PDA

View Full Version : Brandt: Colon’s fill-in already on Steelers’ roster

pete74
07-01-2010, 05:13 PM
As soon as news broke that Steelers OT Willie Colon will miss the 2010 season because of a ruptured Achilles’ tendon, speculation on a possible replacement centered on perhaps the most accomplished tackle still on the street: Flozell Adams.

But while Adams reportedly visited Pittsburgh on Tuesday, NFL.com senior analyst Gil Brandt suggested the team already might have a replacement in the fold.

“I don’t think the Steelers will take a chance on Flozell,” Brandt said Tuesday in a live chat on NFL.com. “Knowing how they’ve operated in the past, they’ll try to fill from within. One thing to look for: Although first-round pick Maurkice Pouncey was drafted as a center/guard, he does have the ability to move outside and play tackle. I imagine he will get that chance.”

Pouncey, the 18th overall pick in the draft out of Florida, is considered to be very athletic and active for an interior lineman. His versatility was expected to help him make an early contribution to the Steelers’ offensive line in 2010. Colon’s injury could make that early contribution more important than previously believed.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/06/29/brandt-colons-fill-in-already-on-steelers-roster/

pete74
07-01-2010, 05:15 PM
i dont see this happening. of course i would love for Pouncey to be able to excel at any position on the line i cant see him playing tackle

austinfrench76
07-01-2010, 11:25 PM
I hope this DOESN'T happen. We have enough mineman playing out of position. I know position flexib ility os a good attribute but not when it's the nirm across your whole line!

MDSteel15
07-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Bring in Adams and put Pouncey at guard for now!

pete74
07-02-2010, 06:57 PM
^^^agreed

55BaileyFan
07-08-2010, 07:08 PM
Essex to the outside and Pouncey will take his place at right guard. Legursky and Urbik can push him...but you don't draft a guy in the first round to sit him when there is an opening.

steelerdave1969
07-09-2010, 07:21 PM
Bring in Adams and put Pouncey at guard for now!

Adams is wanting Wayyyyyyy Toooooo Mucchhhhh Money for the Steelers to pull the trigger on that one

pete74
07-10-2010, 05:18 AM
im afraid to see Essix on the outside. i cant see him being a good tackel

Spidey
07-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Foster was a Tackle with the Vols, he showed enough second half of last season at LG to justify a legit shot at replacing Colon.

I'd be happy with this.

Starks. Kemo. Legursky Pouncey. Foster

I don't rate Hartwig and hope Legursky takes over until Pouncey makes the shift!

mikegrimey
07-11-2010, 06:18 PM
I really don't know is Foster showed enough to justify starting full time. He did show solid in that sunday night game against the Ravens so he might make the cut, but I have a sinking feeling that Starks and Essex will be engineering the QB express for us next season.

I totally agree with you about Hartwig though---even though he's way better than Sean Mahan, just an average center.

Spidey
07-12-2010, 07:40 AM
I really don't know is Foster showed enough to justify starting full time. He did show solid in that sunday night game against the Ravens so he might make the cut, but I have a sinking feeling that Starks and Essex will be engineering the QB express for us next season.

I totally agree with you about Hartwig though---even though he's way better than Sean Mahan, just an average center.

I know what your saying, I've just got a feeling he's on the way up, he's a tough cookie, he played one game at Tennessee with a broken finger, after he'd bust it in warm-ups.

I liked what I saw last year in limited time and just feel he's ready to take it up to the next level, i've heard somewhere that the coaches are big in him.