PDA

View Full Version : mendenhall

Dboys
07-28-2010, 12:52 PM
As a fatasy football guy I feel like there is nothing better then asking the actual fans about a certain player then reading some magazine about the said player.

Since early spring when I started thinking about fantasy I told myself mendenhall has a player I wanted to target as a big time running back. I draft him last year too, but that was different because I could pick him up at the end.

I still feel good about mendenhall but not as good as before. I keep hearing talking of the Steelers oline is going to hold him back.

I have mendenhall as my 7th rated back. Is this a fair rating for him? Would you guys feel good if you took him as your 1st round pick?

steelerchad
07-28-2010, 02:14 PM
I think 7th is about right. Maybe a couple of slots higher. Remember, he got 1,100 yards last year in basically 11 games. He didn't start or really play until week 6 as he was in Tomlin's dog house a little bit.
I at first thought he could have a breakout season as he had 150+ yards against both SD and Denver in primetime and was ripping off 7-10 yard runs all day in both games. We are also going to focus on the run as Big Ben will be out the 1st 4 games. If we do well, that will carry over the rest of the season.

PhantomJB93
07-28-2010, 02:17 PM
For fantasy, I'd take him no sooner than 10th, and that depends on who has been taken and what the league format is. I would definitely not take him before:

Chris Johnson
Adrian Peterson
MJD
Ray Rice
Michael Turner
Frank Gore
Aaron Rodgers
Andre Johnson
Steven Jackson

Id have him personally as my 8th rated back, I think the people who say he will be better than Sjax because Sjax had back surgery are jumping the gun a little bit but thats just my opinion, Sjax has the most favorable running back schedule and has always produced in the past.

If it's PPR, I would say only take him if all the guys I already listed and Larry Fitz are gone. Don't get me wrong, I love Mendy and ideally I want a late pick in my draft so I can snag him early in rd. 2 and get one of the guys I listed as well, but I wouldn't expect him to be a more valuable fantasy option this year than the guys I listed.

Dboys
07-28-2010, 03:14 PM
I have the 8th pick in my draft btw.

I really think sjax is a great running back. But i'm afraid any time know hes going to break down. He's carrying that Rams team on his back and its going to run him into the ground.

I'm not a fan of taking a QB early so I don't be doing that.

And don't know if AJ will be there at 8 anyways.

I just really like Mendy. But I don't see him in action as much as you guys, so I just wanted your opinion.

Thanks.

vrabinec
07-28-2010, 03:54 PM
Since there's really nobody else who'll get any significant touches at Rb for the Steelers, Mendy should have around 1400 yards rushing, 200 more receiving, and 12 TD's. Figure out what you think the other guys will do, and make the decision based on that.

scsteeler
07-29-2010, 01:46 PM
I think you will see Jonathan Dwyer get a lot of touches this kid has too much talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9Yme2gczU

MassSteeler
07-29-2010, 02:06 PM
Unless I have a very high pick in the first round, I'm thinking about taking him first. I just have a better feeling about him than I do with a lot of the guys ranked ahead of him. No Ben for a while more than likely means more emphasis on the running game, which means more carries for Mendenhall. No Ben also probably means safer passes (whether it's Leftwich or Dixon starting), which could result in Mendenhall getting a lot of catches out of the backfield. I really like his potential this year fantasy-wise.

vrabinec
07-29-2010, 02:55 PM
I think you will see Jonathan Dwyer get a lot of touches this kid has too much talent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq9Yme2gczU

He better learn how to lower the shoulder pads when he hits the line, or the only thing he's gonna be touching is the practice squad.

scsteeler
07-29-2010, 08:01 PM
He better learn how to lower the shoulder pads when he hits the line, or the only thing he's gonna be touching is the practice squad.

He can be taught that. He has a lot of upside to him and will make for a great addition to the Steelers backfield.