PDA

View Full Version : Willie colon hurt

SqhillSteeler
06-28-2010, 01:56 PM
I just read that he hurt his Achillies. This could be devestating. http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/7823/Report--Willie-Colon-injured-his-Achilles/Default.aspx

TackleMeBen
06-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Looks like surgery and 5-6 months of rehab.

pete74
06-28-2010, 03:56 PM
wow that blows. we really dont have anyone good enough to replace him(not that he is a great tackle)

Blackvette
06-28-2010, 04:13 PM
What Free Agents are available?

mikegrimey
06-28-2010, 04:14 PM
That's a bad blow for our oline. Even though he wasn't great, he was one of the better starters we had.

TackleMeBen
06-28-2010, 04:14 PM
flozell adams is available..lol:rofl:

and this was a great tweet from schefter

Until now, Steelers OT Willie Colon was best known for accompanying QB Ben Roethlisberger on the night of his Georgia trouble.

Blackvette
06-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Shawn Andrews?

Busforever
06-28-2010, 04:27 PM

Jamarcus Russell:chuckle:

Steelerfreak58
06-28-2010, 05:31 PM
CRAP!

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-28-2010, 06:40 PM
That's a bad blow for our oline. Even though he wasn't great, he was one of the better starters we had.

Actually, Colon is an EXCELLENT right tackle (as long as he l doesn't line up in the neutral zone). This is a huge blow to our Oline-- we better hope Hills or somebody else is ready to go.

fer522
06-28-2010, 06:47 PM
why dont we bring Raymond Earl Pinney Jr. back for 1 year

scsteeler
06-28-2010, 07:08 PM
This is a huge blow Colon does a great job at right tackle. I just hope we can fill that void.

tony hipchest
06-28-2010, 07:16 PM
:scratchchin: the idea of jamarcus russel may not be all that bad. :laughing:

i think willie has been underappreciated, and this may turn into a case of "you dont know what you got until its gone".

this especially sucks for willie who was due for a handsome payday but got slapped with one of our 2 tags.

him and that carolina LB signing their tenders are perfect examples of why the san diego boys refuse to do so.

while i think this is almost a devastating blow to our offensive line ( he has more consecutive starts w/ us at his current position than anyone else) i do not think it will prevent us from putting the best foot furward ans still making the playoiffs.

its definitely and uphill battle now. hills, and scott will have the opportunity to sink or swim. i sure would love for k. urbick to prove he could step in and show some position flexibility (i seriously doubt the steelers would have him and pouncy anchor the right side of the line though).

pete74
06-28-2010, 07:21 PM
The worst-case scenario has unfolded for Pittsburgh Steelers offensive tackle Willie Colon(notes).

Colon is likely to have surgery Wednesday to repair the damage of a torn Achilles tendon suffering during a workout, which was first reported by Scout.com.

Unless his magnetic resonance exam proves different from the initial diagnosis, Colon will be placed on injured reserve.

So, his season is over before it ever starter.

It's a major blow to the Steelers' offens

mikegrimey
06-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Actually, Colon is an EXCELLENT right tackle (as long as he l doesn't line up in the neutral zone). This is a huge blow to our Oline-- we better hope Hills or somebody else is ready to go.]

I don't know. He always seem to be the perpetrator of too many holding and false start penalties to be excellent in my view, he did have his bright spots though and looked better laying blocks last year than he did before.
At least we agree that he was one of hte better o-line starters on our team and that this is going to set us back a bit. I don't know much about Hills, but it doesn't look like the FO or coaches have much confidence in him yet. We might have to go out into free agency and find a suitable journeyman. Basically another Hartwig but at Tackle instead of center.

TackleMeBen
06-28-2010, 10:57 PM
well look at it this way.. now he can rehab down in ga and find more chicks for ben..lol

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-29-2010, 01:02 AM
]

I don't know. He always seem to be the perpetrator of too many holding and false start penalties to be excellent in my view, he did have his bright spots though and looked better laying blocks last year than he did before.

Yeah, like I was saying, neutral zone infractions are his major drawback. You don't often hear much about Willie Colon, but I recall a great thread on another Steelers forum when somebody took the time to do an in-depth statistical analysis on our Oline (looking at stats like Sacks allowed, average yards gained runing ehind them, etc. etc.).

Was a great thread, I'll try to find it and re-post here on SF.

Willie Colon has been, our best Olineman-- even Pro-bowl worthy (even though he'll never get that nomination), followed closely by Kemoeatu. He earns a needlessly bad rap because of all his neutral zone infractions and the fact that our Oline as a unit has not earned muchin the way of accolades the last few years....

Not too surprisingly, the weak point on our offensive line happened to get shoved into the backfield by Darnell Docket on every play in SB XLIII like he was on skiis....hopefully Mr. Pouncey can fix that.

I really don't know who they can find to replace Colon. This is the first loss to our offense this offseason that actually has me concerned. Granted, RT is not as important as LT (who gets the duty of blocking opposing teams' dominant pass-rushers and charged with protecting our QBs blind side), but that was our most dominant side to run the ball, as Colon was a descent bulldozer in the ground game, and with Kemo pulling left, we usually rattled off gains of 10+ yards on the right side (unless Parker was carrying the rock, in which case, it was usually a 1 yard loss).

Busforever
06-29-2010, 08:29 AM
There's a website that rates every player at every position, bringing many "hidden" stats. Here is the page with OT rankings:
http://profootballfocus.com/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2009&pos=T&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=-1&numsnaps=60&numgames=1

According to them, Colon was the 3rd best OT in the NFL last year. Average player in run blocking efficiency, but the very best in pass protection (6 sacks, 4 QB hits and 5 QB pressures against him).
I don't know how they calculate their ratings, but if those numbers brings some objectivity, the loss of Colon is officialy devastating.

Just to compare, they rank Max Starks 18th OT (minimum 60% of snaps)

Overall ratings of our starting O linemen last year:
Colon: 18.4
Starks: 1.9
Kemoeatu: -1.5
Hartwig: -22.6
Essex: -29.3

Again, i don't know how they calculate their ratings, let's be cautious with that (Hartwig -22.6, WTF???)

pete74
06-29-2010, 10:22 AM
I don't consider Colon a top 5 RT and alot of GM's laughed when his agent said he was the top RT in the NFL last year. He is good but should play Guard were I think he would excel. I'm actually excited to see Scott or someone else start there and see how they do.

Riddle_Of_Steel
06-29-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't consider Colon a top 5 RT and alot of GM's laughed when his agent said he was the top RT in the NFL last year. He is good but should play Guard were I think he would excel. I'm actually excited to see Scott or someone else start there and see how they do.

Those GMs can laugh all they want-- the numbers don't lie. He wasn't THE BEST tackle, but ONE OF the best. Folks won't realize that until this year....

pete74
06-29-2010, 07:26 PM
wow our rookie T Scott is also hurt and having surgery. i really hope we dont move Essix to RT

55BaileyFan
07-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Who cares...

Starks, Kemoeatu, Hartwig, Pouncey, Essex

Urbik and Legursky could step in and compete as well, we will be fine.