PDA

View Full Version : What is the deal with ARE?

SteelersWyo
02-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Pardon my ignorance of the subject, but why does it look that ARE is a gonner? Has anything been said officially or just that he is a free agent and one of the hotest names in WRs right now? I keep up with football and the Steelers, but seems like too many people have given up on him and negotiations have not even started.

BlacknGold Bleeder
02-12-2006, 11:53 AM
Everybody is writing him off as being gone,that's all.THat's their opinionand you know what they say about opinions. HTese same people were saying Wisenhnut was gone!! Maybe ARE will follow his lead and accept a little less money and show some loyalty to the team! Personally I don't think he will be as happy or revered as he is here in da 'burgh but then again that's just another opinion....

WWIIOwheelz
02-12-2006, 11:59 AM
Whisenhunt would've been gone if the deal had been right, and like the Raider fan of 35+ years said in here, it wasnt going to be. He was obviously right, and on more than one count. Not only did Whisenhunt say forget it, so did the lesser-qualified guy. He was also correct in saying Art Shell would wind up taking it because Davis could control him. The guy knew his stuff!

You have no idea how I hope I'm wrong about ARE, but from his perspective, he can make more money elsewhere, and a lot of it. He works well in the system here, and I hope he stays, but it doesn't look promising.

Steeler in Carolina
02-12-2006, 12:06 PM
My feeling is that some other team with give ARE way too much money. The Steelers will not overpay and the money will be too much to pass up.

BlackNGold203
02-12-2006, 12:11 PM
Steelers priorities will be Hope...and reworking some other deals

I love ARE..but he can be replaced easier than Hope

clevestinks
02-12-2006, 12:24 PM
I truly believe he is a great No.3 and maybe a damn good no. 2 reciever, problem is he may want no.1 money

TasmanianTroy271
02-12-2006, 01:09 PM
Reasons why People think ARE won't be back

1.) He's one of the hottest FA wide recievers in the league right now
2.) His hometown team, The Bears, is looking at him very closely
3.) The Steelers are notoriously cheap
4.) The Steelers have already invested big deals in Wilson and Ward
5.) He probably wants starter money, when at best he's a 2nd

I actually think that ARE is more of a priority then Hope, because from what I've heard, this is a pretty deep Safety draft. Plus, I think Hope's soft, just because of the number of times he's been dragged, and how he can't seem to squeeze interceptions.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2006, 02:36 PM
My feeling is that some other team with give ARE way too much money. The Steelers will not overpay and the money will be too much to pass up.

Thats what Im afraid is gonna happen too. Many times after a players gets their SB ring they wanna jump ship for alot more money instead of staying w/ their current super bowl winning and most likely contender for next year too.

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2006, 03:03 PM
With regard to the Steelers allegedly being "notoriously cheap," that rep might not have been unjustified back in the pre-salary cap early to mid-1990s when Dallas and San Francico stayed on top by spending freely while the Steelers needed a new stadium.

While the Steelers have lost FAs, a lot of the losses are due to having more good players than other teams. When the team was bleeding FAs in the mid-1990s (again related in part to lacking the revenue from new stadium), some of the losses were because: they would not meet the high price a good player received from another team that had cap $$ (Leon Searcy to Jax); some were due to already having $$ tied in other players at the position (Chad Brown left because his wife hated living in Pittsburgh and $$ had already been committed to Greg Lloyd, who then blew out his knee); in some cases the Steelers did not meet the price of someone whose best days were behind them (John Jackson/Carnell Lake); and in at least one case another team was insane (Jets signing O'Donnell).

Unless you want to go into salry cap h**l and mortgage your future to make another championship run (Dallas in the mid-90s; 49ers in late 90s; Ravens after 2000), you will lose players when you are successful.

The Steelers method of spreading the $$ by position and not betting all the chips on one season has resulted in 10 playoff appearances, 6 AFC championship appearances, 2 Super Bowl appearances & (finally!) a Super Bowl win. I do not believe that record would be achieved if the Steelers were "notoriously cheap," will assume they knew what was coming up this off-season, and that they have a plan.

That having been said, if a new CBA is not ratified soon, the NFL could go the way of baseball, in which case the Steelers method will no longer work. So, enjoy what we have while you still can; in the future it may be the Redskins, Dallas, Giants, Jets, New England a few other rich franchises that can afford to compete.

TasmanianTroy271
02-12-2006, 03:19 PM
Whenever I said the Steelers are notoriously cheap, I didn't mean it as a bad thng. Maybe I should have said "Frugal" for the better connotation. But yes, all of those reason, and when you look at what we do with FA. We never get the big name Free Agents; we get people like Kimo, who the other teams think are old and washed up, or James Farrior, He didn't do much for the Jets, and look what he's done here. I like what the Steelers do, Keeping players in house and looking for the diamonds in the rough.

24seven
02-12-2006, 03:24 PM
I'm hoping he'll have the Brady or Bettis effect and realize that money isn't everything... There are still some select few that feel team and comradere is more important than a little extra dough.. It's not like he's NOT getting paid.. Greed will come at a price and I truly believe he is most relished right here in Steeler country.. Look what happened to Kordell after leaving and going to Chicago.. Granted he continued to suck but they threw him out the window faster than Mr. bobbits penis.. Please stay ARE!! If you leave I guess Bettis didn't have an effect on him whatsoever..

clevestinks
02-12-2006, 03:26 PM
I'm hoping he'll have the Brady or Bettis effect and realize that money isn't everything... There are still some select few that feel team and comradere is more important than a little extra dough.. It's not like he's NOT getting paid.. Greed will come at a price and I truly believe he is most relished right here in Steeler country.. Look what happened to Kordell after leaving and going to Chicago.. Granted he continued to suck but they threw him out the window faster than Mr. bobbits penis.. Please stay ARE!! If you leave I guess Bettis didn't have an effect on him whatsoever..
Bettis was paid at one point in his career, so it was easy for him to take a pay cut. ARE wants his first pay day

tony hipchest
02-12-2006, 03:30 PM
excellent atlanta dan. when the rooneys finally got their new stadium they shelled out signing bonusses to many players, and have been maxed out in the cap and one of the highest paid teams since. they definitely arent frugal, but it says alot about there method and looking at the success under the cowher era that one of the biggest free agent players from another team has been jeff hartings. their priorities have been in order and they always seem to take care of the big guys (linemen) on both sides of the ball. look how they extended hampton while ward was supposedly the #1 priority. keep in mind they rarely extend anyone before their contract is up. doing it for hampton and ward shows me they are dedicated to trying their best to keep this thing going for a long time.