PDA

View Full Version : NFL: Mike Wallace of the Pittsburgh Steelers looks to be 2010's top breakout player -

supa_fly_steeler
07-14-2010, 05:15 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/news/story?id=5374109&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl %2finsider%2fnews%2fstory%3fid%3d5374109

mikegrimey
07-15-2010, 12:42 AM
I really hope he can---he showed enough in his rookie year to give us reason he can have a "sort of" breakout year like Santonio did in 2007.
Of course everyone knows of him as the deep threat guy, but Wallace seemed to catch almost everything thrown at him last year, and made a lot of tight catches on the sidelines.
Hopefully he's up to the challenge because defensive coordinators are going to be much more prepared for him this year, especially cause he'll be the main big play therat on the field most plays.

scsteeler
07-15-2010, 07:34 AM
If Wallace can improve on his route running ability to go along with that speed he will be dangerous. This is what made Holmes such a great receiver.

pete74
07-15-2010, 10:37 AM
I really hope Wallace has a 1200 yard season. If he can start off were he left off we will be set. We also need one of our rookies to step up and do this year what Wallace did last

scsteeler
07-15-2010, 02:31 PM
Since we are taking Receivers what is the Status of Limus Sweed?

mikegrimey
07-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Life's little ironies have been cruel to Limas.

After things looked all put over for him coming into this season a huge opening at the position came up because of Holmes dismissal. However, hope that Sweed would successfully integrate himself into our offense was quickly erased when he suffered a season ending injury. I think this is his last year under contract too---I don't anticipate any efforts to resign a guy that was only good for 6 catches and almost as many heart breaking drops in 2 years.

As for this year, I think Wallace can get the route running down, it is the one thing that Holmes distanced himself on. As far as rookie years go, I don't think Wallace caught as many passes for us as Holmes did, but he definitely found the endzone more and he seemed to rarely drop, a problem occasionally with Holmes.
Now if he can just catch more TDs under the 50-60 yard mark and be effecient in the red zone we may be good to go.

Plus, Holmes came onto a team his rookie year with only Hines truly established at WR---Cedric Wilson and Nate Washington we're just journeymen. I think Wallace showed a lot with the limited opportunites that come with playing behind guys like Ward and Holmes---we just gotta hope he keeps getting better.

86WARD
07-18-2010, 10:13 PM

Done...out for the season.

SteelerEmpire
07-19-2010, 06:28 AM
If Wallace can improve on his route running ability to go along with that speed he will be dangerous. This is what made Holmes such a great receiver.

Except Wallace is quite a bit faster than Holmes.... And Wallace has the routes down pretty well... after the play breaks down is when Holmes was pretty good...

lionslicer
07-19-2010, 07:02 AM

He's dead

vrabinec
07-19-2010, 11:49 AM
If the Steelers don't find a RT, Wallace won't see the ball. 80% of his big plays came on deep throws where he got separation more than 20 yards down field. If the RT is ole'ing the DE, those plays die before he gets 20 yards. What we need is whoever steps in for Colon to be the break out player of the year (not to mention the RG and C, whoever they may be)

Dexter
07-19-2010, 06:46 PM
I really hope that Wallace can turn it up. That hole left by Santonio makes me nervous. Was really hoping we would take a shot at Bryant in the draft but that never panned out (not that I actually thought they would... it was a pipe dream, for sure).

pete74
07-19-2010, 06:56 PM
Bryant would of been great but I think OL was a bigger need. I think Bryant will be the next great Wr

viking350
07-19-2010, 11:49 PM
I think that Wallace can do it he was the rookie of the year and so let give him all the confidence he can get

mikegrimey
07-20-2010, 01:03 AM
Wallace looked full of confidence last year. He came on big in the last 3 games and had a game changing play(s) in all 3 of our victories, we didn't see as much from him in the 5 game losing streak). If only Ben could have not underthrown him so often (like on that last play in the Ravens game where the INT was called back because of defensive holding, Wallace had 3-4 yards on the nearest defender, would have been a great way to seal the game).

Dexter
07-20-2010, 12:41 PM
Bryant would of been great but I think OL was a bigger need. I think Bryant will be the next great Wr
My concern is the value at that point. I really like Pouncey but the value of an interior offensive lineman at that point... eh. I think we could have snagged Bryant and then went interior in the next round and not have lost all that much. You can find interior OL in the mid rounds that can start for you early on.