PDA

View Full Version : This off season is going to be interesting..Can we sign a good player.

BigBenFan4ever
02-13-2006, 01:54 PM
There are 7 teams this year that are 10 Mil or more over the salary cap. If we could get out salary cap 10 Mil or so below the cap number for 2006. We could sign a very good player. With these teams they are going to need to cut some good players to get under the cap. The teams are Atl, Ten, Was, KC, Den, NYJ, and Oak.

Out of these teams are there any player that you think would help our team?

tony hipchest
02-13-2006, 01:57 PM
k. vanden bosch d.e. from tenn.

WeNowHave5
02-13-2006, 01:59 PM
how about the Ravens big back Jamaal Lewis to replace Bettis?

OX1947
02-13-2006, 02:07 PM
If I had a choice, i would prefer to sign all of our important free agents and draft well. Main free agents being El, Ike, Hope, townsend....

BigBenFan4ever
02-13-2006, 02:08 PM
I wish I knew the players on these teams that might be cut becuase of the cap.

Anyone have an artical on that?

TasmanianTroy271
02-13-2006, 04:21 PM
The Atlanta Falcons have 5 FA Safeties this year. 3 are 28 years old, and have started at FS in the NFL; Ronnie Heard, Antuan Edwards, and Keion Carpenter. One of them is gonna be cut, and probably won't cost that much money. Interesting to look into...

For Tennessee, it'd be interesting to get Vanden Bosch, but who would we replace? Aaron Smith or Kiesel/Kimo, whoevers starting next year. I think we're pretty good at DE, all we need is a little depth..

Plus, Ron Dayne from Denver'd be an interesting idea if we did end up cutting Staley...

Stlrs4Life
02-13-2006, 04:55 PM

Definately, but the secret is out on this guy now after yesterdays Pro Bowl. But it will be hard for us because we are still over the cap, even when the cap increases to $95 mill. And we have our own FAs that we would like to resign.

schoondog
02-13-2006, 05:08 PM
I wish I knew the players on these teams that might be cut becuase of the cap.

Anyone have an artical on that?

you were the one that brought up this topic, one would think you would have that ready for us

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
02-13-2006, 05:11 PM
I would like to get abraham off of the JETS

clevestinks
02-13-2006, 05:27 PM
I do like this idea, all the Jamal Lewis garbage, forget it!

tony hipchest
02-13-2006, 05:47 PM
I do like this idea, all the Jamal Lewis garbage, forget it! i like von oelhoffen and keisel. if its not broke dont fix it, but 2 things i heard the steelers needed ALL year were a stretch the field big receiver, and a de who could get after the qb. of course these cries were the loudest when we were around 7-5 and what we REALLY needed was a healthy big ben. that being said vanden bosch is the typical type of free agent aquisition the steelers usually make. a player that alot of people say "who?". kind of like when we signed von oelhoffen or j. hartings. he is not a big name high profile name and he played for the league minimum last year so any payraise is gonna be pretty significant for him. do i think the steelers NEED to go in this direction? no, and they probably wont but i bet you they give him a look to see if him or keisel will demand the same amount of $$$$. if so the steelers have a dificult decision to make. he is the type of players the steelers like to look at just to see if they can get a hell of a deal on someone who will produce and be a fixture for 5-7 years on a long term deal. but as stlrs4life said, he will be on alot of teams radar after his #'s this year and yesterdays preformance. as for jon abraham youre looking at 2 ends who are likely to have about the same numbers, give or take a few sacks. one will be about twice as much as the other and steelers will always try to find the bargain.

a deal with a player like vanden bosch will probably be the biggest splash the steelers would even think of making in this off season.

Suitanim
02-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Vanden Bosch, again, is a 4-3 DE. He's a little too big to play OLB, and a little too small as a 3-4 DE. He's listed at 278, but he looks smaller than that to me. Either way, I'd hate to ask the guy to gain weight and have him lose that quick first step.

tony hipchest
02-13-2006, 07:41 PM
Vanden Bosch, again, is a 4-3 DE. He's a little too big to play OLB, and a little too small as a 3-4 DE. He's listed at 278, but he looks smaller than that to me. Either way, I'd hate to ask the guy to gain weight and have him lose that quick first step. good point. as stated im happy with keisel an von oelhoffen and whatever youngster we may draft. the point with vanden bosch is if we do pick up any free agents it will not be anyone everybody "ooohs" and "ahhhhs" over. kinda like cedric wilson last year.

BigBenFan4ever
02-14-2006, 07:54 AM
you were the one that brought up this topic, one would think you would have that ready for us

I wish i had one I have searched everywhere I think they are waiting until March 2nd to release a list.

neohiobill
02-15-2006, 05:18 PM
i don't anticipate much action in the fa market,, aside from signing our own and all won't get done. we are a team built via the draft and content with keeping key players that are known in the system. i'm curious as to how we are going to deal with hartings and his salary and the center position. is chukkey okobi the answer? i'm not sure,,, go steelers,,

BlitzburghRockCity
02-15-2006, 06:46 PM
how about the Ravens big back Jamaal Lewis to replace Bettis?

No thanks...his reputation and attitude preceeds him way to much to ever become a Steeler

DIESELMAN
02-16-2006, 04:53 AM
news flash from FoxSports on Vanden Bosch....hes close to coming to terms on a 4yr deal..http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5335310

XxKnightxX
02-16-2006, 08:22 AM

He wouldnt fit in our system as a starter but a good pickup would be a low cost pass rushing DE on nickel and dime situations and try to resign kiesel and von oelhoffen. This offseason is going to be hard since we are losing many role players in the defense but we also have to see on the CBA if an agreement is reached or else well have a capless season and the whole league will get f'ed up.

pittsburgh$teelersfan
02-16-2006, 10:46 PM
If I had a choice, i would prefer to sign all of our important free agents and draft well. Main free agents being El, Ike, Hope, townsend....

agree I really hope that we resign hope, el, and ike taylor.The one person I really want back is ike taylor.