PDA

View Full Version : steelers sign flozell 'THE HOTEL' adams

FearTroy43
07-29-2010, 05:59 PM
multiple reports saying we signed flozell adams to a multi-year deal. good news for our o-line.

The Steelers came to contract terms with veteran tackle Flozell Adams this afternoon and he will arrive in training camp with them this weekend.

Adams, 35, is a former Pro Bowl left tackle with the Dallas Cowboys. The Steelers signed him in response to losing starting right tackle Willie Colon for the season with an Achilles tendon injury.

It's unsure whether the Steelers will use Adams on the left side or the right. Max Starks, their starting left tackle, started in 2005 and 2006 at right tackle for the Steelers.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10210/1076270-100.stm#ixzz0v6xBgsfE

The Lakelander
07-29-2010, 06:28 PM
BIG BIG man ... Big Big news!

This is great news along with the signing of Adrian Jones ... we have plenty of bodies and plenty of depth now!

pete74
07-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Flozell "The Hotel" Adams has landed in Pittsburgh with the Steelers.

Adams has agreed to a two-year contract, league sources confirmed.

The former Dallas Cowboys offensive tackle should make up for the loss of starting right tackle Willie Colon(notes) for the season with a torn Achilles tendon.

Adams is a big, strong, mauling blocker. His pass-blocking isn't superb, but he can definitely move people off the line of scrimmage.

Triggerfish
07-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Great signing! The Hotel will definitely help get a push up front, especially during the first 4 games, where there should be a steady dose of Mendenhall.

Welcome to Steeler Country Mr. Adams!

aclark99
07-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Not a fancy signing but one of need.....The Hotel will be an upgrade over Colon. Let the Ravens and Bengals have all the hoopla and we will just go about our business in a quiet manner. This has the making of a great year as once again we are the under dogs.

scsteeler
07-29-2010, 07:56 PM
Good we are getting some depth at the tackle position. I hope Flozell has another year or 2 in the tank. To Bad he was a former CowGirl :chuckle::chuckle::chuckle::chuckle:

Steelerfreak58
07-29-2010, 08:08 PM
HUGE signing for the team! This is going to add so much more depth and flexibility to the line adjustments now.

steeltheone
07-29-2010, 08:52 PM
Another Senior Citizen on his last leg. I really hope he gets beat out at camp.

The Lakelander
07-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Another Senior Citizen on his last leg. I really hope he gets beat out at camp.

Wow ... so negative!

Dude, Adams is a road grader with plenty of mojo left in his tank!

This is GREAT news for our running attack ...

The signing of Flozell Adams, in my opinion, is more of a confirmation in my mind that the 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers are going to be a run dominant football team. Adams is a detriment in the passing attack, and we have a flat-footed QB starting the first 6 games. But take a good long look at our running backs now ...

Rashard Mendenhall ... Height: 5-10 Weight: 225 Age: 23
Mewelde Moore ... Height: 5-11 Weight: 209 Age: 28
Isaac Redman ... Height: 6-0 Weight: 230 Age: 25
Jonathan Dwyer ... Height: 5-11 Weight: 229 Age: 21
Frank Summers ... Height: 5-10 Weight: 240 Age: 24
Demetrius Taylor ... Height: 6-0 Weight: 273 Age: 23
Justin Vincent ... Height: 5-10 Weight: 219 Age: 27

And take a hard look at the O-Line one time ...

LT Max Starks ... Height: 6-8 Weight: 345 Age: 28
LG Chris Kemoeatu ... Height: 6-3 Weight: 344 Age: 27
C Justin Hartwig ... Height: 6-5 Weight: 312 Age: 31
RG Trai Essex ... Height: 6-5 Weight: 324 Age: 27
RT Flozell Adams ... Height: 6-7 Weight: 338 Age: 35

4n2t0
07-29-2010, 09:40 PM
I wouldn't call what he has in the tank "A lot". He'll get beat by the speed rusher but plow for the running game. Sprinkle in the fact that Ben rarely throws with rhythm or timing, well you can see what I'm getting at.

Only time will tell but I don't have a good feeling about this signing.

scsteeler
07-29-2010, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't call what he has in the tank "A lot". He'll get beat by the speed rusher but plow for the running game. Sprinkle in the fact that Ben rarely throws with rhythm or timing, well you can see what I'm getting at.

Well I already know that running the ball is a given the thing is how much more. Pre-Season will tell us a little of what we are looking at.

whatdoiknow
07-29-2010, 11:40 PM
So lets see, here's a guy who was cut from a Dallas team that is AVERAGE at best with their O-Line. Replaces Adams with a totally Raw untested newbie. And in the Months that followed, No one barely sniffs at Adams, and now all of a sudden this guy is a GREAT signing for us ??? Boy, that's gotta send a message to our own O-Line back-ups on how our coaches have little to no faith in them. I mean at 35, and out of shape really. And some one who for the past 3 years has been the leader in O-Line penalties, can someone like Foster, or Urbik, or even Hills be that bad ? Cause if a nearly washed-up, unwanted 35 year old like Adams can come right in, having never played with us and unseat all those players who HAVE at least played here for a year and know our schemes, then what's the point of even keeping them on our roster ?

Please fans, don't blow this very AVERAGE Signing out of proportion!

Merchant
07-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Don't like it, unless we got him for really cheap. Dude's getting old and I dont think his personality and attitude fit the Steelers mold, not to mention the amount of penalties he takes.

StainlessStill
07-30-2010, 01:28 AM
What exactly would you guys suggest? Our o-line is in shambles and the depth before signing Adams and Jones was lacking.

The signing of Adams solidifies plugging in a veteran and proven starter to a team that so desperately needs one. You also get a big body and a man with a reputation and also who is durable. He's only missed a handful of games within his career so this signing only made a so-so line better. We now have more options to consider heading into the season and that's never a bad thing.

supa_fly_steeler
07-30-2010, 02:41 AM
You forgot pouncey at RG

vindrow
07-30-2010, 02:50 AM
Wow ... so negative!

Dude, Adams is a road grader with plenty of mojo left in his tank!

This is GREAT news for our running attack ...

The signing of Flozell Adams, in my opinion, is more of a confirmation in my mind that the 2010 Pittsburgh Steelers are going to be a run dominant football team. Adams is a detriment in the passing attack, and we have a flat-footed QB starting the first 6 games. But take a good long look at our running backs now ...

Rashard Mendenhall ... Height: 5-10 Weight: 225 Age: 23
Mewelde Moore ... Height: 5-11 Weight: 209 Age: 28
Isaac Redman ... Height: 6-0 Weight: 230 Age: 25
Jonathan Dwyer ... Height: 5-11 Weight: 229 Age: 21
Frank Summers ... Height: 5-10 Weight: 240 Age: 24
Demetrius Taylor ... Height: 6-0 Weight: 273 Age: 23
Justin Vincent ... Height: 5-10 Weight: 219 Age: 27

And take a hard look at the O-Line one time ...

LT Max Starks ... Height: 6-8 Weight: 345 Age: 28
LG Chris Kemoeatu ... Height: 6-3 Weight: 344 Age: 27
C Justin Hartwig ... Height: 6-5 Weight: 312 Age: 31
RG Trai Essex ... Height: 6-5 Weight: 324 Age: 27
RT Flozell Adams ... Height: 6-7 Weight: 338 Age: 35

Bet on Pouncey starting not Essex.

DanRooney
07-30-2010, 04:09 AM

Romo is the same type of quarterback as Ben. He scrambles around similar to him and tries to buy time for his receivers to get open. He's just not as big and strong as Roethlisberger.

pete74
07-30-2010, 05:01 AM
So lets see, here's a guy who was cut from a Dallas team that is AVERAGE at best with their O-Line. Replaces Adams with a totally Raw untested newbie. And in the Months that followed, No one barely sniffs at Adams, and now all of a sudden this guy is a GREAT signing for us ??? Boy, that's gotta send a message to our own O-Line back-ups on how our coaches have little to no faith in them. I mean at 35, and out of shape really. And some one who for the past 3 years has been the leader in O-Line penalties, can someone like Foster, or Urbik, or even Hills be that bad ? Cause if a nearly washed-up, unwanted 35 year old like Adams can come right in, having never played with us and unseat all those players who HAVE at least played here for a year and know our schemes, then what's the point of even keeping them on our roster ?

same thing happened with james harrison and look at him now. adams has 4 pro bowls for a reason

Tone's Toes
07-30-2010, 07:12 AM
He'll take a million penalties ala Willie Colon. He may get the QB killed in pass protection. He should help the run game though and that's what they seem most worried about.

pete74
07-30-2010, 10:20 AM
Personally I would take Adams over Colon anyday

MJ5150
07-30-2010, 10:30 AM
Flozell Adams is a dirty player. How embarrassing that our Steelers would sign such a dirtbag. At one point in the not too distant past, we would never have even considered signing a player like this. Now, not only do we keep dirtbags on our team, we sign them. So sad.

As a Steeler fan, I am disgusted by this move.

-Mike

vrabinec
07-30-2010, 12:47 PM

Since all the Boyz fans are telling me that we'll regret taking Adams because he'll kill drives with penalties, I decided to compare Adams to Colon.

Game #-situation-score-penalty-did it kill the drive?

Adams:

Game 1 (TB) 2nd qtr 2nd + 10 unnecessary roughness. Killed the drive
Game 2 (NYG) No penalties
Game 3 (Car) 3rd qtr 2nd +1 false start. Didn't kill the drive (TD)
3rd qtr 3rd + 6 false start. Didn't kill the drive (got 1st down)
Game 4 (Den) No penalties
Game 5 (KC) 2nd qtr 1st + 15 false start. Killed? Put a nail it.
4th qtr 1st + 9 false start. Killed the drive
OT 2nd + 15 holding. Didn't kill the drive (TD)
Game 6 (Atl) No penalties
Game 7 (Sea) No penalties
Game 8 (Phi) No penalties
Game 9 (GB) 4th qtr 2nd + 10 false start. Didn't kill the drive (TD)
Game 10 (Wash) No penalties
Game 11 (Oak) No penalties
Game 12 (NYG) No penalties
Game 13 (SD) No penalties
Game 14 (NO) 2nd qtr 3rd + 8 Face mask. Didn't kill the drive (pass was inc. anyway, FG)
Game 15 (Wash) No penalties
Game 16 (Phi) No penalties
Game 17 (Phi) 4th qtr 1st + 20 Unnecessary roughness. Killed? Put a nail in it.
Game 18 (Min) No penalties

So, in 18 games, he had 9 penalties (1 every 2 games) for 80 yards that killed 2 drives and arguably put the final nail in the coffin of 2 others.

Colon:

Game 1 (Tenn) No penalties
Game 2 (Chi) 2nd qtr 3rd + 10 false start. Killed? put a nail in it
Game 3 (Cin) 3rd qtr 2nd + 9 holding. Didn't kill the drive (TD)
Game 4 (SD) 4th qtr 3rd + 25 false start. Killed? Put a nail in it.
Game 5 (Det) 2nd qtr 2nd + 3 false start. Killed the drive
Game 6 (Cle) 2nd qtr 1st + 10 holding. Didn't kill the drive (TD)
Game 7 (Min) No penalties
Game 8 (Den) 4th qtr 2nd + 13 false start. Didn't kill the drive (TD)
Game 9 (Cin) No penalties
Game 10 (KC) 3rd qtr 1st + 10 holding. Didn't kill the drive, got the 1st down
Game 11 (Balt) No penalties
Game 12 (Oak) No penalties
Game 13 (Cle) No penalties
Game 14 (GB) No penalties
Game 15 (Balt) No penalties)
Game 16 (Mia) 4th qtr 3rd + 14 holding. Didn't kill the drive (pass went for 8, penalty declined)

So, Colon had 8 penalties in 16 games (1 every 2 games, just like Adams) for 60 yards, killed 1 drive and Put the nail in the coffin of 2 more.

Not a lot of difference. Looks like both guys struggled early in the year, so I expect Adams to struggle early with the Steelers as he gets used to the cadence (and after Ben comes back), but I don't see the penalties as being any more prevelant than what Willie had, especially when you consider that Adams usually faced the opponent's best pass rusher on the left side while Colon didn't over on the right.

rbryan
07-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Adams was shown the door in Dallas because he thought he was worth big $ for past performance.

He realizes now that he's not going to get that type of contract and hopefully will play with a chip on his shoulder. I'm guessing he signed for close to the minimum. Time will tell if he has anything left but this signing can't hurt IMO.

pittguy578
07-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Adams is no dirtier than some of the players on the Steelers currently-I would rather have someone that plays with emotion and gets fired up here and there than Colon who appeared to be going through the motions at times. Adams is an upgrade over Colon in the run game. I don't think he will do any worse than Colon in pass blocking. Would the Steelers have signed him in the past? Probably not. But they realize their chance of a championship is probably fading with the aging of their players and they cannot take the chance of an untested rookie and they also realize they will have to run the ball the first 4 games because the commish suspended Ben for 4 games for doing nothing worse than most other NFL players do in their free time. Is he going to suspend every player that goes out and drinks and has sex with some random girl?

kirklandrules
08-02-2010, 02:42 PM
At first, I wasnít too sure about this transaction. But seeing $0 guaranteed and a very reasonable salary for the next two years, I do like this signing. If the guy really is washed up we dump him and we lose nothing. If he works out, then we have a good player for cheap that wants to be here and isnít playing for the money. And itís not like heís taking up valuable roster positions Ö Iím mean just look at some of the guys we have slotted at RT. Itís a gamble, but very little downside and if he plays even close to his potential then Iíd say thereís a nice upside Ö especially since heís trying to prove heís not a washed up fat pig.

spyboots
08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
According to some of the Cowboy forums, he has a problem hearing out of his right ear so cannot hear the calls well when he plays on the left. Tomlin is putting him on the RIGHT.

pancake
08-02-2010, 05:52 PM
I like willie, but I still think Flozell might be an upgrade. Flo has troubles with some speed rushers, but will mostly not see the best pass rusher on the right side. They say he still has plenty left in run blocking and his contract is not that big or with bonuses, I like the move... :applaudit:

Welcome to the Steelers Flozell... :hatsoff: :wave:

FourThreeMafia
08-04-2010, 12:21 AM
With school going on, I honestly didnt know we signed him until today.

Its an upgrade over what we have behind the starters, but anyone saying he is an upgrade of Colon either hasnt watched Adams play in 3 years or just being a homer with wishful thinking.

Colon is far from great, but saying Adams has alot left is a dramatic overstatement. He is a decent stopgap at best. I will take him this year because Colon is injured, but honestly, this is nothing at all worth being excited about.

BKAnthem
08-04-2010, 12:12 PM

This is what happens when you draft the way the steelers have on the O line the last couple of years....