PDA

View Full Version : Veteran free agent lineman Pitts visits with Steelers

pete74
07-28-2010, 05:35 AM
The Steelers' scramble to fill the void left in the offensive line by the season-ending injury to Willie Colon last month continues.

Veteran lineman Chester Pitts (6-foot-4, 308 pounds) visited the Steelers' South Side practice facility Tuesday, one day after the 31-year-old, eight-year veteran met with the Buffalo Bills.

Tuesday's meeting was the second time within a week the two sides have crossed paths.

Pitts worked out in Arizona for both the Steelers and Indianapolis Colts last Tuesday.

"He did visit the Steelers (Tuesday)," Pitts' agent Andrew Kessler said. "That's all I can tell you at this time."

The Steelers are still monitoring the free-agent market for a possible replacement for Colon, who tore his Achilles' tendon last month.

The Steelers signed tackle Adrian Jones last week and brought in veteran tackle Flozell Adams last month for a visit. Adams has yet to sign with any team.

The Steelers are interested in Pitts because of his experience. He has started every game of his NFL career (114) since he was drafted in the second round of the 2002 draft by the Houston Texans.

Pitts spent three of his first four years with the Texans at left tackle and the rest at left guard. He has 48 starts at tackle and 66 at left guard.

Pitts played in only two games last season before suffering a right knee injury. He underwent microfracture surgery early last season and has just gotten to the point where he has been able to work out.

scsteeler
07-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Maybe Pitts can fill that void at tackle.

steelandblood
07-28-2010, 08:56 AM
I'd feel a lot better with Pitts in the right tackle slot. Even if he's not a worldbeater any longer he's an upgrade from Colon for sure. I think Leftwich can do a decent job and keep us on the upside of the win column if we have the blocking.

scsteeler
07-28-2010, 10:05 AM
I'd feel a lot better with Pitts in the right tackle slot. Even if he's not a worldbeater any longer he's an upgrade from Colon for sure. I think Leftwich can do a decent job and keep us on the upside of the win column if we have the blocking.

If that line can't provide protection we will need a more mobile QB or run 75% of the time. If the Defense is fine then I see no reason why we can't stay in the win column.

PhantomJB93
07-28-2010, 02:22 PM
Id feel safer with Pitts than with Essex or Scott...

pete74
07-28-2010, 04:45 PM
agreed. i would take Pitts over Essex anyday at tackel

whatdoiknow
07-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Maybe is was a good thing that we didn't get Pitts after all...from kffl

Seahawks | Three players placed on PUP list
Comment (0)
Sat, 31 Jul 2010 12:19:02 -0400

The Seattle Seahawks have placed OG Chester Pitts (knee), CB Josh Pinkard (undisclosed) and FB Owen Schmitt (elbow) have been placed on the Physically Unable