PDA

View Full Version : Steal in Free Agency

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-11-2006, 05:38 PM
Almost 7,000 rushing yards in 5 seasons
average 4.4 yards per carry
36 rushing TD in 5 years
42 carries over 20 yards.

These numbers dont sound bad for a 26 year old Free Agent.
They sound even better when you dont know who it is???
Any guesses?
Yes there are questions around him......But cowher could change him.
And like it or not......He would produce as a steeler

Whats his NAME????

boLT fan
02-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Ricky Williams?

My only guess.

Suitanim
02-11-2006, 05:44 PM
No, no NO! No Coke dealer Ratbirds in the Black and Gold!

Kdcobainita
02-11-2006, 05:45 PM
36 rushing TD in 5 years

Any guesses?

Whats his NAME????

edgerrin james?

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-11-2006, 05:46 PM
My Bad,
May not be a free agent......but will most likely be available...due to salary cap cas.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-11-2006, 05:47 PM
No, no NO! No Coke dealer Ratbirds in the Black and Gold!LOL:sofunny:
You got it.........
Is he going to be a FA
or will the rat birds cut him

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-11-2006, 05:49 PM
In his defense, he was young, first year in the league, and really didnt know anyother way.
I would give the guy a second chance but there would be restrictions in his contract
We could get him cheap and have a bunch of incentives in the contnract

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-11-2006, 05:50 PM
edgerrin james?
James would not be a steal in the FA
Hes gonna cost a lot of money

Kdcobainita
02-11-2006, 05:52 PM
James would not be a steal in the FA
Hes gonna cost a lot of money

LOL, thats true... :bouncy:

so, who is this guys??

Suitanim
02-11-2006, 05:53 PM
The Steelers don't take chances with guys like that. And he hardly tore up the league last year.

906 on 269 carries for 3.4 and 3 TD's

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2006, 05:53 PM
LOL, thats true... :bouncy:

so, who is this guys??

Jamal Lewis, AKA Inmate #32456

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Jamal Lewis.
I hate the rat birds as much as any steelers fan.
But jamal lewis is gonna play football for another team next year, and he would do great for us.
Belive me after a few hundred yard games, you would forget about the mistakes he made in his life.......Including playing for the RAT BIRDS

Stillers#1
02-11-2006, 06:09 PM
I have to admit, it would be great to see Ray-Ray get run over by Jamal in Black and Gold. But like I said before, I like Willie. The only way they even think about Jamal Lewis is if they won't give Duce anther chance, which I think they will, let's worry about keeping Chris Hope, and possibly keeping El. I think we have the formula right, we just need to keep all of the variables in the equation, thats all.

Suitanim
02-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Trust me, this guy will NEVER be a Pittsburgh Steeler. Jamal Lewis is basically anti-Rooney football. It's a moot point...there is just no chance of this happening.

clevestinks
02-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Oh hell no!

The best thing about our team is the unity! Do`nt ruin it!

Atlanta Dan
02-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Once he started pouting about his contract Lewis quit on the Ravens this year; no need for that attitude + (as another poster said) the Steelers will not meet his price.

The Steelers lucked out with Jerome, who was falsely rumored to be a problem in St. Louis before the Steelers stole him on draft day in 1996, but Lewis is in another category altogether as a malcontent and has run more tread off his tires than when the Bus came to the Steelers.

In terms of FAs, this offseason will be subtractions, not additions.

tony hipchest
02-11-2006, 06:49 PM
this type of talk makes me think the steelers couldve spent the 5th pick in the draft for cadillac williams and would be looking for his replacement if he only rushed for 1200 yds. ronnie brown and c. benson didnt do that much better. then theres duce who practilcally ran for 100 yds 7 games straight and took a back seat so jerome could ride off into the sunset. the grass isnt always greener on the other side, especially when that grass will cost twice as much as what we already have (edge, alexander, lewis, etc)

theSteeler
02-11-2006, 06:55 PM
I'd take a chance on Lewis...and if Detroit cut Charles Rogers, he'd be here too...Steelers are good at re-working contracts...if they want something, Omar Khan will find a way to do it.

Suitanim
02-11-2006, 07:29 PM
I'd take a chance on Lewis...

That's what you aren't quite getting. The Steelers don't play "Win at any cost" games, and that's why they have stability, almost no scandal, relative unity, and 5 Super Bowl rings. They take the high road and win...If the Steelers picked up a guy like Jamal Lewis or Randy Moss or TO, Art Rooney would be doing flips in his grave.

Atlanta Dan
02-11-2006, 07:30 PM
Steelers are good because they still (with Jerome gone) have folks in the locker room (Hines/Farrior/Porter/Kimo-if he stays) who can be the sheriff if someone acts out and avoid bringing in problems.

About the only significant talent in recent years who thought he was starring in his own movie was Plax and he was not even asked to consider staying.

Just ask the Eagles how believing your team concept will reform known problem cases worked out for them.

Steeler in Carolina
02-11-2006, 09:44 PM
I look for Duce to move in Jerome's role next year and maybe draft a RB or pick up a decent guy in FA. I don't look to sign a big name FA this offseason. Duce should be healthy because he has had a whole year to rest.

WWIIOwheelz
02-11-2006, 10:28 PM
I'd like to think he'll be healthy, but I swear, I've seen him 95% of the time I've been familiar with him in plainclothes. I hope he stays healthy, because he could bring a very healthy Bettis-style running game a few years ago. A healthy Parker and Duce will be quite a weapon, I think, but I want to see him stay dressed.

83-Steelers-43
02-11-2006, 11:34 PM
I'd take a chance on Lewis...and if Detroit cut Charles Rogers, he'd be here too...Steelers are good at re-working contracts...if they want something, Omar Khan will find a way to do it.

Re-working a contract isn't the hard part, re-working the wiring in some of these guys heads is the hard part, which is why you won't see Lewis or any other disease in a Steeler uniform (thankfully).

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Im just saying that if we gave him a chance,,,,,,,,he could do some great things for us.

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2006, 10:42 AM
Im just saying that if we gave him a chance,,,,,,,,he could do some great things for us.

I think you can say that about a good number of the diseases in the NFL. TO is a perfect example. Philly gave him a "chance" and now another team is going to try and give him a "chance" and they all feel that they can change some of these guys. Very, very rarely do these guys change. I'm not sure I would consider Jamal Lewis a "steal", more of a gamble than anything else.

Also, what if he doesn't change? We will not only be stuck with a head case, we will also be stuck with the money we blew on a guy we decided to give a "chance" to. I don't think it's worth the gamble. This is a guy that has been in the league for a fair amount of years and he's telling his team and the media that he may not give 100% because he's coming up on free agency? No thanks.

Just my two cents.

Need4spd
02-12-2006, 11:52 AM
That's what you aren't quite getting. The Steelers don't play "Win at any cost" games, and that's why they have stability, almost no scandal, relative unity, and 5 Super Bowl rings. They take the high road and win...If the Steelers picked up a guy like Jamal Lewis or Randy Moss or TO, Art Rooney would be doing flips in his grave.

Thank you very much. Can we all please come back down to mother earth for a moment. This is not going to happen, nor should it. Jamal Lewis does not belong is a Steelers uniform. Need I remind everyone that the Steelers did just recently win a fairly big game, so I think the coaching staff and the front office deserve a little credit with regard to their personnel decisions, and the formula with which this organization has used to operate for as long as any of us can remember. To bring in a player like Jamal Lewis would be COMPLETELY out of character for this team. It's no accident that in professional sports, in recent years the teams that have exemplified a TEAM first concept have been the most successful. Just a few of the more recent examples... Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox, Detroit Pistons, San Antonio Spurs, New England Patriots, and of course our very own Pittsburgh Steelers. Case in point, I think we're on the right track.

clevestinks
02-12-2006, 12:29 PM
I say we look at Joe Jerivius from seattle

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2006, 12:51 PM
I look for Duce to move in Jerome's role next year and maybe draft a RB or pick up a decent guy in FA. I don't look to sign a big name FA this offseason. Duce should be healthy because he has had a whole year to rest.

You got it, the Steelers will not be making any huge splashes in FA this year. We need to take care of our own and sign as many of our own FA's and RFA's as possible.

LambertIsGod58
02-12-2006, 01:18 PM
Thank you very much. Can we all please come back down to mother earth for a moment. This is not going to happen, nor should it. Jamal Lewis does not belong is a Steelers uniform. Need I remind everyone that the Steelers did just recently win a fairly big game, so I think the coaching staff and the front office deserve a little credit with regard to their personnel decisions, and the formula with which this organization has used to operate for as long as any of us can remember. To bring in a player like Jamal Lewis would be COMPLETELY out of character for this team. It's no accident that in professional sports, in recent years the teams that have exemplified a TEAM first concept have been the most successful. Just a few of the more recent examples... Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox, Detroit Pistons, San Antonio Spurs, New England Patriots, and of course our very own Pittsburgh Steelers. Case in point, I think we're on the right track.

Did Greg Lloyd deserve to be in a Steelers uniform? After all, he pulled a gun on his own kid. I know it was after his playing days....but still did it.

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Did Greg Lloyd deserve to be in a Steelers uniform? After all, he pulled a gun on his own kid. I know it was after his playing days....but still did it.

Right, main word there is "after" his playing days. It's hard to read the future If you are the Rooney's to see what Lloyd would have done "after" he left the team. The guy did not get arrested before or while he was on the roster, he was not a cancer in the locker room and he was a beast when he played.

If Greg Lloyd put a gun in his kid's mouth before he joined the team or while he was on the team I would say "no, he does not deserve to be in a Steeler uniform or around society in general".

Need4spd
02-12-2006, 07:34 PM

No offense, but that's the most absurd and baseless analogy I've ever heard.

As stated in the previous post, had he done that prior to, or during his football career I would say without any equivocation that not only does he not belong on a football field playing for any team in any league, he belongs behind bars. Anyone, and I mean anyone who would do such a thing needs to be removed from society and put in a cage with other barbarians of his (or her) ilk who are incapable of living their life in a civilized manner.

In no way would I equate what Jamal Lewis did to that, but the Pittsburgh Steelers as an organization and a business have always set relatively high moral standards for their employees to abide by, both on and off the clock so to speak. It is for this reason maybe more so than any other, why I am so personally proud to be a fan of the Steelers. That being said, it is my opinion due not only to his criminal record, but some of the things that took place surrounding him this past season, that Jamal Lewis would not be a good fit for this team.

70c10
02-13-2006, 09:08 AM
Lewis setup that drug deal Before he was drafted. I think he would benefit Ben by opening up the passing game. 250 pounder who runs 4.4. He just came off major ankle surgery last year that takes a year to heal. It's been a year.

rowedf
02-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Guys, you need to check your references before forming such a rigid view on the guy, when the facts stated so far are not 100% true. He did this at college, not in the pro's, and what he did was use his cell phone to call a guy he knows that sold drugs. He did not buy drugs, use them, or try to sell them......I'm not underminning what he did, it was wrong, but come on, to punish the guy for the rest of his life over that??? Geshhh....

Secondly, JL has been a stand up person in the Baltimore community, he has not caused waves or stirred crap up in the lockerroom or in the city, unlike some of the others mentioned......he's involved in a ton of charity foundations and gives a lot back to the community. Yep, he made a mistake BEFORE he was even in the NFL, paid for it, and really should not be critized so much about it (IMO).

I've stating since week 3-4 that the Steelers WILL look at him. Baltimore already stated they do not have a strong interest in re-signing him and would like to give chester the chance to be the feature back. I think the Rooney's have always been fair people and given, people that desrver it, a chance. So I stand behind my posts months ago that they will bring him in for a visit. The only thing that might stop that is 100% confidence that Willy is the #1 back, if they feel no need to fill that spot with a veteran back, then it would be pointless to sign a guy like JL.

83-Steelers-43
02-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Wrong.

83-Steelers-43
02-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Rowedf.............................

Is Jamal Lewis himself pleading guilty a good enough reference? Read this story.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1897106

Strange, you stated all "he did was use his cell phone to call a guy he knows that sold drugs.". Your making it sound like Jamal called this guy in order to talk to him about how his gardening and interior decorating is coming along.

Then you go on to say that your not "underminning what he did" and that "it was wrong" but yet from your "facts" he did nothing wrong. He was just calling this guy who happened to sell drugs. Why is that? He did nothing wrong.

Personally, I don't care what the guy does for the community. He's not helping it by setting up drug deals. I do certain things for my community, does that give me the right to set up drug deals? The guy is a bum in my opinion.

rowedf
02-13-2006, 03:39 PM
I never said he was innocent. I realize what he did, to say he's still a terrible person for that is not right...IMO! A childhood friend contacted him asking if he knew anyone that can get him some drugs. He said, yes, let me make a call. He contacted the man, gave the phone to his buddy. He also dropped his friend off at a restaurant where he was supposed to met the person. He did not buy/sell any drugs and was not charged with that.

My point is, when do you forgive ? I'm sure we all have some skeltons in the closet we hope people forgave us for, right? The guys a good football player, made a stupid mistake before he was in the league, I think we should move on, that's all.

SteelerFanInCA
02-13-2006, 03:45 PM
I agree with rowedf. We at least need to bring this guy in for a visit. I'm not saying sign him right away but just bring him to see what his current thought process is like. Change of scenery some times help players take off in their careers again.

83-Steelers-43
02-13-2006, 03:46 PM
The guy broke the law. He was helping to set up a drug deal. I understand he did not sell or use drugs. I never stated that he did use or sell them. Eitherway, he broke the law. He did not simply call some thug in order to simply shoot the shit. He was helping to set up a drug deal. In my opinion, that makes him scum.

As for forgiving him. I don't need to forgive him. The guy is scum in my opinion. I feel no sympathy for him.

As for having skeleton's in our closet. Sure. Underage drinking, experiementing with drugs. Sure. Helping to set up a drug deal? Sorry, have not reached that goal in life just yet.

rowedf
02-13-2006, 03:51 PM
The guy broke the law. He was helping to set up a drug deal. I understand he did not sell or use drugs. I never stated that he did use or sell them. Eitherway, he broke the law. He did not simply call some thug in order to simply shoot the shit. He was helping to set up a drug deal. In my opinion, that makes him scum.

As for forgiving him. I don't need to forgive him. The guy is scum in my opinion. I feel no sympathy for him.

As for having skeleton's in our closet. Sure. Underage drinking, experiementing with drugs. Sure. Helping to set up a drug deal? Sorry, have not reached that goal in life just yet.

Sorry, we'll just have to agree to disagree.....but one thing I found humerous. Experimenting with drugs??? Someone had to set up a drug deal for that, right? :) Does that make them and you scum too? Either way, I do hope they take a peak at him, the guy has serious talent.

Suitanim
02-13-2006, 06:55 PM
I know this much...they don't send people to prison for making phone calls to drug dealers, or even setting up drug deals...what happened was he PLEA BARGAINED his way down to an offense that enabled him to keep playing football. It's quite likely that we'll never exactly what happened, since I'm sure he had the best lawyers money could buy...

Regardless, I just can't envision any scenario in which the Steelers sign any convicted felons to their roster, regardless of what a bargain he might be...

Need4spd
02-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Regardless, I just can't envision any scenario in which the Steelers sign any convicted felons to their roster, regardless of what a bargain he might be...

Thank you, well said. I was previously under the impression that Steeler fans were already enlightened to the fact that this is one of the things that separates the Steelers organization from the rest of those operating in the NFL, or even professional sports in general for that matter. What is this thing that I speak of you ask? As I stated earlier in this thread, it's a way of doing business. It's taking the high road, the road that in this day and age is far far less traveled. It's not winning at any cost, it's winning the right way. I'm not saying that every player in a Steelers uniform is a saint, nor am I suggesting that Jamal Lewis should be banished from the NFL or anything like that, but for the Steelers to actively pursue a player with a known history such as his would be completely out of character.

Now just for a minute, let's disregard his criminal history. What about the fact that during the middle of last season he was reportedly doggin it on the playing field because he was in a contract year and didn't want to risk serious injury. Perhaps he didn't get the memo about football being a contact sport where injury, serious or otherwise is a rather eminent possibility. Give me a freakin break already. Hey Jamal, see you in Arizona pal.

Petesburgh66
02-14-2006, 12:31 AM
You got it, the Steelers will not be making any huge splashes in FA this year. We need to take care of our own and sign as many of our own FA's and RFA's as possible.

I agree. You have to keep most of the pieces together. They have good team chemistry from what I have watching and reading.

rowedf
02-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Thank you, well said. I was previously under the impression that Steeler fans were already enlightened to the fact that this is one of the things that separates the Steelers organization from the rest of those operating in the NFL, or even professional sports in general for that matter. What is this thing that I speak of you ask? As I stated earlier in this thread, it's a way of doing business. It's taking the high road, the road that in this day and age is far far less traveled. It's not winning at any cost, it's winning the right way. I'm not saying that every player in a Steelers uniform is a saint, nor am I suggesting that Jamal Lewis should be banished from the NFL or anything like that, but for the Steelers to actively pursue a player with a known history such as his would be completely out of character.

Now just for a minute, let's disregard his criminal history. What about the fact that during the middle of last season he was reportedly doggin it on the playing field because he was in a contract year and didn't want to risk serious injury. Perhaps he didn't get the memo about football being a contact sport where injury, serious or otherwise is a rather eminent possibility. Give me a freakin break already. Hey Jamal, see you in Arizona pal.

I agree, completely about the Steelers being that type of organziation and it DOES seperate them from the rest, but as my other posts have said, I don't think they hold people to absolute perfection and would consider someone like JL.

About JL dogging it.......dunno.....I also don't believe everything the media reports on, it just doesn't make sense, if it's his last year under contract the last thing he is going to do is dog it, players that dog it are usually doing that after they get a huge deal and don't care, but dogging it in the last year of his contract just doesn't make sense.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-14-2006, 01:17 PM
I like Willie,I just don't know if he can be the feature back.I think he burned out during the season like Ben did last year.Remember,Willie didn't play at North Carolina,so he wasn't used to getting the ball a lot.I love his speed and his ability to break a long one for a score.

But can he get those 4-5 tough yards?I don't really know.He has the ablity to be a Ladanian Tomlinson type player.I hope he can run with some power.If he shows this year he can handle the feature back role,and run with power when needed,then we got the biggest steal of free agency last year.

As of right now,we have a #1 back in Willie Parker.

I don't think Jamal Lewis would come here if he wasn't promised the feature back job...not promised a chance to win it...but promised it.I don't think the Steelers are gonna sell out Fast Willie like that,nor should they.

And yes,the first year JL would be a steal,because he's gonna come cheaper than probally any back in the draft who has proven he can get it done.But what about when he gets a big season?Another 2,000 yard season?An 1,800 yard season?He'll complain about his contract and won't go as hard like he did this year knowing he didn't have a contract for this upcoming season.

Suitanim
02-14-2006, 03:03 PM
:banging: :banging: I give up...:banging: :banging:

Need4spd
02-16-2006, 04:00 AM
About JL dogging it.......dunno.....I also don't believe everything the media reports on, it just doesn't make sense, if it's his last year under contract the last thing he is going to do is dog it, players that dog it are usually doing that after they get a huge deal and don't care, but dogging it in the last year of his contract just doesn't make sense.

In theory you're right, to you or I it may not seem logical. Of course it would be great to have a season like Shaun Alexander did this year going into free agency, but by the same token for a player that already has some merit to his credit, a serious injury would be the worst thing that could possibly happen when you're looking for a new contract. It's really a double edged sword and he wasn't, or should I say, he wouldn't have been the first player to take this route.

pucho58
02-16-2006, 10:02 PM
They will not take a chance on JL because of what Bam Bam and Foster did to the organization. They will not make the same mistake.

Stlrs4Life
02-16-2006, 10:24 PM
36 rushing TD in 5 years

Any guesses?

Whats his NAME????

NO! We better not sign Jamal Lewis! And I knew who you were talking about right away.

Be glad that I am a nice guy, or else I would have given you some negative karma for even thinking about it.