PDA

View Full Version : Position Battles

SteelCurtain0815
07-12-2010, 02:11 PM
Does anyone think that Hood can challenge Kiesel for a starting job? I know Hood is primarily a LDE, but I would be stoked if he could take Kiesel's spot. We need some youth on our d-line anyways. Another person that I would like to see surprise people is Keenon Lewis. I'd like to see him take McFadden's spot, but I don't think that will happen. Hopefully, he can outperform Gay in camp and win the third corner job.

steeltheone
07-12-2010, 06:29 PM
You can't mention that here. To think that a number one draft pick in his second year could perform better than, or equal to (2) guys paid 3 and 6 x more is crazy talk on this board. The money wrapped up in Farrior, Smith and kiesel is way to much for players on the decline.

mikegrimey
07-12-2010, 10:33 PM
You think Smith and Keisel are on the decline?

I'll grant you Farrior was a nightmare in passing situations last year---but Smith and Kiesel have done nothing but play selflessly at a high level, Smith at an EXTREMELY HIGH level. I don't know the particulars of Kiesel's contract so I can't comment if he is overpaid, but I see no evidence that he's on the decline, and Smith has been nothing if not phenomenal at the position.

pete74
07-13-2010, 04:27 AM
agreed, as long as smith and kiesel continue playing at a high level like they are then there definatly worth the money. personally i feel smith has been the most underpaid player on our team for a long time

as for Hood, as much as a love Kiesel i would love to see him play great and take Kiesel's starting job. we definatly need youth inserted into our defense and more then anything we need Hood to pan out well.

SteelCurtain0815
07-15-2010, 11:57 AM
[QUOTE=mikegrimey;830707]You think Smith and Keisel are on the decline?

I never said they were on the decline. However, they aren't getting any younger and A. Smith is coming off a season ending injury. At his age, it gets harder to come back from those types of injuries. Hopefully, he will come back 100%, but I hope Hood gets more snaps this year. I am actually more intrigued by K.Lewis battling for a starting position.

scsteeler
07-15-2010, 01:26 PM
I think Hood will be used like he was later in the season rotated in to gain experience and unless he just totally outperforms the other guys this will be his role all year long.

I would also love to see Lewis win a starting position.

SteelCurtain0815
07-15-2010, 02:20 PM
You're probably right. Hood will see the same amount of playing time. I'm ready to see what he can do though. They need to take him off his leash this year.

scsteeler
07-15-2010, 07:09 PM
You're probably right. Hood will see the same amount of playing time. I'm ready to see what he can do though. They need to take him off his leash this year.

I am too I would love to see Hood unleashed to see what he can bring to the table.

steeltheone
07-17-2010, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=mikegrimey;830707]You think Smith and Keisel are on the decline?

I never said they were on the decline. However, they aren't getting any younger and A. Smith is coming off a season ending injury. At his age, it gets harder to come back from those types of injuries. Hopefully, he will come back 100%, but I hope Hood gets more snaps this year. I am actually more intrigued by K.Lewis battling for a starting position.

At 34, in the NFL you are not getting better...So yes they are in the decline of their respective careers..

mikegrimey
07-17-2010, 05:44 PM
I see no evidence to support your claims. I wasn't asking for you to read me the ages of said players allegedly on the decline.

Farrior, I grant you, with the pass coverage. He is on the decline at MLB.

Keisel and especially Smith, not at all. Age doesn't matter if you can still play at a high level.

Notice I also never alleged that they would get better, but your assumption that 2 of our 3 excellent starting dlinemen are on the decline is wrong. With Smith you could argue that he is injury prone, but you didn't even do that, simply made up a 30-something number and pushed it as proof.
I'm not oppossed to Hood getting more playing time, which he will. I'm just interested as to what you have seen ON THE FIELD that would indicate Kiesel and Smith are on the decline, when their play disputes that claim.

SteelCurtain0815
07-17-2010, 09:21 PM
I see no evidence to support your claims. I wasn't asking for you to read me the ages of said players allegedly on the decline.

Farrior, I grant you, with the pass coverage. He is on the decline at MLB.

Keisel and especially Smith, not at all. Age doesn't matter if you can still play at a high level.

Notice I also never alleged that they would get better, but your assumption that 2 of our 3 excellent starting dlinemen are on the decline is wrong. With Smith you could argue that he is injury prone, but you didn't even do that, simply made up a 30-something number and pushed it as proof.
I'm not oppossed to Hood getting more playing time, which he will. I'm just interested as to what you have seen ON THE FIELD that would indicate Kiesel and Smith are on the decline, when their play disputes that claim.

No arguing with that post. Granted, like the other poster stated, they aren't going to get any better, but they aren't getting any worse as of yet either. Obviously we don't have anyone that is better than Kiesel or Smith, otherwise they would have seen a lot more action. Hood's gotta get more snaps this year I would think.

steeltheone
07-17-2010, 10:03 PM
Its easy to prove...The Steelers were the number 1 rated Defense against the run in the 2009 Season. Smith played 5 games in 2009. So Nick Eason and Ziggy Hood replaced him without any kind of drop off at 1/6 the pay. Hey Smith has been a great player for the Steelers, I like him alot. I just know paying 34 year olds big money is a bad investment in todays NFL.

mikegrimey
07-18-2010, 01:15 AM
Granted, we were highly ranked against the run, once again; however, I would argue some of those numbers can be a little misleading.
It was natural for a lot of teams to not run very much against us, not only because we were good at stopping the run, but because our secondary became such a bleeding ulcer that teams couldn't resist exploiting it. From Aaron Rogers to Chadd Henne to Tyler Thigpen to Bruce Gradkowski and beyond, even so-so passers were successfully exploiting our pass defense.

The one game a team actually came in with the mind to run on us was the week 16 game vs. The Ravens, and Ray Rice ate us up.

We never got wrenched that heinously by a running back in 2008 with Smith in (although Leron McClain did put up some good numbers against us that year). Remember in 07 too, when Smith's contributed in part to us getting tore up by Thomas Jones and Fred Taylor respectively (even Stephen Jackson almost put up 100 on us with like 10 carries or something like that).

So I can kind of see your thinking, but see the fallacy behind saying we were just as good with Smith out. As for how much we pay Smith, what does his contract look like? And is it preventing any of our younger stars from getting a contract etc? If not I see no reason to pull the plug on the great D-lineman until he actually begins to decline.

StainlessStill
07-18-2010, 08:12 AM
Ziggy Hood and Brett Keisel are way two different styles of defensive ends on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Keisel is a big, big body that is used to rover around at times and really get after the quarterback with how big, but versatile and athletic he is. That's what is so special about the Steelers defense.

Even though Keisel is a defensive end, he could still be used in certain area's on the field or even drop back into coverage. That's a hard man to put your finger on and block. Ziggy Hood is more of a traditional 3-4 end whose job is to plug up as much gap space as possible and vouch to stop the run, more like Aaron Smith.

vrabinec
07-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Hood was the best pass rusher the Steelers had at DE at the end of the year. They'd be nuts to keep him on the sideline in third and fourth and long. If he plays the run better this year (he was still getting pushed off the line last year), then he needs to start. I don't really care which of the guys he replaces, but if he's playing the run as well as Keisel and he pass rushes better, he gets the nod. Of course, he may not fix the run technique, and in that case, he'll strictly be a third down guy. The least we'll see of him is that he'll be in there on third and long, probably with keisel as one of the two down linemen, with 5 LB's behind them.