PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh columnist thinks Steelers are a six-win team

pete74
07-05-2010, 06:41 PM
A Steelers offseason that will be remembered for all the wrong reasons has officially spooked Pittsburgh.

A column by Gene Collier in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that we mentioned in one-liners Sunday details the damage, from Big Ben's suspension to Santonio Holmes' departure to season-ending injuries to Willie Colon and Limas Sweed. And like so much offseason news, there has been an overreaction to this avalanche of negative headlines.

"They were a 9-win team a year ago, with the quarterback generally upright and relatively upstanding," Collier writes. "They were probably an 8-win team with the departure of Santonio Tweeter-dumb Holmes, probably a 7-win team in light of the formerly-upstanding quarterback's four- to six-week suspension. They look like maybe a 6-win team with Colon's Achilles unstrung."

And that's where the madness needs to stop. First of all, the Steelers were no ordinary nine-win team. They didn't lose a game by two scores all season. Luck and special teams knocked them down a few pegs.

Second, it's a fallacy to believe each team starts over where the last group left off. The Steelers are one of the very few organizations that start each season with an edge. They have the talent and system to expect to compete. They've dipped under .500 once since 1999 and still have a great quarterback that should be available for 12 games.

Look, I've been leading the Baltimore bandwagon. The Ravens should be considered division favorites. But they are slight favorites.

Vegas lists Pittsburgh as the sixth-most likely AFC team to make the Super Bowl with an over/under win total of nine, which sounds about right.

I'd still bet the over. (You know, for entertainment purposes.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/05/pittsburgh-columnist-thinks-steelers-are-a-six-win-team/

WeegiesWarriors
07-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Collier fails to mention what a healthy Polamalu does to the win total. What a healthy Aaron Smith does to the win total. What a seasoned Mendenhall with one full year of starting under his belt might mean. He just picks the negatives so he can sell papers.

Bubbabanjo
07-05-2010, 09:18 PM
6 is too high...at this rate its a 4 win season.....and he is right....we are destroying our team in Pre-season. Jeebus....save a little for the field.

scsteeler
07-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Right now I say we are a 9 win Team even with all the issues we have. I think the Steelers some how find a way to be a competitive team and win at least 9 maybe 10 if we win 4 of the first 6 before Ben comes back.

The defense will be the key to the season not the offense.

LVSteelersfan
07-06-2010, 12:32 PM
This team is two years removed from a Super Bowl title with most of the players still in place. Ben's suspension does hurt but hopefully it knocks some sense into his head and he spends the offseason watching game film and learning how to read defenses. It is the normal progression of QBs who have been in the league as long as he has. Losing Santonio hurts but his head wasn't always in the game any way. I say it is a HUGE year for Heath Miller as long as Arians gets his head out. Use the tools you have. The defense will be back to its normal self barring injuries. I say 10 or 11 wins this year. But I am the eternal optimist. Predicting 6 wins is a joke. I hope that fires the players up.

Riddle_Of_Steel
07-06-2010, 06:00 PM
How do some of these columnists keep their jobs? If our defense returns to anywhere near the form they were in 2008, that is good for 8 wins right there.....

Big
07-06-2010, 06:52 PM
We are a Super Bowl winning team and I'll be happy to show this thread to you all when the season is over!

mikegrimey
07-07-2010, 12:47 AM
Off-season boredom has settled in finally.

It's never too early to try and look like a magic genie. Like a lot of more reasonable columinists are pointing out, if our defense returns to form, we have a shot to make some real noise and get a spot in the playoffs.

supa_fly_steeler
07-07-2010, 04:26 AM
Gene Collier is retarded

shawnb
07-07-2010, 05:04 AM
none, the Steelers defense is back...

FredScott
07-07-2010, 05:31 PM
Haha this is funny. We are a 12 win team, mark it down.

55BaileyFan
07-08-2010, 06:01 PM
To the hell with that. Leftwich will do just fine during the suspension. You can't compare his seasons in Jacksonville, Atlanta or Tampa with his situation now. He did not have a team half as good as ours in any of those seasons.

We have Ward, only once in Holmes career thus far did he beat Hines in any stat and that was receiving yards this year...Ward is still our go to guy.

And Willie Colon...there is a reason he is called Willie "False Start" Colon. He is a highly penalized lineman and since he has taken over right tackle three years ago, we have led the league in sacks for that time. Even with the lose of Faneca he is not that great. We will be just fine.

We will win at least 10 games, I have no doubt.

mikegrimey
07-08-2010, 11:49 PM
I don't know if we lead the league in sacks for 3 straight years. I also find it a little incredulous that you'd try to lump it all on Colon, who has proven to be pretty good, and not some of the embarassing play of our interior lineman or even the grossly overpaid Max Starks, who was taken to school alot the last couple of years.

silver & black
07-09-2010, 07:22 AM
How do some of these columnists keep their jobs? If our defense returns to anywhere near the form they were in 2008, that is good for 8 wins right there.....

They keep their jobs by writing stuff like that. They generate "emotion" from fans like you... that's their job. You may not agree with their "opinion", but you read it none the less... hence, they've done their job.

You think the media is hard on the Steelers?... try being a Raiders fan! :wink02:

steelerdave1969
07-09-2010, 06:07 PM
I can honestly see the Steelers with around 8 to 10 wins this year. If Ben comes back strong and if its only for 4 games. I think our Running game will take a blow with the loss of Colon for sure. But it will or could be a blessing in disquise for someone else. Dont forget the guy from the Bills that the Steelers signed in the spring to replace Colon.

DoubleYoi
07-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Before you start getting your panties in a knot, take a second to read the real article instead of reading what the morons at profootballtalk.com have to say. They took one tiny blurb of the article and ran with it:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10185/1070320-150.stm#ixzz0sogkT1nh

Now that you've read the real article, consider this: Collier's style of writing relies heavily on cleverness, satire and wit and it flies over many people's heads. Notice how the point of Collier's actual article (not the pro football take) is to question the necessity of agility workouts in the month of June; not to predict the Steelers finishing the year with 6 wins. If Gene were asked to give an honest prediction of the teams win total, I doubt 6 would be the number he comes up with. Then again, I'm not Gene Collier and I could be wrong but you should at least be able to read the real article for yourself and not let the idiots at pro football talk form an opinion for you.

My prediction: Steelers win AFC North by finishing 11-5. :tt04:

StainlessStill
07-13-2010, 10:23 PM
THIS is the Pittsburgh Steelers team I just LOVE watching. Entering the season by getting laughed at and givin no chance to perform at a high quality, let alone make a playoff run. I can't wait to see how the 2010 squad, as bad as the offseason is, responds to all of this. Say what you want, but this organization is TOO strong and holds a foundation to where when you play us, you are going to get hurt. It's as simple as that.

For some reason, I think we're going to have a good season.