PDA

View Full Version : steelers/maddox trade rumor

tony hipchest
02-12-2006, 06:57 PM
i just saw this on another board. im sure its pure speculation but it sounds interresting. thoughts?

Anyone hear the rumor they mentioned on Sirius NFL Radio.

The said the Steelers and Dolphins are talking about trading Ricky Williams for Tommy Maddox and a 3rd round pick. I guess it has something to do with Mike Mularkey being in Miami now and he likes Maddox as a short term fix or at least a mentor and backup to a young rookie QB.

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Sounds interesting but I think it's total B.S.. Ricky Williams and a 3rd round pick for Tommy Maddox? Miami would be crazy and I don't see them giving up that much for Tommy Maddox.

If Miami is looking for a "short term fix or at least a mentor and backup to a young rookie QB" I would go after Kitna before giving up Williams and a 3rd round pick for Tommy Maddox.

Eztarget
02-12-2006, 07:16 PM
:point: Ricky Williams and Maddox in the same sentence!

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2006, 07:19 PM

A third round pick and Tommy Maddox in the same sentence is at least realistic to a degree. I was thinking more along the lines of a fourth or fifth round pick at best after his performance this past season.

SteelerDan43
02-12-2006, 07:22 PM
I think he means we give Tommy and our 3rd rounder for Ricky. I for one dont like this trade. We have such good chemistry lets not bring in that social disease known as Ricky Williams

Brady12
02-12-2006, 07:22 PM
lol, Miami would deserve to lose, if they picked up Tommy Maddox.

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2006, 07:23 PM
I think he means we give Tommy and our 3rd rounder for Ricky. I for one dont like this trade. We have such good chemistry lets not bring in that social disease known as Ricky Williams

Oh, my bad. Read it wrong. Still don't see it happening. Kind of comes back to the "Jamal Lewis is a steal in FA" thread. Rooney's won't do it because the man loves his reefer and bailed out on his team.

Atlanta Dan
02-12-2006, 07:27 PM
If Maddox was thrown into a trade for Rickey Williams it would be like that cartoon rabbit allegedly being swapped to ABC as part of the deal in which Al Michaels went to NBC earlier this week - pure window dressing.

There is no doubt Maddox is going to be released - nobody will give up anything to get him when he will be on the open market prior to his upcoming bonus payment coming due.

LambertIsGod58
02-12-2006, 07:48 PM
i just saw this on another board. im sure its pure speculation but it sounds interresting. thoughts?

The said the Steelers and Dolphins are talking about trading Ricky Williams for Tommy Maddox and a 3rd round pick. I guess it has something to do with Mike Mularkey being in Miami now and he likes Maddox as a short term fix or at least a mentor and backup to a young rookie QB.

First, I'd welcome Ricky Williams....Willie Parker isn't big enough, we and Duce, to me, is all but done. I would think that Maddox would be released anyways as previously mentioned. However, Miami has Ronnie Brown....No real need for Williams. They are in more need of a QB. I'd like to see Tommy go somewhere and do well. He's a good guy, just can't get it done in Pittsburgh.

TasmanianTroy271
02-12-2006, 07:52 PM
First, I'd welcome Ricky Williams....Willie Parker isn't big enough, we and Duce, to me, is all but done. I would think that Maddox would be released anyways as previously mentioned. However, Miami has Ronnie Brown....No real need for Williams. They are in more need of a QB. I'd like to see Tommy go somewhere and do well. He's a good guy, just can't get it done in Pittsburgh.

My thoughts too, except for the whole, wanting to see Maddox do well somewhere else. I think Ricky's matured, and he's seen that "damn, after I get too old for the NFL, what am I gonna do?" I'm sure he's wasted a good amount of his money on drugs and lavishes, and I think he's thinking for his future. He ran tough for Miami this year, even thugh he knew Ronnie Brown would be their long term runner. He wants to go somewhere and work. Plus, we're probably gonna get a compensatory 3rd rounder, so it wouldn't hurt us in the draft that much. Why not bring him here?

Livinginthe past
02-12-2006, 07:52 PM
It is doubtful whether Williams would be worth a 3rd rounder - lets remember that the Hawks couldn't get a 3rd rounder of NFL MVP Shaun Alexander at this point last year.

Williams has ALOT of punishing yards put on him - he is a true between the tackles runner which will have put quite a few miles on his clock.

Maddox is worth absolutely nothing at this point.

As Atlanta Dan says - any deal which he becomes a part of will be just window dressing.

NM

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-12-2006, 07:59 PM
That would be quite a deal....
A big mistake for Miami, and big mistake if we didnt accept it......

There is no way we get someone like ricky williams for maddox.

Need4spd
02-12-2006, 09:37 PM
I don't know how what I'm about to say will be received here but I'm going to say it anyways...

Hallelujah!!! Maddox is a BUM plain and simple. Get that guy outta here as quickly as possible. The hell with Ricky, get the 3rd round pick and make Maddox Miami's problem. That's a real bargain if you ask me!

Livinginthe past
02-12-2006, 09:45 PM
I don't know how what I'm about to say will be received here but I'm going to say it anyways...

Hallelujah!!! Maddox is a BUM plain and simple. Get that guy outta here as quickly as possible. The hell with Ricky, get the 3rd round pick and make Maddox Miami's problem. That's a real bargain if you ask me!

As mentioned earlier - the Miami heads of personnel have not been smoking some of Ricky's 'for personal use' stash.

The deal would be Maddox + Pittsburgh 3rd rounder = Ricky Williams.

How anyone could believe the other scenario is beyond me.

NM

Need4spd
02-12-2006, 09:53 PM
Ok, I beg your pardon, I misunderstood what the proposed deal was. In that case, forget it, just release him and get it over with. For my money, Ricky Williams is not worth a 3rd round pick. The Steelers are not that hard up for a running back.

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2006, 10:32 PM
As mentioned earlier - the Miami heads of personnel have not been smoking some of Ricky's 'for personal use' stash.

The deal would be Maddox + Pittsburgh 3rd rounder = Ricky Williams.

How anyone could believe the other scenario is beyond me.

NM

How anybody could believe Ricky Williams for Tommy Maddox and a third round pick is beyond me.

How anybody could believe the Rooney's would pick up a player like Williams is beyond me.

Need4spd
02-12-2006, 10:34 PM
How anybody could believe the Rooney's would pick up a player like Williams is beyond me.

Agreed.

Livinginthe past
02-12-2006, 10:35 PM
How anybody could believe Ricky Williams for Tommy Maddox and a third round pick is beyond me.

Well I have to say - out of the 3 possible scenarios I know which one would make me keep pinching myself if I seen it unfold.

What next?

Troy Polamalu + 1st rounder for Curtis Martin? :blurp:

NM

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2006, 10:38 PM
Well I have to say - out of the 3 possible scenarios I know which one would make me keep pinching myself if I seen it unfold.

What next?

Troy Polamalu + 1st rounder for Curtis Martin? :blurp:

NM

All three would make me pinch myself. We are the Steelers, not the Cowboys, Raiders, Ravens or Vikings. We have something called class.

I have an idea...........let's pick up Jamal Lewis and Ricky Williams. We can have a coke head and pot head on the same team!!! Hell, while we are at it, let's get the Juice out of retirement and get Ray Lewis along side James Farrior. Rooney's would love that. Rooney Sr. would love nothing more than having a murderer, a coke head, a pot head and witness to a double homicide in which he covered up on this roster after winning a Super Bowl. Poor guy would be spinning in his grave.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-12-2006, 10:48 PM
This trade would never take place
But if it did......Were talking Tommy Maddox..who is no value to our team.
For Ricky Williams...who......may have done something unforgiven in football but would produce everyweek......and if you listen to Miami players at the end of the year, they said Ricky gaied some respect back with how hard he worked before, during , and after practice. If its on the table we take it......Who did we pick in the 3rd round last year.
Essex? He isnt gonna run like RW can

SuperMan313
02-12-2006, 10:49 PM

Wow, I don't think it'll happen, but I'm dreaming about it right now.

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2006, 10:53 PM
This trade would never take place
But if it did......Were talking Tommy Maddox..who is no value to our team.
For Ricky Williams...who......may have done something unforgiven in football but would produce everyweek......and if you listen to Miami players at the end of the year, they said Ricky gaied some respect back with how hard he worked before, during , and after practice. If its on the table we take it......Who did we pick in the 3rd round last year.
Essex? He isnt gonna run like RW can

If Ricky does join this team (Rooney's are smarter than that though), here's to hoping Ricky does not decide to go on one of his reefer conquests in India or Jamaica in order to find himself and bails out on our team and fans before training camp.

But hey, maybe we can "change" him? - Famous last words from the Eagles front office.

WWIIOwheelz
02-12-2006, 10:54 PM
You guys misunderstand Ricky Williams, I think. He's an intelligent, albeit different sort of guy. He's incredibly physically gifted, that much we know, and his past decisions landed him in-debt. He walked into the Miami camp this year with lots of question marks surrounding him, and not just by the press, but his teammates also.

He didn't demand the ball, but when it was given to him, he produced. At the end of the season, he had a 20+ point Fantasy Football day for me in my Championship game. (OK, I'm a little biased)

He was sharing carries all year, and got many, many fewer than their lead back. With regard to his health, the guy takes CARE of himself. Pot is more harmful to your lungs than anything else, and if Bob Marley could've run a 4.3 40, he'd have a contract, too.

He's a little strange, but I'm certain he's enamored with the environment of the Steelers, the tradition, the respect. I'm betting he would LOVE to come here, and this Steeler fan would love to have him! (The guy can run, bottom-line)

Call it a gut-feeling, but I think it would work. In any case, for Maddox? Err.... we can afford to throw away a 3rd round pick for the gamble, put it that way.

Stlrs4Life
02-12-2006, 11:00 PM
Sounds interesting but I think it's total B.S.. Ricky Williams and a 3rd round pick for Tommy Maddox? Miami would be crazy and I don't see them giving up that much for Tommy Maddox.

If Miami is looking for a "short term fix or at least a mentor and backup to a young rookie QB" I would go after Kitna before giving up Williams and a 3rd round pick for Tommy Maddox.

I agree. The Dolpins are not that stupid.

Livinginthe past
02-12-2006, 11:00 PM
All three would make me pinch myself. We are the Steelers, not the Cowboys, Raiders, Ravens or Vikings. We have something called class.

I have an idea...........let's pick up Jamal Lewis and Ricky Williams. We can have a coke head and pot head on the same team!!! Hell, while we are at it, let's get the Juice out of retirement and get Ray Lewis along side James Farrior. Rooney's would love that. Rooney Sr. would love nothing more than having a murderer, a coke head, a pot head and witness to a double homicide in which he covered up on this roster after winning a Super Bowl. Poor guy would be spinning in his grave.

I like it.

You have the coke dealer/abuser to give you your uppers and Ricky to supply the weed to bring you back down.

Personally I dont think what Ricky done was even in the same league as either Lewis, but I have to agree I wouldn't want him as a teammate unless he done something special to prove himself to the team.

NM

83-Steelers-43
02-12-2006, 11:07 PM
You guys misunderstand Ricky Williams, I think.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/11/21/WILLIAMS.TMP

After reading this, I don't "misunderstand" the guy. I still think he is a nut who is not dependable. He's either going to fail a drug test or bail out on your team. It's not a "misunderstanding", it's an opinon which I feel is totally understandable.

BlitzburghRockCity
02-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Maddox for Williams ?? I just spit soda all over my keyboard!! :rofl:

WWIIOwheelz
02-12-2006, 11:25 PM
2005 Miami Dolphins:

Games: 12

Games started: 3

Rushing attempts: 168

Yards: 743

Yards per carry avg: 4.4

Longest: 35

TOUCHDOWNS: 6

20+ yd rushes: 4

First Downs: 37

For Tommy Maddox, when we are going to release him anyway? You are kidding, right?

Livinginthe past
02-12-2006, 11:29 PM
I think everybody should just forget the Maddox element :rolleyes:

If this was going to happen it would be a Pittsburgh 3rd rounder for Ricky Williams.

Personally I dont it think will happen if Staley is good to go for the new season - you would have 3 backs who have legitimate claims to be a starter.

Value wise - I think i'd consider a 4th rounder for RW - not much more than that.

NM

BigBenFan4ever
02-13-2006, 12:35 AM

Well I would be happy if that happened.

OX1947
02-13-2006, 12:52 AM
Ricky Williams is not a cancer. He is a really really good football player and I think the enviroment in Pittsburgh would make him even better. Look at Corey Dillion in NE. Jerome Bettis was a problem before we traded for him. I think Ricky would be a great addition but I think he might be making too much anyways. Can someone confirm how much he makes if he were to be traded to Pitt or came after he was released by miami?

stillthere
02-13-2006, 04:06 AM
I think Ricky would be a great addition but I think he might be making too much anyways. Can someone confirm how much he makes if he were to be traded to Pitt or came after he was released by miami?

I know he was making the NFL minnimum last year. So I assume his contract is for about 400,000 per season right now.

patsdynasty
02-13-2006, 05:55 AM
What is up with the extreme hatred of Tommy Maddox? I don't watch many Steelers games. But I seem to remember him being pretty decent. Didn't he take a discount to stay in Pittsburg before Big Ben emerged?

As for Ricky Williams, It seems to make sense on the surface. If the Steelers can win 15 games with Plexico they should be able to handle Ricky's issues right? I'm not so sure. Ricky is soft. Not exactly a fit in Pittsburg.

The flip side of the argument is that Pittsburg is a running team. Staley is probably on his last legs and Willie Parker doesn't seem to be a workhorse back. He can make a nice career out being a 3rd down complimentary back. I don't think he's big enough to be a starter. Why not take a chance on Williams with the hope that you can get 1-3 decent years out him.

As far as I'm concerned, I would rather keep the pick. The only way the Steelers (or any team) can mantain their success is to draft well. Sooner or later all the underpaid Steelers are going to want to be paid. Guys will leave. You have to have solid, young, cheap players to replace them. It doesn't seem like much, but a 3rd round pick is a valuable commodity.

The only way I would deal for Ricky is if you are giving up a veteran that you no longer want. He's not worth a pick.

Suitanim
02-13-2006, 09:48 AM
Reason's this is ridiculous.
A) When was the last time the Steelers made a non-draft day trade?
B) Williams is playing at like 5 lbs LIGHTER than Willie Parker, so why do we need two Parker-sized backs?
C) Maddox is done. He has no arm strength left, and would basically be a clip board holder who can hand the ball off.

This is not going to happen, folks, nor should it. Time to move on...

BlackNGold203
02-13-2006, 10:57 AM
Why would someone trade for Maddox?

Teams will just wait for us to release him...then they will sign him for nothing.

drizze99
02-13-2006, 11:12 AM
This would be pretty crazy if it happens. I'll gladly give them Maddsux. The Dolphins management has made dumber trades in the past, so let's not discount this. They gave up a 2nd rounder for AJ Feely, LOL!

I would welcome Ricky with open arms. You guys dwelling on his past too much. People can change and I believe he has. This guy can be a top 7 back in Pittsburgh.

WeNowHave5
02-13-2006, 04:38 PM

I live down here in S FL and All I will say is NO WAY! Ricky will be a dolphin next year

Need4spd
02-13-2006, 04:55 PM
People hate Maddox because he singlehandedly was the reason why Pittsburgh was the No. 6 seed instead of the No. 2 or 3 this year. And although that worked out fine in the end, Maddox lost both of his starts badly, and was so awful you'd cringe every time he dropped back to pass. An incompletion was practically a victory, as long as it wasn't an interception or a sack-and-fumble. He's of no use to this team, and if they don't trade him, I'd be amazed if he's not cut. Everyone in the Miami front office would need to have a $500-a-day heroin habit to want this guy. I guarantee you whoever they have at quarterback is going to be better. I've never seen a human being play football as badly as Maddox did this year.

LOLOLOLOL!!! :sofunny:

It's all so true. I remember watching the Jacksonville game and rything in agony every time he dropped back to pass.

clevestinks
02-13-2006, 05:15 PM
A large pizza would be too much to give up for Maddox.

At best, I see him getting traded for a box of garbage bags...
Great response! Rep points for You:sofunny:

SteelCityMan786
02-13-2006, 07:37 PM
I don't want a weed smoker on the Steelers

blackngoldbaby
02-13-2006, 08:48 PM
i dont see that happening i dont think the dolphins r gonna want tommy he is a really nice guy! but i think it s time 4 maddox 2 retire. His career as a qb is over. but if the dolphins take him best of luck 2 tommy.

TasmanianTroy271
02-13-2006, 09:11 PM
I don't want a weed smoker on the Steelers

Geeze, when I saw this statement I just laughed. we DO have a weed smoker on the Steelers. And when he was out, we saw how it affected us and we lost. Maybe we should just cut him too...

OL Marvel Smith - (2002) Pittsburghh Steelers offensive tackle Marvel Smith is facing a marijuana possession charge. Officers were called to the Mission Palms hotel about 11:30 p.m. Friday night after someone smelled marijuana outside a room where Smith was staying, police spokesman Jeff Lane said. Police noticed the smell and contacted Smith, discovering a small amount of what was later determined to be marijuana, Lane said. The 22-year-old Smith was booked on a charge of marijuana possession and released.

I remembered this from a Radio Talk Show Host's ways to predict the playoffs last year. Whichever team had the most players with criminal records, that was the winner. Here's the link if you want it... http://www.glennbeck.com/news/01122005.shtml

Petesburgh66
02-14-2006, 12:06 AM
If some team is willing to take Maddox, I would do it in a heart beat. It's not that I don't like the guy, but he hasn't been the same since the injury in Baltimore.

bamasteeler
02-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Maddox cant even pass gas, who the hell is gonna want him....lol:sofunny:

Rotorhead
02-15-2006, 03:46 AM
Well remember, he did fairly well in Mularkey's system. Mularkey is the Off Coord of the Dolphins, and likes Maddox. It is not that far fetched to think that Maddox will be a Dolphin next year, however thinking they would trade Williams for Maddox and a 3rd rnd pick is a little crazy because we are most likely to release him and that is pretty common knowledge. The only thing I can think of is there is not alot of interest in Williams, so getting a third rounder and veteran QB (which they really need) is all they think they can get for him. If that is true, this would be a win-win for both teams. However I think that Duce will be fine next season and we wont need Williams . . . unless we cut Duce . . . too many things to think about haha

Suitanim
02-15-2006, 09:41 AM
The problem is Maddox's arm is garbage, and has been since the injury against Tennessee...and every team in the NFL knows it.

Now I have heard some trade rumors about Ricky for backup QB's, and there's no doubt that with the emergence of Ronnie Brown, his services are no longer needed in Miami, but this won't happen for Pittsburgh.

Haiku_Dirtt
02-15-2006, 02:22 PM

I'm still laughing. How's the cronic in Pittsburgh these days?