PDA

View Full Version : Could Hines end up in Canton?

rgleason
02-12-2006, 05:13 PM
The idea at first may strike one as not possible, since he widely considered as an outstanding WR, but not in the league of Moss, TO. He has really only had one huge season as far as Stats, but take a look:

(games -started - recs - yards - yd avg - LNG - tds)
1998 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 0 15 246 16.4 45 0
1999 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 14 61 638 10.5 42 7
2000 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 15 48 672 14.0 77 4
2001 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 16 94 1003 10.7 34 4
2002 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 16 112 1329 11.9 72 12
2003 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 16 95 1163 12.2 50 10
2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 16 80 1004 12.6 58 4
2005 Pittsburgh Steelers 15 15 69 975 14.1 85 11

Consider: - 4 time pro bowler, plays in run-heavy Pitts where his stats will expectantly not be as high, had a very good year this year and would have most likely had over 1000 with one more game (and Ben missing 4 games), a Super Bowl Ring, and a Super Bowl MVP, widely considered best blocking WR in the game

I think he would need to have a couple more solid years, 1 or 2 more pro bowls, maybe another ring, but I dont think you cant say it isnt a possibility.

desertsteel
02-12-2006, 06:00 PM
I think when his time comes he will be appreciated for the complete package he is. The SP MVP won't hurt either. 4 more years of 70+ catches and he's in.

Eztarget
02-12-2006, 06:17 PM
If he wins another SB I think he's definitely in.

SteelerDan43
02-12-2006, 06:20 PM
Its a possibility but with the heavy amount of Steelers already in the committee seems to not want to be reluctant to add any more ala LC Greenwood. But if he has another 3-4 years of 900 or > yards a year he has a shot

WWIIOwheelz
02-12-2006, 06:23 PM
The sportwriters vote on that, and Hines is universally hailed by most all of them as being the best, barring NONE, blocking WR in the league, perhaps ever. He's the leading receiver in Steelers history, surpassing Swann and Stallworth, and that alone assures him of a place, IMHO.

Throw in the fact that he's an undisputed team leader and a fantastic representative of the sport as a whole, and there you have it.... a lock. He's my favorite player in the entire NFL on the offensive side of the ball, and yes, I'm biased, but I've introduced many fans of other teams to him via my fantasy leagues.

[edit] Isn't that sportswriter-votes? Geez, I know baseball is that way, isn't football?

Need4spd
02-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Yeah, I think a lot of the little things he does such as blocking, and the intangibles like his leadership qualities need to be taken into consideration when you're talking about a player like Hines. Now will the sports writers take those things into account when his time comes, only time will tell but I think based on some of the things I just alluded to as well as his productivity on the field, I do think he's got a shot. Either way, I sure like having a guy like him playing for our team!

melroseplace
02-12-2006, 09:21 PM
IMHO I think he is a shoe-in. he's a team leader, makes big plays and makes some very crucial tackles (which isn't normally a consideration when talking about WR, but you only need to see a couple of those tackles to know he plays a big role w/them). I really hope the abundance of Steelers in the HoF doesn't affect the decision of whether or not he gets in. I think he deserves it, especially if he continues to play as he has been in the next few years

SuperMan313
02-12-2006, 09:35 PM
I think atleast a few more good seasons and it's a good bet he'll be in.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2006, 10:24 PM
He'll be a sure thing if he continues to be the beast that he has been to this point. He's respected around the league by his peers and the media.

SteelerFanInATL
02-13-2006, 09:05 AM
Super Bowl MVP just put him over the top for the HOF.

WeNowHave5
02-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Hines is a true football player. If you look at it from that perspective then its a no-brainer. Even if you dont, his numbers are better than Lynn Swan. And he also has an Superbowl MVP. That alone is good enough.

Brady12
02-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Lynn Swann also won 4 Super Bowls. Named to 3 Pro Bowls too.

Anyways, If Hines wins another SB, that would help. He would probably not get in right away. Maybe on his 2nd or 3rd.

BTW, speaking of Swann... Is he gonna win the election in May in a landslide?

SteelerDan43
02-13-2006, 11:32 AM
I dont know if comparing Hines to Swanny and using Swanny's numbers as a guage. Swann is one of the most if not the iffiest guys to get into the hall of fame. I think if Hines has another 3 or 4 years of 900 or more yards he is in. Also I think any self repecting Pittsburgher would vote for Swann. Not only whould he be integral in keepin the Pens but he would also go along way to reverse the anti-Pittsburgh attitude Rendell has had carried out in the Penn. government.

BigBenFan4ever
02-13-2006, 11:44 AM
He will end up in the Hall of Fame.

drizze99
02-13-2006, 12:17 PM
Ward will get into the HOF. Numbers wise, he is up there with all the other current big boys and he is the best all around WR in the league. He can catch, run & block. The SB MVP was the icing on the cake.

As far as Swann goes... he better win!

WeNowHave5
02-13-2006, 12:21 PM
As far as Swann goes... he better win!

gonna be ineteresting? Doesnt PENN usually vote dem?

4xSBChamps
02-13-2006, 12:33 PM
gonna be ineteresting? Doesnt PENN usually vote dem?
Philly, the Plutocrats in Harrisburg (state-capitol ), and labor in dahntahn Pixburgh votes Dumbocrat, but the out-lying areas usually vote Pub:
Swann may swing a vast-majority of Pixburgh to the Pub-side, and 'Fast Eddie' Thugdell is a much-despised man after his stance on the pay-jacking last year.....

I'm not-sure what Swann's stances are on the topics, but he has 2 things going for him:
#1: he IS a very-good speaker in-public

#2: he ISN'T Ed Thugdell
:cool:

Ward took a BIG step towards Canton with his MVP award at SB-XL, but in this day-and-age of unlimited 'pass-and-tab', his numbers, playing under the Stiller 'system' of run-first/pass-second, may hurt him, but now that Cowher has Roethlisberger maturing, he may open-up the offense, as Noll did with Bradshaw from '77-on, and Hines' catch-total may increase significantly.

clevestinks
02-13-2006, 02:56 PM
Hines has a long career yet in front of him, I say another ring, and we would really know for sure that Canton was in his future

Suitanim
02-13-2006, 06:08 PM
Hmmmm...if he has a few more years being this productive, probably. If he has a few more years AND the Steelers win another Championship he's in.

In the next 5-7 years we should see:
LC Greenwood (Hopefully. He's in an awkward position since he retired in 1981, and that's the "tweener year" between the Sr Committee and the modern era.)
Rod Woodson
Dirt Dawson
Jerome Bettis

This will put us up in the rarified air of the Pack and Da Bears (and pass up the Giants) as the teams with the most HOF'ers...

3 to be 4
02-13-2006, 07:21 PM
I dont know if comparing Hines to Swanny and using Swanny's numbers as a guage. Swann is one of the most if not the iffiest guys to get into the hall of fame. I think if Hines has another 3 or 4 years of 900 or more yards he is in. Also I think any self repecting Pittsburgher would vote for Swann. Not only whould he be integral in keepin the Pens but he would also go along way to reverse the anti-Pittsburgh attitude Rendell has had carried out in the Penn. government.

as soon as I read "Swann is one of the most if not the iffiest..." i said to myself, this guy must be about 22 or 23. I looked up the profile and SURE ENOUGH. I love it when fans who never saw someone play rely solely on stats. Its this fantasy league mentality.

Frankly, this thread shocks me as all season long ive read Steelers fans insist that Ward was dfinately a hall of famer. Now suddenly thats he won a SB MVP you all seem timid about it. Cowher and Ward are IN. Done deal. That being said, Ward is no Lynn Swann.

4xSBChamps
02-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I love it when fans who never saw someone play rely solely on stats. Its this fantasy league mentality.

POST OF THE YEAR.....
:cheers:

THIS should be inscribed on the halls of Canton!
:thumbsup:

WWIIOwheelz
02-13-2006, 07:27 PM
I would say Swann was no Hines, and I'm old enough to remember. :)

Swann had magical hands, but he wasn't an over-the-middle WR like Hines is. The blocking aspect is no comparison at all. He didn't get my "favorite player on the offensive side of the ball" award lightly. :D

tony hipchest
02-13-2006, 07:29 PM
as soon as I read "Swann is one of the most if not the iffiest..." i said to myself, this guy must be about 22 or 23. I looked up the profile and SURE ENOUGH. I love it when fans who never saw someone play rely solely on stats. Its this fantasy league mentality.

Frankly, this thread shocks me as all season long ive read Steelers fans insist that Ward was dfinately a hall of famer. Now suddenly thats he won a SB MVP you all seem timid about it. Cowher and Ward are IN. Done deal. That being said, Ward is no Lynn Swann. i think those who seem timid are looking at the fact that art monk has had such a tuff time getting in and that it almost seems like the hall dont want to appear to be playing favorites to the steelers. ward is well liked and probably will have an easier time getting elected. the hall has to let players like dermonti, woodson and jerome in, plus cowher, so its not like they can intentionally keep steelers out. (getting greenwood in there would help squash this) swann and stalworth suffered the same fate as hines, being on a championship calibur team that doesnt rely on just one guy, thus a drop in numbers. i think id take a swann and stalworth over a jerry rice any day.

3 to be 4
02-13-2006, 08:36 PM
i think those who seem timid are looking at the fact that art monk has had such a tuff time getting in and that it almost seems like the hall dont want to appear to be playing favorites to the steelers. ward is well liked and probably will have an easier time getting elected. the hall has to let players like dermonti, woodson and jerome in, plus cowher, so its not like they can intentionally keep steelers out. (getting greenwood in there would help squash this) swann and stalworth suffered the same fate as hines, being on a championship calibur team that doesnt rely on just one guy, thus a drop in numbers. i think id take a swann and stalworth over a jerry rice any day.

wow!!!! any day? thats a little much. They were great but they also had each other dont forget (although John Taylor was no stiff). Swann didnt have the durability of Rice and I dont think Stallworth was quite the talent. But i'll take them on my team anyday!! (theres that any day thing again)

Milkman
02-13-2006, 08:40 PM
Hines will more than likely end up in Canton as long as he stays consistent.

tony hipchest
02-13-2006, 08:46 PM
wow!!!! any day? thats a little much. They were great but they also had each other dont forget (although John Taylor was no stiff).)correct. i would take the tandemn of swan and stallworth and their 4 champs over jerry, his #s and his 3 rings any day. no dis on jerry. he is the greatest wr of all time.

3 to be 4
02-13-2006, 08:59 PM
correct. i would take the tandemn of swan and stallworth and their 4 champs over jerry, his #s and his 3 rings any day. no dis on jerry. he is the greatest wr of all time.

aaah, good clarification. i thought you were saying each one was better than Rice.
In that case, I AGREE. Give me Swann and Stallworth over Rice and Taylor. This is where I never understand those who pick the 49ers over the Steelers. The Steelers had edge in RB, WR's, OL, DL,LB. 49ers has SLIGHT edge at QB and secondary(maybe)
but im preaching to the choir.

augustashark
02-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Hines will more than likely end up in Canton as long as he stays consistent.

For Hines to get into the hall it is 10% consistent and 90% staying healthy!

Petesburgh66
02-13-2006, 11:17 PM
Hines is now a lock for the HOF IMO.

RoethlisBURGHer
02-14-2006, 12:48 PM
I think Hines has a very good shot at the HoF.

The fact that he's not a TO or Moss I think helps him.Those guys are "me,me,me" guys.Hines is a team guy.He'll do whatever is asked of him.Moss and TO have been known to take plays "off" if they aren't the primary reciever on the play.

Moss and TO will forever be remembered for the trouble they have and will cause,Hines Ward will be remembered as the best complete reciever of his time.