allow teammates to make tackles. He does not consistently tackle well in space and often ends up lunging and missing too many tackles. While he can run with tight ends down the seam, he does not stay with them out of cuts well and allows separation too often. When his back is to the quarterback in man-to-man coverage, he lacks the ball awareness to make plays on the ball.

tootalltoscore
04-29-2006, 09:22 PM
Wonder who they will pick at #95 then, perhaps a DT like Babatunde Oshinawa from Stanford would be a good pick here.

Or if RB perhaps DonTrell Moore from New Mexico either would be a great addition to the team

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 09:23 PM
Great.... is this kid a project?

Smith is not a consistent player. He does not consistently come up quickly in run support, and often seems content to allow teammates to make tackles. He does not consistently tackle well in space and often ends up lunging and missing too many tackles. While he can run with tight ends down the seam, he does not stay with them out of cuts well and allows separation too often. When his back is to the quarterback in man-to-man coverage, he lacks the ball awareness to make plays on the ball.

He's a bit of a project, but has all the intangibles to be an awesome safety. He's got Troy and Ryan in front of him, and can work with Logan too, so he has some time to do his learning curve. Its a safe pick for us in the 3rd round if nothing else.

tony hipchest
04-29-2006, 09:35 PM
Wonder who they will pick at #95 then, perhaps a DT like Babatunde Oshinawa from Stanford would be a good pick here.

Or if RB perhaps DonTrell Moore from New Mexico either would be a great addition to the team
as much as i like the nm guys i hope its r. white from texas, unless hes the 2nd 1st rounder to fail a drug test of course.

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 09:43 PM
We're on the clock shortly.... stay tuned

silver2000svt
04-29-2006, 09:46 PM
Willie Reid is a player... I promise you that... I have seen him play a number of games and was really impressed

BlitzburghRockCity
04-29-2006, 09:47 PM
Odd that we took another WR. I remember seeing him play too in a few games, he's a tough kid which fits our bill at WR on our team.

But still puzzles me that we didnt go for DL or LB. Although there has been a big run at LB's so there isnt much left there.

silver2000svt
04-29-2006, 09:48 PM
I think we needed him too, He will go over the middle and catch everything... He is tough as nails and we can get the ball to him in the seems and across the middle to help free up Holmes and Ward.... I really like this pick up...

SteelerDan43
04-29-2006, 09:48 PM
I guess this says alot about their confidence in Washington being able to contribute

Steelillini
04-29-2006, 09:50 PM
Pros: Reid has the top speed and quickness to make an impact as a deluxe role performer. He is an explosive runner who accelerates once he gets his hands on the ball. He can get open consistently and run away from defenders. He has sure hands that will allow him to become a pro slot receiver with further development. As a punt returner he is elusive with the toughness to take a hit and keep his balance. He has the ability to make the first tackler miss. He secures the ball well and rarely fumbles. As a returner, he is much more effective on punts than kickoffs.
Cons: Lacks good size to win a regular starting job as a receiver in a pro offense.
Numbers: In 2005, Reid led Florida State in all-purpose yardage including 46 receptions for 579 yards and one touchdown, 31 punt returns for a school-record 541 yards and three touchdowns and eight kickoff returns for 145 yards. At the Combine he ran the 40-yard dash in 4.37 seconds with a 37?” vertical jump and 9’9” broad jump.
Skinny: He may never be more than a No. 3 or No. 4 receiver, but his playmaking as a punt returner could earn him a fine career. He is similar to Chad Morton in many ways. Fine second day pick with the talent to provide immediate impact on special teams.

drizze99
04-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Pittsburgh - Reid, Willie - WR - 5-11 - 187 - Florida State

Another WR? When are we going to get a RB, or depth on the D-line?

Hammer67
04-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Pittsburgh - Reid, Willie - WR - 5-11 - 187 - Florida State

Another WR? When are we going to get a RB, or depth on the D-line?

Not so much WR as he will be a special teams player...which the Steelers need.