PDA

View Full Version : Arts and humanities

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Dont know if i will find anyone on here, but hopefully i will.
Having a hard time with an essay question and since i end up at this site whenever i get fed up with school work i might as well ask...

Anyone know what High Renaissance sculpture is and how we can explain Michelangelo's DAVID representing high renaissance???

Thanks
GO STEELERS

BlackNGold203
02-12-2006, 09:37 PM
Does it have anything to do with the Fire Zone Blitz?...or the Cover 2???

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-12-2006, 09:39 PM
I wish it did!!!! But Im not sure we could even find the answer using the 3-4 defense.

Livinginthe past
02-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Having a hard time with an essay question and since i end up at this site whenever i get fed up with school work i might as well ask...

Anyone know what High Renaissance sculpture is and how we can explain Michelangelo's DAVID representing high renaissance???

Thanks
GO STEELERS

Well...I was just mulling this one over with some friends the other day and the conclusion we came to was that Leonardo da Vinci can truly be described as a genius of the High Renaissance and the definitive Renaissance ‘polymath’. His genius as a painter, draughtsman, sculptor, architect, inventor and engineer exemplified the Humanist ideal.

Ok ok.....I lied.

Have a look below.

http://www.abstractloft.com/expressionist/artcrit.html

http://newssearch.looksmart.com/p/articles/mi_m0422/is_3_87/ai_n15954389

http://newssearch.looksmart.com/p/articles/mi_m1589/is_2004_Feb_3/ai_n6023669#continue

The last couple of links have a search function - so you can play around with that to find what you want.

For the original search on google I typed - "high renaissance critique"

There is alot of reading for you there

Good Luck

NM

tony hipchest
02-12-2006, 10:34 PM

Thanks
GO STEELERSok its been a while since art history but i am a michaelangelo afficianado. after the "dark ages" there was the renaissance which was pretty much a rebirth of the studies such as science, literature, art, philosophy (many studies that had been lost and shoved aside) etc. many artists in the 15th and 16th century started refering back to the classical times of the greeks from when they were at the height of their society. as stated, artists like michaelangelo and da vinci would actually preform dissections to learn the intricacies of the human form to make their works as real and anatomically correct as possible.

michaelangelos david is probably the most famous and recognized sculpture in the world and it has been for about 500 years. even with modern technology a more accurate depiction of a man in stone would be difficult to make, than what michaelangelo did with the naked eye and schetches. no one could do a better DAVID or perfect it.

it is said by some historians that michaelangelo single handedly brought an end to the high rennaisance period (an art period he helped usher in and make famous) because after all his works, noone could do anything to top them. he advanced an art period to its threshold. after him everything in the same style was looking like an immitation.

or some bullshit like that. really just reword a few sentences there and say he was the best and im sure you will get credit for the question. and if you ever need help with michaelangelo trivia (b. 1492, lived 89 years, 4years to paint the sistine ceiling for pope julius II, 7 years spent on the altar wall) i am your man.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
Rep points to you both...
Thanks

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Well here it is:

Question #3: Discuss the principles of High Renaissance sculpture as noted in the “A Matter of Style” feature box, and explain how Michelangelo’s David represents them.

The High Renaissance is characterized by impressive themes and styles. A cultural and intellectual movement of the Renaissance that emphasized material concerns as a result of the rediscovery and study of the literature, art, and civilization of ancient Greece and Rome. It is a system of thought that centers on humans and their values, capacities, and worth. In Michelangelo’s sculpture, David is naked and may represent wealth, heroism, and divine qualities. The sculpture may also represent Michelangelo’s own perception of the perfection of man, since he himself was gay. Michelangelo’s David is probably the most famous and recognized sculpture in the world. Even with modern technology a more accurate depiction of a man in stone, it would be difficult to make a more accurate duplicate of man than what Michelangelo did with the naked eye. The High Renaissance helped shape David and bring to him life like qualities.

For thoes who: Does this sound right???

Rust-Buster
02-12-2006, 11:40 PM
And here I always thought high renaissance referred to what they were smoking. Good answers, move to the head of the class.

tony hipchest
02-12-2006, 11:48 PM
lose the gay part and dont say acurate depiction/duplicate twice.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-13-2006, 11:21 AM
lose the gay part and dont say acurate depiction/duplicate twice.
DONE
Thanks...

Livinginthe past
02-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Well here it is:

Question #3: Discuss the principles of High Renaissance sculpture as noted in the “A Matter of Style” feature box, and explain how Michelangelo’s David represents them.

The High Renaissance is characterized by impressive themes and styles. A cultural and intellectual movement of the Renaissance that emphasized material concerns as a result of the rediscovery and study of the literature, art, and civilization of ancient Greece and Rome. It is a system of thought that centers on humans and their values, capacities, and worth. In Michelangelo’s sculpture, David is naked and may represent wealth, heroism, and divine qualities. The sculpture may also represent Michelangelo’s own perception of the perfection of man, since he himself was gay. Michelangelo’s David is probably the most famous and recognized sculpture in the world. Even with modern technology a more accurate depiction of a man in stone, it would be difficult to make a more accurate duplicate of man than what Michelangelo did with the naked eye. The High Renaissance helped shape David and bring to him life like qualities.

For thoes who: Does this sound right???

Homosexual is fine - gay sounds a little off - but im not too sure what is sexuality has to do with his perception of the 'perfection of man'....but then im no expert.

If you find yourself using the same descriptive word multiple times in a paragraph try using dictionary.com - and use the thesaurus option - will give you some other viable options.

Nice job so far.

NM

tony hipchest
02-13-2006, 12:49 PM
Homosexual is fine - gay sounds a little off - but im not too sure what is sexuality has to do with

If you find yourself using the same descriptive word multiple times in a paragraph try using dictionary.com - and use the thesaurus option - will give you some other viable options.

Nice job so far.

NM while michaelangelos homosexuality is widely accepted it is highly debated by scholors. people often quote a group of poems he wrote to a younger contemporary, whose work he loved and admired. he wrote the same type of poetry to women interrests in his life. having studied him quite a bit i believe he was celibate and he was definitely one whose life was devoted to God and his spirituality. he worked so much he didnt really have time for an actual love interrest or relationship.

Livinginthe past
02-13-2006, 01:16 PM
while michaelangelos homosexuality is widely accepted it is highly debated by scholors. people often quote a group of poems he wrote to a younger contemporary, whose work he loved and admired. he wrote the same type of poetry to women interrests in his life. having studied him quite a bit i believe he was celibate and he was definitely one whose life was devoted to God and his spirituality. he worked so much he didnt really have time for an actual love interrest or relationship.

Thanks Tony,

Its certainly an interesting subject - a man with that degree of genius must have found it difficult to relate to other people.......

NM

tony hipchest
02-13-2006, 01:48 PM
Thanks Tony,

Its certainly an interesting subject - a man with that degree of genius must have found it difficult to relate to other people.......

NMi love the debate of who was the greater artist. michealangelo vs. davinci.

michelangelo was definitely a surely (sp?) character. he was aloof, pretty mean and nasty, carried himself like a common laborer, often working for weeks on end with little sleep or bathing. many looked at him as down right filthy in demeanor and appearance. his social skills were definitely limited, and he had many run ins with the pope who gave him most of his commisions, getting beaten with a stick and almost thrown into the stench (prison) for disobedience.

leonardo on the other hand was very worldly, often wearing the finest clothes and hair oils, perfumes etc. hanging out with kings, queens, dignitaries, philosophers, noblemen, etc. eating the finest foods. he knew how to enjoy life. there was quite a rivalry between the 2 and even to some degree a hatred. they were polar opposites. while it seemed leonardo had a carefree attitude about his work, michaelangelo was almost haunted by his. he was miserable alot of his life and it was like he was possessed when he worked.

tony hipchest
02-13-2006, 01:58 PM
DONE
Thanks...

oh, and mention that "rennaisance" means "rebirth" in latin/italian in your intro. then say how it was a rebirth of the classical roman/greek period.

Livinginthe past
02-14-2006, 01:03 AM
i love the debate of who was the greater artist. michealangelo vs. davinci.

michelangelo was definitely a surely (sp?) character. he was aloof, pretty mean and nasty, carried himself like a common laborer, often working for weeks on end with little sleep or bathing. many looked at him as down right filthy in demeanor and appearance. his social skills were definitely limited, and he had many run ins with the pope who gave him most of his commisions, getting beaten with a stick and almost thrown into the stench (prison) for disobedience.

leonardo on the other hand was very worldly, often wearing the finest clothes and hair oils, perfumes etc. hanging out with kings, queens, dignitaries, philosophers, noblemen, etc. eating the finest foods. he knew how to enjoy life. there was quite a rivalry between the 2 and even to some degree a hatred. they were polar opposites. while it seemed leonardo had a carefree attitude about his work, michaelangelo was almost haunted by his. he was miserable alot of his life and it was like he was possessed when he worked.

Seems like people who are exceptionally gifted in one area are often deficient in another, often it seems to be people skills.

You get these massively talented mathematicians who can do amazing calculations in the blink of an eye - yet are unable to dress themselves or make a cup of coffee (sounds like me after a heavy saturday night)

I haven't made a massive study of either artist, or art in general but I have visited the Louvre - which was so huge you couldnt possibly see it all.

NM

3 to be 4
02-14-2006, 08:50 PM
Hey, Tha Rock, are you getting any of this?? I know I aint!!

Suitanim
02-15-2006, 09:14 AM
Al Davis will be back to normal this year, and that's all that matters...

Speaking of Arts and Humanities, up until a few days ago I'd always thought that Hercules was killed by the the Centaur Nessus, but I actually just read that Hercules killed Nessus with an arrow dipped in the Hydra's blood. Hercules wife dipped his shirt in Nessus' then contaminated blood, and when Hercules put the shirt on he died.

You learn something new every day!