PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Consider Signing Flozell Adams

pete74
06-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Flozell Adams

SportingNews
Itís been a brutal week for the Pittsburgh Steelers regarding their offensive line. The news that starting right tackle Willie Colon(notes) was lost for the entire season with a torn Achillesí on Monday was followed up by rookie Chris Scott(notes) being sidelined in the wake of foot surgery.

Thatís left the team scrambling just weeks before training camp to find a potential solution on the edge. In house, the possibilities have been guard Trai Essex(notes) or another young tackle, Jonathan Scott(notes).

Now ESPNDallas.com reports Pittsburgh is looking for outside help, arranging a visit with former Cowboys starting left tackle Flozell Adams(notes), who was released by Dallas early this offseason.

Adams, a five-time Pro Bowler, showed some major signs of decline of late, struggling with drawing penalties and allowing sacks. But if he were to play and sign for the Steelers, he would be switching over to the right side, where there is much less pass-protection stress. The last time "The Hotel" was housed at right tackle, however, was as a rookie 12 years ago.

tony hipchest
06-29-2010, 07:49 PM
i think we gotta shoot for the stars with colons replacement. there is no cap. we might as well go big, and flozell is big (in name, resume, and girth) .

i'd prefer jared gaither but that likely doesnt have a shot in hell. not for a 2nd round pick PLUS the contract he would want.

plus theres a school fo thought that adams on the left side and moving starks back to the right would automatically be an upgrade over what we had last season. :noidea:

NJarhead
06-29-2010, 07:51 PM
i think we gotta shoot for the stars with colons replacement. there is no cap. we might as well go big, and flozell is big (in name, resume, and girth) .

i'd prefer jared gaither but that likely doesnt have a shot in hell. not for a 2nd round pick PLUS the contract he would want.

plus theres a school fo thought that adams on the left side and moving starks back to the right would automatically be an upgrade over what we had last season. :noidea:

He draws a lot of penalties which worries me. I'd love to see Pouncey start at G and what happened to Urbik? Can't he play OT?

tony hipchest
06-29-2010, 08:11 PM
He draws a lot of penalties which worries me. I'd love to see Pouncey start at G and what happened to Urbik? Can't he play OT?im not too worried about flozells penalties. they are better than lefty/ben eating turf all season.

im hoping urbick can earn the position, but the steelers shouldnt leave nothing to chance. we need the best possible candidates there for camp competition and let the best man win (plus what if urbick were to get hurt?)

steeltheone
06-29-2010, 09:10 PM
Ok here we are with an old team to begin with and we want to sign a Cowboy ,who they dropped because he was old and in decline?

wootawnee
06-29-2010, 09:16 PM
He got his physical today, let's see if he signs......I hope so....Just for option sake......I wondered why in the world the cowboys let him go....Maybe Romo didnt like him...Who knows but we'll take him........Come on Flo.......Sign that sucka and lets get a ring......

mikegrimey
06-29-2010, 10:13 PM
I saw a few cowboys games last year and I don't know if Flozell would be anything special.
Jared Allen skewered him in the divisional round of hte playoffs. I know it's not the first person Jared Allen has smoked, but the cowboys oline wasn't that hot last year.

tony hipchest
06-30-2010, 12:05 AM
I saw a few cowboys games last year and I don't know if Flozell would be anything special.
Jared Allen skewered him in the divisional round of hte playoffs. I know it's not the first person Jared Allen has smoked, but the cowboys oline wasn't that hot last year.incase anyone missed it, the steelers o-line wasnt that hot last year either and that was with a healthy colon. regular bowel movements were the norm.

flozell might not be anything special but neither will any of the other linemen we run out on day one (with the possible exception being pouncy and even he will look like nothing more than a special rookie with a ton of upside).

thats pretty sad. there are a few very important things to remember here-

1) most steelerfans are now hoping we can find jonothan ogden in his prime to come in and man the right side.

2) flozell was released by the cowboys for the same reason that b. mcfadden and l. foote were. they want too much money with younger players are waiting in the wings for field time. where are foote and bryant now?

3) im sure tony romo didnt mind being sacked only 34 times w/ the hotel protecting his blindside as opposed to bens 50.

im sure romo didnt mind the 6th ranked passing game in the league as opposed to bens 9th.

im almost certain the cowboys didnt mind the 7th ranked rushing offense as opposed to the steelers 19th.

the cowboys had the 2nd ranked offense overall in terms of yards. the difference wasnt the passer or runners...

it was the offensive line.

we can go with an unproven backup, or try to get a starter and still have our unproven back up quality players incase that doesnt work.

mikegrimey
06-30-2010, 01:24 AM
You're absolutely right that Flozell will probably not be any worse than whoever else will start with us.
I didn't mean to suggest that he wouldn't be. Although he may want a bigger contract than the FO is willing to dish out for a 35 year old. But hell, if they're just trying to tighten up the ship for the year why not go out and get Kevin Mawae too---suppossedly he's hearing no offers, and he's be an immediate upgrade over Hartwig.

I'm just hoping we can keep Ben (or whoever) upright because the ravens and bengals are going to definitely bring the heat on them.

pete74
06-30-2010, 09:50 AM
I would take Adams over Essix at RT

TackleMeBen
06-30-2010, 12:40 PM
Ok here we are with an old team to begin with and we want to sign a Cowboy ,who they dropped because he was old and in decline?
the cowboys let him go b/c of salary.

I would take Adams over Essix at RT
i have never been impressed with Essex.

steeltheone
06-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Adams, a five-time Pro Bowler, showed some major signs of decline of late, struggling with drawing penalties and allowing sacks.

Play the young guys or trade for a starter. Im really sick of our senior movement.

tony hipchest
06-30-2010, 09:24 PM
well it seems flozell may just be using the steelers to drum up interest and drive up the price from other teams. as much as we may need him, every team in the league knows the steelers will not get into a bidding war.

most players will not admit as much but almost them all put money before a ring.

pete74
07-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Why is he interviewing with others now

supa_fly_steeler
07-01-2010, 11:36 AM

girth?

55BaileyFan
07-08-2010, 06:10 PM
Yeah lets take Adams who is one of the most penalized tackles in all of football. Lets go from Willie "false start" Colon to Flozell "I'll hold your ass" Adams

Let our guys compete and get the job done.

viking350
07-10-2010, 09:11 AM
i think that is a good idea haveing essex at right tackle now the new is for me are we getting a good lt or not thats all i want to know because with ben gone for a while we need to make sure that are game is awesome and we all need to step it up even the fans

supa_fly_steeler
07-10-2010, 10:54 AM
who cares we not gonna win it this year. lets trade for mike vick for at least some highlights (^^,)

StainlessStill
07-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Jared Allen skewered him in the divisional round of hte playoffs. I know it's not the first person Jared Allen has smoked, but the cowboys oline wasn't that hot last year.

Didn't Starks hold Allen to like, one tackle last season? Obviously, we are now in desperate need of help on the o-line (what else is new.) It seems every year we just can't make that healthy jump. Just when it started to be looking optimistic, Colon goes down.

What worries me is that Starks could be moved to play right tackle and we all know how that project turned out.Starks is clearly a left tackle and plays best on the blind side. Hopefully we reach something soon with a veteran to give us some legs.

BehindSteelCurtain
07-13-2010, 10:50 PM
6'7'' 340 lbs........sign him up !!!!

BrandonCarr39
07-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Yes, Adams is a bonehead who has problems concentrating, but in terms of protecting our QBs blindside over the last decade, whether it's Romo, Bledsoe, Vinny, Aikman, or whoever is put behind center, he has been VERY good in protecting their blindside. For example, whenever we would play the Eagles, Redskins, and Giants, RARELY would I hear Trent Cole's, Justin Tuck's, Andre Carter's, et al names mentioned. These are some of the premier pass rushers in the league.

You saw the Vikings playoff game - when Flo went down, our pass protection went down with it, and we had receivers open ALL over the field(and our kicking game sucked that day too). Jared Allen was schooled Doug Free(who will be our new LT starter) the rest of the game.

I wish we didn't cut him, even despite his age, because LTs just don't grow on trees. It's not like you can grab some joe blow in the 5th round hoping he'll turn into that franchise LT.