PDA

View Full Version : Ben and the Pro Bowl

desertsteel
02-11-2006, 09:29 PM
What's the story with Ben turning down the Pro Bowl? Heard it on NFL Radio but no where else.

WWIIOwheelz
02-11-2006, 09:55 PM
2nd-year starting QB who led the best playoff run in NFL history, culminating with a Championship. That beats the hell out of Hawaii in the offseason.... no offense to my Hawaiian friends.

desertsteel
02-11-2006, 10:06 PM
I'm not debating which is best.... that's obvious. Sirius breifly mentioned that Ben turned down the Pro Bowl and I haven't seen anywhere else where he was invited. If he was, I'm curious to the reason why. He deserves to be there. Jake Plummer, Trent Green, Steve McNair...............PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

WWIIOwheelz
02-11-2006, 10:13 PM
I didn't think he was selected, so the turning down the invitation bit was a bit of a surprise, hadn't heard that.

Yeah, all year-long at Fantasy Football, he'd be available across the league, and it boggled my mind. He didn't put up big numbers, but he made incredibly few mistakes. What sells isn't what wins, I suppose.

Milkman
02-11-2006, 10:15 PM
I'll take him helping the Steelers win the BIG game over going to Hawaii any day.

Mamaduck43
02-11-2006, 10:41 PM
As much as I would love to see him here this year, I am a patient person and will look forward to next year, and the next and the next.........

I love to see a bunch of Steelers in the Pro Bowl, but it is just another occasion for them to get injured....... I know that they have a blast while they are here....

I don't know where he placed in the voting, but I would assume that if he would have been asked, he would be listed on the roster with an asterisk or whatever next to his name like the other no-shows......

desertsteel
02-11-2006, 10:54 PM
I would assume that if he would have been asked, he would be listed on the roster with an asterisk or whatever next to his name like the other no-shows......
I think the no-shows listed would be the original roster players who declined - not 2nd and 3rd alternates.

OX1947
02-11-2006, 10:55 PM
The question is, will it still be considered a Pro Bowl for him. I would have liked him to have said yes and then maybe played 1 or 2 series. I think his thumb may have been the deciding factor....

Mamaduck43
02-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Here is the listing for the AFC roster QBs from the NFL site...

Quarterbacks (3) Peyton Manning, IND

Carson Palmer, CIN (injured)
Trent Green, KC##
Tom Brady, NE (injured)
Jake Plummer (injured)
Steve McNair##

The ## signifies that they are replacements for the injured selectees....

desertsteel
02-12-2006, 08:22 AM
Here is the listing for the AFC roster QBs from the NFL site...

Quarterbacks (3) Peyton Manning, IND

Carson Palmer, CIN (injured)
Trent Green, KC##
Tom Brady, NE (injured)
Jake Plummer (injured)
Steve McNair##

The ## signifies that they are replacements for the injured selectees....
This is what I thought. The originals are listed as injured and the replacements have asterisks. Replacements who are injured are not listed.

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2006, 09:40 AM
I wonder if Ben has a Pro Bowl incentive clause in his contract and if he needs to actually show up in Hawaii to get the $$$?

CantStop85
02-12-2006, 02:25 PM
I'm not debating which is best.... that's obvious. Sirius breifly mentioned that Ben turned down the Pro Bowl and I haven't seen anywhere else where he was invited. If he was, I'm curious to the reason why. He deserves to be there. Jake Plummer, Trent Green, Steve McNair...............PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!
You know who really deserves to be there?....Never mind...you know where I'm going.

Consider it compensation for Palmer not going. :bouncy:

clevestinks
02-12-2006, 02:30 PM
I`m just happy with the Lombardi Trophy

rgleason
02-12-2006, 03:16 PM
What I assume the person meant when they heard he turned down the invitation was that he was invited to take part in the festivities, not play in the game, considering he has become over night pretty much been catapulted into one of the biggest spokesman or faces of the league. But I think if Ben would have played the full year, he would have easily ended up with 22+ tds (and dont forget rushing tds). He should make it next year.

CantStop85
02-12-2006, 04:37 PM
He should make it next year.
That depends on the statuses of Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, and Drew Brees.

clevestinks
02-12-2006, 04:41 PM
With a full season, well a full healthy season, he will be just fine. QB in the AFC is tough, there are alot of young great QB`s. If he keeps up the high winning percentage, screw the Pro Bowl

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2006, 04:48 PM
That depends on the statuses of Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, and Drew Brees.

If at the end of their careers one of them has been voted to more Pro Bowls and the other one has won more Super Bowls, which option do you think Carson Palmer and Ben will want to take?

As I have stated in another thread, the Pro Bowl is a TV show where players needlessly risk injury and should be abolished.

CantStop85
02-12-2006, 04:52 PM
If at the end of their careers one of them has been voted to more Pro Bowls and the other one has won more Super Bowls, which option do you think Carson Palmer and Ben will want to take?

As I have stated in another thread, the Pro Bowl is a TV show where players needlessly risk injury and should be abolished.
OK?

I thought we were discussing Ben making it to the pro bowl next season, not retirement. :rolleyes:

rgleason
02-12-2006, 05:06 PM
You got a valid Point - the AFC is loaded with great QBs. Peyton is a lock every year, Brady too, Palmer is a stud, Brees is proving to be a reliable QB who can put up the numbers. Ben might unfotunaley get squeezed out by these guys because of numbers, but remember, Ben is continually improving, he will only be in his third year next year.

desertsteel
02-12-2006, 05:43 PM
What I assume the person meant when they heard he turned down the invitation was that he was invited to take part in the festivities, not play in the game, considering he has become over night pretty much been catapulted into one of the biggest spokesman or faces of the league. But I think if Ben would have played the full year, he would have easily ended up with 22+ tds (and dont forget rushing tds). He should make it next year.
What I heard was on NFL Radio. Peyton Manning said in an interview that he would never turn down the Pro Bowl like some, as long as he was invited. After the sound byte, Adam Schein of The Afternoon Blitz made the comment that Ben turned down the Pro Bowl. The context was playing. He may have been wrong but that's what he said.

CantStop85
02-12-2006, 07:08 PM
You got a valid Point - the AFC is loaded with great QBs. Peyton is a lock every year, Brady too, Palmer is a stud, Brees is proving to be a reliable QB who can put up the numbers. Ben might unfotunaley get squeezed out by these guys because of numbers, but remember, Ben is continually improving, he will only be in his third year next year.
Oh yeah, I forgot about Brady...that makes it even tougher. Sorry Pats fans, will you forgive me?

tony hipchest
02-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about Brady...that makes it even tougher. Sorry Pats fans, will you forgive me? forgive you? yeah right! youre lucky youre not being drawn and quartered right about now.